Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
128 registered members (AAC127, Ankee, akc42, anotherscott, Anglagard44, Abdol, AYS, 32 invisible), 1,311 guests, and 539 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: pianoloverus] #2328424 09/17/14 01:58 PM
E
eugene_bb Offline
E
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
You say "please be reasonable"(i.e. my 80% for the dealer is unreasonable) and then you give examples where people are forced to liquidate their pianos at very low prices in the net sentence. Seems like you contradict yourself. Besides that, I stated several times the 80% was just used by me to make a point.

Nor did I simply say that the "dealer making too much money" would discourage me from buying the piano. I said if the dealer's profit plus the original owner's profit was much higher than what the piano would go for in a private sale then I would not buy the piano unless 8K was not a significant amount to me.

Unreasonable logic is what I am trying to say. If a piano that is usually sold for $10,000, and one was listed at $2,000 for a private sale, most people wouldn't be fast enough to even see it. It would be sold incredibly quickly. This situation is possible, but most people wouldn't see it or know about.

conversely, if a piano that normally sells for $2,000 at private sale, a dealer has to be total idiot to list it for $10,000, and he will soon be out of business. This situation is not reasonable.

However, i am sure that piano dealers get pianos that need to be liquidated for very low prices, but they won't price it based on their acquired cost, but they will price it at the market price. I am sure this situation happens often.

maybe the 80% number is off, but the bottom line is that the amount of money that the dealer is making should be irrelevant to people. I never understood that whole argument, but people are not as savvy as they think.

When an item is listed at price X, it might not be considered a good price, but if the same item is listed at 20%Y, then it is considered a great deal, even though 20%Y might be greater than X. This is because people can't judge for themselves if a product is worth a certain price, but if an artificial price is listed, and then a huge discount is offered, people feel like they are getting a great deal.

Maybe the instigator of all of these threads would feel better if that same piano was listed at $24,000, and the dealer reluctantly sold it to him at $16,000, he probably would feel great. However, because it is listed at $16,000, it is too much. Even though it is better than brand new O & M Steinway pianos which cost $40,000 - $50,000 which people all over the world are freely paying, so it is worth that much to many people. Yet, this so called Boston piano which is much better than those pianos isn't worth $16,000.

I guess I am beating a dead horse into dust. No use trying to convince pianoloverus or paul678. I hope Paul678 that you will find a piano. Based on these discussions, you will probably settle for a piano that was a good deal before getting a piano that you really think is good.

For us, we quickly forgot about the price we paid for our piano, and we just enjoy it. But then again, we did get a good deal. Hahaha.....

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: eugene_bb] #2328449 09/17/14 03:04 PM
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by eugene_bb

I guess I am beating a dead horse into dust. No use trying to convince pianoloverus or paul678. I hope Paul678 that you will find a piano. Based on these discussions, you will probably settle for a piano that was a good deal before getting a piano that you really think is good.

For us, we quickly forgot about the price we paid for our piano, and we just enjoy it. But then again, we did get a good deal. Hahaha.....

Oh I see, a good deal is good for you, but I should settle
for an "OK" deal?

No way, Jose!!

Yes, you are beating a dead horse! What you cannot seem
to accept is that there are others who think differently than
you. Take a deep breath, and then say, "You are entitled to
your opinion."

Repeat...and then repeat again......etc......

grin

Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: Paul678] #2328459 09/17/14 03:47 PM
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
80% dealer commission scenario:

Castle sold. Piano needs to be removed from mountain top. Helicopter will cost $2,000. Dr. Frankenstein needs to flee quickly.

Igor tells dealer, I don't care what happens, Master wants piano out STAT, crowds are gathering.

Consignment arranged.

Piano sells for $10,000.

Dealer moves piano, subtracts Helicopter fee and pockets $6K.

Dr. F has $2K travel money rather than paying moving costs.

Igor falls in love with Frau Bluthner.

The End.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: Paul678] #2328460 09/17/14 03:50 PM
Minnesota Marty Offline

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Paul678
What you cannot seem
you.

Ummmmmmm

Think about that, repeat, repeat, rinse, repeat, repeat.

Marty in Minnesota

Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: Paul678] #2328461 09/17/14 04:06 PM
E
eugene_bb Offline
E
Originally Posted by Paul678

Oh I see, a good deal is good for you, but I should settle
for an "OK" deal?

No way, Jose!!

Yes, you are beating a dead horse! What you cannot seem
you. Take a deep breath, and then say, "You are entitled to
your opinion."

Repeat...and then repeat again......etc......

grin

Don't settle, but in the end, I think you will settle on a crappier piano because you think it is a good deal versus getting the better piano at a worse deal. that is just my opinion, and it obviously has no bearing on the outcome, but it might end up being the truth.

I am saying that the deal is based on the final price, not on the dealer profit. If that same piano that you want was a private sale at $16,000, would you buy it. If you are, then it makes no sense to me. You are still out $16,000, and you have the piano. What is the difference? If you are concerned with who gets the money, why go to a dealer. Use a private sale, then you know the entire amount goes to the owner.

Based on your other threads of contemplating shipping a piano sight unseen from Arizona, I think my prediction will come true.

Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: Paul678] #2328468 09/17/14 04:14 PM
C
Carbonblob Offline
C
Good one(s) MM! I swear, I just heard a horse whinny when I read Frau Bluthner!

I just erased my take. You're right, this is a dead horse thing. Poor horse.......blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: eugene_bb] #2328471 09/17/14 04:21 PM
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Don't settle, but in the end, I think you will settle on a crappier piano because you think it is a good deal versus getting the better piano at a worse deal. that is just my opinion, and it obviously has no bearing on the outcome, but it might end up being the truth.

I am saying that the deal is based on the final price, not on the dealer profit. If that same piano that you want was a private sale at $16,000, would you buy it. If you are, then it makes no sense to me. You are still out $16,000, and you have the piano. What is the difference? If you are concerned with who gets the money, why go to a dealer. Use a private sale, then you know the entire amount goes to the owner.

Based on your other threads of contemplating shipping a piano sight unseen from Arizona, I think my prediction will come true.

Well, you last statement shows where your mentality is! I was
just checking how much it would be for someone else!

And you are wrong. I'm gonna get a great piano, AND get a good
deal!

*** it!!!

grin

Last edited by Rickster; 09/17/14 04:54 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language
Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: Minnesota Marty] #2328472 09/17/14 04:23 PM
88 Fingers Jeff Offline
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

You left out the most important part. What happens to Inga? grin

Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff] #2328479 09/17/14 04:43 PM
Minnesota Marty Offline

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 88 Fingers Jeff
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

You left out the most important part. What happens to Inga? grin

Remember all of the village men?

wink

Marty in Minnesota

Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: Paul678] #2329309 09/20/14 02:09 PM
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm one who usually likes to haggle and find a good deal, so I agree with some of the folks above who say information is good, better too much than too little. At the same time, the price is the price and who cares how it's divided up once the seller takes your money? But...

I'm gonna point out the obvious here, and surprised that no one else has. Whether you're "entitled" to the information, or "have a right to it," if you really want to know what the split is, just call the dealer and ask him if he sells pianos on consignment and if so what the arrangements are.

I'm not sure why many people above assume you're talking about the same piano, but, if you are, by now the dealer may recognize your voice! wink

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: What is the Typical Piano Commission Split? [Re: Paul678] #2329313 09/20/14 02:31 PM
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Just out of interest, did all of the above help you buying this piano? Or did you end up not buying it?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Free piano - from a dealer!
by Chrispy - 12/05/19 04:35 PM
Practice tips for beginners - video
by Morodiene - 12/05/19 11:29 AM
Beginner Repertoire
by JacoV - 12/05/19 08:14 AM
Kissin's opus 1
by Sibylle - 12/05/19 07:42 AM
Digital modelling
by keff - 12/05/19 06:04 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,523
Posts2,898,992
Members95,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission