2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
90 members (1903wrightflyer, AlphaTerminus, anotherscott, Alex Hutor, 36251, 8ude, Animisha, adamcz, 18 invisible), 845 guests, and 663 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
52. Csrlos88. Quite a sombre piece with strong modern jazz under stones which I liked. Conveys quite an atmosphere, makes a change from Autumn Leaves. . .Lovely job you did her.

53. Torquenale. Lively piece here very professionally played if I might say so. Well within your capabilities.

54. Ohio-Mark. You played this with confidence and ease. Sounds great!

55. Monika K. Ist class sound, M. Might be easyish but your playing is rich and faultless, the piano rings out so well and is very well tuned!

56. Piano primo1. McCartney wrote some thoughtful stuff and this is one such song. You put a lot o' thought into this and it showed. If I might day so, don't try so hard. You don-t have to hit all the notes on a pop song. This is so very hard to do, I've never done it yet. Go with the flow. . .:) good stuff man.

That was fun. I had fun typing on this little tasnley. (Last word wassbsupposed to be "tablet") isn't Google *&%+>*ing useless?

Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Saranoya

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) I'm actually working on these right now, too, and having major trouble with the pedal! I like your rendition, despite it seeming rhythmically a little uneven in places.

Yes, it's a bit uneven, particularly the fast pieces. I have some things to work on. I can't even play the slower tempo all strict to the metro, it's too hard in a few places.

The pedal, yes Bartok has extremely detailed pedal marks in his pieces but in some (many) places they just make no sense to me. But at least you get an idea of what he is aiming for. In many places I don't use pedal at all. With the pedal, all the nice figurations get drowned in a washed sound. I would say he is overpedaling.

Not to discourage you but these are MUCH more difficult than what I heard you play before. Did you make so much progress ?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by wouter79
Not to discourage you but these are MUCH more difficult than what I heard you play before. Did you make so much progress ?

Yes and no. I'm playing Chopin and working on Mozart, so I should be able to do this. But it's mostly sheer willpower, lots of patience, and a decision on my part: aim for the stars. If you land on the moon, be happy.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Whizbang
wouter79:

Another set of miniatures. I see from this why Bartok can be pretty polarizing, but this strangely seemed like really appropriate music to accompany a costume drama or comedy of manners montage scene and I had all sorts of Jane Austen images running through my head

I never heard of Jane Austen so I had to look it up. Interesting, she wrote only a few books yet it seems a real hype about her right now. And I thought Bartók was about gypsy dances smile

Originally Posted by wimpiano
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68)
Beautiful music. I am not a big fan of Bartoks music but some if it is really beautiful and when well played (and this certainly is well played) it is very nice. I like the different moods of the pieces.

Great to hear that my modest attempts at this made some new Bartók fans !

Originally Posted by barbaram
Lots of complexities in these, handled very well in my view. One of the things I love about these recitals is that it exposes me to music I don’t normally listen to such as this. I know Bartok is not everyone’s cup of tea but I really liked listening to these.

Thanks !

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

Delightful and very nicely performed! I enjoyed these much!

P.S. On a digital you could recreate violin-like passages extensively and professionally, providing you with the capacity to utilize those arrangements you like so much.

Nice to hear !
Interesting, I would then play the melody separately? Or make it into a midi file and then play back through the DP? How would it handle the glissandi, vibrato etc exactly as I would like to have it (faster and slower vibrato, starting notes slightly too high/low etc?)?

Originally Posted by Monica K.
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68): Several of these sounded quite difficult, and I thought you did a good job of playing the ornamentations cleanly. My favorite were the third and fourth dances (at least, what I thought were the third and fourth); they had a slightly sad tone that appealed to me.

Oh yes, nr 3 and 4 are beautiful. I like the mountain horn song the best. I wish I had a faint remote horn here instead of just a piano. Could you hear that horn?

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by SwissMS
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) I find Bartok very hard to play, because I just don’t know how to connect to its inherent dissonance. I really like your interpretation of these miniatures, especially the third one. You might encourage me to take another run at him!

Cool, another new Bartók fan smile

Ah yes nr 3, it has a far-east sound, some arabic influence it seems. I would never have guessed this to be neither Romanian nor gypsy.

Originally Posted by dynamobt
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) (to do) I have actually heard these before. And I know how difficult Bartok is to play. Remember that tempo isn’t everything. You do a fine job on these. Very nice playing.

Yes Andy played them last recital smile Thanks! Good to hear that it works even though I'm not at the right speed.

Now talking about him, he's probably the expert now on this piece, I really hope he is going to comment on my piece

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
42. MaryBee - Magnetic Rag This was terrific to listen too MaryBee. Fancy fingerwork for sure. I'm always impressed with ragtime and must give it a try. Well done.

47. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31, No. 2, 3rd mvmt Wow, I'm blown away by this performance. Incredible playing with flowing melodies I as[pire to play like one day. A truly wonderful performance.

50. jotur/Cathy Turner - I'ts Been A Long, Long Time Wonderful playing as always Cathy and congrats on getting a real paying gig. I'm sure you will be a crowd pleaser as your music is always so lively and full of energy. Toe tappin' funs-a-commin'.

55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon A beautifully relaxing melody and performance. A hint of sadness lies underneath it all and your expressive playing brought it out as intended. The type of piece I love to hear just before bed. Like tonight! This was very nice.

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche I love many Einaudi pieces and this one is no exception. Absolutely beautiful playing that is hard to tell from the original. Elegantly performed.

A
A
Originally Posted by Saranoya
29. Allard - Dream of the Forgotten Child Ah, Lanz again smile. I remember you playing Lanz on my piano during the previous EPP, and me liking it so much that I asked you to come and play here every day. The invitation still stands, any time you feel like it wink.

blush

I am in the process of building a large enough repertoire to entertain you all day long cool

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair
There are some timing irregularities that catch my attention when I'm listening distractedly and bring me back into focus. When a piece is so well known and widely played it's worth having something to do that. There are no technical issues for you in this, Peter, and even the final staccato thirds flow as smoothly as the girl's hair.

You have an irreverence for the score that is idiosyncratically you that doesn't undermine the sincerity and ability in the performance. It's an easy listen, or several, and thanks for that.

34. Ganddalf - Bruremarsj etter Myllarguten (Op.72 no 8)
While Grieg doesn't sound virtuosic we know from the themed recital that his music contains many unexpected awkwardnesses that stretch the technique. You've overcome them all in this piece and brought out the characteristic Grieg sound.

36. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 8 'Pathetique' in C minor, mvmt 3
This is thoroughly riveting and enjoyable, a quite spectacular performance of this movement, frequently the neglected child of this sonata. A performance like this doesn't develop in a few weeks. Long hours of thought and work have gone into this and they show.

When one turns up point-device in their attire it's inviting to brush a fleck of lint from their lapel as a compliment to how well they look. I'd like pay a similar compliment but I fear it might look churlish so PM me if you're interested.

Richard
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
And there's me thinking I followed the score more than any other piece in living memory. I was greatly encouraged by the tempo which, in French, stated "loosely". But I didn't check. . .who cares? smile

"[Linked Image]"
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Haha! You got all the right notes, Peter, in the right order - but not necessarily at the right time! laugh

Seriously, it doesn't detract from the performance - and I've given it many listens so far - but the rhythm just differs a little from what I'm used to and that brings the piece into sharper focus.

Richard
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Love the bit about the final staccato thirds flowing!

"[Linked Image]"
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'm greatly pleased with the contributions by all of you. I'm going to give individual comments as soon as possible.

Thanks to all of you who have commented on my performance of the Grieg piece. I have been asked to provide a link to a performance of the original folk tune played on the Hardanger fiddle. Here is one where two sisters play the music. First you get the original music on the fiddle, then a professional performance of Grieg's transcription.

http://youtu.be/pfXsDDo_eWo

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
01. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - To Zanarkand - Jayden, congratulations for this. I think you get the spirit of this beautiful piece. It's impressive you've been playing less than a year. Well done!

02. earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20 - 21 months and you're already playing Chopin? Like this? Small but beautiful; I loved it.

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World - Wow, thanks for the middle session! Honestly, I think you saved the piece improvising the middle session with your unique style. I was a little bit disappointed at the beginning - not because of your playing! -, but suddenly something sounds familiar - the middle session - "Ah, this is the Mr. SH I know! -. You improvise very well around the theme, as usual, and your music is always a source of inspiration. Thanks for your music!

04. ladypayne - How Deep the Father's Love for Us - ladypayne, this piece is new for me and I love the way you play along all the keyboard. I like your arrangement. Good job.

05. AZ_Astro - Troubador - Winston is a great composer and I can see how hard you worked for this. I love this calm tune; a little bit sad, but beautiful. Congrats!

06. sinophilia (Diana) - Minuet from Serenade no. 1 Op. 183 - "let the music flow the way I hear it in my head" - Diana, this is what playing is about. With this sentence you described the true meaning of playing - at least, this is what I think -. I admire those who play what "they have in their heads", because that means they are not only (rigidly) transposing some signs and codes written on a piece of paper to their fingertips; they are "playing" how they "see" the music and this is a huge jump to reach the real pleasure of playing a piece. And you did it. Congratulations.

07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose - Russ, you're one of my inspirations.

08. CarlosCC - Discovery at Night - Next...

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) - Fine.

10. George Schiro - Dissonance - George, I can hear some styles in this piece... A litle bit "heavy", but well played. Good job.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
11. ajames - Old French Melody - ajames, nice to know that someone in this community (Recaredo) inspired you to play this piece. I didn't knew that Tchaikovsky could write such delicate piece. Good job!

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation) - I prefer your version, Peyton. What to say? Your technique is amazing. Very good.

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 - Plowboy, I think you have a good timing control which is important in this piece. Good job.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow - This is just perfect, Ed. There must be thousands of versions of this music, but I think this version is just perfect, and your playing is really wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

15. dynamobt/Marilyn - Prelude in d minor No 6 WTC Book I - Marilyn, I'm not a big fan of Batch, but I can see how difficult is this prelude. I like the bass line. Good job.

16. 8 Octaves - Sonatina in F Major, 1st Mvmt. - I think the tempo is fine. And I'm sure your teacher is very happy with this record, too. I like it, congratulations.

17. JimF - Its All in the Game - Pretty good and quite calming, JimF. I'd love to hear it live smile Congratulations!

18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair - Peter, I like Debussy because, as you said, it's all about expression and feelings; I find this in Einaudi's pieces too, so I know how hard is to reach this level. But I think you did it! Good job!

19. noobpianist90 - Mazurka in A minor Op. 67 No. 4 - Remarkable work for a WIP - for me it's just fine! -. Thanks for bringing Chopin to this recitals.

20. barbaram - Bach Invention No. 8 - I can see how much you like this piece. I never tried Bach, but I can recognize the hard work involved to play this piece. You did a really good job. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3 - outo, this is really beautiful. It's definitely on the melancholy side, but I like it very much. Thanks!

22. WimPiano - Schumann - Op. 68 No. 3 - Trallerliedchen (Humming Song) - Thanks for sharing, WimPiano! Don't worry about the sound; the important is your delicate playing of this. Good job!

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor - What a nice Allegro. A pro work. Well done!

24. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Little Suite - Cheryl, I was looking forward to listen my first Gurlitt piece smile . I like the variety of pieces you bring for this recitals, which reveals your huge capacity (and high skills) to deal with so many composers - I don't know how you do it! -. This piece is quite beautiful, and you managed to keep it spirit along the entire work. Nice photos, too. Very good!

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera") - Wow, I was seeing the "phantom" while I was listen your interpretation. Very good, amazing!

26. dpaws - Searchlight Rag - dpaws, this is your 2nd Joplin piece, right? I like your piece and I think you did it justice. I can fell you like Joplin's style. Good job!

27. Mohan Karthik - Gallop (Original) - Mohan, I was intrigued about this piece and I was trying to guess your choices to call it Gallop . Now, I get it! Wonderful job. Congratulations.

28. RedKat - Manha de Carnaval - RedKat, as a Portuguese citizen I'm somehow connected to Brazilian culture. So, I get perfectly the message behind this - far from easy - piece. You did a wonderful job. Congratulations.

29. Allard - Dream of the Forgotten Child - Allard, this is just great. I can see this is not an easy piece, but you did it justice. Good Job.

30. Mar_red - Polish Roads / Dreamy Lullaby - Medley - I know what means "Self-taught"... So, I can understand and admire your work to do this medley. Very, very good!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
(Was)TrueBeginner -- I listened to this before reading the description and the first thing that popped into my head was "it's so sad". I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad but so glad you're able to express your pain creatively, as I know you've had a lot to deal with, having this come so soon after the illness and loss of your mom. I'm sure both of them are very proud of you and happy and at peace on their journeys, knowing they could be the source of your finding comfort and healing in the process of making beautiful music--the second thought that popped was "it's very lovely", and the third, "you play it beautifully. " I'm glad you're feeling better now and looking forward to hearing your next composition.

Richard(zrtf90) -- I am fascinated with dreams and their relation to the afterlife and I must have seen Mulholland Drive at least ten times and used photos from it in my My Funny Valentine video. The singer's performance of "Crying" in Spanish is my favorite scene in the film, so I'd be very interested in hearing the original version of Warum you submitted which was inspired by it. But the tempo on this one seems perfect to me and you play it so well that, like WTB's, it's a pleasure to listen to even given its sadness. I wonder what the specifics of Schumann's inspiration for it are, Anna's death or his depression about not being able to pursue the relationship or both, but the biographical background and mood's connection to the film seem apparent as does the latter to WTB's piece. It seems very apropos that I should discover them both on such an darkly overcast California morning as this after the earth shaking but perfect weather we had yesterday.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Last batch I believe. If I missed anyone, I’m sorry. It was not intentional.

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to listen to my piece, and to all of you who commented so generously. Special thanks for the kind words of barbaram, dynamobt, SwissMs(Doris), TrapperJohn, Richard, peterws, Cathy, earlofmar, TX-Bluebonnet, Riddler, MonicaK, Mr S-H, piano primo 1, StarrKeys, TheodorN, Peyton, Greener, ShiroKuro, Saranoya, and CarlosCC. And again, many thanks to all who had a hand in organizing and presenting this 35th ABF recital.

52. carlos88 - Preludes, Book 2: Dead Leaves Boy, and I thought my “French Period” was over the top grin All of Debussy’s preludes is quite a challenge. Thought you handled this uncharacteristically dark prelude pretty nicely. So hard to control the very pp parts. I admire your spunk taking these on without the help of a teacher, which I cannot any longer imagine myself.

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n. 4 Toccata Solid, upbeat performance. Good pulse and forward motion, nice phrases. You sound very assured in playing this, Alessandra. Thanks for going to the trouble of finding the grand at your hubby’s employer, it made for a very enjoyable submission.

54. Ohio_Mark - Schumann_Op68_2_5 Great job, especially given that you said you didn’t work too long on these. Really like your phrasing and the dim at the end of the second one.

55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon Music started before I read the title of this piece…. It sure fits the mood. The Mason sounds like it was made for this music. Of course it took your skill to bring out that observation, so very well played, Monica.

56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road Thanks for bringing us this Beatles classic. Nice touch with those accompanying chords. Can’t say as I understand a word of your last couple sentences in the notes, but I enjoyed the music. (just a general question for anybody – why do we sometimes see these videos come out looking “choppy”? Anyway, thanks for sharing with us Piano Promo 1.

57. Greener / Jeff Green - Badinerie Wow, Jeff. There sure are a lot of notes to learn there. Don’t think I’m familiar with the orchestral original, so definitely never heard the arrangement. Your passion for it does come through in the playing. I’m sure you would be playing the whole thing perfectly had you not been galavanting around Europe all Summer laugh . Seriously, thanks for sharing this Bach and introducing us to “stylized dances”. Always fun to see what you will play next.

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche Sure doesn’t sound like Einaudi at the start… more like Beethoven. Very pretty, played with such a nice touch and tone. If that’s playing by the seat of the pants, then I recommend a similar technique to everyone. Thanks for bringing this to us ShiroKuro.

59. TX- Bluebonnet (Linda) - The Yellow Rose of Texas Get me a whiskey and a seat at the poker table….I can see the attractive gal over at the pi-ani playing The Yellow Rose. Don’t know why I always get this bawdy-house image whenever I hear this classic….probably watched too many cheap western flicks as a kid. Great job putting this together on short notice Linda. Along with all the other first-timers in this recital, you get my first prize for having the wisdom and courage to share your music with us after such a short time playing. Can’t wait to hear more from you and watch your rapid progress.

Last edited by JimF; 08/25/14 05:25 PM.

Standchen-FScubert/FLiszt arr.
Tristan y Isolde -Wagner(arr.)
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, everyone, for listening and commenting. I don't always play my most polished pieces for the ABF, instead using these recitals as my "I'll never play it if I wait til it's ready" play-thru before I add it to my gig list. So your patience is appreciated.

The gig went quite well. It was at an artists market, from 11 to 3, so I played one 1-hour set and 3 45-minute sets. I only have 2 hours of rep, so the last 2 sets were repeats, but they didn't seem to mind. The last set was a little sloppy, but I'd forgotten to bring a snack for before it, and I think I needed a snack. Between the payment and the tips I made more than minimum wage smile I'm hoping after Christmas to be able to do it again.

Again, thanks, and thanks to the folks who make recitals happen, and to everyone who comments on any pieces.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
29. allard- Great playing. I enjoyed the youtube as well. I would not have figured on those cross overs.

21. Otto- I really enjoyed listening to you. I especially loved the ending....very somber and poignant.

Last edited by Peyton; 08/25/14 05:15 PM.
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yundi Li arrested
by Sidokar - 10/26/21 05:36 AM
A thought experiment
by cygnusdei - 10/26/21 03:58 AM
Modern U where is the sample folder located?
by MooganDavid - 10/25/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,747
Posts3,142,124
Members103,118
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission