2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I had put a deposit on a keyboard 6 months ago at a local store. I was told it would take 2 weeks to arrive. Every time I called for an update, I was told it hadn't arrived (this wasn't even a new model) and that it would take more time. Finally August 1st, being fed up of waiting with no effort from the vendor to explain the delay, I pulled my deposit. One salesman who didn't seem to fond of his workplace ended up telling me they were having a financial dispute with the supplier.

I was fairly upset, as they could have explained that earlier. But the worst part is that less than a week later, they call me to tell me that my keyboard has suddenly arrived. Coincident or not, I felt like I received poor service and I've decided not to purchase that keyboard from them. MY problem is that this store is the only place I can buy that particular keyboard model locally, and on line prices in my country are unreasonable for that model. Still, I'd rather buy another model or stick with what I have than have to deal with this store.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

They were dishonest with you before and felt no guilt about it. So you can estimate the chances of them being dishonest again is quite high, and I would not trust them again in any way shape or form. Note that you usually can negotiate with most all on-line retainers, and if you check the Prices Paid thread on this forum, you will know what prices are possible.

Last edited by petes1; 08/27/14 06:08 PM.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
C
OP Offline
C
Yeah, it's more the shipping and duties that makes online keyboards expensive since I'm not from the US. I'd be paying about 300 CAD more.

Last edited by CountSmith; 08/27/14 06:15 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CountSmith
I'd rather buy another model or stick with what I have than have to deal with this store.

Well, then the decision has been made.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Well, I wonder since they ordered a DP that now that they have something that was previously "sold" and now is going to sit. I would go back to them and tell them that you will buy it only if they give you 10% off for the hassle. If they don't take your money elsewhere.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by CountSmith
. . . Still, I'd rather buy another model or stick with what I have than have to deal with this store.

For what it's worth:

If they have what you want, for the price you agreed to pay:

. . . Buy it from them.

Let bygones be bygones, and see how they treat you in the future.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
I would pass on that piano and pass on that store.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I would never purchase anything from a business where I might need future service if I already have a bad relationship with them.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
One thing I've learnt, as I've grown up - the value of that trite platitude "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face".

Even more a factor when I consider things for my kids - I often put my pride and principle aside, on the basis of what's best for all, or the best all 'round solution.

All I would say, is that at the moment, that particular shop / store may hold some degree of power (they seem to be the only place that you can reasonably get this piano from). They don't need to know that, though.

If you do, go in with your eyes open, but wield the power to be able to walk away.

All the same, as I've meandered into middle age, I've found there's no point sat on principles, when you're missing out, or not getting something you want. Disclose nothing, and wield customer / purchasing power.

J
J
Thats a tough one... I mean what kind of customer service could you expect afterward? if this is the way they are as they're "trying" to get your money..

I noticed you used "CAD" up above, would you mind sharing what store this is from?

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
A store that strung me along for months, and lied to me repeatedly, would not get my business. That kind of behavior is unacceptable, and it should not be rewarded. And yes, on a more practical note, if something is wrong with the instrument after some weeks, do you really trust them to honor the warranty or service it properly without a tremendous hassle?

May I ask, what model are you looking to purchase? Maybe someone can suggest some suitable alternatives should you decide to go with another brand?

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would take my business elsewhere if it's going to be cost-neutral, but I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege of "teaching them a lesson". Who knows, their after sales service might be all right, and you probably won't need to use it (depending on the brand). You could write them an email explaining why you don't want to deal with them, and if they have any sense they'll offer you a discount to retain your custom.

Having said that, there are good alternatives across the brands, so if there are other dealers carrying other brands, you can get something just as good.

Basically it comes down to cost/benefit. You should put a price on how unhappy buying from this dealer will make you feel. The best thing for you may be if you can bring yourself to forgive them (remember there are two sides to the story even if they're wrong, and they're probably not actually evil), so you can feel better about buying from them.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
M
M
Originally Posted by lolatu
I would take my business elsewhere if it's going to be cost-neutral, but I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege of "teaching them a lesson". Who knows, their after sales service might be all right, and you probably won't need to use it (depending on the brand). You could write them an email explaining why you don't want to deal with them, and if they have any sense they'll offer you a discount to retain your custom.

Having said that, there are good alternatives across the brands, so if there are other dealers carrying other brands, you can get something just as good.

Basically it comes down to cost/benefit. You should put a price on how unhappy buying from this dealer will make you feel. The best thing for you may be if you can bring yourself to forgive them (remember there are two sides to the story even if they're wrong, and they're probably not actually evil), so you can feel better about buying from them.

+1

On something OT but somewhat related, we recently purchased countertops from a reputable local dealer (not a large corporate franchise). We were very happy with things up until they installed the countertops. They had done the holes in the wrong configuration for the faucet and there was $150 cash missing from my husband's wallet that was on the foyer table after they left. No one else came or went except one fellow who was told often by the other installer to fetch things, so he was walking past the wallet many times.

We loved the countertops, but I had to say something about the mistake and the stolen money even though I had no real proof. I spoke with the company and before even confronting the employees who installed the countertop they said they would reimburse me for the $150 missing because they wanted us to be satisfied. After discussing the hole placement, I was asked what I would like them to do to resolve it and I told them $150 credit on the bill would suffice. They agreed and took $300 off the final tally.

I am very satisfied with this company and will recommend them in the future. They had fired the one employee (who was a temp). I think sometimes you have to ask for a refund or a discount, as long as it's within reason. In the OP's situation, I think it's worth trying to get a discount for the run-around. While I agree it sounds as though this may not be the kind of place that would honor any warranty, the OP could get a good deal as a result and in the end, he'd have his instrument, so it wouldn't be all for naught. Just be wise as a serpent and go over that instrument with a fine-toothed comb when they deliver it while they are still there to make sure there aren't any issues. Some things may come up later, but those would most likely be due to the manufacturer and not the shop at that point.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by lolatu

+1

On something OT but somewhat related, we recently purchased countertops from a reputable local dealer (not a large corporate franchise). We were very happy with things up until they installed the countertops. They had done the holes in the wrong configuration for the faucet and there was $150 cash missing from my husband's wallet that was on the foyer table after they left. No one else came or went except one fellow who was told often by the other installer to fetch things, so he was walking past the wallet many times.

We loved the countertops, but I had to say something about the mistake and the stolen money even though I had no real proof. I spoke with the company and before even confronting the employees who installed the countertop they said they would reimburse me for the $150 missing because they wanted us to be satisfied. After discussing the hole placement, I was asked what I would like them to do to resolve it and I told them $150 credit on the bill would suffice. They agreed and took $300 off the final tally.

I am very satisfied with this company and will recommend them in the future. They had fired the one employee (who was a temp). I think sometimes you have to ask for a refund or a discount, as long as it's within reason. In the OP's situation, I think it's worth trying to get a discount for the run-around. While I agree it sounds as though this may not be the kind of place that would honor any warranty, the OP could get a good deal as a result and in the end, he'd have his instrument, so it wouldn't be all for naught. Just be wise as a serpent and go over that instrument with a fine-toothed comb when they deliver it while they are still there to make sure there aren't any issues. Some things may come up later, but those would most likely be due to the manufacturer and not the shop at that point.

There's a good point in this - often when we're not happy with a company or business, we just walk away. There will likely be no realisation by them as to why.

If you're not happy with somebody you've traded with, I think it makes sense to tell them, and see how they approach it. They may be useless and ambivalent, or may suprise you and they may care more than you think, and want to redress the balance and try and repair the relationship.

If nothing else, after doing so, you'll either have confirmed that you never want to deal with a company / business / shop again, or you may find they have shown willing and won you over again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission