Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Andymania, Arty Movie, ChuckSWLA, Ankee, clothearednincompo, chara, BeeZee4, atamgp, beeboss, 13 invisible), 1,059 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: turandot] #2324064
09/04/14 02:45 PM
09/04/14 02:45 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by turandot
[...]On the other hand, [ess eks] with it hard harsh consonants is not fun at all, downright unmusical and unpoetic in fact. The subconscious penetration may well induce a severe headahce. The [ks] cluster ends the name abruptly and prematurely, leaving the consumer with the thought: "That's it? That's all you've got? You've got to be kidding me!" unless the consumer happens to be a fan of vinatage Errol Flynn film roles. grin
[...]

I wonder if they thought of "Essexstein"? - Too many consonant clusters, perhaps, but pronounceable. smile

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Grandman] #2324074
09/04/14 03:39 PM
09/04/14 03:39 PM
B
BornInTheUSA Offline
1000 Post Club Member
BornInTheUSA  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by Grandman

Quite the opposite. Quality components don't "cheapen" themselves by being used in lesser known instruments. Rather, they improve the quality of those instruments which, in turn, makes it better for the consumer.

I know that's the intent, but given that almost all the pianos coming from China have a similar checklist of components, the rarity factor sort of goes away.

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2324252
09/05/14 02:22 AM
09/05/14 02:22 AM
Toronto
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AJF  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Toronto
I'm just 'guesstimating' that North America in 2014 is probably one of the world's smaller piano markets so maybe Schimmel has little concern for how we interpret/receive the name of a new piano. If I were a piano maker in 2014 I'd be far more concerned about how the instrument will be received in Asian markets where the instruments are still selling well.
If I'm incorrect in this assumption I'm sure someone 'in the know' will eagerly and promptly correct my misinformation.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: AJF] #2324286
09/05/14 05:43 AM
09/05/14 05:43 AM
Usa
G
Grandman Offline
500 Post Club Member
Grandman  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Usa
Originally Posted by AJF
I'm just 'guesstimating' that North America in 2014 is probably one of the world's smaller piano markets so maybe Schimmel has little concern for how we interpret/receive the name of a new piano. If I were a piano maker in 2014 I'd be far more concerned about how the instrument will be received in Asian markets where the instruments are still selling well.
If I'm incorrect in this assumption I'm sure someone 'in the know' will eagerly and promptly correct my misinformation.

This makes sense. I'm not sure how much we really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2324358
09/05/14 10:35 AM
09/05/14 10:35 AM
Toronto
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AJF  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Toronto
Or the 'upright' scheme of things either :-P

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: AJF] #2324394
09/05/14 11:59 AM
09/05/14 11:59 AM
Olympia, Washington
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Del  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D

Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted by AJF

The North American piano market, as a whole, is now one of the smaller markets. It is one of the larger grand piano markets, however.

I doubt the Schimmel family will be overly worried about how a few Piano Forum members ridiculing the given name of one of their ancestors will affect their business. They might feel personally insulted but that is another issue.

In Asia the name will be perceived as German -- what more need be said?

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: AJF] #2324435
09/05/14 01:31 PM
09/05/14 01:31 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Originally Posted by AJF
I'm just 'guesstimating' that North America in 2014 is probably one of the world's smaller piano markets

(not offered as a correction grin)

I think Schimmel might be keeping a close eye on Toronto for an early indicator of market reception.

You mayt be able to greet and meet one or more of Fridolin's progeny if you visit Robert Lowrey's place. Best to call first though to confirm and make a reservation. Avoid any references to dumbed-down piannos.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Del] #2324452
09/05/14 02:43 PM
09/05/14 02:43 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by Del
In Asia the name will be perceived as German -- what more need be said?

Point well taken !! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: turandot] #2324782
09/06/14 03:23 PM
09/06/14 03:23 PM
Vancouver, BC
JayGVan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JayGVan  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by AJF
I'm just 'guesstimating' that North America in 2014 is probably one of the world's smaller piano markets

(not offered as a correction grin)

I think Schimmel might be keeping a close eye on Toronto for an early indicator of market reception.

You mayt be able to greet and meet one or more of Fridolin's progeny if you visit Robert Lowrey's place. Best to call first though to confirm and make a reservation. Avoid any references to dumbed-down piannos.

I'll be there the 3rd week of September. And will be sure, if I can get my hands on one, to give it a solid working over.

Jay

Formerly in the business. Now just a piano fan.
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2327889
09/15/14 10:57 PM
09/15/14 10:57 PM
Banned
chernobieff Offline
chernobieff  Offline

Banned
New pictures of the Schimmel-Nelson piano factory!
http://antiquepianoemporium.com/schimmel-nelson-2/

Chris Chernobieff
www.chernobieff.com
chrisppff@gmail.com
Author of over 500 piano books
Builder of the 7' Tall Mammoth Piano

"I Will Build the Greatest Piano Ever!"
D.H. Baldwin
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2327892
09/15/14 11:02 PM
09/15/14 11:02 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Rochester MN
Chris,

Are you carrying Fridolin pianos? Do you have the answers to the questions asked in this thread?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Minnesota Marty] #2328119
09/16/14 03:16 PM
09/16/14 03:16 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Chris,

Are you carrying Fridolin pianos? Do you have the answers to the questions asked in this thread?

I don't recall any unanswered questions about Schimmel's new budget line.

Refresh my memory.

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: turandot] #2328154
09/16/14 04:48 PM
09/16/14 04:48 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Rochester MN
Chris,

I don't recall any unanswered questions about Schimmel's new budget line.

Refresh my memory.

The question which hasn't been answered is whether this is a newly designed piano or merely a renaming of an existing design.

Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
For clarification because my previous post may not have been clear, at NAMM and at the National PTG convention, the introduction of Fridolin consisted of swapping the fallboard from a new Weber. Literally, inside the piano with a Fridolin fallboard was the same Weber soundboard decal as if the swap was last minute. If more differentiation is on the horizon, then those details would be helpful, but for now, compare to Del's Webers.

Marty in Minnesota

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Minnesota Marty] #2328185
09/16/14 06:51 PM
09/16/14 06:51 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA

The question which hasn't been answered is whether this is a newly designed piano or merely a renaming of an existing design.

Well, given Sam's anecdote about interchangeable fallboards thumb that you quoted, other information on the thread, and the way the industry works, I think you'll be waiting indefinitely for a new design.

I'd suggest assuming to be true whichever answer pleases you more as a way of getting past your concerns, assuming you have concerns.

Asking a retailer who sells exotic items like the Mammoth if he stocks the Fridolin line is not likely to be productive.

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2328189
09/16/14 07:02 PM
09/16/14 07:02 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Rochester MN
Turandot,

Thank you for your critique of my question and your disregard of my curiosity about the piano. Schimmel is a fine builder and I have interest in new models introduced by the top level builders.

I would assume that dealers would have more information available to them and might be able to offer more specifics on the Fridolin line. I don't know if that dealer carries them, or not, and that is why I asked.

Do you have more information?

Marty in Minnesota

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Minnesota Marty] #2328196
09/16/14 07:28 PM
09/16/14 07:28 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Turandot,

Do you have more information?

Well yeah, but I don't think it will please you. You state that your interest has been piqued by your estimation that Schimmel is a fine builder, and Schimmel didn't build this piano. I hope that you can get past that without losing faith in Schimmel as a fine builder.

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2328200
09/16/14 07:42 PM
09/16/14 07:42 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Rochester MN
I am perfectly aware that Schimmel doesn't build the piano. I am aware that it is built in China. However, that doesn't exclude Schimmel from being the designer. Or, it may only be a stencil of Del's Weber.

S&S doesn't build the Boston or Essex either. But, they designed them. The introductions of those pianos were of major interest to piano aficionados.

I cannot understand why you can't accept the fact that I would like to know more about the instrument.

Marty in Minnesota

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Minnesota Marty] #2328237
09/16/14 09:36 PM
09/16/14 09:36 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA

I cannot understand why you can't accept the fact that I would like to know more about the instrument.

Okay. I'll assume your interest is legitimate and that the information on the thread still leaves you in doubt about your question. All I can say is what I said before, that in that case, you'll need to wait and the wait may be considerable.

This venture does not involve a huge order of pianos. It is a trial balloon. The only dealer in N.A. who is currently listing inventory is in Canada. Schimmel has not supplied a marketing blurb, so he is using the one from the Keyboard magazine article that announced the piano and embellishing on it. The original begins.....

"Solid workmanship and an exquisite choice of materials make this a very desirable piano......"

He has embellished it to read:

Solid workmanship, an exquisite choice of materials, and experienced piano craftsman guarantees a truly European sound experience.

This is not the way that any fine builder brings to market a piano at any market level that it has in fact designed. That's not the way it works in the industry. You don't start your blurb with "solid workmanship".

If neither the information on the thread nor the type of marketing that is being done leads you to the answer to your own question, then you'll just need to wait.

My guess is that with a favorable market response to the trial balloon, Schimmel could find some way to differentiate future orders from standard Webers if they choose to order more. It could involve the type of prep they suggest to their dealers who stock the Fridolin or minor cosmetic changes requested of Young Chang. It's possible, but very unlikely because of expense, that they could have them shipped to Germany for finishing before releasing them to the market. That's what they did when they first introduced the May Berlins, the line that Frdiolin is replacing. But i'ts pretty clear that Schimmel is not trying to re-invent the wheel here, and that makes sense. If a proven piano that Schimmel likes is available to fill a need at a cost that Schimmel likes, it eliminates a lot of potential disappointments that can occur with OEM.

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2328247
09/16/14 10:25 PM
09/16/14 10:25 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Rochester MN
Turandot,

I understand all you have stated very well.

You asked me a question, and I responded.

A dealer linked to his sales site which had all of the canned info about the Fridolin. That would tend to indicate that it was a line he carried, however, it was not listed in his webpage lineup. So, I simply asked him. He has yet to answer and in his place you have chosen to scold me for a simple question. Now you are giving me a lecture on company marketing techniques and telling nothing which hasn't been said previously.

If the dealer is stocking the piano, he would be able to provide some answers to our questions.

Get It. - Got It? - Good!

Marty in Minnesota

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Minnesota Marty] #2328265
09/16/14 11:44 PM
09/16/14 11:44 PM
B
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
beethoven986  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
B

I am perfectly aware that Schimmel doesn't build the piano. I am aware that it is built in China. However, that doesn't exclude Schimmel from being the designer. Or, it may only be a stencil of Del's Weber....I cannot understand why you can't accept the fact that I would like to know more about the instrument.

FWIW, I saw the 6' model at the PTG convention, in Atlanta. Many of the design features of that piano suggested to me that it was designed by Del. These features included a rather substantial curved bass cut-off bar, treble 'fish' cut-off bar, long back scale length, and short front duplex. I may be forgetting a few, but it's been a while! Very transparent bass/benor crossover and clean treble (in a good way). Del has written about and advocated for such design features in his writings for a long time, and incorporated them into his rebuilding work, though other designers do, as well. There may be some subtle differences, but I am pretty sure these are essentially the same as the entry level Weber. I hope this helps answer your question. It was a very nice piano.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Igor Levit Beethoven Cycle now posted on YouTube
by BeeZee4. 10/19/19 03:13 AM
Dave Frank Concert in Budapest 10/3/19
by Dfrankjazz. 10/19/19 01:57 AM
Nice legs!
by Retsacnal. 10/18/19 07:15 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,602
Posts2,880,835
Members94,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission