2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
In my last thread, I asked advice regarding a Steinway Model A vs a Model B. Having read the posts, I feel comfortable choosing the 7' grand piano. My preference is towards Steinway, not because of the name, but because I genuinely love the sound. However, having said that, Mason & Hamlin is a very close second as I do so enjoy the sound from the M&H Model BB. I am close to purchasing a Steinway Model B, but the cheaper/discounted price of the M&H Model BB is quite attractive. Can anyone offer advice/info/comparison regarding these two models, the Steinway Model B and the Mason & Hamlin Model BB?

B
B
I recently bought a new M&H BB. I love it, but keep in mind I've only had it for a few months. Things I find appealing:
1. The action is extremely predictable. I think the company is headed in the right direction using a carbon fiber action - it should be immune to humidity changes.
2. The bass is the most resonant of any of the 7 foot pianos I have played.
3. The dampers are well aligned for half pedaling.
4. I liked the tone more than any other piano I tried while shopping (I played over 100 grands at several different dealers including several I could not afford - new and used Bosendorfer, Steinway and others).

I've always enjoyed a good and predictable Steinway. Unfortunately, most of the Steinways I have played I have not enjoyed playing for a variety of reasons (uneven action, voicing, pedal weirdness or other issues). A new Steinway B was not in my budget. The used/rebuilt Steinways I tried (I tried a lot of them in various dealerships) I was not impressed with. About 10 years ago I had a 1905 Weber 7' rebuilt, and had nothing but trouble with the action and voicing and a zillion other issues. For these reasons I was inclined on new with a warranty from a dealer.

My only advise is to ignore the brand and before you buy one - try it several different days for a few hours each day in the store (with a variety of repertoire). You mentioned you genuinely love the sound of Steinways - are you set on a specific piano, or is the dealer just going to give you a random B? I've always been amazed how two identical models can sound so different in the same space.

Best of luck in your decision!

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Well I think the Steinway B will look more shapely in your living room than the chubby Mason Hamlin BB. If you can find a Mason Hamlin BB that you love as much as the Steinway B than get the BB. If you still prefer the Steinway B and have the bucks, well then the Steinway B would be the obvious choice IMHO.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Of course, the new Mason BBs are just a different kind-of Steinway, nothing at all like the vintage BBs.

If I were seeking real Mason tone, I'd even settle for a Rochester BB.

However, if you really like Steinways, and who doesn't, I think that the new Mason BB is a very viable alternative.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you prefer the sound of the Steinway B, only you can decide whether the extra cost(around double a Mason BB)is worth the difference in price.

T
T
It sounds like you would enjoy either one of these lovely instruments. In that case, I'd recommend thinking of it this way, two years down the road will you be happier that you went with the better price, or will you wish you had gotten what you originally set out to purchase? Have you always had a vision of owning a Steinway, or has your vision just been of owning a high caliber grand piano? The only correct answer is the one that you will be happiest with now and (more importantly) in the future.

T
T
The difference in price would amount to pennies on the dollar in the long run. I'd say get what you prefer.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I wouldn't consider the price of a new Mason & Hamlin BB to be inexpensive. Less expensive than a Steinway B. But, hardly "cheap". And if you think of the Mason as being a substitute for what you really want, you won't be happy with it at any price.

So as someone above said, forget the name on the fallboard. Play a lot of pianos. Find one you love. At these prices, you should truly love what you buy. And if you can't say that about a particular piano, then it's not one you should buy regardless of what brand.

You are fortunate to be able to choose from among very well made pianos. Buy one you really can't be without.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If you prefer the sound of the Steinway B, only you can decide whether the extra cost(around double a Mason BB)is worth the difference in price.

A Steinway B at around $92,400.00 is hardly "double" the price of a Mason & Hamlin BB at around $64,454.00.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Those are the Suggested Maximum Prices for the two pianos, which is just the beginning point for price negotiations (except for Steinway). A Steinway dealer probably won't budge on his price, while the Mason & Hamlin dealer will. Thus the OP could possibly get a Mason & Hamlin BB for significantly less than the SMP.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So, let's figure a 10% discount from Fine's SMP on the S&S and a 25% discount on the M&H, just for the sake of conversation. That amounts to $83,140 vs $48,341.

Todd, $35k is far from "pennies on the dollar" in the long run...

Granted, if you have the means, and it's what you like the best, far be it from me to steer you away from a good B. Are you considering a factory selection?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The bottom line is: selling a piano is hard and the risk is to have to take a considerable loss.
IF you have the money, BUY the piano you love and don't look back....

if you love the S&S sound, get a S&S and as terminal degree suggests... consider factory selection.
I went a couple of times close to sell my kawai to buy an estonia or a mason and hamlin... losing a significant amount of money on the kawai and not being totally satisfied with the sound and feel of those pianos that are actually in my reach right now.
I would always look back thinking... I should have waited couple of more years or something like that.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by kjherlong
Can anyone offer advice/info/comparison regarding these two models, the Steinway Model B and the Mason & Hamlin Model BB?
They are both great pianos. The best thing you can do is spend a lot of time with each one, and get to know them really well.

I agree with the earlier post that mentioned a difference in vintage BB vs new BB. My point to mentioning that is that there are almost three different pianos involved in the question you are considering.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Well, I agree with everyone here: you should buy the piano that better fits your dreams.
I recently bought a Mason & Hamlin BB 2013, new, after playing about 40 different grandpianos of its size, and can assure you I couldn't be more happy with my decision. laugh
One point you should consider is the modern composite material action that should prevent humidity related problems with your piano in the long term.
If you wish, please go to my profile here in PW, and you'll find pictures and Youtube links for my instrument (also search YT for MH BB). I hope it will help you in your decision.
Best wishes!

Piano.Brazil
1987 Baldwin SD10, 2013 Mason&Hamlin BB, 2007 Euterpe/Bechstein 160, 1924 Hoepfner Upright
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Get the one you like better. Since this will likely be a forever piano the difference in cost should not be the deciding factor.

Originally Posted by LJC
Get the one you like better. Since this will likely be a forever piano the difference in cost should not be the deciding factor.
So you'll pay him the difference? I always like to ask this question when posters recommend the more expensive or larger piano.

I think the extra 38K-45K depends on the OP's finances and how much better he likes the Steinway. If he preferred the Mason there would have been nothing to ask. Almost any piano is a compromise until one reaches an astronomical figure.

L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
"So you'll pay him the difference? I always like to ask this question when posters recommend the more expensive or larger piano.

I think the extra 38K-45K depends on the OP's finances and how much better he likes the Steinway. If he preferred the Mason there would have been nothing to ask. Almost any piano is a compromise until one reaches an astronomical figure."

Why ask a question you always get the same answer to? Of course he has to be able to afford the difference. Why would there be a question if he can't afford it? Of course if one is willing to look long enough there are older but very good used pianos out there that will be much less expensive.

Originally Posted by LJC
"So you'll pay him the difference? I always like to ask this question when posters recommend the more expensive or larger piano.

I think the extra 38K-45K depends on the OP's finances and how much better he likes the Steinway. If he preferred the Mason there would have been nothing to ask. Almost any piano is a compromise until one reaches an astronomical figure."

Why ask a question you always get the same answer to? Of course he has to be able to afford the difference. Why would there be a question if he can't afford it? Of course if one is willing to look long enough there are older but very good used pianos out there that will be much less expensive.
I don't always get that answer and in fact I don't think it makes much sense. Being "able to afford something" isn't just a black and white issue unless the OP is very wealthy (or relatively poor) and then he would just buy the Steinway no questions asked.

I always ask the question because many posters seem more than willing to spend other people's money. That's why such a huge percent recommend buying the more expensive piano whenever anyone asks. But if they had to pay the difference they might be in less of a rush to spend the extra money.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The number of pianists who buy a great model BB or B and regret it are very few, whether new or properly rebuilt.

The one technical issue with a very few Steinway grands since about 1960 that will doom the piano from greatness is if the factory hardened the capo d'astro bar.

The standard advice to have any fine piano inspected before purchase by a technician should include having them determine the hardness of the capo bar. If when you take a small metal file and start to work the capo bar under the plate strut where the strings don't go and the sound it makes is akin to two metal files rubbing together-the bar is hardened. The repair entails modifying the plate. That is not cheap.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
S
You gotta go with what your gut tells you! Both are superb instruments.

My story... when I was searching for a piano I was comparing everything I played to my teacher's Steinway, which, I didn't realize at the time was a B. Nothing I played, not even the 6-foot Steinways could match that Steinway B sound I was looking for. Then I tried a M&H baby grand. I was immediately intrigued by the sound. After trying a couple other Masons in the 6 foot category, I was hooked on the M&H sound. Still, technical issues prevented me from buying anything until I played on what was to become my BB. It was the first BB I tried and it knocked my socks off!

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission