Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
126 registered members (barbaram, akc42, anotherscott, 90125, Beowulf, BBMason, amad23, 24 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? #106396
07/13/06 10:57 AM
07/13/06 10:57 AM
Paris
serge1paris Offline OP
serge1paris  Offline OP

Paris
Yesterday, I saw a brand new "Ed Seiler " 180 grand at a Parisian dealer.

Not a bad piano. Any information and comments ? What relation to Seiler pianos ???

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? #106397
07/13/06 06:41 PM
07/13/06 06:41 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Pianos which carry or display the manufacturer's owner/founder - previous or present - are often no more than a marketing thing.

Best to ask the dealer of such brand what the story happens to be -
few outsider could help you here.

Perhaps it is a piano they take special pride in with some special finishing touches - or it could be a new type commemorative edition - again you need to ask your dealer....

Strange, he didn't point something out when you looked at the piano.....

Norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? #106398
07/14/06 11:00 AM
07/14/06 11:00 AM
Paris
serge1paris Offline OP
serge1paris  Offline OP

Paris
Thanks Norbert

I didn't ask as I don't always trust dealers in this kind of situation. Moreover the piano was heavily discounted...

Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? #106399
07/14/06 03:33 PM
07/14/06 03:33 PM
Atlanta, GA
piano cellar Offline
piano cellar  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Ed Seiler on the fallboard I believe is an older piano.Perhaps they had one in stock and sold it to the dealer at a discounted price. You might check the serial number to find the true age.

Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? #106400
07/15/06 01:24 PM
07/15/06 01:24 PM
San Jose
T
topdog Offline
topdog  Offline
T

San Jose
All you have to do is go to Seiler.com and ask directly from the manufacturer.

Seiler will tell you exactly what you are looking at, and if you are in Paris, you can travel right to the factory in Kitzengen Germany and check things out for yourself, about a Two hour trip by train.

Seiler is one of the best if not the best, it is an awesom piano.

PIANO BROKER
Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? #106401
07/17/06 12:56 AM
07/17/06 12:56 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
pianistical Offline
1000 Post Club Member
pianistical  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Stockholm, Sweden
I have seen quite a few Ed Seilers on the used market in Sweden. As there are lots of German and Swedish pianos in Sweden I would suspect that "Ed Seiler" is the same as the German "Seiler". It is less likely that it is a Swedish brand. Swedish manufacturers made excellent uprights, that are among the best, but only decent grands.

“There are only two important things which I took with me on my way to America, It´s been my wife Natalja and my precious Blüthner.” – Sergei Rachmaninov

1913 Blüthner model 6
1929 Blüthner model 9.
Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? [Re: serge1paris] #2338674
10/18/14 06:44 AM
10/18/14 06:44 AM
Florida, Connecticut
gynnis Offline
gynnis  Offline

Florida, Connecticut
I have a Seiler 206 from the 1980's which touts the fact that it is made in Germany and has a Renner action. Many of the more modern brand names in the Seiler family (since the Samick takeover) are made in Indonesia. I don't know the quality differences. If it is heavily discounted, it is probably an Asian piano.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? [Re: topdog] #2338698
10/18/14 07:41 AM
10/18/14 07:41 AM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
Seiler is one of the best if not the best, it is an awesom piano. [/quote]

They are good pianos. Of that there is no doubt. "The best"- I would take some convincing.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? [Re: gynnis] #2338720
10/18/14 08:42 AM
10/18/14 08:42 AM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by gynnis
I have a Seiler 206 from the 1980's which touts the fact that it is made in Germany and has a Renner action. Many of the more modern brand names in the Seiler family (since the Samick takeover) are made in Indonesia. I don't know the quality differences. If it is heavily discounted, it is probably an Asian piano.
Hello gynnis. You're replying to an 8 year old thread that pre-dates Seiler - Samick partnership. The advice given at that time was sound. Today, Ed Seiler does mean something different, but historically, many Seiler pianos had Ed.Seiler on the front.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2343220
10/30/14 05:18 AM
10/30/14 05:18 AM
eazydyonizy Offline
eazydyonizy  Offline

[/quote] Hello gynnis. You're replying to an 8 year old thread that pre-dates Seiler - Samick partnership. The advice given at that time was sound. Today, Ed Seiler does mean something different, but historically, many Seiler pianos had Ed.Seiler on the front. [/quote]

Is the Ed Seiler series still produced?
If nowadays this name means something different, what does it mean?

I found out from http://www.seiler-pianos.de/ that there are three varieties of Seilers uprights and grands: Seiler, Edvard Seiler, and Johanes Seiler.

They says that Johanes Seiler has "a reasonable price" because of "Chosen materials and an elaborate process of producing".
May it simply means lower prices, and cheaper prouction costs in Indonesia?

Eduard Selier is described as "From all over the world for all over the world" and it is pretty clear that Samick factory make them, I guess.

Verticals and grands with Seiler logo are also available on Samick official website. May it means that they are produced in Indonesia?
Seiler's official website declares that instruments with Seiler logo are totaly German made.

Could anyone clarify it to me?
Thank you in advance.

Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? [Re: serge1paris] #2343577
10/31/14 01:37 AM
10/31/14 01:37 AM
France
J
Jean Claude Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jean Claude  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

France

Those with long memories will remember when the internet was being touted as the 'information super-highway' where anything you wanted to know was available at your fingertips. Well I have just had a look at the Seiler website and amid all the blather about their 160 years of fine craftsmanship, use of the finest materials etc, etc, you will find (at least so far as I could see) no mention of the fact that a large proportion of their manufacturing is outsourced to Asia and no mention of the name Samick. So much for the information super-highway.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that nobody seems to have thought of re-naming a town in Korea (or Indonesia or wherever) Kitzingen. This would enable the marketing men to write 'All Seiler pianos are lovingly crafted in Kitzingen. Kitzingen is a small town in Germany with a tradition of fine piano making stretching back over 160 years.....'

Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? [Re: Jean Claude] #2343615
10/31/14 06:09 AM
10/31/14 06:09 AM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Jean Claude

Those with long memories will remember when the internet was being touted as the 'information super-highway' where anything you wanted to know was available at your fingertips. Well I have just had a look at the Seiler website and amid all the blather about their 160 years of fine craftsmanship, use of the finest materials etc, etc, you will find (at least so far as I could see) no mention of the fact that a large proportion of their manufacturing is outsourced to Asia and no mention of the name Samick. So much for the information super-highway.

You have to admit, the internet is still an information superhighway. There's a ton of information on there - just some parts of the highway need some work. There's no doubt that the internet has delivered on its ambition to connect the world - and then some. The fact that it's flawed is to be expected - it always will be because it's largely self-moderated and is the sum total of billions of different interests and ambitions. It is what it is.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that nobody seems to have thought of re-naming a town in Korea (or Indonesia or wherever) Kitzingen. This would enable the marketing men to write 'All Seiler pianos are lovingly crafted in Kitzingen. Kitzingen is a small town in Germany with a tradition of fine piano making stretching back over 160 years.....'

Well, they wouldn't want to be dishonest. They'd have to say "Kitzingen sometimes refers to a small town in Germany with a tradition of fine piano making stretching back over 160 years....." At other times it is a town in South Korea, home of Samick Music Corporation. We leave it to the customer to decide which one is making these particular Samick pianos..." wink

Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? [Re: serge1paris] #2343640
10/31/14 08:15 AM
10/31/14 08:15 AM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Online content
Steve Cohen  Online Content

Maryland/DC/No. VA
For questions like this (even aged ones) I go to the piano information source - Piano Buyer

wink

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Differences between "Ed Seiler" pianos and "Seiler "pianos ??? [Re: Steve Cohen] #2343736
10/31/14 02:23 PM
10/31/14 02:23 PM
France
J
Jean Claude Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jean Claude  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

France
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
For questions like this (even aged ones) I go to the piano information source - Piano Buyer

wink

Well yes....me too, but it is not hard to imagine that there may be buyers who don't know about pianobuyer or PW, perhaps they are nave, perhaps they don't speak English, perhaps they have been told by some salesman that they are looking at a fine German piano and have gone to the maker's website to reassure themselves, in any case they are not going to get much verit at seiler.com.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Twinkle or Moonlight?
by MrsD. 01/22/19 04:16 AM
My LTCL Repetiore
by Jaguarinoff. 01/22/19 03:31 AM
Hailun & Room Size
by Katie-eights. 01/21/19 09:52 PM
Testers for new Piano app
by PianoLIT. 01/21/19 09:01 PM
Testers for new Piano app
by PianoLIT. 01/21/19 08:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,724
Posts2,784,622
Members92,193
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission