2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2333023 10/01/14 01:41 PM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
A friend, and mutual member at PW, contacted me about my posting. The turns in the thread, which I have now read, are totally bizarre.

I had thought that the thread title was pretty straight forward, though I chose to quote it as Gounod entitled it in its original language. Like the abandoned Suite Burlesque, I also abandoned the thread.

It is quite simple, really. I have been diagnosed as terminal. I wished to say farewell to my friends. I have pressing issues other than Piano World. How the funeral march begins, or ends, shall remain my choice.

How this went back to my previous incarnation at PW is totally baffling to me. At that time, my mother had passed and I didn't have much interest in any forums. When I returned, I had a new residence, a new computer, and a new ISP. It was the easiest to simply re-register and I informaed Frank of the situation. I have never hidden the fact that 'Minnesota Marty' and 'Marty in Minnesota' are the same person. However, it is easy to track back and see that the early screen name remains dormant.

I find it odd that the "March" thread has been locked and I wasn't even in the middle of it all. Though, I guess I was, in fact.

So, now you all have your answers. Those who dislike me may continue to take their pot shots. Those who are my friends remain my friends. It is all much less dramatic than was implied in the responses.

Regards,

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Marty, if you are speaking literally and not figuratively about your diagnosis, I am so sorry to hear that…

We are all in a terminal state, being mortal, and our days on earth are indeed numbered.

Despite the infighting and disagreements, I think Piano World is as much a close-knit community of friends and acquaintances as it is an online forum.

And, yes, you do have many PW friends…

Best regards,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Marty, I cannot say how sorry I am to hear that.
My very best wishes.

Best regards,

Wim

M
M
My beloved wife was diagnosed as terminal shortly after I got our B. I totally lost my interest in everything including the piano in the 7 weeks leading up to her passing and was devastated for 3 more years. Marty, my best wishes to you and something do transcend our love for music and other worldly pursuit.

2010 Steinway B #586826
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Marty,

I haven't always been "a fan". That's enough to say for now. I did however feel your presence and contribution here was valuable and was not happy when you took your leave.

Whatever your reasons for leaving and whatever road you happen to be on now. May it bring you to peace.

Regards,

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
I am so sorry to hear this Marty. My best wishes to you and yours.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
S
S
Marty, I have always enjoyed your posts. I am saddened to read your post and very sorry to hear this. You will missed here. Although I don't know you, I have known you through your writing. Your expertise and knowledge will not be easily replaced.

You do indeed have much more important issues to deal with than hot threads at PW. Stop in once in a while for some divertissment. And keep playing those Steinways.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
Je suis très bête! Of all the reasons to say farewell, this one hadn't even occurred to me.

I commented several times in the "march" thread, and I worry now that perhaps I drew unnecessary attention to it. If my words, or any others therein, troubled you, then I'm truly sorry.

Rick is correct when he says this place is a community of friends...there's no other way to explain the sorrow I feel.

I've been meaning to update everyone on my own condition, but won't do so now. I only mention it to underscore the fact that I know what it's like to contemplate a world sans oneself. And from that perspective, so many things are more significant than PianoWorld. It goes without saying, however, that you are always welcome here.

Blessed is the true judge. Godspeed, my friend, and God bless you.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

L
L
Marty I am really sorry to hear that. I wish you the best. and keep playing. that is how I deal with my depression sometimes.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Take care.

Learner
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Dear Marty,

I have come to know you as a kindred spirit. You and I are both passionate about the same things. I just wish I could play like you do!

There is no terminal but the human condition itself. Be courageous my friend. Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly, and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor. You do that every day, Marty.

With much fondness and respect,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Good morning, Marty. We are saddened to hear this and hope against hope that as it was for Ezechias - "I will add to thy days fifteen years" - so shall it be for thee. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to lighten your burden. Best wishes always,

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
C
C
MM,

I'll echo what many others are saying, I'm going to miss you as well. I'm hoping for a miracle for you.

Take care my friend.......carbonblob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Marty, I'm sorry to hear. Changing vehicles might be cumbersome, but I really believe the trip goes on forever.

May your mark endure, may the wind stay at your back, and may the next turn of the Great Mandela bring delight and surprise as this mystery of existence unfolds.

Pax
Ed

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Marty,

There's not much I can add to this already, but only to say I'm sending you much love, and peace.

A friend of mine died (aged 73) from cancer about 5 years ago, and he found enormous strength in his last months and said simply 'I just see this as the next big adventure'. Perhaps you'll meet him.

Anyway I hope that this stage of your journey is calm and pain-free, and filled with all the things that are most valuable to you.

YAMAHA Artist
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Marty,

Thank you for gracing this place with your knowledge and experience. Your post reminded me that we're all mortal. I know there's a wide variety of personal belief, but I personally believe the journey continues.

"May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
May the rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of his hand."

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Marty,
I am so sorry to hear this and am sending thoughts and good wishes your way. I've always valued and enjoyed your participation here and will miss you. I'll hope and wish for your health to improve and for you to enjoy good quality of life, with lots of music.

Sophia

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Dear Marty,
Thank you for your delicious witty and usually epigrammatic comments which have been lively flashes of understanding and insight about pianos and music.

I send you my thoughts of hope and I wish you all the love and support of your friends and family in this difficult time.

Robert.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dear Marty-

I have been searching high and low for your posts. I was wondering what happened to you.

I am a friend and customer of Rich Galassini of Cunningham Piano. We both spoke of how much we think of you and your contributions here. I was hoping that maybe one day we would all meet at Cunningham Piano and you would be one of the the people I looked forward to meeting in person. Well, I've met you already and I am better for your wit and wisdom. I wish you peace, calm, stillness.

I will miss your incredible comments - that always made me think and laugh.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission