2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BarryR Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Can anyone suggest a stand for the Yamaha MOXF8..?? So far desks, portable tables and one stand I tried makes it to tall to sit and play...

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I own several of these and have been happy with them:
On Stage KS7150

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
BarryR Offline OP
OP Offline
B
That was one of the first I looked at ..(Online)..Its a foot short on the width, and wont lower enough (for me) to get the keyboard at around 28" from the floor...

M
M
Originally Posted by BarryR
That was one of the first I looked at ..(Online)..Its a foot short on the width, and wont lower enough (for me) to get the keyboard at around 28" from the floor...

I think you may find that this is about standard for most stands. There's been discussion about this on this forum before, but if you need to have the keys lower then you either would have to rig something up yourself or do any further adjustment to key height in relation to your body with an adjustable bench.

I currently have this stand for my MP11: On Stage Z stand which gets from from floor to tops of the keys at 29.5". I didn't recommend this one even though it is very sturdy for two reasons: the height is only adjustable to their preset holes which I had to settle for the higher of the two settings without drilling my own hole, and limited leg room for pedals.

Not huge issues either way, but I prefer the table stand that you can make minute adjustments to account for uneven floors or specific height requirements. I do have an adjustable bench that has accommodated this shortcoming.

Now that I think about it, those rubber extenders are completely removable from the legs, and that would take off an extra inch or so from the height. You could replace them with rubber footings that would go around the leg and not add to the height to protect your floors.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
BarryR Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks much for your insight...I will go to Sam Ash/Guitar Center today to see if they have one and try it out...(15% Coupon came in the mail yesterday, for Labor Day)..I am fortunate enough to have both in my area in Bradenton...

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2273277/X-stand_--_Variable_Height_usi.html

If you don't want to use an X-stand, a hacksaw (or drill) and rubber "furniture feet" are both inexpensive.

There is also the keyboard stand based on drumkit hardware:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=keytree

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
BarryR Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2273277/X-stand_--_Variable_Height_usi.html

If you don't want to use an X-stand, a hacksaw (or drill) and rubber "furniture feet" are both inexpensive.

There is also the keyboard stand based on drumkit hardware:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=keytree

. Charles

Thanks Charles...The drum kit looks like megabucks and up to 76 Keys...(although Im sure another piece of something would get it out to 88 length)..The rope trick looks like it works, but I wonder if a piece of channel iron across the feet would do the trick...Im gonna go the the stores in a few after a dry off....I hate cutting the grass three times a week !!!!!

B
BarryR Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I stopped at GC and they did not have the KS7150 stand..So I bought the ProLine PL400...Its the right height on the lowest setting, but the keyboard floats freely all over it..Whoda thought it would have been so difficult...Ill return it tomorrow and order the KS7150 via Amazon..Unless someone can suggest a way to make it static without keyboard mods or two sided tape...!!!!

M
M
I stopped at GC and they did not have the KS7150 stand..So I bought the ProLine PL400...Its the right height on the lowest setting, but the keyboard floats freely all over it..Whoda thought it would have been so difficult...Ill return it tomorrow and order the KS7150 via Amazon..Unless someone can suggest a way to make it static without keyboard mods or two sided tape...!!!!

Not two-sided tape, but there are rubber furniture pads that you can stick on the bottom that are grippy. You can get them at any hardware store.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . Unless someone can suggest a way to make it static without keyboard mods or two sided tape...!!!!

I have solved these problems, in the past, with adhesive Velcro tape. The "loop side" placed on the bottom of the keyboard, and the "hook side" placed on the top of the stand.

The keyboard can be pulled off the stand, but the sideways grip of the Velcro is quite strong.

You're making progress . . .

. Charles

PS -- you'd think _somebody_ would have specified a "standard keyboard mounting template" by now, and that all manufacturers would use it. Just some nuts molded into the bottom of the case would be enough. Dreams, dreams . . .

. Charles
B
BarryR Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
. . . Unless someone can suggest a way to make it static without keyboard mods or two sided tape...!!!!

I have solved these problems, in the past, with adhesive Velcro tape. The "loop side" placed on the bottom of the keyboard, and the "hook side" placed on the top of the stand.

The keyboard can be pulled off the stand, but the sideways grip of the Velcro is quite strong.

You're making progress . . .

. Charles

PS -- you'd think _somebody_ would have specified a "standard keyboard mounting template" by now, and that all manufacturers would use it. Just some nuts molded into the bottom of the case would be enough. Dreams, dreams . . .

Thats a real good idea, and I have plenty of Velcro around here....That maybe the solution...Ill wait a few days before trying it..Im evaluating the MOXf8 that I got just a few days ago...I was on the fence between this and the P105...This is a LOT of my head...I got it at 15% off, so I had to...

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Yes -- wait till you're sure that you'll keep it. The Velcro adhesive is pretty strong.

. Charles

PS -- edit -- I understand "I just had to . . . ". And the MOXF8 is a much richer platform than the P105. Have fun!

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 08/24/14 10:06 PM.

. Charles
S
S
I've been kind of thinking about one of these for myself (MP11) as a non-portable stand, and it could conceivably work for an MOXF8, too: IKEA GALANT Desk (or alternate legs, smaller dimensions).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

They've got great minimum heights at 23 5/8 inches (60cm), and plenty of maximum load capacity. The big potential problem is the surface depth (as in front-to-back: 23 5/8 inches [60cm] for the smallest linked model and 31.5 inches [80cm] for the largest); I wouldn't want the keyboard to underhang in the front (such that there would still be flat table surface between the player and the keys), which would mean it would have to sit on an off-center axis, further meaning that it might be potentially less stable/more wobbly. It's probably crazy, but it is intriguing to me in the absence of any "perfect" stand choice for non-moving slab-style keyboards. Everything available seems compromised in some way, and probably for the sake of portability (which is understandable given the intended/typical usages of "slab" keyboards).

M
M
Starboard: I agree. I think that it would be great if DP manufacturers would create stands for all of their DPs so that those who want to have a permanent "home" for their stage piano they can do that and have it fit their instrument. Some do have these stands, but not all and I just wonder why. I think lots of people would use them since many end up making their own or making do with a portable stand when they have no real need to transport it all the time.

Someday I'll turn the old upright in my garage into a stand for my MP11. The body is in decent shape but the piano itself is not salvageable. Maybe next summer smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
BarryR Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Starboard
I've been kind of thinking about one of these for myself (MP11) as a non-portable stand, and it could conceivably work for an MOXF8, too: IKEA GALANT Desk (or alternate legs, smaller dimensions).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

They've got great minimum heights at 23 5/8 inches (60cm), and plenty of maximum load capacity. The big potential problem is the surface depth (as in front-to-back: 23 5/8 inches [60cm] for the smallest linked model and 31.5 inches [80cm] for the largest); I wouldn't want the keyboard to underhang in the front (such that there would still be flat table surface between the player and the keys), which would mean it would have to sit on an off-center axis, further meaning that it might be potentially less stable/more wobbly. It's probably crazy, but it is intriguing to me in the absence of any "perfect" stand choice for non-moving slab-style keyboards. Everything available seems compromised in some way, and probably for the sake of portability (which is understandable given the intended/typical usages of "slab" keyboards).

I just ordered the On Stage KS7150 from Amazon and returned the PL400 to GC...

A
A
Has anyone actually measured the minimum height of the K&M 18950 with a tape measure?.

There are confusing claims as to it's minimum height, with Thomann saying it is 650mm, and the manufacturer saying it is 670mm.
I have ordered one from Thomann, but have yet to authorise payment.

I need to know urgently, as it is not too late to change to the 18953 or the 18810 Omega.

Thanks.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I have 3 of these Gator Platform stand.

You will notice it has a rubber padded base and it is compatible with the 2nd tier of the On stage KS7150. I have a MOX8 on one and its solid and does not slide. It will go from 26 to 40 inches (66cm to 101cm).

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
S
S
Originally Posted by Abby Pianoman
Has anyone actually measured the minimum height of the K&M 18950 with a tape measure?.

There are confusing claims as to it's minimum height, with Thomann saying it is 650mm, and the manufacturer saying it is 670mm.

I don't have an answer for you Abby, but I'll back up your assertion about this apparent discrepancy. I never noticed it before myself, but as someone still deliberating stands (and among them the matter of 18810 vs. 18950), I'm just now seeing--as you point out--that K&M's own site and product documentation (German, English) lists the 18950's minimum height at 670mm, whereas every US retailer I've looked at (B&H, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend) lists the minimum height at 650mm. Sure, it's only a 2cm difference, but for a stand that's already higher than ideal it does continue to add up. I too would be interested in any end-user measurements.

In this case I would be more inclined to trust the product specifications on the manufacturer's website, however this can presumably be clarified by contacting K&M and Musician's Friend.

It could be that they are both correct, but measuring 'Minimum Height' differently.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
F
F
I bought the THYGE table from IKEA, but I found the surface too big so I bought a 1X4 piece of pine shelf to replace the table top. Using the table bracket as a guide I drilled 6 holes the same size as the laminate top that came with it and used the stock hardware to install it. IT IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! No wobbles, looks like it came from the factory to be used this way. Only thing to note, the lowest setting puts the top of the keys at 29 inches, almost an inch taller than "standard" keyboard height. I'd deal with it because even a $100 stand from guitar center will wobble. For the same price I have something that actually looks great.

fifthdegree
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission