2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hi all,
is it possible to plug a sustain pedal like YamahaFC3 or Roland DP10 into an expression IN of a keyboard?

I would like to use partial sustain on keyboards with only a on-off sustain IN, like the Casio PX-5S.

If the two kinds of pedals are electronically compatible, I would expect to get sustain (CC#11) continuous Midi signals when I press the pedal, so I could remap it with a software on sustain messages (CC#64) and control a vst like Pianoteq.

Has anyone tried it?

Thank you, sorry for my English,

Massimo

B
OP Offline
B
Ops... Meant

I would expect to get _EXPRESSION_ (CC#11) continuous Midi signals when I press the pedal, so I could remap it with a software on sustain messages (CC#64)

M
M
Yes, it is possible provided that the TRS wiring and pot value are acceptable for the EXP IN you want to use.

I myself did it, some time ago, to send Continuous Sustain to my Nord Stage 2 via MIDI CC#64: I used a Roland DP10 connected to the EXP IN of a Edirol PCR-M80 master keyboard, programmed to send the CC#64 rather than the standard CC#11.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Maxpiano
Yes, it is possible provided that the TRS wiring and pot value are acceptable for the EXP IN you want to use.

I myself did it, some time ago, to send Continuous Sustain to my Nord Stage 2 via MIDI CC#64: I used a Roland DP10 connected to the EXP IN of a Edirol PCR-M80 master keyboard, programmed to send the CC#64 rather than the standard CC#11.

Nice to hear, thank you Maxpiano

Massimo Barbieri

B
OP Offline
B
Update: from further research, it results that the Px5's two pedal inputs are on-off switches (a very "strange" decision: even older and cheaper keyboards have an expression input).

It's a pity, for a nearly perfect piano, synth and controller.
I'll probably wait for the px5s successor :-)

Massimo

E
E
You might find this part of a review from Sound on Sound helpful:
Casio have curiously chosen to make the second of the two foot-controller jacks(the first is for the sustain pedal) responsive only to momentary types, rather than continuous controllers. Assigned parameters, therefore, modulate between two user-definable values, with the ramp up/down time also being user-definable. I'm not sure everyone will find this particularly appealing, but Casio must have had their reasons for this decision. However, you do adapt to it eventually — it's all in the timing.

M
M
Originally Posted by barmassimo
Update: from further research, it results that the Px5's two pedal inputs are on-off switches (a very "strange" decision: even older and cheaper keyboards have an expression input).

It's a pity, for a nearly perfect piano, synth and controller.
I'll probably wait for the px5s successor :-)

Massimo

Correct, with PX5s you can have an Expression control only using the sliders (that "envelope" foot pedal is not really an alternative), unless you want to buy something external to add it such as the Midisolutions PedalControl (or build it yourself using Arduino or Doepfer Midi boards)

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Right, the PX5S doesn't have a continuous controller input. But if you need it only for Pianoteq (or other VST instruments), you should be able to add the input you need with this:

http://www.midiexpression.com

There is also the aforementioned box from MIDI Solutions, which is more expensive and a little more complicated to set up, but it has the advantage of working, not just with VSTs, but also with the sounds that are built into the PX-5S (or with other MIDI modules you may be controlling from the PX-5S).

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission