Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
143 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, AssociateX, anotherscott, Balezin Dmitry, ajames, accordeur, Agent88, 30 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343397
10/30/14 02:07 PM
10/30/14 02:07 PM
Suffolk, England
W
Withindale Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Withindale  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

Suffolk, England
Rafael and A454.7

The key bushings are 110 years old and need replacing. It seems sensible to deal with any outsize centre pin holes at the same time. You would have a fit at the twist on a few of the front pins. Thank you for your advice.

Last edited by Withindale; 10/30/14 02:11 PM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
(ad 800)
PTG Convention
PTG Journal
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: ando] #2343400
10/30/14 02:16 PM
10/30/14 02:16 PM
Colorado
I
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Inlanding  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Colorado
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by Paul678

To Rafael and Chris: Take it easy, guys! Lordy! I was
just kidding! laugh

But I have to admit, I don't have much tolerance for people
who insist that everyone do things their way, and ONLY their
way!

Paul, I don't think your brand of "humour" is working that well for you. You've just put off two guys who have gone out of their way to be helpful to you. For a guy with so many questions, can you afford to be ticking off such helpful people?

I'm a casual observer around here for the most part, but it's quite apparent to me that you are a rank beginner in the tech world - maybe you should pull your head in and lose the arrogance. Chris has the right to withdraw from your little sideshow if he doesn't like what you're doing. He's been unbelievably generous to you. How about you pay him some respect and apologise instead of telling him to lighten up and appreciate how funny you are?

While I'm at it, I may as well be honest and tell you that you ask far too many questions. I don't think you even bother to think a lot of them through before you post them, asking for opinions, and then having various issues with those opinions. This isn't the "Paul" forum, it's for all the great techs who come here. How about being a bit more judicious in what you ask so you don't wear out your welcome and clog up the place with all your minutia.

Key word: respect. Get some.

+1, ando

Paul, my informed opinion is that you first learn the correct way to do things before asking for advice on a shortcut, then argue about it with the folks who are giving you the advice. It's simply bad form.

There is a wealth of knowledge here from techs that've been there and done that when they started to learn - it's invaluable to me. Your posts often create more noise than value.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Withindale] #2343406
10/30/14 02:26 PM
10/30/14 02:26 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
I glue in paper shims. It is no big deal.

Semipro Tech
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343423
10/30/14 03:17 PM
10/30/14 03:17 PM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
C
Chris Leslie Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Chris Leslie  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C

Canberra, ACT, Australia
Turning front rail pins is fine for moderately worn new-ish bushes, and if the front rail pins have not already been turned. It is less fine otherwise. I do several re-bushings each year and mostly there is severe wear and the pins have been turned already. The reason is that turned pins accelerates the wear on the already worn bushes.

Inlander is right about learning the proper way first. When you have the experience, then you are better able to judge how appropriate the shortcut way will be for each circumstance.

Chris Leslie ARPT
Piano technician
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343536
10/30/14 09:17 PM
10/30/14 09:17 PM
Oregon Coast
T
TunerJeff Offline
500 Post Club Member
TunerJeff  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Oregon Coast

I use the Bushmaster and brass cauls for rebushing the keys. High quality felt from Pianotek works best. Hide glue. I was always taught that turning the keypins greatly accelerated the wear on the bushings...literally making sure that they WILL have to be rebushed in the near future, and sooner than if left alone; you change a wide oval pin guiding the key to two narrow edges of the pin slicing into the bushings = faster wear. So, my preference is not to try and hide an issue with a temporary fix, and possibly accelerating the death of the bushings. But.... I ain't gonna say 'No' to your decision on a beater-piano...just don't expect ME to do it!

Also....

http://www.spurlocktools.com/

Bill has a very good system for key rebushing and a great 'Tech Tip' section on using Hide Glue.

Take a look!

Just another,
.02----ching!

Last edited by TunerJeff; 10/30/14 09:24 PM.

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343558
10/30/14 10:54 PM
10/30/14 10:54 PM
Manywheres
A
A454.7 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A454.7  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Manywheres
I've heard the "turning the pin will accelerate the ware" spiel many times. I don't get it; that makes no sense to me--if the bushings are loose, they need to be replaced: game over! Oh, wait...no...we can turn the pins and extent their life, with a more precision fit. Sounds like a win-win to me. The 'right' thing is to replace, but even more 'right' should the fit consistently be.

Masters degree in piano technology, +factory(s) training, etc., blah, blah, yada, yada, yada...[uncensored break-out in song]..."it don't mean a thing, if you aint got that swing."
--Klavierbaukuenstler des Erwachens--
Email: klavierbaukuenstler@gmail.com
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343572
10/31/14 12:19 AM
10/31/14 12:19 AM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
A454.7,

I thought we were talking about an old upright with worn bushings in both rails.

It will help a little to turn the front rail pins, but then what are you going to do with the balancing rail bushings?

Are you going to bend back the pins? Are you going to punch the wood around the mortises? (In the sharps there is no much wood to punch). Are you going to pour in some alcohol using no cauls, no iron?

Are you going to repair the piano with no tools but your fingers? With no supplys, just "treating" what is left in the piano after 70-100 years of use?

IMO a 70-100+ years old piano requires and deserves new bushings. And new "many other things" if you pretend to continue making music with it.

Is it really so expensive or difficult to rebush the keys?

Oops! Maybe. If you have no hot pot, no key easing pliers, no sizing cauls, no hide glue, no bushing felt, no caliper, no experience....

So let's turn and bend the pins with your fingers and pour some alcohol with a syringe.

Is that what you advocate for?

PS: Can someone with no tools, no supplies, no experience and no passion for what he is doing correctly repair a piano?

And if you (and/or others) think I am a nazi, go take the technical PTG exam with this "repairs" of twist, bend and pour with no tools, no supplys and see how much you score.

Last edited by Gadzar; 10/31/14 12:50 AM.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician
rafaelmelo@afinacionpianos.com.mx

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343700
10/31/14 11:55 AM
10/31/14 11:55 AM
P
Pian-O-Tech Offline
Pian-O-Tech  Offline
P

We all know the way to fix a piano is to dump various mixtures on different areas of the piano until it works. All this technical stuff is just obfuscation so nobody finds out how easy it really is.

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343716
10/31/14 12:59 PM
10/31/14 12:59 PM
Manywheres
A
A454.7 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A454.7  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Manywheres
Gadzar, bushings that are worn, should be replaced...ideally, with a high quality material like leather which also helps to keep the pin polished. In the end, the function is what matters: keys should not wobble R/L during play.

If a key is not properly spaced, bending the pin is not the right thing to do...when the bushing is actually what is at fault. The 'right' thing to do in that situation is to re-bush that key properly to re-space the key. My approach is to find and fix the problem, not to introduce a new one into the system...when at all possible.

Do I bend the pins to space the keys? It depends on the situation: most of the time, that is the best way to make a TINY adjustment R/L. But, any major adjustments should really be made at the bushing. As, that is the 'right' thing to do.

Compared to 5-10 mins of regulating the pin rotation to get consistent and predicable key movement, re-bushing is a rather invasive and major undertaking. If there is felt there to work with, then I work with it.

Masters degree in piano technology, +factory(s) training, etc., blah, blah, yada, yada, yada...[uncensored break-out in song]..."it don't mean a thing, if you aint got that swing."
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343748
10/31/14 02:53 PM
10/31/14 02:53 PM
jacksonville
harpon Offline
harpon  Offline

jacksonville
I've just replaced the balance rail felts on my Baldwin Hamilton studio-

the felts were about $11 delivered on ebay- and several thicknesses available-

I had tried to measure the thickness as best as I could and it seemed that none would be as thick as what was already on it-
the trouble- the usual I suppose- the felts compressed unevenly- more towards the center of the keyboard and less toward the outer-

I ordered two sets of felts to make up the difference-

the first set got here and much closer to the original ones than I expected- not sure how those slightly over another millimeter will affect it all- I think the thickest available at the site would have served me well alone, but other thin ones are still coming from China, and I'm going to stack them over what I put on already. If it ends up too tall, I'll have to order the thickest set alone, and will have wasted about $15.

but I got anxious and put the others in- very immediate improvement in action- more than you'd expect- but the keys now require some leveling again- I'd done that with paper cutouts last month-

the cutouts were almost as much as the felts and wish I'd just done that first! The felts accomplished a lot of leveling automatically.

Anyway getting an education on it all- the front rail felts are next- I had to defray some costs and only so much time-

but doing it all together would probably take less time-

also want to replace red felt over the back of the keys- just to spruce up the appearance as much as anything- I think that's only about $5.

Anyway- so I took the old felts and put them in a jar and shook them up in soapy water and then let them dry- seemed to fluff them up, and they definitely look cleaner-

probably keep them around for reference or to give away- but of course, even refluffed, they would still reflect uneven compression - so it's not like I'd use them as a set again- at 11 or 12 dollars a new set- why worry about reconditioning the old?-

nothing will even them up again-

I suppose you could carefully replace the middle keys with the end felts and vice versa and have some result from it-

but all new balance and front rail felts are less than $25-
a small investment for what may be a lot of improvement , and a real hedge against the instrument's age otherwise.

Last edited by harpon; 10/31/14 03:01 PM.
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343750
10/31/14 03:04 PM
10/31/14 03:04 PM
jacksonville
harpon Offline
harpon  Offline

jacksonville
Here's the site, and if you punch up his store, you'll find some good instructional videos on some of the ads:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piano-Felt-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e669f152

I've got a folder on my favorites I keep all the piano stuff in, to easily find it later.

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: harpon] #2343760
10/31/14 03:30 PM
10/31/14 03:30 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
Balance rail punchings are not balance rail bushings.

Semipro Tech
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343844
10/31/14 07:45 PM
10/31/14 07:45 PM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
A454.7,

I agree 100% on all you said in your last post.

I've never spaced the keys by bending the front rail pins.

I've never bended (sideways) the balancing rail pins to level a key if the bushings are at fault.

I've never bended the balancing rail pins forwards or backwards, to make them touch the unworn part of the bushing felt. I must add that I even didn't know it was made by others.

I've never turned the front rail pins, except when working for a dealer who explicitly asked me to do so.

I usually try to work for people who has the money and the disposition to give their pianos the required maintenance. I avoid clients who ask me to repair their pianos with insufficient budget, just the same as I refuse to tune a piano in just one pass for half my fare. I don't do that kind of business.

Last edited by Gadzar; 10/31/14 07:48 PM.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343862
10/31/14 08:30 PM
10/31/14 08:30 PM
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
M
Mark Cerisano Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Mark Cerisano  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
I thought you were talking about center pins. I often turn the front rail pins on older pianos. I also bend the balance rail pins back. Also, I have been known to use my voicing tool to size center pins by inserting the needle in the space between the felt and the wood, but in the wood. This squeezes the bushing felt around the pin. Similar to the method of sizing the balance rail hole.

Well, if turning the front rail pins is good enough for
you, that's what I'll do on my old piano.

When you say you bend the balance rail pin back, do you mean
you put a bend in the middle of the pin? So that the pin
will contact "new", un-compressed felt?

So basically you are saying you can needle the wood to expand
it to some degree, right? For both the front and balance holes,
right?

I take a screw driver and tap the balance rail pin back. So I assume the pin bends at the bottom.

The needle technique for balance rail holes is usually done with a watered down carpenter's glue. It's called "glue sizing". Without the glue, the hole might loosen up again. I've never heard of it for front rail holes.

The needling technique I use without the glue is for center pin bushings which are very sensitive to changes in size. It is not generally accepted as proper since we cannot assess the tightness of each bushing as we can while inserting new pins in each bushing. But for some cases where the owner's will not pay for that amount of work, or their budget allows for only a certain amount of work to be done, this can make a small difference.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 10/31/14 08:50 PM.

Mark Cerisano, RPT, B.Sc.(Mech.Eng), Dip.Ed.(Music)
www.howtotunepianos.com
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Withindale] #2343865
10/31/14 08:41 PM
10/31/14 08:41 PM
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
M
Mark Cerisano Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Mark Cerisano  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted by Withindale
A related question. What are the options if the balance pin holes at the bottom of the keys are also worn (longways, sideways)?

We had a demonstration at our chapter where a member used a system with plastic washers whose inside diameter was appropriate for the diameter of the balance rail pin.

The old keys were drilled out with a mortise type bit and the plastic washers were glued into place.

I know what you are talking about. When those holes get elongated, they can be quite a bit, and there's not much you can do.

I've also heard of techs lining up the keys and routering out a channel, then replacing with hardwood and redrilling. Quite a lot of work and requires super human accuracy and precision. But it was done once.

www.howtotunepianos.com
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Mark Cerisano] #2343881
10/31/14 09:35 PM
10/31/14 09:35 PM
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Paul678  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
P

I take a screw driver and tap the balance rail pin back. So I assume the pin bends at the bottom.

The needle technique for balance rail holes is usually done with a watered down carpenter's glue. It's called "glue sizing". Without the glue, the hole might loosen up again. I've never heard of it for front rail holes.

The needling technique I use without the glue is for center pin bushings which are very sensitive to changes in size. It is not generally accepted as proper since we cannot assess the tightness of each bushing as we can while inserting new pins in each bushing. But for some cases where the owner's will not pay for that amount of work, or their budget allows for only a certain amount of work to be done, this can make a small difference.

Ok, I have turned the front rail pins a bit on a few keys, and it seems to be less loose.

But how do you turn the pins without gouging the smooth surface?

They are on there quite tightly....

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343917
11/01/14 01:13 AM
11/01/14 01:13 AM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
C
Chris Leslie Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Chris Leslie  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C

Canberra, ACT, Australia
With the proper tool and underneath the punching. Scratching the pin is a good way to get more wear on the bush.

Chris Leslie ARPT
Piano technician
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343922
11/01/14 02:08 AM
11/01/14 02:08 AM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
If you really want to "turn the front pins judiciously" as you say maybe you should buy one of this:

[Linked Image]

But you can use a pair of pliers or whatever you have used for the pins you have already turned.

Ok, I have turned the front rail pins a bit on a few keys, and it seems to be less loose. 

Do it now, ask later...

Last edited by Gadzar; 11/01/14 02:14 AM.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343927
11/01/14 02:37 AM
11/01/14 02:37 AM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
A454.7,

Do you understand now what I am talking about?

Someone with no knowledge, with no experience, with no tools... he happily damages things.

Future piano techs have to study, learn and practice the proper way of doing repairs before they begin using short cuts.

Paul is already charging people for what he does on their pianos.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2343958
11/01/14 05:30 AM
11/01/14 05:30 AM
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
M
Mark Cerisano Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Mark Cerisano  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

The needle technique for balance rail holes is usually done with a watered down carpenter's glue. It's called "glue sizing". Without the glue, the hole might loosen up again, I've never heard of it for front rail holes.

How are you turning them now? Describe the process and tools used.

www.howtotunepianos.com
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Gadzar] #2343960
11/01/14 05:42 AM
11/01/14 05:42 AM
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Paul678  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
P

Originally Posted by Gadzar
If you really want to "turn the front pins judiciously" as you say maybe you should buy one of this:

[Linked Image]

But you can use a pair of pliers or whatever you have used for the pins you have already turned.

Damn, Rafael! If you don't want someone to do
something, don't tell them how to do it! grin

I already have that tool, and it works perfectly!
Fits the pins perfectly to turn them. MUCHOS GRACIAS!

Ok, turned an entire test octave, and it wobbles less. Maybe
I will turn all or most of them. REMEMBER: THIS IS MY
OWN EXPERIMENTAL/BEATER/$75 PIANO, SO IT WAS MEANT TO
BE EXPERIMENTED AND LEARNED ON, EVEN IF I MIGHT DAMAGE
IT IN THE PROCESS (WHICH I HAVEN'T YET)!!!

And you are wrong, Rafael: I only have been charging
for tuning, and very minor repairs/regulation. I have not
charged for turning rail pins, and even if I did, it wouldn't be
much, as it seems a quick procedure, even times 88.

And don't worry. I will try the "correct" procedure
of replacing the bushings. I have to learn it sometime...

THANKS EVERYONE!

PW RULES!!!

thumb grin ha

Last edited by Paul678; 11/01/14 06:17 AM.
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2344006
11/01/14 08:49 AM
11/01/14 08:49 AM
Manywheres
A
A454.7 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A454.7  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Manywheres
Gadzar, I believe I understand your point.

However, FYI, I have damaged hundreds of pianos in my learning process. I have "formal" education in piano technology from a university, where, even there, I was instructed to do the wrong things like bending pins to space and level the keys--among many other problematic issues. Piano technology books are seriously out-dated, as too are the professional organizations that are filled with the same generation of peoples that wrote the books. What is the OP to do?

[Edit: there are some good modern piano technology books written by competent authors--it is just that good information is sometimes very hard to come by in the field of piano technology]

Paul678's piano business is none of mine. He seems to want to improve is knowledge and understanding in piano technology. Maybe it will remain a hobby, maybe not. Who knows? IMHO, the greater good is for piano technicians to share their experiences, in oder to help the OP on the journey...and hopefully destroy fewer pianos in the process, (ie being armed with more updated information). I should hope that the whole piano world would be thankful for that.

Last edited by A454.7; 11/01/14 10:21 AM.

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2344018
11/01/14 09:35 AM
11/01/14 09:35 AM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
Originally Posted by A454.7
Paul678's piano business is none of mine. He seems to want to improve is knowledge and understanding in piano technology.

Paul's piano business is not of mine neither. He's asking how to do the repairs and I am telling him how I do. But he gets upset if I tell him he's doing it in a wrong way or if he uses the bad tool (or not tools at all).

I am an engineer. Marc Cerisano is an engineer and Paul is also (correct me if I'm wrong) an engineer.

But there are things that are common sense, one does not need to be an engineer to recognise a bad practice.

For example, using a screwdriver, instead of a piece of wood, to tap on the tip of the pins. Or bending a pin, wich is well lined, when bushings are at fault.

To improve his knowledge he must be informed when and why he's doing it wrong.

And instead of getting upset he should be grateful.

Personally I think there are too many tooners and improvised technicians out there, slaughtering and butchering pianos. We do not need one more. And that's why I try to show him the right ways to care a piano.

Does he depress the sustain pedal before inserting the mute strips and wedges? I don't think so. But I would be glad to be wrong.

He charges people for doing jobs without having the required knowledge.

I am contributing with my knowledge. Not for him, he does not appreciate my help, but for all the people who read these posts. They can learn the difference between good and bad repairing practices.

Last edited by Gadzar; 11/01/14 09:55 AM.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Gadzar] #2344034
11/01/14 10:03 AM
11/01/14 10:03 AM
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Paul678  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
P

Paul's piano business is not of mine neither. He's asking how to do the repairs and I am telling him how I do. But he gets upset if I tell him he's doing it in a wrong way or if he uses the bad tool (or not tools at all).

I am an igeneer. Marc Cerisano is an ingeneer and Paul is also (correct me if I'm wrong) an engineer.

But there are things that are common sense, one does not need to be an ingeneer to recognise a bad practice.

For example, using a screwdriver, instead of a piece of wood, to tap on the tip of the pins. Or bending a pin, wich is well lined, wwhen bushings are at fault.

To improve his knowledge he must be informed when and why he's doing it wrong.

And instead of getting upset he should be grateful.

Does he depress the sustain pedal before inserting the mute strips and wedges? I don't think so. But I would be glad to be wrong.

He charges people for doing jobs without having the required knowledge.

I am contributing with my knowledge. Not for him, He does not appreciate my help, but for all the people who read these posts. They can learn the difference between good and bad repairing practices.

I'm not upset, and I'm very grateful for your input, Rafael.

I got my degree in Mechanical Engineering, like Mark C., but
you don't need to have a degree to see turning pins isn't the
end of the world. Certainly it's not as proper of a fix as
replacing the bushing felts, but it works in a pinch, and when
someone might not have the time or money to have it done.

Podemos estar de acuerdo en no estar de acuerdo, mi amigo?

And at any rate, I DO plan on replacing the bushing felts on
this same piano, in the future. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing
it for the first time on someone else's piano.

With Tunelab and the two sets of tools I got from Howard Piano,
I have the tools and the knowledge to tune and regulate pianos: and I have even gotten referrals and repeat business!

But I have so much more to learn, and you just taught me
something new, so I thank you.

No somos enemigos, mi amigo!

smile

Last edited by Paul678; 11/01/14 10:11 AM.
Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2344073
11/01/14 11:41 AM
11/01/14 11:41 AM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
With Tunelab and the two sets of tools I got from Howard Piano,
I have the tools and the knowledge to tune and regulate pianos: and I have even gotten referrals and repeat business!

Do you? Really?

Then why are you asking for help here?

No. You donīt have the knowledge and you don't have the experience. And if you repeat business is because your clients know less than you about pianos.

You donīt have the equipment, tools and supplys to repair a piano. (Hot pot, key easing pliers, sizing cauls, etc...)

Repairs have to be done before regulation. You can not regulate a piano that is not working properly.

It's like tuning/voicing. You first tune the piano and then you voice the piano. You can not voice an out of tune piano.

Worst of all is your attitude: you think you know. You really believe you do know. And you do not accept when you're told you don't. And it's obvious you don't. You have never done it before.

"I know it's wrong but I'll do it anyway..."

The first thing is to recognize you donīt know. Then ask for help or read or better get a mentor or see a video, before doing it and then the most important: accept and follow the advices you get.

There is a lot of bad info on the internet, you have to filter out what is right and not adopt a bad repair because itīs easier or faster or cheaper or because there are many people doing the same. Good techs are a minority.

Lay aside your ego and open your mind to learn.

Last edited by Gadzar; 11/01/14 11:52 AM.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Gadzar] #2344078
11/01/14 11:50 AM
11/01/14 11:50 AM
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Paul678  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
P

Do you? Really?

Then why are you asking for help here?

No. You donīt have the knowledge and you don't have the experience. And if you repeat business is because your clients know less than you about pianos.

You donīt have the equipment, tools and supplys to repair a piano. (Hot pot, key easing pliers, sizing cauls, etc...)

Repairs have to be done before regulation. You can not regulate a piano that is not working properly.

It's like tuning/voicing. You first tune the piano and then you voice the piano. You can not voice an out of tune piano.

Worst of all is your attitude: you think you know. You really believe you do know. And you do not accept when you're told you don't. And it's obvious you don't. You have never done it before.

So the first thing is to recognize you donīt know. Then ask for help or read or see a video or better get a mentor, before doing it and then, the most important, accept and follow the advices you get.

There is a lot of bad info on the internet, you have to filter out what is right and not adopt a bad repair because itīs easier or faster or cheaper or because there are many people doing the same. Good techs are a minority.

Lay aside your ego and open your mind to learn.

I ask for help, because I'm still relatively new to the game.

You are wrong: I have key easing pliers....damn handy tool to
have!

You anger is your weakness, and I will be forced to put you
on my "ignore" list very soon, if you insist on everyone
conforming to YOUR method of doing things. There are many
RPTs who disagree with you, just look at the postings!

At any rate, do what you want, and know that I still thank
you for the info....

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2344085
11/01/14 12:06 PM
11/01/14 12:06 PM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
You're wellcome.

And I thank you for the opportunity you give me to show PW readers the difference between good and bad practices in repairing pianos.

PS: not knowing is not bad, the bad is not learning

Last edited by Gadzar; 11/01/14 12:15 PM.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2344112
11/01/14 01:15 PM
11/01/14 01:15 PM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
Many people disagree with me. It can not be otherwise. I often disagree with Emmery

Originally Posted by Emmery
My point was that quite often a tech will state a valid/logical arguement here and it will have merit. Most if not all techs could agree with them and still...non techs with zero experience, no credentials, anonomous screen names will come in and argue, ridicule, or insult them.

But this time, on this subject I agree 100% with all he says.

Paul678, whoever you are, I recommend you to read this thread.

Here is the link:

So long... Emmery

And you'll see how professional techs, with a solid knowledge and background, are leaving this forum because of people like you.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Gadzar] #2344122
11/01/14 01:51 PM
11/01/14 01:51 PM
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Paul678  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
P

Many people disagree with me. It can not be otherwise. I often disagree with Emmery

But this time, on this subject I agree 100% with all he says.

Paul678, whoever you are, I recommend you to read this thread.

Here is the link:

So long... Emmery

And you'll see how professional techs, with a solid knowledge and background, are leaving this forum because of people like you.

Lol!! Emmery is one of the techs who disagreed with you
about turning the front pins! Read again:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1539054/Front%20Rail%20Pins.html

Maybe he's leaving because of YOU!

laugh ha

Re: Can 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Re-expand Bushing Felts? [Re: Paul678] #2344129
11/01/14 02:06 PM
11/01/14 02:06 PM
Mexico City
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gadzar  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mexico City
I don't think so. He says:

"non techs with zero experience, no credentials, anonomous screen names will come in and argue, ridicule, or insult them"

And I am a tech, I have 9 years of experience in tuning, repairing, regulating, moving buying and selling pianos. I've put my credentials in my signature.

But maybe you... fill out the profile, don't you?

Last edited by Gadzar; 11/01/14 02:20 PM.

Rafael Melo
Piano Technician

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,343
Posts2,761,397
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission