2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
51. MandyD - Beauty and the Beast: Congratulations on your AB forum recital debut! I love that pretty melody. You’re making good progress for the short amount of time you’ve been playing.

52. carlos88 - Preludes, Book 2: Dead Leaves: Such a sad piece with all the deep bass and somber chords. You do a great job of creating the mood with your playing.

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n. 4 Toccata: I wasn’t familiar with this composer, but I found this piece to be oddly captivating and hummable. Very enjoyable!

54. Ohio_Mark - Schumann_Op68_2_5: Well, these pieces sure sounded ready to record to me! Nicely played, and entertaining to listen to.

56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road: I like the strings you added. I’ve always thought this was one of the Beatles’ prettier songs. Thanks!

57. Greener / Jeff Green - Badinerie: I like your phrase “perpetual motion” to describe Bach’s work so much that I will shamelessly steal it. As always, I’m impressed by people like yourself who can play Bach because of the nonstop motion, multiple voices, and constant energy. Good job!

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche: One of my very most favorite Einaudi pieces to play. I love the impeccable precision with which you play this. I’m particularly impressed with how seamlessly you flow from the section with chords in the left hand to playing the ostinato (right around 46 seconds); I’m always struggling with trying to avoid an awkward transition there.

59. TX- Bluebonnet (Linda) - The Yellow Rose of Texas: Congratulations on your first AB forum recital submission! You did a great job with a piece that was pretty demanding for somebody with only two months’ experience at piano. Good job of keeping a regular tempo. smile

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3

I have to admit that my knowledge of the music of Sibelius is limited mainly to “Finlandia”, the “Karelia suite” and some of his symphonies. His piano music is almost unknown here in Norway. This Souvenir is a very nice composition, and I liked your interpretation a lot. I couldn’t hear that you had any problems with the big chords. Thanks for sharing!

22. WimPiano - Schumann - Op. 68 No. 3 - Trallerliedchen (Humming Song)

I appreciate the light mood of this piece, and you fully managed to express the character of it through your playing. It was very pleasant to listen to it.

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor

I haven’t played much of Handel’s piano music myself, and generally I find it pretty difficult. I’m really impressed by your fine and flowing performance of this Allegro. You make it sound so simple and natural. Very fine playing!

24. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Little Suite

Very lovely melody in the first movement! And great contrast between the movements. The finale was very joyful and pleasant to listen to. Thabks for sharing!

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera")

Much drama in this music! You clearly master this piece and play with excellent dynamics. It was very enjoyable to listen to your performance.

26. dpaws - Searchlight Rag

Elegant playing! Any your instrument really suited this music. I was not bothered by any glitches or minor mistakes. In generally your performance gave a very good impression.

27. Mohan Karthik - Gallop (Original)

You managed to create music with lots of character. And you also managed to play the piece very well. Thanks for sharing.

28. RedKat - Manha de Carnaval

This is a melody I remember form my childhood, but never knew who composed it or what was the title. I really liked your sensitive and emotional interpretation of it. You have captured the “latin” character of the piece.

29. Allard - Dream of the Forgotten Child

Very sad and emotional music! I’m glad you decided to participate this time. The balance between the melody and the other voices is very god, and particularly I liked the “duetto” parts.

30. Mar_red - Polish Roads / Dreamy Lullaby - Medley

Very nice melodies, both of them! And you did a lot of fun stuff with your own arrangement of the second one. It was all very enjoyable to listen to.

31. (Was)TrueBeginner - Tender Memories

Thanks for sharing this beautiful melody. Your melody sometimes makes some unexpected turns which I think is very good. Fine performance!

32. Richard (zrtf90) - Warum?

Great performance! You succeed in “singing” the individual voices and play with flexibility and excellent dynamics. I enjoyed listening very much.

33. Andy Platt - Sonata in D Minor, K.213

Fine baroque playing! You did a great job overcoming the difficulties of this sonata. It was very nice to listen to it.

35. wjf - Blue Bossa

Really elegant and swinging music! Wish I could do this myself. Interesting and exiting chords. Great playing!

36. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 8 'Pathetique' in C minor, mvmt 3

You always make great performances during these recitals, and this performance of the movement from the Pathetique is no exception. If this is not professional level it is definitely close to it. It was a real joy listening to your playing.

37. SwissMS/Doris - Samba Lele

What a charming piece! You are capable of expressing the folkloristic character of the composition and play really beautifully. I enjoyed your performance very much.

38. Sand Tiger - Pixie Dust

Nice to hear this composition! Lots of creativity and enthusiasm behind this performance. Thanks for sharing!

39. Copper - Morning

This is a piano version of “Morning mood” from Grieg’s “Peer Gynt suite”. I’m grown up with the orchestral version, but I also find the piano edition very appealing. You did a nice job with this piece. I enjoyed listening to it.

40. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Addio, fiorito asil

This is music with great passion as would be expected from Puccini. Lots of large chords and it is impressive that you were able to sight-read all this. God job!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I've been away so I'm just getting around to listening. Wonderful so far!!

01. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - To Zanarkand 7 months playing - are you kidding me?! OK, reverb makes things a little easier but even so, this is a remarkably well performed piece, delightfully paced and nicely phrased. If you had told me seven years I would have believed you ...

02. earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20 This was my backup piece for this month's recital. You might hear it since I have it in the can! Nicely done, try to connect the chords in the forte section - as my teacher would say they are "vertical." There is a lovely change of dynamics as the piece progresses

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World Just a wonderful piece, full of delightful harmonic shifts, very well played. I loved the mood changes you conveyed and the overall shape you brought to it.

04. ladypayne - How Deep the Father's Love for Us A lovely tender performance; the melody is preserved nicely but with a wonderful arrangement that really helps it blossom. Great!

05. AZ_Astro - Troubador Lovely, simple but effective. Very nicely phrased with great "presence" in the melody; tender, beautiful.

06. sinophilia (Diana) - Minuet from Serenade no. 1 Op. 183 I remember seeing this piece in Pianist and thinking it looked wonderful and you show it off very nicely. Perhaps try to make the repeated chords vary a little more? Lovely flowing melody, nicely shaped and you keep the piece going well. Glad you tackled this - it was well worth the effort!

07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose Nicely played/improvised. Love the little rhythmic "hops"; great runs, nicely flowing and energetic in a calm mood!

08. CarlosCC - Discovery at Night You keep the feel of Einaudi while giving it your own flavor very well. Wonderfully played, with a great shape to each phrase.

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) Something tells me you already know I have played these before - remarkably at almost the exact same duration! The violin versions you mention are great, I wrote on my score "melody like violin!!" Yes, I couldn't manage that either. Stick Dance: A teeny bit tentative but I loved the feel of it. Nicely phrased and since it's the same tempo as I played, I would say excellent for that! Sash Dance: I felt the melody could have been shaped more; nice change in the repeat. In One Spot: Fantastic mood; you play the ornaments differently than I did. I think I prefer yours. Best of the six! Dance from Bucsum: Again a lovely mood from the beginning, great pulse, wonderfully phrased melody. Romanian Polka: Nicely controlled, good dynamics, this is about as fast as I could go but I know this (and the next piece) are the ones that work best when going like rockets! Fast Dance - really the same comments as the last one. Overall, a wonderful performance. Loved hearing it all again!

10. George Schiro - Dissonance A wonderful improvisation, with a great pulse and "center" to the piece and delightful runs and melodic turns around that. Great!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

41. Tom Christian - Minuet in G, BWV Anhang 116

So nice to hear this music played on a real harpsichord. I assume that the touch of your instrument is similar to harpsichords I have tried, in other words pretty heavy and a bit stiff compared to a modern piano. You don’t seem to have any problems with this but manage to play fluently and with fine phrasing. Fine performance!

42. MaryBee - Magnetic Rag

Very flowing and elegant performance of this rag! I think that upright acoustic pianos are very well suited for this kind of music. You have managed to give the piece the right character. It seems pretty challenging technically, but you overcome the technical difficulties beautifully. I enjoyed listening.

43. AndrewJCW - Scarborough Almonds

Very good playing after just 3 months of study! It was really enjoyable to listen to you, and I was almost disappointed that it was so short.

44. LadyAugustina - Bratja/Brothers

Seems to be an Eastern European folk tune! “Bratja” is close to the Russian word for “Brothers” written in Latin letters. I enjoyed listening to this sad but beautiful tune. Thanks for sharing!

45. paul1971 - The Entertainer

With just 9 months self-study you are playing pretty advanced stuff. I think you played more relaxed after the first minute or so, and in fact I think you played the most difficult parts best of all.

46. BrianDX - Parasailing

You play with fine flow and make your instrument sound very nice. It is impressive that you are able to do this after such short time of study.

47. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31, No. 2, 3rd mvmt

This is a very beautiful sonata movement, but also pretty tough to play. You seem to have good control of the fast and long leaps in the left hand and you play with excellent dynamics. I was not annoyed by any mistakes. Of course, this is a piece that you will continue studying and perhaps never getting finished with since it’s so rich musically. It was very enjoyable to listen to you.

48. jamie_vt - Allegretto from Symphony No 7

First time I heard a piano version of any of Beethoven’s symphonies. I noticed your focus on the middle voices and also your dynamics. Thanks for sharing!

49. EnGee - Overture - The Marriage of Figaro

Very impressive job after just two months of practice! You played fluently and with great dynamic contrast. I look forward to future contributions from you.

50. jotur/Cathy Turner - I'ts Been A Long, Long Time

Beautiful melody! You seem to be confident enough to play this music with the necessary freedom do some experimenting. It was nice to listen to.

51. MandyD - Beauty and the Beast

Great job after 3 months of study! You have a great potential for further progress. Thanks for sharing this!

52. carlos88 - Preludes, Book 2: Dead Leaves

“Les feuilles mortes” – a very beautiful Debussy prelude. Harmonically this is is very difficult music and it also contains quite a few technical challenges. You play the piece very well. I enjoyed listening very much.

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n. 4 Toccata

The music of Kabalevskij is so full of humor, and you fully manage to express this. It was very enjoyable and fun listening to you.

54. Ohio_Mark - Schumann_Op68_2_5

You played the first piece with great agility, and the second one contrasted beautifully with the soft flowing melody. Very beautiful music and well performed!

55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon

You play with confidence and it is easy to hear that you have put a lot of effort into the study of this music. Therefore the result is very good. I enjoyed the fine melodic lines and the whole character of the piece. Thanks for sharing!

56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road

Very nice and relaxing music to listen to! I enjoyed your performance very much.

57. Greener / Jeff Green - Badinerie

Transcriptions of orchestral music to the piano are generally a nightmare to play, and I can hear that this one is no exception. You are progressing in your work with the piece, and I enjoyed listening to it.

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche

Well, “Nuvole Bianche” means “White clouds”. You play the piece very well. I couldn’t hear that it was something you switched to the last minute. Thanks for sharing!

59. TX- Bluebonnet (Linda) - The Yellow Rose of Texas

Pretty difficult music for a player with just two months experience! But you handle it very well. It was very nice listening to it.

T
T
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

41. Tom Christian - Minuet in G, BWV Anhang 116

So nice to hear this music played on a real harpsichord. I assume that the touch of your instrument is similar to harpsichords I have tried, in other words pretty heavy and a bit stiff compared to a modern piano. You don’t seem to have any problems with this but manage to play fluently and with fine phrasing. Fine performance!

I suspect that you have never had the opportunity to play a well-voiced harpsichord. Frank Hubbard notes that most amateurs tend to voice too loud, which may account for your experience. In fact, a harpsichord has a lighter touch than a piano. Also, its action is able to repeat much more quickly. These attributes combine to make ornamentation like trills much easier to play.

It's also the case that a plucked string produces a sound of crystalline purity, still unmatched by even the finest pianos of today (I say that with full knowledge that I may get some push-back on that smile ). However, every other advantage goes in the direction of the piano, hence its rapid adoption and the rapid decline of the harpsichord. As I'm sure you know, there has been a resurgence of interest in renaissance and baroque instruments, which is good because they still have a role to play in today's (and especially yesterday's) music.

Regarding playing a harpsichord, you can look forward to a delightful experience once you find that well-voiced instrument.

Tom Christian
Yamaha C1
Roland RD-700nx
Hubbard (1769 Taskin) harpsichord
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I just want to say that I read the comments on everyone's pieces and I really appreciate all those folks who comment at all. Thanks to those who are still keeping this recital buzz interesting!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Batch #2:

11. ajames - Old French Melody A charming miniature, very nicely played. I really enjoyed the care and attention to phrasing, and the different touches (staccato, etc.). Wonderful balance between the hands.

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation) Very nicely played. It sounds like the arpeggios and melody are not completely in sync but I wasn't sure if that was as written or something else? Wonderful runs, a great fluidity and nice shading of dynamics.

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 You make a very good case for playing it without pedal (though I still like the Romanticize it to heck approach!!) Nice phrasing, there is some dynamic contrast but there is room for a little more in spots. Lovely.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow I play another Dan Coates arrangement of this - this one is much fuller (and probably much harder!) It's played really nicely though where the melody is in the left hand, the right hand could be a little quieter but that's minor because overall it's beautifully shaped and controlled, with nice dynamic shading, a great movement to the piece. Loved it!

15. dynamobt/Marilyn - Prelude in d minor No 6 WTC Book I Wondeful balance of the hands, great control of the different touches and this piece zips along with that perpetual mobile so well. Great!

16. 8 Octaves - Sonatina in F Major, 1st Mvmt. The tempo sounds fine to me - better in control than not! I loved the gentle Alberti bass, keeping the melody very clear. You give a great shape to the overall structure of the piece, nice dynamics, can't wait for the second movement!

17. JimF - Its All in the Game Very nicely placed, clear melody and unobtrusive accompaniment. You make it sound easier than it probably is. Very nice.

18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair Hmm, I would never think Debussy would be "easy enough" but you make it sound that way. You do a great job of keeping the piece moving but retaining the "time standing still" quality it needs. Lovely dynamics and great phrasing of the melody.

19. noobpianist90 - Mazurka in A minor Op. 67 No. 4 The mazurkas of Chopin always seem to be the hardest thing to pull off "naturally" but you really make it sound great. Nice rhythm and great shaping of the melody. Great!

20. barbaram - Bach Invention No. 8 This is one of the inventions I want to tackle one day; you make it sound pretty easy but I know it is not. I really loved the balance between the hands in this. My teacher would say you should bring out one melody over the other at all time but I really liked the way the hands intertwine in this performance.

Kawai K3

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm truly going through the recital much more slowly than I ever have, --- but you know, in a way I think that's a good thing - I feel like I'm savouring the individual performances more this way.

Thanks to all the performers who helped me wind down after a long day!

31. (Was)TrueBeginner - Tender Memories My condolences on your loss (Was)TrueBeginner. This piece is indeed a tender melody that is filled with a sense of what you have been through and how you are coming to terms with it. Beautiful music indeed.

32. Richard (zrtf90) - Warum? I had to look up Warum smile "Why?" One wonders ...why what? It sounds like an internal debate or a monologue with "on the one hand"...and then "on the other" - I am not familiar with the piece but what I was able to notice is how you had each hand bringing out both very dramatic and very delicate voicing of their parts, beautifully balanced. I can see that this piece is one you'd very much want to keep in your repertoire. I loved listening to it.

33. Andy Platt - Sonata in D Minor, K.213 Scarlatti wrote so much, perhaps it isn't surprising if I say I don't recall hearing this piece before. I very much enjoyed this piece - it made me think of ballerinas delicately tip-toeing across the stage, whirling like autumn leaves - a very evocative piece and a pleasure to hear. Excellent control of your dynamics. Bravo Andy!

34. Ganddalf - Bruremarsj etter Myllarguten (Op.72 no 8) Gandalf, thanks for the background notes - they always add to my enjoyment of a piece! I really liked the "flowery, spring time" feeling of the higher melody....the little grace notes made me think of birds fluttering and perhaps even rice being thrown at the newly weds....and then those heavier bass tones you mentioned do add a little touch of dark cloud on the day - but fortunately not too much. Most enjoyable! Thank you!

35. wjf - Blue Bossa My toes started tapping right from the start - very nice indeed! I didn't hear any sounds of it being shaky - it sounded pretty solid to me. You've got a nice touch for this genre for sure!

36. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 8 'Pathetique' in C minor, mvmt 3 It is easy to tell you know this piece very well - and it was wonderful to watch the video and see your hands in action. Fabulous control over all the aspects of this piece -and what a finale! It was a real delight! Thank you indeed!

37. SwissMS/Doris - Samba Lele Doris, this was simply charming! I couldn't stop smiling. If you play this well during your next exams, you're sure to do very well in your results. I really enjoyed hearing you play this "bouncier" piece, -- I love the more "contemplative" pieces you often play too, don't get me wrong, but this was good fun! Complimenti!

38. Sand Tiger - Pixie Dust Congrats on another original composition Sand Tiger. There's a slightly medieval voice to this piece - it sounds like your pixies were dancing in once circle and the trolls were over at the next fire stomping as gracefully as they could. Fun contrasts!

39. Copper - Morning A long-time favourite! Lovely delicacy, very evocative indeed. I know it is a tribute to dawn - but it is very soothing and I do believe it will be my lullaby for today. Thanks for this little oasis of tranquility.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Andy. Grateful you noticed the Alberti bass. My teacher made me go through a series of tough exercises for them. I guess they did deliver some results if it's noticeable. That actually tells me I shouldn't be so lazy and work on those exercises more. eek

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
Thanks Andy. Grateful you noticed the Alberti bass. My teacher made me go through a series of tough exercises for them. I guess they did deliver some results if it's noticeable. That actually tells me I shouldn't be so lazy and work on those exercises more. eek

I'm not making this up: Tonight's new lesson to be learned was: Alberti Bass. From this discussion I'd better learn it real well...

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Dammit, wish I'd never said it was easy. . .easy to get yer fingers round, maybe. Not easy to play. Listen to Lang Lang on YT. . .I'd rather watch paint dry. . .his face is a picture!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
48. jamie_vt - Allegretto from Symphony No 7 I'm always very interested in hearing what adult "re-beginners" who did some work as children are able to do. Nine years was enough to lay some serious ground work if this is what you can do after a couple of months. Nicely performed in deed.

49. EnGee - Overture - The Marriage of Figaro Another new-comer to the recitals! Welcome! What a very cheery piece - nicely done! Good work on your dynamics.

50. jotur/Cathy Turner - I'ts Been A Long, Long Time Cathy, I really like that you gave us a recap on your history all in one place. I've read bits and pieces over time, but now I feel I have the full picture. I hear a new level of confidence and fluidity in this performance - your new approach seems to be working for you. This sounds like you are relaxed and really enjoying yourself. I felt like grabbing my hubby and getting him to dance with me while you played. Complimenti cara mia!

51. MandyD - Beauty and the Beast And again, a new performer in our recital! Welcome MandyD. There's no point in fretting about a "perfect" take - what you want is something that is pretty representative of what you're able to do now. I think that for such a short time at the piano under your belt you've really done a lovely job on this performance. Good for you! (note: I had turn my volume way up to hear you - maybe before the next recital you can play around with your settings. )

52. carlos88 - Preludes, Book 2: Dead Leaves I had not realized you had a goal for playing all the Debussy Preludes - that makes your comments on the level of difficulty even more interesting! I like the fact that you find it easier to anticipate chord clusters. I haven't tried working with 3 staves, so an extra bravo for you on that accomplishment! The title is a bit dismal, isn't it? The drama in the piece is quite lovely though, and there really is a feeling of atmosphere, the darker skies of autumn as summer fades. I can see that this had to have taken a lot of focus to pull this together. It is really quite something! My compliments to you sir!

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n. 4 Toccata What a bright and energetic performance. You really did a super job on this performance. Your dynamics are ...dynamite! I just loved listening to you perform! (A video would have been an extra treat!) --- Bravissima! Complimenti!

54. Ohio_Mark - Schumann_Op68_2_5 It was great fun to hear this performance. I have these pieces in one of my books but have never tried them. Your performance has prompted me to go and give them a shot. They were delightfully energetic and charming, respectively! Very enjoyable listening!

55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon What - not Einaudi? Just kidding - I see this is very much the genre you're so fond of and play so well. As much as I enjoyed your performance, I found the music a bit sad - it feels like the "dark afternoon" of the title is not just referring to the weather but to some recent event of sadness and loss. Beautifully played.

56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road I think you're right - we all have a road behind us - some longer than others smile . You play this with great feeling - I can tell your heart was in it.

57. Greener / Jeff Green - Badinerie I didn't recognize the title of this piece, but as the music started I realized I have heard it before! I can easily understand that this is a complicated piece and requires a lot of attention. I think you're just about there - a few kinks to iron out but overall it hangs together very decently -- I would be thrilled to hear it again in a future edition!

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche I don't know if anyone has told you yet or not, but the title means "White Clouds". So your idea of "flying" does fit in smile You've got a firm handle on how to bring out the best of Einaudi and make it flow. This piece starts off feeling quite sombre but lightens up beautifully as it progresses. Beautiful performance!

59. TX- Bluebonnet (Linda) - The Yellow Rose of Texas How lovely to wrap up this recital with another new pianist! Thanks so much for the links to the history behind this song. I had no idea! You've really got lovely control of your dynamics and rhythm for having played such a very short time - Good for you! I am looking forward to hearing what you play in the November recital!

Thanks to all the performers for the hours of enjoyment I've had listening to this incredible range of genres and abilities. Each recital I am filled with amazement for how our community comes together to share our hard work and the joy of playing.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

D
D
Thanks, JimF, SwissMS, jotur, TX-Bluebonnet, barbaram, peterws, Monica K., dynamobt, piano_primo_1, Saranoya, CarlosCC, casinitaly, and Ganddalf! Thank you for all the encouraging comments.

I'm still listening to all the pieces and enjoying each and every one. But, I'm just slow at it.

Many of you wrote:
Don’t point out your mistakes.

You're right, I shouldn't do this. Next time it is what it is and I won't point them out. I'm new at this and still learning. smile

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
this is your 2nd Joplin piece, right?

Yes. I did "Something Doing" in the Joplin Recital. I don't know why, but I find learning and playing ragtime is a lot of fun!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]XXXV, XXXVII
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Third batch:

21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3 ScriabinSibelius is one of those composers that I really want to tackle. This is a beautiful performance, the chords sound pretty good to me and there is nice synchronization of everything. I love some of the interplay between the hands - very well done. The overall mood, phrasing, dynamics were great. Loved it!

22. WimPiano - Schumann - Op. 68 No. 3 - Trallerliedchen (Humming Song) Attempting (and failing) to learn this piece a few years ago was one of the reasons I finally took lessons! You make it sound very nice. Is the pedal supposed to be held down so long though? I sounds a little muddy in parts? But you kept the left hand going very well and the melody was lovingly phrased.

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor I like a bit of Handel too, especially when it is played this well! Great job keeping the melodies in both hands distinct but present. Lovely dynamics, fabulous tempo and overall feel. Very nice.

24. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Little Suite I've played these through a few times but it's nice to hear them played by someone who has learnt them! The opening movement is so tender, beautifully phrased. The second movement is so bouncy, lovely rhythm. And the third seems to capture both elements in one, very nice ending!

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera") very nice, capturing the operatic mood of this piece. I would probably have gone with the quicker tempo from the beginning. I must admit, I'm not a fan of your compression of the five measures into three though, it didn't quite work. I really liked your coda; nice job.

26. dpaws - Searchlight Rag Very nice rag, you keep good control of this. The piano actually suits the piece I think! Nice contrast in the sections, perhaps a little more variety in dynamics. The overall shape of the piece was good, liked it!

27. Mohan Karthik - Gallop (Original) Great original piece, full of life, and just propels forward. Almost hypnotic! OK, it's your piece so you can do what you want but I think the pedal needs to be lifted a little at times. But apart from that it was excellent!

28. RedKat - Manha de Carnaval A lovely piece, has something of a filmic quality. You play it really nicely, bringing out the yearning melody very well, keeping the tricky bass rhythms in check.

29. Allard - Dream of the Forgotten Child Yes, a really dreamy piece; you control it very nicely. The melody is nicely phrased, and you bring a good overall shape to the piece which isn't easy in a piece like this. Great!

30. Mar_red - Polish Roads / Dreamy Lullaby - Medley The first tune is beautiful, and wonderfully played. I'm not surprised it's from TV - it has that feeling and I found myself whistling along after a while. You shape it nicely with great control. The lullaby was also played very tenderly but it didn't move me as much as the first piece; it was nicely played though.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 09/05/14 08:20 AM. Reason: Brain thinking of wrong composer!

Kawai K3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just want to send out a big thank you to all that commented on my piece (and especially those that took the time to listen to both interpretations and give an opinion on which they like more.) . I've been straight out with work and on the road so have not had much time to get on the forum but, as always, it is just awesome to be able to play to an audience of peers and get such positive feedback.

Thank you!

-P

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Third batch:

21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3 Scriabin is one of those composers that I really want to tackle. This is a beautiful performance, the chords sound pretty good to me and there is nice synchronization of everything. I love some of the interplay between the hands - very well done. The overall mood, phrasing, dynamics were great. Loved it!

Thank you so much! blush

But are you sure you were not listening to someone else grin
It was not Scriabin, although I definitely want to play him also sooner or later, when I feel brave enough...

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by outo
Third batch:

21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3 Scriabin is one of those composers that I really want to tackle. This is a beautiful performance, the chords sound pretty good to me and there is nice synchronization of everything. I love some of the interplay between the hands - very well done. The overall mood, phrasing, dynamics were great. Loved it!

Thank you so much! blush

But are you sure you were not listening to someone else grin
It was not Scriabin, although I definitely want to play him also sooner or later, when I feel brave enough...

Jeesh, another indication that I really am losing it!! Yes, I was listening to you, yes I was thinking of Sibelius and yes, I wrote Scriabin! I've corrected the post now!

Kawai K3
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) - Fine.

OK

Originally Posted by noobpianist90
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68)
Bartok's music is so dissonant and different. It's so captivating. I find it very hard to "get" the music, and the more I try to feel it, the further I'm drawn into it .
Well played! Kept me hypnotized from beginning till end. I struggle to keep up with the score with professional recordings. Your's is much nicer that way. I can hear all the notes. This recording will be really useful when I learn these dances.
That being said, I really do enjoy Schiff's recording of the Romanian Folk dances though. Please listen to it if you haven't already.

The rhythm in the first piece sounds really hard to keep track of. The second piece, I would have prehaps played the stacatto parts a bit differently, but I guess thats an interpretive decision. Third piece, well done with the accents. The ending leaves me somewhat unsatisfied, unresolved. Really nice playing! The fourth piece. Triplets sound very well balanced and in rhythm. I would have perhaps enjoyed a bit more dynamic variation.The fifth piece seems quite challenging to play. The tempo and change in time signatures... The sixth is my favourite of the dances. I would have liked it a bit louder and more lively. And the Piu allegro part played a bit faster.
I think you'll enjoy speeding up and polishing these pieces. I'm quite envious

Thanks for your extensive feedback!
Wonder why so many people here have trouble getting into this music. For me it's quite clear.
Nice to hear that my slower tempo did not do too much damage.

I prefer the violin version still, also after heard Schiff's take at it. Schiff's is using too much rubato IMHO. 2nd and 3rd piece too fast.

What would you have changed to the staccato notes? Lighter maybe?

>The ending leaves me somewhat unsatisfied, unresolved.

Did I play it too unresolved or is it just how the music is ?

4th piece, indeed on the speakers the p and mf sound pretty similar. I did not notice that.

5th and 6th are pretty hard. As said my brain does not deliver quick enough to get more speed... Sorry for that.

Regarding the loudness, I'm at the top volume here. You can even hear the mics clipping at the very end and I do set up very conservatively so I'm already 12dB above normal maximum... So I don't think there is room for more here, at least not now.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68)

Studying these pieces up to the level you did, requires a lot of effort. I know that some of them are quite intricate technically, and they also require great musicality. I enjoyed your performance very much, and I don’t think you should worry about the tempo. It sounded fine to me.

Thanks Ganddalf!

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) Something tells me you already know I have played these before - remarkably at almost the exact same duration! The violin versions you mention are great, I wrote on my score "melody like violin!!" Yes, I couldn't manage that either. Stick Dance: A teeny bit tentative but I loved the feel of it. Nicely phrased and since it's the same tempo as I played, I would say excellent for that! Sash Dance: I felt the melody could have been shaped more; nice change in the repeat. In One Spot: Fantastic mood; you play the ornaments differently than I did. I think I prefer yours. Best of the six! Dance from Bucsum: Again a lovely mood from the beginning, great pulse, wonderfully phrased melody. Romanian Polka: Nicely controlled, good dynamics, this is about as fast as I could go but I know this (and the next piece) are the ones that work best when going like rockets! Fast Dance - really the same comments as the last one. Overall, a wonderful performance. Loved hearing it all again!

I'm very happy that you gave me your expert feedback on this. After all you played this last recital so you are really into this piece now.

Yes the stick dance was a bit older recording. Apparently I DID learn something between that and the newer pieces smile

Thanks for your comments!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
31. (Was)TrueBeginner - Tender Memories What a beautiful piece to remember your Dad by. As befits the title, played with great warmth and tenderness. Lovingly phrased and a wonderful steady accompaniment. Beautiful.

32. Richard (zrtf90) - Warum? Well I had to listen twice because the first time through I found I hadn't really thought to much, it just lapped over me. Anyway, second time through I could see why. It felt so natural, it has such great warmth. But you keep the melody very present, lovely tempo (probably good to re-record it then), wonderful dynamic range. Excellent.

33. Andy Platt - Sonata in D Minor, K.213 Listening to this in context, it seems very tentative and a little too quiet at the beginning. Interestingly I had a lesson from a substitute teacher who felt I played much too quietly. If you had my daughter you would too ... wink Also I realized during that lesson my appoggiaturas were too long but they sound fine unless you are looking at the score.

34. Ganddalf - Bruremarsj etter Myllarguten (Op.72 no 8) I suspect you have underplayed the difficulties with this piece! Anyway, it sounds fantastic, not much to say - everything is so warm, so controlled, great dynamics. Loved it.

35. wjf - Blue Bossa What a wonderful feel you produce, the melody soars while the rhythm makes me sway. The overall mood of this was great!

36. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 8 'Pathetique' in C minor, mvmt 3 Oh, you are just playing the easy movement then?! wink Wow, great performance - moves along so well, nicely phrased with good dynamics and great runs. Fantastic! No, better than that - I am blown away!

37. SwissMS/Doris - Samba Lele A nice change of pace for you, I guess that's what doing exam pieces does! Very nicely played, good rhythm - perhaps "sway" a bit more with it? You capture the melody very well and got my toe tapping. More please?!

38. Sand Tiger - Pixie Dust I'll be honest and say the title doesn't suit the piece too much, I could hear the dust in a couple of spots. Felt more like a rainstorm to me? But I enjoyed the music very much, you had great rhythm and a lovely melody - the pulse was great, kept it moving forward.

39. Copper - Morning Very simple, very nice.

40. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Addio, fiorito asil Very brave for playing a piece at sight for the recital. Yes, it was a little jumpy but not ever so. And I feel you really captured the essence of the piece, great dynamic range, lovely arpeggios. Excellent!

Kawai K3
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission