2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
28 members (Carey, Alex C, CyberGene, 22138, Cudo, Alan B, 6 invisible), 360 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Best headphone for a digital Clavinova CVP-403
#2332279 09/29/14 05:55 PM
V
Viccha Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi,

I own a CVP-403 and I use an headphone AKG-141 Studio ... but I don't like so much the supra-aural headphone and I want to buy a circum-aural.

Can you advise me ? I found some candidates (AKG K241 MKII, Sennheiser HD-598, ... AKG Q701 but with an impedance of 65 ohms, ...).

What headphone could give me the best sound ?

Thanks a lot !

Re: Best headphone for a digital Clavinova CVP-403
Viccha #2332544 09/30/14 10:18 AM
D
D
Out of the ones you mentioned I'd probably go with the Sennheisers. The Q701s would likely require an amp (they have quite low sensitivity for headphones), so I wouldn't pick those. If possible I'd recommend checking if there are any local stores where you can go try headphones, because "best" sound is relative to your ears, so it'd probably be better to try them if possible.

There are also many other options, but a lot depends on your budget.

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
Viccha #2332576 09/30/14 11:49 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I've heard good things about the Philips Fidelio X1 (X2 coming in October). You can most likely run these without an amp. These are not optimal for monitoring (flat/neutral). Supposedly, the bass is slightly enhanced; which may or may not be a good thing for piano playing.

Most reviewers recommend changing the default cable (high impedance) for a generic type. Philips claims to have fixed this for the upcoming X2. Asides from the issue with the default cable, I've read mostly good things. Also, there are several videos on youtube regarding the X1.

I usually buy from vendors that accept returns. If the headphones don't do it for me, I simply return them.

Pete14 #2332594 09/30/14 01:05 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Pete14
I've heard good things about the Philips Fidelio X1 (X2 coming in October). You can most likely run these without an amp. These are not optimal for monitoring (flat/neutral). Supposedly, the bass is slightly enhanced; which may or may not be a good thing for piano playing.

Most reviewers recommend changing the default cable (high impedance) for a generic type. Philips claims to have fixed this for the upcoming X2. Asides from the issue with the default cable, I've read mostly good things. Also, there are several videos on youtube regarding the X1.

I usually buy from vendors that accept returns. If the headphones don't do it for me, I simply return them.

There are a couple things to keep in mind about the X1 though.
1) You cannot replace the pads (main thing being addressed with the X2 from my understanding)
2) Best deal on them on Amazon was $150, but they're almost double that now. If you decide to go for them, I'd definitely wait for them to drop back down after the X2 comes out.

Kawai MP10
Viccha #2332654 09/30/14 04:11 PM
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
I support the recommendation of the Sennheisers. I'd add also the Beyer DT990 Pro 250 ohm headphones. Both of these *can* be found, occasionally, in the $150 range. Not all the time, for sure - have to be watchful and a bit lucky to catch a promo.

(I'd swear I saw a post in this forum a few months back telling of one person's experience with the Beyers. Can't find it now, tho. It did make me go out and buy a pair - and I'm now using them most of the time instead of my 598's. Like'em both, however!)

Viccha #2332695 09/30/14 05:48 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I'm a simple soul wink . I don't think there is such a thing as the best headphones for a specific output source, let alone for a specific digital.

IMO, the best headphones for a digital - any digital - are also the best ones for your other music sources, like your MP3 player, or your hi-fi system. With one proviso - that the headphones must have high enough sensitivity, because some DPs won't give sufficient volume for headphones with low sensitivities unless you add an amplifier for them. If your headphones work OK with your MP3 player, they should be fine for your DP.

I bought my second pair of headphones (I wanted an open-ear pair, because the closed ones I was given to use with my digital was too warm for summer use) based on recommendations in a respected hi-fi magazine. And just as they provided the best sound with my DP, they also provided the best sound when using my iPod and when listening to my laptop or hi-fi system.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Deffie #2333041 10/01/14 03:01 PM
V
Viccha Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Deffie
The Q701s would likely require an amp (they have quite low sensitivity for headphones), so I wouldn't pick those.

The amplification of my Clavinova gives 2x45 w. Is an amp necessary to drive the Q701 ?

If possible I'd recommend checking if there are any local stores where you can go try headphones, because "best" sound is relative to your ears, so it'd probably be better to try them if possible.

I did not find a store selling the Q701 ..

There are also many other options, but a lot depends on your budget.

Maximum is the price of the Q701

Last edited by Viccha; 10/01/14 03:12 PM.
Viccha #2333045 10/01/14 03:11 PM
V
Viccha Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks for you answers.

I thing I need to reformulate my question. When I said "the best sound", I did a mistake.

Based on your experiences, the headphone you are using or have used or compared, what are the high-quality headphones you can recommend ?

The criteria are open/semi-open, circus-aural.
Off course without using an amp, knowing that my clavinova gives 2x45.

Last edited by Viccha; 10/01/14 03:12 PM.
Viccha #2333064 10/01/14 04:21 PM
D
D
2x45 w is the power your Clavinova puts out for speakers, the headphone output would be on a completely separate circuit and likely puts out at most a couple hundred milliwatts.

Around $200, I'd probably look at:

Sennheiser HD558 / 598 (haven't heard them, but they're supposed to be good)

Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 (I like the 770, haven't heard the others, the 880 is supposed to be the most neutral out of the three models).

Sony MDR-MA900, they're discontinued in the US, but you can still find pairs online around $200.

AKG K241 maybe, but I haven't heard it.

AKG Q701 is a rather polarizing sound, as they've got fairly emphasized treble and high power requirements.

Also hit up http://www.head-fi.org/ for way more information. I definitely agree that good music headphones are typically also the best for piano.

And just as a point of reference, I currently have:

Sennheiser HD600, Sony MDR-MA900, Beyerdynamic DT 150, Shure SRH840, Grado SR80i

And my sound quality reference were the Audeze LCD-2s that I had for a bit over a year.

Kawai MP10
Viccha #2333070 10/01/14 04:34 PM
Be aware that this is not a factor:
Originally Posted by Viccha
... knowing that my clavinova gives 2x45.
The amplifier's output configuration is different when using speakers, so the 45 watt spec on the piano's amplifier does not apply to phones.

45 watts would fry your phones. Even 1 watt would bust your eardrums (and maybe the phones, too).

Headphones don't need much power, and they have higher impedance than speakers. So the headphone jack is wired to produce much less power, and to work with higher impedance.

The only sure way to know whether phones will work with the piano is to try them.

MacMacMac #2333153 10/01/14 09:13 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
There should be an entry in the spec in the manual indicating the headphone impedance that works best with the keyboard. For example, my Motif XS8 was spec'd for low impedance headphones (as I recall) around 80 ohms. I chose the DT770 Pro80 and they worked fine. The headphones I got with my V-Grand are similarly low impedance, around 30 ohms. A large impedance mismatch would result in lower volume than might otherwise be possible with a given keyboard. Of course, maybe most keyboards are in that low impedance range, I have a very small sample to work from.

The overall sensitivity of the headphones is another spec separate from impedance, as has already been discussed in this thread, but impedance mismatch should be considered when choosing headphones.

Tony

TonyB #2333395 10/02/14 02:02 PM
V
Viccha Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by TonyB
There should be an entry in the spec in the manual indicating the headphone impedance that works best with the keyboard.

I did not find an entry in the spec ... Does somebody known the answer ?

Last edited by Viccha; 10/02/14 05:54 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammer Drilling Jig
by BDB - 07/10/20 12:15 AM
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-700 Series
by Almaviva - 07/09/20 09:57 PM
Chicago's "Colour My World"
by MacMorrighan - 07/09/20 09:53 PM
Re-envisioning the Piano Recital: An Audiovisual Alternative
by Tyrone Slothrop - 07/09/20 08:18 PM
Avantgrand N3 repair and regulation
by Eric NYC - 07/09/20 07:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,155
Posts2,978,932
Members97,722
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission