Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
107 registered members (amyram, apianostudent, 36251, AndrewJCW, accordeur, Apoll0, ando, 27 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: Emiliano] #2340909
10/24/14 10:08 AM
10/24/14 10:08 AM
London, UK
E
Emiliano Offline OP
Emiliano  Offline OP
E

London, UK
bats, porpoises....wow sounds like David Attenborough :-) Just kidding !
Thanx Lolatu, Thanx Toddy....what you are saying makes sense to me, I guess I'll stick to the 48000 value.
I did try to hear the difference between 44, 48 etc. and...well...they all sound the same to me :-(
I sound dumb, and I probably am...

Last edited by Emiliano; 10/24/14 11:12 AM.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: Emiliano] #2340931
10/24/14 10:51 AM
10/24/14 10:51 AM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
I feel the same, don't think it is dumbness, just the limit of ones hearing.

When it comes to recording though I do notice a subtle difference between a high bitrate sample wav file output in my DAW and then a conversion to high quality 320 kB/s mp3, though it very very subtle effect at this stage, it may be even due to the encoder resampling rather than the actual bitrate loss why I am hearing that for all I know, but then going down to half that, say 128 kBs/sec and I begin to tell more and more. Still, the file goes from about 25 Mb to 3.5 Mb 320 Kb/s MP3, and the loss is far less in proportion.

Lets not forget that CD quality is only 16 bit 44 kHz, but CDs do have very high bitrate. To satisfy that in theory would require

44100 HZ * 16 bits / sample * 2 ( for each channel in stereo ) = 1411200 = 1411 kb/s

for uncompressed data.

Many audiophiles spend thousands on headphones, headphones amplifiers, CD players and what not to get the best they can get, not that I own such high end things, but they still listen to CDs most of the time smile

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 10/24/14 10:51 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: Alexander Borro] #2341016
10/24/14 01:39 PM
10/24/14 01:39 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
I feel the same, don't think it is dumbness, just the limit of ones hearing.

When it comes to recording though I do notice a subtle difference between a high bitrate sample wav file output in my DAW and then a conversion to high quality 320 kB/s mp3, though it very very subtle effect at this stage, it may be even due to the encoder resampling rather than the actual bitrate loss why I am hearing that for all I know, but then going down to half that, say 128 kBs/sec and I begin to tell more and more. Still, the file goes from about 25 Mb to 3.5 Mb 320 Kb/s MP3, and the loss is far less in proportion.

Yes, even I (with my tinnitus and ex-band member hearing loss) can tell that MP3 at 128kb/s produces some seriously destructive artifacts. But MP3 is an active compression format which involves all kind of monkeying about with the signal. Also there are different conversion methods (floating bit rate VBR; ABR; CBR) which can affect the signal in different ways.

Lets not forget that CD quality is only 16 bit 44 kHz, but CDs do have very high bitrate. To satisfy that in theory would require

44100 HZ * 16 bits / sample * 2 ( for each channel in stereo ) = 1411200 = 1411 kb/s for uncompressed data.

Many audiophiles spend thousands on headphones, headphones amplifiers, CD players and what not to get the best they can get, not that I own such high end things, but they still listen to CDs most of the time smile

But aren't these audiophile blokes mostly (but not always) deluded? There used to be record turntables costing 10000 (without tonearm or cartridge) back in about 1980 - that's about a half the cost of a decent house back then!These machines had special elastic bands on the counterweight and a super heavy stone base.

...not sure if those gentlemen would listen to CDs even now...for many years they wouldn't go near them with a barge pole.

Last edited by toddy; 10/24/14 01:43 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: toddy] #2341025
10/24/14 01:50 PM
10/24/14 01:50 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
Originally Posted by toddy

But aren't these audiophile blokes mostly (but not always) deluded?

Yep I would say often they are along the lines you mention. Hope that will not cause a flame war, but this is not a Hi-Fi forum so I can probably escape unhurt laugh

Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: Alexander Borro] #2341033
10/24/14 02:00 PM
10/24/14 02:00 PM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

uk south

Yep I would say often they are along the lines you mention. Hope that will not cause a flame war, but this is not a Hi-Fi forum so I can probably escape unhurt laugh

Does vinyl sound better?

Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: dire tonic] #2341040
10/24/14 02:19 PM
10/24/14 02:19 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
Originally Posted by dire tonic

Does vinyl sound better?

I haven't listened to a vinyl since my Uni days, say around early nineties. I remember a lot of crackles and pops on my vinyls though laugh

I rarely even listed to CD these days for that matter. Seems most of my music I listed to is in some form of format stored on a computer. CD quality still sounds fine to me though when I do listen to CDs.

A lot of what I listen to can vary in recording quality, a great recording or music 128 kB/sec 44 KHz still sounds better to me compared to a recording/music I don't like at whatever infinite bitrate and sampling rate laugh

Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: Emiliano] #2341057
10/24/14 02:50 PM
10/24/14 02:50 PM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

uk south
- I was just being mischievous...I say "back to mono!!"...you're probably too young to know that audiophiles of the time complained bitterly about the introduction of stereo. Total madness.

I've still got a pile of CDs but I think they'll end up on a string on some farm scaring the birds off newly sown seed.

Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: dire tonic] #2341094
10/24/14 04:20 PM
10/24/14 04:20 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
Originally Posted by dire tonic
- I was just being mischievous...I say "back to mono!!"...you're probably too young to know that audiophiles of the time complained bitterly about the introduction of stereo. Total madness.

I've still got a pile of CDs but I think they'll end up on a string on some farm scaring the birds off newly sown seed.

Got the mischief smile CDs make great accessories, great to avoid those table rings so I put tea cups on them, they seem to be all over the place my house except being listening to. Yep, jut about too young to recall the mono to stereo transition in earnest, though I do recall having those old valve amps and mono valve radios in my parents house and the day of medium/long wave radio shows. They did sound lovely and warm though, I would give it that laugh

Re: Kawai VPC1, Kontakt 5 and Galaxy Vintage D [Re: Emiliano] #2341124
10/24/14 06:04 PM
10/24/14 06:04 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Sigh! I don't know really. I'm very attached to my dear collection of LPs - and I used to love the old 78s my mum and dad and grandma had accumulated. They were such beauties - the labels especially - the black and white His Master's Voice dog inside the bright red label was wonderful.

But you can see from the way I'm talking about it that it's all sentiment for what were actually powerful fetiches. The representation became bigger than the contents, almost.

Then there was the sound: no electronic bits and pieces and processes to degrade the quality - just physical audio channels - diaphrams, tubes, horns. And what did it sound like? Dreadful, of course. A scratchy ghostly band-limited version of the real thing.

LPs with diamond stylus, magnetic transducer and hi-fi amp & speakers were a vast improvement, of course, and apart from the scratches, sounded far better than the iphone horror that kids seem happy to put up with these days.

Nowadays there is no representation - no material at all, and all we've got is the music, which as the audiophiles point out is in compromised quality if it's MP3.

It's funny - really excellent audio quality is easily set up now, and cheaper than it ever was. But most people simply can't be arsed. Maybe we need the rabid audiophiles to balance things out.

(quietly relieved this is not a Hi Fi forum. Do such things still exist? .....looks a little concerned....

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Missing Marty...5 years on
by Retsacnal. 10/22/19 09:42 PM
"Standard" Regulation Job
by Seeker. 10/22/19 08:58 PM
Best Online Jazz Piano Courses?
by PlayitSam. 10/22/19 08:54 PM
in honor of Monica K
by Medved1. 10/22/19 08:45 PM
Sauter vs Bechstein vs Schimmel uprights
by GSeb. 10/22/19 08:04 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,681
Posts2,882,299
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission