2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I'd never much thought of this passage this way before, because it's such a familiar piece and passage that it doesn't seem "weird" -- it's more like it-is-what-it-is, which is how it often is when something is familiar. But stepping back from it and trying to look at it freshly, which is never fully possible but we can try, I'm thinking that this is just plain weird (not in a bad way) smile ....and if I hadn't come across it till I knew more about music than when I did start knowing it, I would have been like "wtf."

Let's have some fun with it. grin
I'll hold back on saying what passage I'm thinking of, to see if it's one of the first things that occurs to anyone else.

But I will say what I think is the second weirdest passage in Chopin that jumps to mind. It's the part in this Mazurka at 1:30....

S
S
Climax of the Barcarolle, nothing near comparable harmonically speaking by any composer at that date IMO.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/uptcom
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

S
S
However, as entire Chopin pieces are concerned (which I realize is off-topic strictly), the Fourth Scherzo is decidedly weird (unless put alongside, say, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique 1st movement)
But it least it works in its own bizarre way, leaving in a class of its own that G minor Nocturne (Op 15/3) - well, weird falls way short of adequate.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/uptcom
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
http://euge.ca/2014/08/09/introduction/

Maybe this? Haha
Or maybe the very end of this same piece.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Great replies! Nobody has said the passage I had in mind, but (hint!).... smile
It's not in the Polonaise-Fantaisie. (BTW to Joel: Good to see you! I think you haven't been around much lately, but then again neither have I.) grin

The thing about the Polonaise-Fantaisie is that the whole piece is so continuously borderline-weird that no single passage stands out to me as being that weird.

I agree about that part near the end of the Barcarolle being a bit weird.....heck, it is weird smile .....but (just quibbling about fine meanings) to me it's more futuristic than "wtf." The passage I'm talking about is (to me) utterly "wtf" -- if I put aside my familiarity with it, which makes it feel almost normal. ha

BTW, the last chord of this passage:

Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto

......seemed so weird (or something) at the time when it was written that at least one published "corrected" it to a straight G minor chord.

P
P
MarkC: does it , your weirdest, happen to be in Op. 54?

Everyday is a great day.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't see how Op. 54 is weird at all.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
(BTW to Joel: Good to see you! I think you haven't been around much lately, but then again neither have I.) grin

Yea, it's been a while. I guess I felt like it was getting a little sour around here. It does feel nice to post again though.

P
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

Most of it I find virtually perfect, but near the end, I am mostly confused. Do you have any idea where I mean? smile

Everyday is a great day.
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by pianorigami
MarkC: does it , your weirdest, happen to be in Op. 54?

....and I'm in between the two of you on the 4th Scherzo. smile

In terms of the overall feel of the piece, I'm with what Joel said; in fact it's like the opposite of weird. To me the weirdest thing about the piece as a whole is how un-weird for Chopin it is.

BUT, there are some things within it that are a bit weird considering the context of such a relatively joyous piece. Plus, to me, there's technical curiosity which to me feels kind of weird (and I've mentioned it before): that the very hardest little part of the piece is something that doesn't sound at all hard and doesn't seem like it should be hard, but it screws the heil outta me....9:49 - 9:51 on here:

I wonder if that part is within what you meant here:

....near the end, I am mostly confused. Do you have any idea where I mean? smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Most of it I find virtually perfect, but near the end, I am mostly confused. Do you have any idea where I mean? smile

Nope. Send me a YouTube link. I'm in my bed and too comfortable (lazy) to get my score.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
9:49 - 9:51 on here

I don't find that part to be especially difficult. Personally, I don't see how you can rate that over some of the other nasty runs in the piece. eek help

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....I don't see how you can rate that over some of the other nasty runs in the piece. eek help

Well I didn't either. grin

It's something about the weirdness (to me) of the counterpoint that's going on. The voices seem in conflict. I don't mean that there's anything wrong or bad about it -- it's great. But it's confusing to my head and fingers, no matter how well I know what's going on. That kind of thing is what's hardest for me (I mean, except for something that I just can't play altogether). ha

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
First thing I thought of was an extremely dissonant run in the Tarantella, but it's not really that strange.. just violent and jarring. Development section of the Third Sonata, first movement would have to be my real pick. It is all over the place.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
First thing I thought of was an extremely dissonant run in the Tarantella, but it's not really that strange.. just violent and jarring.

You mean the 'scale' part that's sort of (I think) in F-flat major (although with a pedal-point E-flat at the bottom), "poco a poco piu animato"? If so, I agree with how you describe it, and yeah, I'd say we can call it "weird" too.

Development section of the Third Sonata, first movement would have to be my real pick. It is all over the place.

I agree -- but to me neither of these if as "weird" as the passage I meant. Maybe I should have just called the quality "wtf" rather than weird.

Anyway, whatever I call it, I have a feeling that when I say what passage I'm talking about, everybody will just groan. ha

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Say it. laugh

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Is it that B major Nocturne that ends in B minor?

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
Is it that B major Nocturne that ends in B minor?

Nah, I'd never call that either weird or wtf, just sort of a stun.

I know I'm parsing words here.
Maybe a good thing Stores isn't around -- he'd have a pretty good laugh. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ha

Actually on 2nd thought....if you're talking about not just the very end but where the sort of declamatory recitative coda starts -- yeah, that's kinda weird.

BTW, was the scale thing what you meant in the Tarantelle?

edit: I got so wrapped up in the Nocturne and Tarantelle stuff that I forgot about this part of what you had said:

Development section of the Third Sonata, first movement would have to be my real pick. It is all over the place.

Yeah -- I'd say this fits what I asked for as much as what I was thinking of, although I think mine is more of a "wtf."

I guess we might need to define "wtf." ha
I mean besides just saying what the letters stand for, which we can't, although I think most people know. grin

Say it. laugh

Nah, wanna see some more other votes first.

Last edited by Mark_C; 09/16/14 01:41 AM.
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Another hint, maybe.....
re this thing I said:

It's not in the Polonaise-Fantaisie....The thing about the Polonaise-Fantaisie is that the whole piece is so continuously borderline-weird that no single passage stands out to me as being that weird.

The main weirdness (or more like "wtf-ness," as I said later) is its context. It's like it comes suddenly from nowhere, with nothing to do with what came right before or what comes after. (In terms of "music theory elements," it does relate to things that came earlier in the piece, but in its tone and spirit, I'd say it doesn't, although that depends a lot on how it's played, and in any event I think most people would agree that it's a great departure from what surrounds it.) The passage itself, besides the context, isn't much weird at all, although indeed it doesn't have much connection to anything else in Chopin, and, again especially the way some people play it, can seem like it's from a totally different era and (maybe) continent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission