Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
101 registered members (36251, anotherscott, AWilley, BigIslandGuy, astrotoy, 26 invisible), 1,361 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A New Piano Brand is Coming #2318888
08/23/14 12:21 PM
08/23/14 12:21 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Steve Cohen  Offline OP

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Schimmel Pianos has announced their intention to market a new line of pianos under the "Fridolin" name. (Fridolin Schimmel was the brother of founder Wilhelm and founded his own piano company after emigrating to Minnesota). Young Chang has been chosen to manufacture the Fridolin piano exclusively for Schimmel dealerships. Schimmel describes the new line as "an exceptional piano that maintains the fine tradition of the Schimmel Piano Company that will now replace the price point of the previous May Berlin piano.

The new line will consist of a 48" and 52" upright and a 5'2" and 6'1" grand at competitive price points. The pianos will use AAA solid spruce soundboards, Roslau wire, all maple action parts and cold-pressed hammers.

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2318890
08/23/14 12:24 PM
08/23/14 12:24 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
They've got some marketing genius at work with their branding.

Learner
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2318918
08/23/14 02:10 PM
08/23/14 02:10 PM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
They sure do. Understood that quite a high percentage of May Berlins were rejected by Schimmel.

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2318949
08/23/14 03:55 PM
08/23/14 03:55 PM
Toronto
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AJF  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Toronto
I'm confused by the above statements. Where's the marketing genius in introducing a new mid level line? That seems to be the status quo for many piano companies. How's this any different then Hoffman, Irmler, Boston, Vogel etc?
I'd be genuinely excited if Schimmel was introducing a new 'highest end' line (like what Kawai did 15 years ago when they introduced the Shigeru)
But I can't imagine a move like that being very economically sound in the current piano market. The reality seems to be that inorder to survive many companies have to dumb down and cheapen the potential of their products to accomodate what people are willing/able to pay these days.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2318962
08/23/14 04:34 PM
08/23/14 04:34 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
I wonder about the real reason why Schimmel has given up co-producing with Parsons having now moved over to Young Chang. Not completely convinced it had to do with "quality" but perhaps rather with politics, i.e. "business"

For one, there's many more international Young Chang dealers who could adopt the piano than Parsons has.
Question is also if "Fridolin" will be made in Korea or China, not to do with quality but with 'price'

Wondering if choice of name was totally ideal: quite funny sounding in German and often related to "happy-go-lucky" guys. Too bad don't have that name myself... wink

Wishing the best to company: would be very interested to see the piano and compare how they stack up against some others such a Pramberger Platinum, Ritmüller, Kayserburg and so on.

As often said before, the battle in this segment appears to be intensifying by the month...

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 08/23/14 04:56 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2318988
08/23/14 06:16 PM
08/23/14 06:16 PM
B
Bosendorff Offline
500 Post Club Member
Bosendorff  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

I remember testing a May Berlin two years ago and I thought it was a quite good piano for its price. I especially liked the touch - it was easy to play, light and responsive.

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: AJF] #2318990
08/23/14 06:22 PM
08/23/14 06:22 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Originally Posted by AJF
Where's the marketing genius in introducing a new mid level line? That seems to be the status quo for many piano companies. How's this any different then Hoffman, Irmler, Boston, Vogel etc?

This line is to replace May Berlin. May Berlin was not a mid-priced line, but an entry level line. The Vogel has been Schimmel's mid-priced line for a while. So presumably the new line will be entry-level, with a fanciful MSRP that retailers can discount generously while still making some money.. If that doesn't work, Scmimmel will try something else. There must be other names of family members they can draw on.

Owners of Chinese May Berlin pianos will be pleased to know that their pianos will now skyrocket in value due to their rarity. grin

Presumably

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2318993
08/23/14 06:48 PM
08/23/14 06:48 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
I've seen the Fridolin exhibited at NAMM and at the recent PTG convention here in Atlanta. The designs are from the Weber line (China production, not Albert Weber - Korea). I won't speculate or gossip about why Schimmel parted ways with Parsons, but the May Berlin pianos we received were quite good overall. The partnership with Young Chang is certainly in part due to personal relationships between Schimmel and other industry reps representing Young Chang/Weber in the US. In other words, they know each other. Schimmel may have different lines/partnerships in other markets besides the US.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2319013
08/23/14 08:15 PM
08/23/14 08:15 PM
A
aesop Offline
aesop  Offline
A

I think some people will choose Schimmel Konzert over Shigeru. Especially when they compare the smaller grands of them. Just guess so... Anyway, I find that there is a progress in the Konzert series during the very recent years. Sound and touch. Perhaps still not in the top flight but almost... I'm not sure, it is my personal idea and experience...

Last edited by aesop; 08/23/14 08:17 PM.
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: turandot] #2319018
08/23/14 08:26 PM
08/23/14 08:26 PM
Los Angeles/Burbank
Glenn Treibitz Offline
500 Post Club Member
Glenn Treibitz  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Los Angeles/Burbank
Originally Posted by turandot
Originally Posted by AJF
Where's the marketing genius in introducing a new mid level line? That seems to be the status quo for many piano companies. How's this any different then Hoffman, Irmler, Boston, Vogel etc?

This line is to replace May Berlin. May Berlin was not a mid-priced line, but an entry level line. The Vogel has been Schimmel's mid-priced line for a while. So presumably the new line will be entry-level, with a fanciful MSRP that retailers can discount generously while still making some money.. If that doesn't work, Scmimmel will try something else. There must be other names of family members they can draw on.

Owners of Chinese May Berlin pianos will be pleased to know that their pianos will now skyrocket in value due to their rarity. grin

Presumably

William, I heard the next piano line will be the Murray Schimmel made by Peral River. Murray settled outside Sheboygan,WI and was a distant cousin to Fridolin. He was known for inventing the reverse concave floating piano. Half piano and half boat. You could actually play while sailing and it had player piano type pedal pumps for propulsion.

Last edited by Glenn Treibitz; 08/23/14 08:26 PM.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Grotrian, Mason&Hamlin, Estonia,Schulze Pollmann,Albert Weber,Baldwin,Brodmann,
Ritmuller,Weber,Hardman,Roland,Casio,Used Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2319096
08/24/14 03:05 AM
08/24/14 03:05 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California
Will it be all new designs? Just new decals on the fallboard? Somewhere in between?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2319219
08/24/14 11:54 AM
08/24/14 11:54 AM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

7000 Post Club Member

Rochester MN
This is getting so confusing.

Let's see -- Schimmel of Braunschweig is trying to emulate Schimmel of Faribault via Asia? Uff da!

Schimmel of Sheboygan (Murray) Founded Schimmel & Sons Sausages which specialized in Braunschweiger and obviously is in neither Germany nor Minnesota. It's not the wurst thing that can happen, however.

It can become even more confusing when you understand that the first USA Schimmels were actually Schimmel-Nelsons. By about the mid-1890's, Searick Nelson left the company. Aha, you might think. You'd be wrong. Searick never cabled up with Cable. That was H.P. Nelson. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a Nelson & Nelson, nor a Schimmel & Schimmel.

One of the few giraffes that I have played was a Schimmel-Nelson at the National Music Museum in South Dakota. Well, it was old and tall and didn't speak German, or even 'Sotan, eh?

I'm waiting for the new Willy, Fred, & Murray pianos built in Wittenberg Wisconsin. That's near Wausau which isn't in Poland or even in Asia.

Alas

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2319227
08/24/14 12:17 PM
08/24/14 12:17 PM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia
I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation... another entry level piano coming out of Asia (claiming its rich European heritage) - sounds truly unique and special...And the name, that is a triumph - I always wanted a piano that was named after a hobbit...

Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: ando] #2319230
08/24/14 12:22 PM
08/24/14 12:22 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by ando
I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation... another entry level piano coming out of Asia (claiming its rich European heritage) - sounds truly unique and special...And the name, that is a triumph - I always wanted a piano that was named after a hobbit...

thumb thumb thumb ha

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Steve Cohen] #2319232
08/24/14 12:30 PM
08/24/14 12:30 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
C
Carbonblob Offline
Carbonblob  Offline
C

Los Angeles, Ca.
ando +1!

also, whenever I hear the marketing jargon "price point" I think of the now defunct Mills Pride cabinets you pulled off the shelf at Home Depot!

Sorry, can't help the analogy. Think Bosie, SS&S or any high end company would use the term "price point" to describe their offerings? Such a tired and overused description (btw, used in my field of work, ad nauseum, that's why I'm sick of hearing it so often) .......blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Glenn Treibitz] #2319275
08/24/14 02:30 PM
08/24/14 02:30 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Glenn Treibitz
[
William, I heard the next piano line will be the Murray Schimmel made by Peral River. Murray settled outside Sheboygan,WI and was a distant cousin to Fridolin. He was known for inventing the reverse concave floating piano. Half piano and half boat. You could actually play while sailing and it had player piano type pedal pumps for propulsion.

The sketches for the Ice Fishing Art Case version of this piano are beautiful. Far beyond the standard white polyester finish.

Learner
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: Minnesota Marty] #2319350
08/24/14 07:07 PM
08/24/14 07:07 PM
Conway, AR USA
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
bkw58  Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

2000 Post Club Member

Conway, AR USA
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
This is getting so confusing.

Let's see -- Schimmel of Braunschweig is trying to emulate Schimmel of Faribault via Asia? Uff da!

Schimmel of Sheboygan (Murray) Founded Schimmel & Sons Sausages which specialized in Braunschweiger and obviously is in neither Germany nor Minnesota. It's not the wurst thing that can happen, however.

It can become even more confusing when you understand that the first USA Schimmels were actually Schimmel-Nelsons. By about the mid-1890's, Searick Nelson left the company. Aha, you might think. You'd be wrong. Searick never cabled up with Cable. That was H.P. Nelson. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a Nelson & Nelson, nor a Schimmel & Schimmel.

One of the few giraffes that I have played was a Schimmel-Nelson at the National Music Museum in South Dakota. Well, it was old and tall and didn't speak German, or even 'Sotan, eh?

I'm waiting for the new Willy, Fred, & Murray pianos built in Wittenberg Wisconsin. That's near Wausau which isn't in Poland or even in Asia.

Alas

Finally, a break from The Endless Equation. 30 days is too long. Welcome back, Marty. smile

As to the topic at hand, frankly, I would have avoided all of the marketing costs and simply adapted a Shelley sequel title. Son of Schimmel.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: ando] #2319353
08/24/14 07:19 PM
08/24/14 07:19 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA

Not to be argumentative, but you are dead wrong. It's not an entry-level piano coming out of Asia claiming its rich European heritage. It's another contract piano made to fit a European maker's willingness to pay. The Piano does not claim to have a European heritage. The Chinese piano factory that manufactured it does not claim to have a European heritage. The marketing department of the European company that ordered it, most likely paying as little as possible, is claiming the European heritage.

Parsons can make good pianos, as can other Chinese factories. They have proven that. If it is true as someone implied that Schimmel was unhappy with what they got for their money from Parsons, it may well be the case that they got exactly what they were willing to pay for, and nothing more than that.

I disagree completely with all those who disparage a new model simply because it's entry-level. I only brought that fact up in my post to correct a mistaken impression. Entry-level is a product marketing term to remind people when they are buying said product that ultimately they need to come back and upgrade. Beyond that, the term has no precise meaning.

There are plenty of pianos at different levels of price that outprrform their more expesnvie cousins. And there are plenty of people for whom any new acoustic piano is a luxury, for some an out-of-reach luxury. Poo-poohing the entry-level seems a bit snooty, considering economic reality.

If the piano industry is to survive, it needs the products at the so-called entry level (IOW the products that most people can hope to afford) far more than it needs the high end stuff. The high end niche market is okay for small production companies that don't expect to sell a lot of pianos and build at a rate and speed to fit their sales expectations. But that's not Schimmel's background. In terms of Euorpean factories, they have fairly high capacity. A solitary focus on upper end pianos that those who frequent Internet forums love to discuss endlessly but are unlikely to ever buy will leave a company like Schimmel in a bad place.

It's also true that most owned entry-level pianos stand ready to outperform their owners. Decisions to upgrade are more often than not based on an unsettled feeling on the part of an owner that his piano somehow doesn't measure up to something else that's out there and within or just beyond his spending reach.

Occasionally an entry-level piano raises the bar a little on what's available at its price. That's happened a lot over the last ten years in my opinion. If no one competed there, those improvements would be unlikely to happen. I'm not saying that the Schimmel OEM job from Young Chang will do that, but the piano will speak for itself soon enough.

So for those who honestly feel that news of an entry-level piano is a colossal bore, why not just be silent? Steve was simply reporting industry news. Last time I checked, that's what this forum is supposedly about.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: turandot] #2319357
08/24/14 07:39 PM
08/24/14 07:39 PM
Usa
G
Grandman Offline
500 Post Club Member
Grandman  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Usa

Not to be argumentative, but you are dead wrong. It's not an entry-level piano coming out of Asia claiming its rich European heritage. It's another contract piano made to fit a European maker's willingness to pay. The Piano does not claim to have a European heritage. The Chinese piano factory that manufactured it does not claim to have a European heritage. The marketing department of the European company that ordered it, most likely paying as little as possible, is claiming the European heritage.

Parsons can make good pianos, as can other Chinese factories. They have proven that. If it is true as someone implied that Schimmel was unhappy with what they got for their money from Parsons, it may well be the case that they got exactly what they were willing to pay for, and nothing more than that.

I disagree completely with all those who disparage a new model simply because it's entry-level. I only brought that fact up in my post to correct a mistaken impression. Entry-level is a product marketing term to remind people when they are buying said product that ultimately they need to come back and upgrade. Beyond that, the term has no precise meaning.

There are plenty of pianos at different levels of price that outprrform their more expesnvie cousins. And there are plenty of people for whom any new acoustic piano is a luxury, for some an out-of-reach luxury. Poo-poohing the entry-level seems a bit snooty, considering economic reality.

If the piano industry is to survive, it needs the products at the so-called entry level (IOW the products that most people can hope to afford) far more than it needs the high end stuff. The high end niche market is okay for small production companies that don't expect to sell a lot of pianos and build at a rate and speed to fit their sales expectations. But that's not Schimmel's background. In terms of Euorpean factories, they have fairly high capacity. A solitary focus on upper end pianos that those who frequent Internet forums love to discuss endlessly but are unlikely to ever buy will leave a company like Schimmel in a bad place.

It's also true that most owned entry-level pianos stand ready to outperform their owners. Decisions to upgrade are more often than not based on an unsettled feeling on the part of an owner that his piano somehow doesn't measure up to something else that's out there and within or just beyond his spending reach.

Occasionally an entry-level piano raises the bar a little on what's available at its price. That's happened a lot over the last ten years in my opinion. If no one competed there, those improvements would be unlikely to happen. I'm not saying that the Schimmel OEM job from Young Chang will do that, but the piano will speak for itself soon enough.

So for those who honestly feel that news of an entry-level piano is a colossal bore, why not just be silent? Steve was simply reporting industry news. Last time I checked, that's what this forum is supposedly about.

Anyone poking fun at "entry level" pianos needs to read this post carefully. The fact is, we can all ooohh and aahhh all we want over the tier 1 pianos, but for most people, the entry and mid tier levels is where the industry lives or dies. To view this post as a disappointment and to make ridicule is baffling to me. Schimmel doesn't need to come up with another Shigeru Kawai. They already have the Konzert grands for that. They need to find a way to make great pianos an affordable reality if the industry is to survive. And with today's technology with advanced machinery, this is very possible, as evidenced by the number of good pianos already being made.

Last edited by Grandman; 08/24/14 07:43 PM.
Re: A New Piano Brand is Coming [Re: turandot] #2319359
08/24/14 07:41 PM
08/24/14 07:41 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline OP
Steve Cohen  Offline OP

Maryland/DC/No. VA

Great post, Tur!

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is this piece?
by pianoloverus. 07/18/19 07:13 PM
Roland GP-607 -- resonance note
by Charles Cohen. 07/18/19 06:11 PM
yamaha or pramberger, dilemma!
by Sacha. 07/18/19 03:55 PM
Concert grand for 10k?
by nilsragnar. 07/18/19 03:32 PM
CVP-800 series thread
by R111. 07/18/19 01:20 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,068
Posts2,849,594
Members93,922
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission