Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
135 registered members (achoo42, Andymania, AlphaBravoCharlie, ando, Adypiano, anotherscott, accordeur, Animisha, amad23, 29 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: PianoZac] #1753000
09/15/11 02:29 PM
Iowa
Matt Peckham Offline OP
Matt Peckham  Offline OP

Iowa
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Having owned the NP88 now for 8 months, played extensively the NS2, played the MP6, and just recently the NE3HP, but not the FP-7F, I would rate the MP6 with the best action and the Nords with the best overall sounds. I have played and briefly owned the RD-700NX (same exact action and main piano sound that's inside the FP-7F), and just played on it again at GC, and for piano feel, the RD-700NX and Kawai MP10 are kings in terms of the feel, and both sound very very good.

Couldn't agree with you more about the MP10, ZF. I'm still settling into my MP10, so clearly twitterpated...

Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
I have to say I was very impressed with the NE3HP. The action was killer for what it is, and offers so much more control for piano and EPs vs the waterfall action inside my NE3 61. The Long Release and other newer features not in my NE3 61, all the other benefits found in Nord's boards, and the ridiculously light weight of it considering it's still got hammer action make it a very attractive product for a gigging musician.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I just pulled the trigger on one--should be here Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Matt Peckham; 09/15/11 02:30 PM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Nord Electro 4 HP
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: Matt Peckham] #1753001
Wales
V
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member
voxpops  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

Wales
Originally Posted by Matt Peckham
Originally Posted by voxpops
Matt, I'll try to give you a brief rundown on my light(er)weight boards. And I'll preface it by saying that I agree wholeheartedly with anotherscott's analysis, above...

Anyway, hope this helps. I haven't tried a Casio PX-3 or a NE3HP, but both Casio's and Nord's APs irritated me after a while.

Incredibly helpful, thank you voxpops, especially for all the fine detail on those boards! I think I'm going to give the Electro 3 HP a try, and if my hands don't fall in love with the action (which I've now been told was modeled after the Mark VII's) then I may take a look at the Numa Piano.

Good luck with the HP! There's a lot to like about the NE even without the new action.

BTW, I think the action is the same in both the NE3HP and the Numa.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: Matt Peckham] #1753034
09/15/11 03:36 PM
09/15/11 03:36 PM
M
maurus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
maurus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Nord Electro 3HP user here. Congratulations on your order - when it comes, just don't bother too much about the noisy keys and their short throw, and consider what you get in exchange for that price you are paying: excellent sounds, a very intuitive interface, an open architecture, and surprisingly little weight. Surely excellent for gigs.

I agree to much of what has been said above, in particular relating to the keys; many heavier and some cheaper instruments have substantially better actions (including, as Dave said, the P155 which I also own). But when I remember some of the uprights I have been playing on with old and deregulated actions - and just today, by the way, a small Yamaha grand in a music school, in a shape rather far from perfect - I tell me: forget about the key quirks, learn to play with them, and enjoy this little wonder!

Last edited by maurus; 09/15/11 03:38 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: maurus] #1753069
09/15/11 04:38 PM
09/15/11 04:38 PM
Iowa
Matt Peckham Offline OP
Matt Peckham  Offline OP

Iowa
Originally Posted by maurus
Nord Electro 3HP user here. Congratulations on your order - when it comes, just don't bother too much about the noisy keys and their short throw, and consider what you get in exchange for that price you are paying: excellent sounds, a very intuitive interface, an open architecture, and surprisingly little weight. Surely excellent for gigs.

Thanks Maurus, I'm coming off an SV-1, which--with the RH3 action--is also a fairly noisy action board (with occasional key pops and clicks if you're really digging in or fast-slapping handfuls across the keys or whacking into them sidewise), so I'm not concerned. That, and real EP players have been dealing with noisy electro-mechanical key beds for decades, such that we now value those quirks in modeling, right? smile

Originally Posted by maurus
I agree to much of what has been said above, in particular relating to the keys; many heavier and some cheaper instruments have substantially better actions (including, as Dave said, the P155 which I also own). But when I remember some of the uprights I have been playing on with old and deregulated actions - and just today, by the way, a small Yamaha grand in a music school, in a shape rather far from perfect - I tell me: forget about the key quirks, learn to play with them, and enjoy this little wonder!

It's hard for me to fault Yamaha's P-series, my favorite action prior to the Kawai's RM3, but then you're judging within an entirely unique tier at 25 pounds. I'm not sure what the RM3's key bed weighs, discretely, but it's probably going to be physically impossible, whatever's dreamt up technologically, to have a truly AP-like key bed this far down in the 20 lbs range. Compromises are expected!

Oh right, almost forgot: cases. I'm told (by Sweetwater) that the Nord E3 case won't fit this thing. Does Nord make a case for it? If not, anything recommendable (and possibly backpack-able)?

Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Nord Electro 4 HP
Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: Matt Peckham] #1753084
09/15/11 05:07 PM
09/15/11 05:07 PM
M
maurus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
maurus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

I am waiting for the 'coming soon' product on this page... but so far no luck frown

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Electro_3&clne3m=Accessories

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: Matt Peckham] #2322992
09/02/14 07:18 AM
09/02/14 07:18 AM
Athens, Greece
K
keyboardologist Offline
keyboardologist  Offline
K

Athens, Greece
Hello,
I've found this old post... and I see in your signature that you now have Nord Electro 4 HP. I'm searching for a stage/home piano with a decent heavy AP-action for home studying and recording piano parts, so any information would be grateful!
I have the Korg SP250 which has the SV1's/Kronos' RH3 action and although I'm really delightful with the feel and the heavy action I would like to have a better/quicker response.

What I've had and what I've tested:

Had and Sold:
Numa Nano/Piano: Light, Noisy, Bulky Action with Bad Responses.
Kurzweil SP88x: Too Light Action but good Response.

Used/Tested in Studios/Lives/Friends/Demos:
Kawai MP6: Best Action, Good Response.
Casio PX350/PX5S: Light/Noisy Action, Excellent Response with triple sensor.
Yamaha CP40: Medium Action, Good Response.
Yamaha P105: Medium Action, Good Response.
Yamaha S80 (old model): Heavy/Good Action, Medium Response.
Kurzweil SP4-8: Light Action, Medium Response.
Kurzweil SP5-8: Medium Action, Good Response.
Studiologic VMK-188 Plus: Medium Action, Medium Response.
Roland RD300SX: Bulky Action, Medium Response.
Roland RD700SX: Good Action, Good Response.
Nord Electro 3 HP: Bulky/Noisy Action, Medium Response.
Korg SP280: Bulky/Noisy Action, Bad Response.

The only action I think would be an upgrade from the above tested is the Kawai MP6.

Should I try the Nord Piano 2, Electro 4 HP, Kawai MP7 etc. or should I stay with my Korg SP250 for some more years for a new generation/improvement to come?
I need at least medium quality piano sounds like Korg, Kawai or Kurzweil and heavy weighted chassis/instruments are not a problem for home use, although any lightweight instrument is a plus.

Thank you in advance!

My Gear: Young Chang E121, Kawai ES110, Yamaha MX61, Yamaha MX49, Yamaha Reface DX, Roland XP30, Kurzweil PC2R, Roland SonicCell, Roland A33, RME Fireface UC, Tascam VL-X5.
Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: Matt Peckham] #2323019
09/02/14 08:13 AM
09/02/14 08:13 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
I disagree with you, keyboardologist, that the action of the Casio PX-350/PX-5S, is light. However I do agree that it's noisy. I have a PX-5S and I wouldn't want the keys to be heavier, though I'd prefer they were less noisy.

Then you say the Yamaha P105 is medium action. Almost everyone on these forums, as far as I can remember, have said the action of the Y-P105 is much lighter than that of the aforementioned Casios.

I'm also speaking from experience on this, because I had a Yamaha P85, which I believe has a similar or the same action as it's descendant, the P105.

The action of my PX-5S is miles ahead of the Yamaha P85, and thereby probably the P105. However, it can be argued that the main piano sound is better in the Yamaha P85/P95/P105 line.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Bl├╝thner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: keyboardologist] #2323031
09/02/14 08:36 AM
09/02/14 08:36 AM
A
anotherscott Online content
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by keyboardologist
I have the Korg SP250 which has the SV1's/Kronos' RH3 action and although I'm really delightful with the feel and the heavy action I would like to have a better/quicker response.

Heavier feeling actions tend to have slower feeling responses, but we also might be hitting an issue of people using terms differently, or being more sensitive to different aspects of the physical sensations. Because also, you describe the Casio PX350/PX5S as having a light action, and I think it's medium, heavier feeling than the Yamaha P105 that you list as Medium. Whether these are different subjective impressions, or we're keying in on different aspects of the feel, or maybe even a mater of unit to unit variation, I don't know.

In your list, you describe actions as light, medium, heavy, and bulky, but I'm not sure how you're using bulky. Is that heavier than heavy?

The Numa Nano/Piano and Kurzweil SP4-8 (all ones you categorizes as Light) use the Fatar TP100 action, as does the Electro 3HP (which you call bulky instead, implying it feels different from the others), but if they don't all feel the same, it is possible that Nord could somehow adjust theirs a little differently, or there could be unit to unit variation at play. You also say these Numas have bad response whereas these Kurz and Nord models have medium response, so in that case it could also be that Nord and Kurz are better than Numa at programming the "connection" between the feel of the action and the dynamics of the sound. But the basic feel of these boards should be the same or quite similar, at least in theory.

Should I try the Nord Piano 2, Electro 4 HP, Kawai MP7 etc.

AFAIK, the Electro 4HP should feel identical to the 3HP, so there's probably no reason to bother with that. Both use the Fatar TP100, and I would assume that any software calibration or any kind of hardware adjustment Nord may do with that action would be the same for both models. OTOH, it is probably worth checking out the newer Kawais... MP7 and ES7 (which I think use the same action as each other) and MP11, which are different from the MP6. The action used in their MP10 and VPC also has its fans... it's heavy, I don't know that anyone would call it quick, but again, people have different impressions of things or may key into different aspects of a board's feel. Similarly, the Nord Piano 2 is a light action, probably not what you want, but with feel so subjective (and in this case, also with my not agreeing with your categorization of some boards), I would say that it's different enough from anything else you've played that it's worth getting your fingers on and checking it for yourself, you never know what action might just click for you, for whatever reason (though the Nord isn't a favorite around here). I'd also suggest you should definitely check out a Yamaha CP4, and maybe a Kurzweil Forte, though that is a lighter one. Also, if you come across the recently discontinued Yamaha CP1 or CP5, that action had a lot of fans.

Re: Nord Piano, Electro 3 HP, Kawai MP6, FP-7F? [Re: keyboardologist] #2323033
09/02/14 08:39 AM
09/02/14 08:39 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Should I try the Electro 4 HP...

I'm pretty sure the action is the same as the NE3HP.

...Kawai MP7

Yes, definitely - the quality and realism of the MP6 action, with improved response from the 3rd sensor.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question for sight readers
by hag01. 10/15/19 10:36 AM
Help me choose my next DP
by idfpiano. 10/15/19 10:15 AM
Disappointed with Roland piano
by Mils. 10/15/19 10:10 AM
Help for University course
by Bln99. 10/15/19 08:31 AM
raise up tuning in 20 minutes?
by Andymania. 10/15/19 07:53 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,532
Posts2,879,309
Members94,678
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission