Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
61 registered members (Chrispy, 36251, Animisha, Chopin Acolyte, akc42, Bett, CyberGene, AWilley, 15 invisible), 1,227 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? #2333496
10/02/14 07:08 PM
10/02/14 07:08 PM
C
CleverName Offline OP
CleverName  Offline OP
C

I remember seeing a video, can't remember where, of an extremely angry male teacher yelling at a student in a masterclass. The teacher was animated and over-the-top that he actually fell over at one point.

I know that's a strange thing to want to find again, but I promise I have a reason. smile Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2333503
10/02/14 07:36 PM
10/02/14 07:36 PM
McAllen, TX
B
Brendan Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Brendan  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B

McAllen, TX
It was a video of Dmitry Bashkirov doing a masterclass on a Chopin Nocturne, but it seems to no longer be on YT (that I can find, at least).

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2333515
10/02/14 08:16 PM
10/02/14 08:16 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
I've seen him in one masterclass where he wasn't angry at all. So I wouldn't assume this is typical behavior for him.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2333523
10/02/14 08:46 PM
10/02/14 08:46 PM
F
Francisco Scalco Offline
Francisco Scalco  Offline
F

I've watched Ferenc Rados (aka Andras Schiff's teacher) make a 14 year old cry on stage. She was going to play Chopin's complete op. 25. I say was going to because he only let her play 3 etudes. I could actually hear her sobbing... I always say, big masterclasses are not for everyone. You have to be pretty strong emotionally to be able to cope with the exposure.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2333651
10/03/14 07:45 AM
10/03/14 07:45 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
I've watched Ferenc Rados (aka Andras Schiff's teacher) make a 14 year old cry on stage. She was going to play Chopin's complete op. 25. I say was going to because he only let her play 3 etudes. I could actually hear her sobbing... I always say, big masterclasses are not for everyone. You have to be pretty strong emotionally to be able to cope with the exposure.
My thoughts on something like that are giving masterclasses are not for everyone.

Teachers like that should not be allowed to give them no matter how much they know. I'd guess that anything the girl might have learned(if it's possible to learn anything in such an upset state)was overwhelmed by the negative feelings she experienced. Teachers like that should be booed off the stage.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: pianoloverus] #2333681
10/03/14 10:09 AM
10/03/14 10:09 AM
F
Francisco Scalco Offline
F

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My thoughts on something like that are giving masterclasses are not for everyone.

Teachers like that should not be allowed to give them no matter how much they know. I'd guess that anything the girl might have learned(if it's possible to learn anything in such an upset state)was overwhelmed by the negative feelings she experienced. Teachers like that should be booed off the stage.

I don't really agree. Of course it was harsh, but there's never only one way of teaching... Hungarian pedagogy is known for something like "deconstruction of the student" or something along those lines. They're always very stern, and that's their way. Plus Rados was 85 I think, already a bit "cranky" (is that the correct word?).
When you are playing in masterclasses for these sort of people, you're already presumed to be in a level where you know who these teachers are, what to expect, etc... I talked with with several other pianists and they all already knew Rados was stern, and so should the girl. So my point is, you're not obligated to play in masterclasses, to each his own.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2333691
10/03/14 10:43 AM
10/03/14 10:43 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City

I don't really agree. Of course it was harsh, but there's never only one way of teaching... Hungarian pedagogy is known for something like "deconstruction of the student" or something along those lines. They're always very stern, and that's their way. Plus Rados was 85 I think, already a bit "cranky" (is that the correct word?).
When you are playing in masterclasses for these sort of people, you're already presumed to be in a level where you know who these teachers are, what to expect, etc... I talked with with several other pianists and they all already knew Rados was stern, and so should the girl. So my point is, you're not obligated to play in masterclasses, to each his own.
Maybe if you were on the receiving end you would feel differently. Just because Hungarian pedagogy is known for this type of behavior doesn't justify it in my opinion. Should something bad be continued just because it happened in the past?

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2333701
10/03/14 11:23 AM
10/03/14 11:23 AM
Alberta
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
1RC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alberta
I can Fransico's point as a kind of free-market, let people make their own decisions outlook, and agree with that. But I can certainly imagine some people not knowing in advance the "master's" reputation, so in the interest of freedom wouldn't it be fair to allow some sort of review platform? Like how I can read people's opinions of a book on Amazon.com to help make a decision... I really can't see performers taking that well though.

"He's been known for exploding at random and making small children cry. Most consider it an awful experience but the audience loves it - but you make your own decision!"

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2333705
10/03/14 11:43 AM
10/03/14 11:43 AM
NYC
R
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RealPlayer  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R

NYC
Teachers like that sound like the inspiration for the current crop of reality TV shows...the ones where a semi-hostile "expert" berates and browbeats contestants (i.e. chefs, business owners) in a "makeover" scenario.

In fact, someone could just package such masterclasses ready-made and pitch them as a reality show idea.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: 1RC] #2333725
10/03/14 01:30 PM
10/03/14 01:30 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by 1RC
I can Fransico's point as a kind of free-market, let people make their own decisions outlook, and agree with that. But I can certainly imagine some people not knowing in advance the "master's" reputation, so in the interest of freedom wouldn't it be fair to allow some sort of review platform? Like how I can read people's opinions of a book on Amazon.com to help make a decision... I really can't see performers taking that well though.

"He's been known for exploding at random and making small children cry. Most consider it an awful experience but the audience loves it - but you make your own decision!"
Audience loves it?? NOT

Plus you fail to realize that some will take a masterclass so they can put it on their resume and some beginning professionals need that kind of thing on their resume. They're not forced to take a NASTER(purposely misspelled) CLASS but it may be close to being forced.

I think the argument "they know what they're getting into" is a poor excuse for what I strongly consider just plain terrible teaching. I've seen plenty of master classes where the teacher made many critical points but knew how to to it in a way that was not embarrassing, destructive, and cruel.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/03/14 01:34 PM.
Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2333842
10/03/14 09:37 PM
10/03/14 09:37 PM
F
Francisco Scalco Offline
F

People react differently to different kinds of teaching, pianoloverus. What made that pianists cry, may inspire someone else. One other pianists who had a masterclass with him later on the festival, said she was "crushed", "destroyed", but ultimately it was her favorite masterclass. So there you have it, different tastes.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2333843
10/03/14 10:15 PM
10/03/14 10:15 PM
Land of the never-ending music
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Land of the never-ending music
People react differently to different kinds of teaching, pianoloverus. What made that pianists cry, may inspire someone else.

That is true, but a teacher should have the ability to understand how to get the best out of his/her students, so the same method doesn't work for everyone.
However, yes, I understand that masterclasses are a different situation because the teacher doesn't usually know the students.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2333906
10/04/14 07:58 AM
10/04/14 07:58 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
People react differently to different kinds of teaching, pianoloverus. What made that pianists cry, may inspire someone else. One other pianists who had a masterclass with him later on the festival, said she was "crushed", "destroyed", but ultimately it was her favorite masterclass. So there you have it, different tastes.
I don't think the overwhelming majority of people like to be crushed and destroyed, and I don't think the majority of people who felt crushed and destroyed would later say it was their favorite master class.

The whole point is that it's possible to convey the exact same ideas without being arrogant and incredibly nasty. Why would a good teacher(or just a decent human being) even take a chance of making someone feel so bad? A teacher at a high school would probably be fired if he regularly treated his students that way. Abuse doensn't have to be physical.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: ChopinAddict] #2333908
10/04/14 08:08 AM
10/04/14 08:08 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
People react differently to different kinds of teaching, pianoloverus. What made that pianists cry, may inspire someone else.

That is true, but a teacher should have the ability to understand how to get the best out of his/her students, so the same method doesn't work for everyone.
However, yes, I understand that masterclasses are a different situation because the teacher doesn't usually know the students.
I think the overwhelming majority of students don't like being "taught" in a nasty and vitriolic way. If the teacher doesn't know the student, then they should not teach them that way because the chances are it will not affect the student in a positive way. How many people can learn much when they're being embarrassed or bullied? I don't think saying that the student might be the 1 in a 100 who reacts positively to nastiness justifies taking that approach.

Hamelin(who I don't see as an overly sensitive crybaby)took one lesson from Adele Marcus and quit seeing her. She basically told him he didn't know how to play. He said he still remembers talking to his wife right after the lesson about how horrible an experience it was.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/04/14 08:09 AM.
Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2333927
10/04/14 10:29 AM
10/04/14 10:29 AM
F
Francisco Scalco Offline
F

Ok, I think what happened here is a misunderstanding. He didn't abuse her, he didn't yell at her, and he didn't touch her during the masterclass. He wasn't rude, he was ruthless on his critics. He just set the bar very very very high. I think you mistook him for some aggressive person. What I meant with my comments is that he was very critical, making her replay passages to perfection, etc...
I remember another masterclass, this time with Dame Fanny Waterman, in which the pianists spent like 20, 30 minutes on the first three chords (intervals? I don't know the name in english) of the Les Adieux Sonata.
This is what I'm talking about. And curiously, after the masterclass, all the audience was criticising the teacher, except the pianists, who loved it.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2333937
10/04/14 11:00 AM
10/04/14 11:00 AM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

San Jose, CA
The birth of a child is not such an easy experience, and neither is the birth of an artist. The point of a masterclass is not to give a weekend of Shirley Temple impersonations; it's to get people past their limitations in a short and focused time.

It's not for everyone. Neither is having a baby. Neither is growing up; many people never make it past the stage of infantilism, or adult-long adolescence--- some see this as a structural defect in modern society. For the new self to be born, the old must pass away; all the boo-hooing in the world cannot change this fact, though PL is certainly free to complain about it.

If you think a masterclass is mean, wait till you're a concert artist and read the reviews--- talk about harsh. Better to be prepared by your education, in relative privacy.

Or not.

Clef

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2334101
10/04/14 08:04 PM
10/04/14 08:04 PM
New York City
P
Piano Doug Offline
Piano Doug  Offline
P

New York City
I have to say I'm with pianoloverus on this point. There is absolutely no call for abusive treatment of students in the supposed pursuit of higher pedagogical goals. Would you treat a child abusively in order to better prepare that child for an adult world that can be harsh and cruel? Far better to instill in that child (and that piano student) an unshakeable sense of self built on a history of successfully meeting increasingly-challenging goals.

Psychology tells us that stress increases performance, but only up to a point. Too much stress degrades performance, and too little doesn't stimulate peak performance. If a teacher cannot challenge a student by providing appropriately-scaled stretch goals, then that is a weakness of the teacher.

In the best a master classes I've been in or observed, the teachers made each student noticeably improved during the session, and imparted information helpful to the student and audience alike. They demonstrated extraordinately high artistic standards. They inspired, they illuminated, they gave gave freely of their best qualities. And they accomplished this without acting out their own frustrations, insecurities, or just plain meanness.

Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: Jeff Clef] #2334124
10/04/14 08:53 PM
10/04/14 08:53 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
If you think a masterclass is mean, wait till you're a concert artist and read the reviews--- talk about harsh. Better to be prepared by your education, in relative privacy.
As someone once said "Two wrongs don't make a right".

If the first behavior is bad and the second is worse I don't think it justifies the first behavior. Is severe corporal punishment for a child a good idea because it might prepare them for being tortured as a prisoner of war?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/04/14 08:59 PM.
Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: CleverName] #2334154
10/04/14 11:02 PM
10/04/14 11:02 PM
UK
Frankni Offline
Frankni  Offline

UK
Yes, I saw it. It was very funny. In fact, in his excitement he fell over with the micropohone or whatever it was, and like in a slapstick disappeared off-screen. Once recovered, he kept on hammering his counting 1-2, 1-2 into the the poor pianist's ear. Brilliant. Unfortunately, they removed the clip from Youtube.

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185
Re: Video of very angry piano teacher giving a masterclass? [Re: pianoloverus] #2334528
10/06/14 06:49 AM
10/06/14 06:49 AM
Houston, TX
Ataru074 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ataru074  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Houston, TX
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
As someone once said "Two wrongs don't make a right".

If the first behavior is bad and the second is worse I don't think it justifies the first behavior. Is severe corporal punishment for a child a good idea because it might prepare them for being tortured as a prisoner of war?

Considering the ridiculous amount of spoiled brats you can find around, maybe some more serious form of corporal punishment without the intervention of social services would be very welcome.
It's a matter of perspectives, when I was in elementary school, corporal punishment was the norm, we just grew up fine, we did learn to respect authority and STFU when was the time. I never felt abused in my music classes or art classes but I have seen some harsh take on somebody... that was the way you do learn to go prepared or don't go at all.
Real life isn't easy, and unless you take a mediocre job in a big corporation where you are expected just to smile and keep your head down while kissing your boss buttocks... better learn harsh reality as soon as possible.

Private Piano Teacher. MTNA
working on:
Albeniz: Iberia
Beethoven: Op 53
Bartok: Mikrokosmos vol. 5
Debussy: Estampes
Moszkowski: Op 72
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Long Distance Piano Moving
by jojousa. 08/22/19 10:20 PM
A Scale Per Day or Per Week or Per...
by writebynight. 08/22/19 10:13 PM
1998 C1 vs. 2016 CG1
by inna_denver. 08/22/19 07:21 PM
Achieving Tuning Stability
by GC13. 08/22/19 06:13 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,680
Posts2,861,677
Members94,222
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission