2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
34 members (DrPianoLDN, clothearednincompo, David Lai, ColoRodney, Calavera, FloRi89, EVC2017, CyberGene, 1957, 7 invisible), 422 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
DP purchase advice (CLP 575)
#2333912 10/04/14 08:30 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Hi,

I'm going to get a Digital Piano to use in my apartment. I have a beautiful upright at my family home which I still have access to whenever I want, but I want something closer to hand.

I ask here, because I reckon my skill level is not (yet) at a point where I might be able to personally pick up on the nuanced differences between these models.

I'm looking at the Yamaha CLP 575. My question really is, is it worth stretching myself up to the CLP 585, with the weighted keys? It's quite a significant jump in price, and right now I really don't appreciate the difference in the touch between the two. Basically, I'm not good enough for it to have a noticeable effect on my playing.

I'm planning (hoping) to work my way up to Grade 8 (about G3 at the moment), and the bulk of my practice will be on whichever DP I buy. With this ambition in mind, is it likely that I will, in a year or two, feel a want for the higher spec keyboard in the 585?

Finally, are there any other brands that I should take a look at around this level?

Thanks for any and all advice!

H

Re: DP purchase advice (CLP 575)
Hammer2014 #2333926 10/04/14 10:23 AM
T
T
I briefly played both the 575 and 585 durign this year's Frankfurt Musikmesse and my impression was there was a huge difference between those two pianos regarding the keyboard touch, th 585 being considerably better and more playable.

Yesterday I tried the hybrid Yamaha NU-1 and would not buy it in a milion years. It's in the same price range as thre 585 but it homes another key action, which Yamaha claims is the same as the one in their acoustic uprights, which I could not play expressively.

So, the CLPs are a good choce as long as you stay clear from the bottom 2 models. Both the 545 and 575 are decent, the 585 is good. The 535, though very playable, lacks enough sound output - both quality and quantity wise.

Hammer2014 #2333961 10/04/14 12:13 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't played either of them. But I can guarantee you don't need the 585's action to pass your grade 8. Most of the additional features like this you see are frankly a bit of a gimmick (ivory feel, triple sensor etc). And in a way you're better off practicing on a keyboard that's harder to play (not that the 575 necessarily is). Most people practice on far worse upright actions that feel nothing like a grand piano. Save your money.

Finally, are there any other brands that I should take a look at around this level?

Roland HP506 / HP508, Kawai CA65

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Hammer2014 #2334268 10/05/14 10:02 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for your comments. I'll have to find time to play them bit more before deciding!

Hammer2014 #2334297 10/05/14 11:42 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I owned a CLP-380 several years ago, and the most impressive feature I noticed was the speaker system. The pedals vibrate due to their proximity to the Subwoofer. It uses many strategically placed speakers that reproduce a robust, well-defined sound. The rear speakers (2) also add to the sense of a naturally reverberating sound.

Can you get the work done on the 575? Yes; however, if the speaker system on the 585 is better, that might add a little to the "fun" factor regarding practice.

I never played the CLP-370, and I'm not certain if the 585's speaker system is superior to that of the 575, but once again, a superior speaker system will provide a more gratifying/satisfying aural experience.

Hammer2014 #2334474 10/05/14 11:59 PM
F
F
I think CLP 585 is more better. And I am thinking about buying Roland HP 508 or Yamaha CLP 585. Any advices on them also?

Hammer2014 #2334524 10/06/14 06:33 AM
M
M
Personally I found there was a significant difference between the 575 and 585, both in terms of the touch response and the sound which results in a much more 'connected' feeling between the performer and the instrument... IMVHO...

The counterweights in the 585 action do make a big difference to the feel – the key balance, weighting and rebound feels just right, and allows for very fast repetition as well as the bringing out of subtle nuances in quiet passages. I have to say the sound from the 585 is very acoustic-like in terms of it's resonance, body and projection... the sound 'feels' right (if that makes any sense at all) from the player's perspective. To me the 575 sounded a little "boxed in", so I'd say the 3-way speaker system in the 585 definitely trumps the 2-way system in the 575. The 585 comes across as a very expressive instrument from the player's bench – if you've got the volume set to the correct level, the 585 is capable of producing both soft subtle pianissimo and full, rich resonant fortissimo in response to your touch unlike any other digital I've owned. I'm a happy bunny (finally!) smile

Whilst in previous posts I've discussed paying a premium for the cabinetry and sound system to be a waste of money (initially I ended up purchasing an MP11) I wish I'd plumped for the piece of furniture home piano in the first place, and am fortunate I was able to invest in a 585 – it's precisely the cabinetry and sound-system design (as well as the upgraded action) that gives the 585 it's expressive characteristics, and I'm inspired every time I sit down in front of that gloss black upright style cabinet...

However, you could easily work towards your grade 8 on the 575 (or indeed the 545), or a Roland, or a Kawai... I'm reminded of how much of the practice towards my grade 8 was done on acoustics in varying states of regulation, tone and tuning. Go play them some more, and do check out the Roland and Kawai models mentioned above... at the end of the day you should invest in the instrument that you enjoy playing the most!

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
mrmacmusic #2335052 10/07/14 01:19 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for that Mrmac, that's an incredibly helpful post. Lots of food for thought! I'm having major decision making disorder on this - probably down to the fact that my skill set isn't up to taking advantage of what the 585 offers (yet, hopefully).

I'm trying to predict the future a little in trying to justify the step up, but it is possible I'll never play at a level where the 585 will make sense for me. However...

If the price difference was not so great, it would be less of a decision, but where I am there is about a 50% jump between the 575 and 585. I should have taken up the tin whistle...

Hammer2014 #2335255 10/08/14 05:42 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Hammer2014
Thanks for that Mrmac, that's an incredibly helpful post. Lots of food for thought! I'm having major decision making disorder on this - probably down to the fact that my skill set isn't up to taking advantage of what the 585 offers (yet, hopefully).

I'm trying to predict the future a little in trying to justify the step up, but it is possible I'll never play at a level where the 585 will make sense for me. However...

If the price difference was not so great, it would be less of a decision, but where I am there is about a 50% jump between the 575 and 585. I should have taken up the tin whistle...

...so much simpler with tin whistles eh smile

Where are you based, as I'm surprised there's such a big price difference... here in the UK the basic finish (non-polished) 575 comes in at ~£2,100 and the 585 ~£2,900. For what it's worth I paid less than that for the polished ebony 585 (including matching stool) which was listed at ~£3,200 so maybe it's worth haggling the dealer for the best price...?

But as I said above, play them both – and don't forget the equivalent Roland/Kawai models – and see which you like playing best. No-one can predict the future, however I suspect maybe you want the 585 and are trying to convince yourself to stick with the 575? If you're the kind of person who might have buyer's remorse at settling for the 575 when you really want the 585, and you can afford it, life's too short IMVHO...

One other benefit (or not) of the 585 is the extra sounds which might (or might not) be useful if you want to hook the piano up to a sequencer. The XG sound set on the 585 for midi file playback/multi-timbral sequencing is actually very good... not on a par with the ultra-realism of the super-articulation sounds on Tyros 5, but very good.

A final food for thought note... I noted your comment about having a beautiful acoustic piano at the family home and how this purchase is for your apartment, so how much time will you spend playing out loud, and how much time through headphones? The CFX/Bösendorfer piano will sound exactly the same through headphones on both the 575 and 585.

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
mrmacmusic #2335389 10/08/14 04:50 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I suspect maybe you want the 585 and are trying to convince yourself to stick with the 575? If you're the kind of person who might have buyer's remorse at settling for the 575 when you really want the 585, and you can afford it, life's too short IMVHO

I think you've got my number on this one. I fear I'll always wonder if I might not have preferred the other one! And in that regard, you're right, life is too short!

I'll clear a few hours to sit and A-B them, and try to forget about the price tags! Thanks again for your posts!

H

Hammer2014 #2335416 10/08/14 06:43 PM
T
T
How many years do you figure it will take you to get to grade 8? I am thinking that the 575/585 will remain current for maybe 4 years before Yamaha does another serious bump (??? Guessing).

If you think you will get to grade 8 in that time frame ... maybe go for the 585.

Otherwise, maybe stick with the 575 and then in 4/5/6 years when you are at grade 8, get the latest DP at that time. Odds are, in your apartment, you will be wearing head phones half the time anyway ... I would think the 575 and 585 would even out in such circumstances at least from a sound perspective.

Now, the 585 does have TONS more other sounds than the 575. If those other instruments are your thing, then maybe the 585 is what you need.

Last edited by theoak; 10/08/14 06:44 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,853
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission