2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
X
xorbe Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
I have a measure where the natural accidental cancels a sharp in the key for the whole measure. Business as usual.

Then, there is another measure where the natural accidental is shown on two of the same note, canceling the sharp each time apparently, and then the remaining two notes are actually sharp. I find this odd.

So, what if the music wants to cancel the first sharp, and not the rest?

I can't seem to find rules this detailed. Was there supposed to be a parenthesized courtesy sharp (#) accidental post natural?

I've already read the wiki page listed below, plus many others!

Last edited by xorbe; 08/28/14 11:52 AM.
My understanding is that the accidental will begin where it is first written and continue throughout that bar or until another accidental cancels it. Accidentals don't affect the same note in a different octave. The same note on different octaves would need their own accidental. Once you hit a new bar all the accidentals are gone and you are back to the normal key signature notes.

Sometimes the editor will put unnecessary accidentals, often at the start of the next bar, to remind the player that things are back to normal. I don't seem to recall seeing them in parentheses though, but I am sure I have and just can't remember.

Key signature changes however carry on until the key signature changes again

Wiki - Accidentals

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Can you post pictures of the two measures in question? And some measures around them, too, would be helpful for context.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by xorbe
I have a measure where the natural accidental cancels a sharp in the key for the whole measure. Business as usual.

Then, there is another measure where the natural accidental is shown on two of the same note, canceling the sharp each time apparently, and then the remaining two notes are actually sharp. I find this odd.

So, what if the music wants to cancel the first sharp, and not the rest?
I find it odd, too. If they wanted to re-sharp a note, they need only do the first of the two that was supposed to be sharped.

I can't seem to find rules this detailed. Was there supposed to be a parenthesized courtesy sharp (#) accidental post natural?

Cautionary accidentals occur after the bar line when a previous measure has an accidental, and the next measure goes back to the key signature automatically and they are providing the accidental just as a reminder.

Since an accidental stays accidental throughout the entire measure after it occurs, it would not revert back to the key signature (sharp) in your example unless the sharp were actually given again.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
An accidental in a measure holds until end of measure (unless the note is slurred over to next mwasure). Or until the next accidental.

I'm not sure what if the next accidental is a natural sign, the key's accidental is one sharp and the accidental was a double sharp. I guess most composers would put extra stuff there to make sure what's intended then.

If the accidental is superfluous, it MAY be in brackets eg (#). But I think the brackets are optional.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here is an interesting article from Henle on the subject:

http://www.henle.de/blog/en/2012/09...onary-accidentals-or-are-extras-o-k-too/

Other systems of accidental notation are in professional use by some composers, these are far from mainstream but they are out there.

What composition and measures are you referring to xorbe? I am interested to have a look.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Those Henle guys...it sounds like they but some thought into their work!

Learner
255 Offline
I agree with PianoStudent88, you should post the score.
There are indeed two possibilities; one, as MALDI_ToF guessed, is that those "same notes" are actually on different octaves. So e.g. the first natural applies to Do3, the other one applies to Do4, and then when you encounter Do3 and/or Do4 again in that measure you simply keep playing them naturals, since this is the rule; if the score wouldn't have put the natural on Do4, that Do4 would have had to be played sharped, because an accidental only applies to the note on that particular octave.
If, instead (second possibility), the notes are in fact in the same octave, then the second natural is a courtesy accidental; in fact they are sometimes used even without the parenthesis, to avoid high markings density in the measure.

Originally Posted by xorbe
Was there supposed to be a parenthesized courtesy sharp (#) accidental post natural?

No. I agree with Morodiene's answer on this.
Those notes remains naturals for the entire measure. So if there could be courtesy accidentals on those notes they would be naturals between parentesis, to remind you that those notes should be played natural.

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
The rules of accidentals are rather simple.

First the piano is made up of semitones, 88 of them, most of the time. The F to F# is one semitone. The G to G# is one semitone. The E to F is one semitone and so is the B to C, one semitone.

A sharp raises a note by one semitone
A flat lowers a note by one semitone
A natural cancels a sharp or a flat

Not all sharps or flats occur on black keys. The B is also a C-flat. The F is also an E-sharp.

With accidentals, we can change the name of a note without changing its pitch. This is an enharmonic change. For example, B-flat and A-sharp are both the same pitch and enharmonic.

When a note has been altered by an accidental, it remains altered for the remainder of the measure, unless it is changed by a new accidental.

An accidental does not raise or lower same pitches in other octaves. Just that one pitch. A key signature raise or lower all the same octave pitches. So in the key of G, all the F's on the piano are raised one semitone to F-sharp. In the key of F, all of the B's on the piano are lowered one semitone to B-flat.

Also, an accidental can be a courtesy accidental. For instance, in the key of G, there is an F-sharp in the key signature. If the F in the music is also sharped, it is a courtesy, a reminder. It does not mean two sharps, one from the key signature and one next to the note (double sharps are denoted by the accidental that looks like an x). It is still F#. With the key signature of G, you play the F# if there is an # accidental next to the F, and you also play the F# if there isn't. This applies to flats and naturals as well.

Hope this helps.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission