2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2320532 08/27/14 08:28 AM
G
gbitw Offline OP
OP Offline
G
What is the quality, piano sound, action difference between the Kawai ES100 and MP7? Is the MP7 extremely better than the ES100 to justify the difference.

This is mostly for studio practice. My biggest concern with the ES100 is the built in speakers and lack of cable interfaces (USB, AMP, etc).

Have you tried them out yourself? What are your own impressions of the action and the sound? Myself, I've only tried an MP6 as no MP7 was available near me, but I was very impressed by both the sound and the action. I know that the MP7 is better than the MP6 and have reviewed its specs and am impressed. I know that you can't go wrong with it, especially if you ever decide to take it on the road with you.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
The ES100 is an entry-level DP, whereas the MP7 is designed for the gigging musician. I have not played either, but jy assumption is that the MP7 is in every way superior to the ES100.

These two are quite a bit dissimilar in price. It's probably best to eastablish the mqximum you are willing to pay, and look for pianos at that price point, that way you are comparing DPs with roughly the same target market and features.

If you are trying to stay below $1000, then you may want to try out the Casio px350 or px5s in addition to the Es100.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
gbitw, the ES100 is a good entry-level instrument, however the keyboard action, sound quality, user interface, and pretty much every aspect of the MP7 is far superior. The only downside is that it's 6kg heavier.

Originally Posted by gbitw
Is the MP7 extremely better than the ES100 to justify the difference.

That depends. If you're looking for a good quality, entry-level, no-thrills no-frills instrument on which to practise piano, the ES100 will be suitable for your needs. However, if you're able to invest in the MP7, I believe you will be glad you opted for the higher specification instrument.

I echo Pete's advice that you should definitely try to get some hands-on time with both models - this is really the only way of telling if an instrument will be right for you.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
My biggest concern with the ES100 is the built in speakers and lack of cable interfaces (USB, AMP, etc).

You don't have to use the speakers. Lack of USB is addressed with a cheap USB-to-MIDI adapter. You can use the headphone jack to go to an amp.

All that said, the MP7 is much more full-featured, especially if you have any interest whatsoever in any sounds other than acoustic piano. I have not directly compared the piano sound or action. Kawai clearly considers the MP7 better in these regards, but that can be subjective, and whether it is worth the $ difference is clearly something only you can decide. If nothing else, an x-hundred dollar difference is a lot more significant to someone who makes $75 a day than to someone who makes $75 an hour. Or to someone who makes $50 a gig vs. someone who makes $500 a gig. ;-)

M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James

That depends. If you're looking for a good quality, entry-level, no-thrills instrument ...

LOL..perhaps you meant no-frills. No-thrills instrument isn't quite a good selling feature. laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Lol...time for bed! wink

James
x

To the original poster, have you considered other keyboards, the Kawai ES7 is one that immediately comes to my mind, since it is one heck of a fine keyboard, and comparing this with the MP7 is a bit fairer I think.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
M
M
Speaking to only the ES 100 and as a student, it works very well for piano practice. The feel is fine and sound okay but I do prefer to use it through Pianoteq for a better sound. I have an acoustic but also want to keep a DP around. If it were two years down the road or my only piano, I would have looked further and probably would have spent more money.

Mike

103 year old Schmoller and Mueller
Slightly newer Kawai ES 100
G
gbitw Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Went and tried a MP6 and ES7 tonight. Seemed nice based on my limited experience. The key action is definitely lighter than something like the Yamaha P-255.

My biggest concern about the ES100 at this point is speaker quality and limited interfaces.

Does anyone have any experience with the ES7? It seems pretty expensive. Wondering what justifies the cost?

M
M
Went and tried a MP6 and ES7 tonight. Seemed nice based on my limited experience. The key action is definitely lighter than something like the Yamaha P-255.

My biggest concern about the ES100 at this point is speaker quality and limited interfaces.

If those are your only concern, there are workarounds as someone posted earlier: Purchase a MIDI to USB cable like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-USB-MIDI-Converter-Electronics/dp/B003KXEDVQ#

And use computer speakers or inexpensive powered monitors if you don't care for the speakers on the ES100.

As far as what justifies the cost, it is similar to your question about the MP7. The ES7 has better action, Ivory feel keys, better sound, better speakers, 3 pedals, more voices, more polyphony...just looking at the specs of each will tell you the reason for the cost difference.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
N
(first post here so apologies if this has been asked already...!)

I'm looking for a DP to play in a jazz trio, so I need something that sounds good in an exposed setting (I don't need any sophisticated features or non-piano sounds). I tried out the ES100 and really like its combination of good piano sound, simplicity and light weight (I prefer the ES100 to MP6/MP7 as it's lighter).

But... I'm concerned about the ES100 using the headphone outs as the main connections to external speakers or PA.

Can anyone confirm they've used this and it works OK? Is the audio signal clean enough to run through a PA? Is the signal good quality? Is the connector robust enough?

And does anyone know what the ES100 sounds like in mono connected to one external speaker? Does the sound collapse to mono OK or are there phasing issues? I couldn't find any reference in the manual or online specs...

Thanks

nickd100,

Originally Posted by nickd100
Can anyone confirm they've used this and it works OK? Is the audio signal clean enough to run through a PA? Is the signal good quality? Is the connector robust enough?

I believe the headphone output should be fine for connecting to a PA. There is also a setting to keep the onboard speaker output, providing a direct monitoring solution. As for the connector, again this should be fine, but if you're particular concerned about excessive wear and tear, you could perhaps leave a short male to female stereo chord plugged into the headphone socket, then plug the PA into this.

Originally Posted by nickd100
And does anyone know what the ES100 sounds like in mono connected to one external speaker? Does the sound collapse to mono OK or are there phasing issues? I couldn't find any reference in the manual or online specs...

I'm afraid I've never tried the ES100 connected in mono, however I believe the 'Modern Piano' and 'Rock Piano' are are arguably most suitable for playing in mono, due to the way those samples are created.

Kind regards,
James
x

N
N
Thanks James, that was quick!

OK sounds good... I don't think the 'rock piano' sound will work for my band, but I liked 'modern piano'.

nickd100, by all means, please do try the other acoustic piano sounds and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
James
x

N
N
James, I spent some time playing the ES100 at my local piano store this weekend, and I was definitely impressed - I've also recently tried out the Yamaha P105 and Privia 350, and the ES100 was my favourite in terms of sound and action.

G
G
Hi James, can I just use a mono jack to connect the ES100 up to a mono amp? Or does it have to be a stereo to 2 x mono jack connecting e.g. the left?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by goettel
Hi James, can I just use a mono jack to connect the ES100 up to a mono amp? Or does it have to be a stereo to 2 x mono jack connecting e.g. the left?

The ES100 has no Mono Out, so you should merge both channels on the Stereo Headphone Jack via a mixer (if the amp doesn't have one built-in).

Yamaha P-515
Originally Posted by jtsn
The ES100 has no Mono Out, so you should merge both channels on the Stereo Headphone Jack via a mixer (if the amp doesn't have one built-in).

Yes, that's correct.

G
G
Originally Posted by jtsn
Originally Posted by goettel

Thanks, I've been using it in mono and noticed that gives a phased sound, guess I'll hook up a little mixer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission