2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Hello, just looking for some insight into current market conditions and career prospects for someone wanting to enter the trade. Is there enough demand to support more technicians? Especially in the Minnesota Twin Cities market?
Thank you for any information.

Morrisos

S
S
Demand is declining everywhere unless where there is a huge Asian population. IMO the only way you can get in is to hook up with a piano dealer (or dealers). Going at it yourself will be very difficult.

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
There is definitely opportunity for piano technicians to make a living in this economy, but under certain conditions.

1. You have to be able to give exceptional service, which includes many skills besides the technical, like politeness, punctuality, etc.
2. You have to have a niche. E.g. rebuilding, recording studios, university work, professionals, etc.
3. You have to have some alternate income. E.g. Teaching, gigging, etc.
4. You have to live in a large urban area, or be willing to travel a lot.
5. It is difficult to support a large family on just piano tuning.
6. You have to be good with budgets, finances, accounting, marketing, internet, social media, etc.

It can be done, if done right. Gone are the days when a mediocre piano technician could make an easy living working three drays a week.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Gone are the days when a mediocre piano technician could make an easy living working three drays a week.

Wow, there used to be days like that? What decade(s) was
that?

How many pianos did they have to tune a day? And how much
for each piano?

Too bad it ain't like that now!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think it's like in all other occupations. There are successful, mediocre and unsuccessful piano technicians. Success depends on how good you are. If you have passion for what you do, chances are you will be successful, if you work for the money you'll be mediocre or unsuccessful. People won't hire you to take their money!

F
F
I talk to many different technicians every day. Some are very successful, others are not. You will have to put in the time to first learn the craft to get the knowledge. This will take some time depending on how much effort you can put in to this endeavor. Being in a major metro area is a plus. Very few people step in to a new profession and start to make a comfortable living right off the bat. There seems to be a lot of older technicians out there so IMHO there is room for younger ones to make a good living for themselves given that they work very hard at it. No one is going to give you anything if you don't put in max effort.

Warehouse Manager
Schaff Piano Supply Co
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Frank Pinn
I talk to many different technicians every day. Some are very successful, others are not. You will have to put in the time to first learn the craft to get the knowledge. This will take some time depending on how much effort you can put in to this endeavor. Being in a major metro area is a plus. Very few people step in to a new profession and start to make a comfortable living right off the bat. There seems to be a lot of older technicians out there so IMHO there is room for younger ones to make a good living for themselves given that they work very hard at it. No one is going to give you anything if you don't put in max effort.

Excellent advice Frank. But may I make one very important clarification. When you say, "This will take some time depending on how much effort you can put in to this endeavour" I worry that some may think time is the only ingredient.

In this new internet age, as Hakki has already inferred, there are tons of free resources for anyone to use to learn this craft. But that is the danger. Just taking the time to learn tuning is not enough. You need to spend that time wisely, not just watching youtube videos. And the wiser you are with your time, the better skilled you will become, and faster.

Good uses of your time:
Buying an old piano and rebuilding it. I mean everything you can think of; new hammers, dampers, strings, tuning pins, repair soundboard, refinish case and soundboard, regulation, keyboard felts and paper, key tops, new key bushings, etc. I did that and made a whopping $2.50/hr.
Volunteer at a rebuilding shop.
Join an association.
Attend classes and conventions.
Read.
Pay for instruction and resources.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Originally Posted by Frank Pinn

Excellent advice Frank. But may I make one very important clarification. When you say, "This will take some time depending on how much effort you can put in to this endeavour" I worry that some may think time is the only ingredient.

In this new internet age, as Hakki has already inferred, there are tons of free resources for anyone to use to learn this craft. But that is the danger. Just taking the time to learn tuning is not enough. You need to spend that time wisely, not just watching youtube videos. And the wiser you are with your time, the better skilled you will become, and faster.

Good uses of your time:
Buying an old piano and rebuilding it. I mean everything you can think of; new hammers, dampers, strings, tuning pins, repair soundboard, refinish case and soundboard, regulation, keyboard felts and paper, key tops, new key bushings, etc. I did that and made a whopping $2.50/hr.
Volunteer at a rebuilding shop.
Join an association.
Attend classes and conventions.
Read.
Pay for instruction and resources.

Well said.

Poetry is rhythm
D
D
The industry has been shrinking for 30-40 years, with no end in sight. Clearly, fewer people will do well servicing pianos.

My son could take over my business if he was inclined to, but I am discouraging him from going into the trade. I fear the future may not be good.

I think tuners will need a store or a college to anchor their business, or at least to get started. The way piano stores are dropping, that may go away when you most need it.

All this said, this business has been good to me and I really enjoy what I do.

Casdorph Piano Service
Morgantown, WV
www.casdorphpiano.com
All pianos are bald ones.
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Technicians in general have to be better business people these days. There was a time when technicians I talked to were complaining that they didn't return calls anymore because they were too busy.

Today, we need to use creative methods like asking customers if they know of anyone who needs a piano tuned, calling customers to remind them it's time to tune, pre booking six months in advance, etc. These things all make a difference.

There's a global economic downturn whose reasons are best explained in John Ralston Saul's "Voltaire's Bastards". AS such, the piano industry will suffer as other industries are suffering.
Having said that, there are groups of people that never seem to amaze us, and stubbornly keep industries rolling :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Osk2ul21qE

We meet upon the level, and..you don't fear someone whose story you know!
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
The piano downturn has been going on since 1980, but there's still work for the well rounded technician.

Look at the sales chart at:
http://howtotunepianos.com/2014/05/04/why-you-may-want-to-learn-how-to-tune-your-piano/

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the replies.

Does age matter so much in entering the trade? Is 50 years old too old to bother since I know it takes so long to get good?

Seems like a lot of old timers stick with it well into old age.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If your health and hearing are good, 50 is not too old. Most people can get up to speed in a couple of years.

A good mechanical aptitude is a must, and the ability to interact well with clients is paramount.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
One negative thing as far as future which has not been mentioned is that many well established piano technicians don't simply quit at age 65 and pack it in. Instead they "wind it down" slowely and maintain a steady income based on their ability to physically keep up. it is not unusual to see some tuners over 70, heck we even have one "tooner" over 80.....I figure if I asked him how work is he would likely answer "Depends". (Some Europeans will likely not get that).

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
H
H
Originally Posted by Emmery
One negative thing as far as future which has not been mentioned is that many well established piano technicians don't simply quit at age 65 and pack it in. Instead they "wind it down" slowely and maintain a steady income based on their ability to physically keep up. it is not unusual to see some tuners over 70, heck we even have one "tooner" over 80.....I figure if I asked him how work is he would likely answer "Depends". (Some Europeans will likely not get that).

Shoot, I think I'll be ready to start at 65; you know, second career. LOL

HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
For what it's worth, I would strongly discourage anyone from getting into piano tuning purely as a career path. It must be a passion first; a serious hobby. Grow your love of piano technology, acquire skills, share your talent, and then as time passes, your demand will increase. This will confirm if you have the required mix to make it work. If things don't improve, you still have a hobby that can pay you a few buck now and then.

With that in mind, any age is a good time to start learning a new hobby.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As a piano technician, I can no other than encourage people to become a piano technician. If I thought otherwise I should follow my own advice and take another job, shouldn't I?

It is a wonderful job. It's your own business. You can start with a very little investment, only a few tools and from there you can grow as you wish.

You are your own boss. You decide on your time. You decide what jobs you accept and refuse. You have plenty of ways and places to learn. Usually big companies as WNG, Pianodisc, Dampp-Chaser, Yamaha and many others are willing to train you for free to know, install and use their products and services which makes you a better technician. You decide on your work hours. You choose your clients, your colleagues, your vendors and your employes.

You know lots of interesting people. You have the oportunity of playing wonderful pianos. You need to buy no piano! I always have a nice piano in my home without paying for it.

You can help others to get the instrument of their dreams!

It's always rewarding when you finish a tuning and your customer says his piano has never sounded so good!

This is a wonderful job.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Emmery

On top of that, some of these older technicians are just looking for a few more bucks to supplement their social security so they charge very low. This makes it harder for a younger technician to compete when someone is charging $60 a tuning.

H
H
Originally Posted by Gadzar
As a piano technician, I can no other than encourage people to become a piano technician. If I thought otherwise I should follow my own advice and take another job, shouldn't I?

It is a wonderful job. It's your own business. You can start with a very little investment, only a few tools and from there you can grow as you wish.

You are your own boss. You decide on your time. You decide what jobs you accept and refuse. You have plenty of ways and places to learn. Usually big companies as WNG, Pianodisc, Dampp-Chaser, Yamaha and many others are willing to train you for free to know, install and use their products and services which makes you a better technician. You decide on your work hours. You choose your clients, your colleagues, your vendors and your employes.

You know lots of interesting people. You have the oportunity of playing wonderful pianos. You need to buy no piano! I always have a nice piano in my home without paying for it.

You can help others to get the instrument of their dreams!

It's always rewarding when you finish a tuning and your customer says his piano has never sounded so good!

This is a wonderful job.

@Gadzar:

Thank you so very much for your inspiring and honest declaration.

HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission