2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
[quote=terminaldegree]If it was from 2010, the action wasn't Renner. Your statement about actions makes very little sense in the first place... :crazy: [/quote] I would like to know what is your opinion about MH new and vintage?

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Ed,as regards my CC2, it was selected by 3 piano faculty members and was also preferred to the Steinway offerings at the time. Of course the faculty could be imbeciles, but like I said, we all drooled over it as students and played umpteen recitals on it, and fought to practice on it on weekends. Maybe it's a fluke of the 60's time period. I'm glad to have it.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've heard that people prefer Masons over Steinways and those that prefer Steinways say Masons are a close 2nd. Personally I'm drawn to both (all things being equal) but the Mason BB seems to have a edge over the overall power and resonance in the tenor/bass then a B. Just curious if anyone think that a well prepped BB that can rival a D in a home environment?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Can't really say as I have never played a D in a home setting. I'll tell you though that my BB can overpower a room that is 21' x 42' with a cathedral ceiling if the room is not full of people. I often think that if I opened the windows, you could hear me 2 towns over. I don't know if my BB is as powerful as a D. But, I couldn't really imagine a bigger piano in the room. And as rooms go, it's big and well filled with rugs and furniture.

Last edited by dynamobt; 09/29/14 07:21 PM.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Miguel Rey
I've heard that people prefer Masons over Steinways and those that prefer Steinways say Masons are a close 2nd. Personally I'm drawn to both (all things being equal) but the Mason BB seems to have a edge over the overall power and resonance in the tenor/bass then a B. Just curious if anyone think that a well prepped BB that can rival a D in a home environment?
If you want to make comparisons i think it should be Mason BB vs. Steinway B. A Steinway D is inappropriate for most homes.

Online Content
Power is rarely important in a home environment.

C
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
[quote=Miguel Rey]If you want to make comparisons i think it should be Mason BB vs. Steinway B. A Steinway D is inappropriate for most homes.

My piano professor had two Ds in his living room: a Hamburg (the favorite), and a New York. In his office on campus he had a B, which took up half the office. I think the rich bass of long pianos can be enjoyed in small spaces.

For me, a M&H BB, which Larry Fine describes as having a "prodigious bass register [that] sounds like that of a concert grand," would certainly suffice. When it comes to Steinways, I want my uncle's Hamburg C (7'5").

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Just curious if anyone think that a well prepped BB that can rival a D in a home environment?
I would take a good BB over most Bs I've played. The D is in it's own category in that it's unique sound is so familiar from concert stages and recordings. I love BBs, but a good D can be equaled by very few pianos.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If you want to make comparisons i think it should be Mason BB vs. Steinway B. A Steinway D is inappropriate for most homes.

That's my point. I've read that a D in a home would actually have adverse affects on mid/lower resonance thus "perhaps" giving the BB and maybe even a B an advantage. I'm not talking about power or volume here

Last edited by Miguel Rey; 09/30/14 03:14 PM.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Nine footers properly voiced sound good anywhere. Horowitz didn't seem to mind a D in his living room. I have owned 9 footers almost exclusively for the last 25 years and I wouldn't swap a 9 footer for a 7 footer.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I have posted here before that I have my 10 year old Mason BB in a small bedroom and it sounds really nice in spite of the room. Would it blast out in a large room with wooden floors? You bet. As loud as a Steinway D? I doubt it. Actually, I tried a fifty year old Mason CC several years ago and I expect that if it had been up to its original condition, no piano would match it for power, but I have played several new Steinway D's and I have to say, I love them. I just don't love the price. For that matter, a new Steinway B is a mightly lovely beast, too. What's wrong with liking Steinways and Masons? These are top notch pianos and each has its special qualities. I just found the Masons more affordable, especially if you can find a slightly-used one like I did.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission