2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
38 members (clothearednincompo, CyberGene, Boboulus, Daryl Durand, DPAfficionado, EVC2017, 12 invisible), 450 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How many years?
#2317860 08/20/14 05:30 PM
S
OP Offline
S
How many years would you say that it would be reasonable to expect it to take to go from the level of playing pieces like Mozart's K 330, Schubert Impromptus op 90, and Beethoven's Op 2 No 1 to the level of playing Chopin ballades (Minus the 4th), Etudes and Scherzos (Minus the 4th)? Is it reasonable to aim at getting to that level within 3 or 4 years or does it normally take longer time or even shorter? I know everyone is different, but I just wonder what is usual. My learning curve this far has been quite normal I think; I have been playing the piano for almost 5 years, I am 22 now and started when I was 17. So, do you guys think, considering what is normal and how my learning curve has been, that it would be a reasonable goal to aim at playing Chopin ballades and scherzos within 3 years?

Re: How many years?
schumoney #2317868 08/20/14 05:36 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
"So, do you guys think, considering what is normal and how my learning curve has been, that it would be a reasonable goal to aim at playing Chopin ballades and scherzos within 3 years?"

Yep. I started Scherzo 1 just a year or so after that point, but it wasn't that great. A year after I learned it I could handle it pretty well.

schumoney #2317877 08/20/14 06:29 PM
F
F
Playing those impromptus WELL is very difficult... I think that if you can play those actually very well, you can play these other pieces. I'm not saying it is the same difficulty, but it's the same approach...
The Beethoven, also, very difficult. I did not play this one, but played the other ones from the same opus number, and they're definitely not easy...

It doesn't matter if it's the Hammerklavier or it's Mozart K330, it's the same instrument. Once you have the basics of technique, just learn how to practice and go for it.

schumoney #2317968 08/21/14 12:04 AM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
We get so many threads like this...there is never a way to answer it that will help the poster.

Regards,

Polyphonist
schumoney #2317972 08/21/14 12:18 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
How hard are you going to work?

Poetry is rhythm
schumoney #2317976 08/21/14 12:33 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by schumoney
How many years would you say that it would be reasonable to expect it to take to go from the level of playing pieces like Mozart's K 330, Schubert Impromptus op 90, and Beethoven's Op 2 No 1 to the level of playing Chopin ballades (Minus the 4th), Etudes and Scherzos (Minus the 4th)? [...]

We don't have a crystal ball and we can't see into your future. It will take as long as it takes.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
schumoney #2317977 08/21/14 12:34 AM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Good replies in the last two posts.

Regards,

Polyphonist
schumoney #2317979 08/21/14 12:41 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is a common question? It seems so very...specific. The best anybody can say is that, on average, it takes an average of about 8-10 years of quality study from a young age to get to a solidly advanced level. This is true of a number of technical art forms.

I guess it's in some way interesting to know, but hard to do anything really useful with that information. After all, an average does not describe variation within the group in any way. And given all the factors (internal aptitude, quality of study, quality of instruction) at play no matter who it is, I don't know what to do with the information on a granular level.

Best guess: if you're average, you'll play those pieces after about 8-10 years of study. How will you know if you are average? Well, if, after 8-10 years of study, you can play these pieces, then you are average.

I only wish there were a way to make better predictions. Though, again, I feel like the curmudgeonly father driving the car: when will we be there? We'll be there when we get there! That's how you'll know! smile

Polyphonist #2317981 08/21/14 12:46 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Good replies in the last two posts.

Thanks.

Poetry is rhythm
schumoney #2317992 08/21/14 01:16 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by schumoney
How many years would you say that it would be reasonable to expect it to take to go from the level of playing pieces like Mozart's K 330, Schubert Impromptus op 90, and Beethoven's Op 2 No 1 to the level of playing Chopin ballades (Minus the 4th), Etudes and Scherzos (Minus the 4th)? Is it reasonable to aim at getting to that level within 3 or 4 years or does it normally take longer time or even shorter? I know everyone is different, but I just wonder what is usual. My learning curve this far has been quite normal I think; I have been playing the piano for almost 5 years, I am 22 now and started when I was 17. So, do you guys think, considering what is normal and how my learning curve has been, that it would be a reasonable goal to aim at playing Chopin ballades and scherzos within 3 years?

Anyone can learn anything given enough time and determination. The question is how you will sound playing it. To play those pieces well, assuming you're playing the repertoire you mentioned reasonably well, it depends more than anything on how much you practice and how helpful your teacher is.
If you're getting in 2 hours of practice a day and you have a helpful teacher, sure, getting that repertoire solidly in hand within 3 years sounds reasonable.
But it's more a question for your teacher as we don't know your playing or your history!

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
schumoney #2317994 08/21/14 01:22 AM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Inbox me and I'll ask you some questions. I'll give you an answer with a window of 2 months and it'll be correct. And I'll prove it with math.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2318074 08/21/14 07:41 AM
F
F
Originally Posted by Atrys
Inbox me and I'll ask you some questions. I'll give you an answer with a window of 2 months and it'll be correct. And I'll prove it with math.

schumoney #2318191 08/21/14 02:17 PM
S
S
How long? Assuming you already, in principle, have the technical facility required for accurately and fluently playing a piece you are starting to study, the actual, eventual length of time it will take to perfect your performance will depend on your musical imagination and artistic vision of the piece, and your ability to accurately realize (i.e. deliver) that vision, with all its essential acoustic and stylistic nuances, to a level of reliability you feel confident and reasonably satisfied with.

What I'm referring to is something way beyond the printed notes in terms of acoustically and structurally detailed knowledge, depth of studying and degree of mental-physical command. Pablo Casals (no slouch in technical respects) worked continually for ten years on the Bach solo 'cello suites before he felt artistically capable of performing them in public - though no doubt he was able to get through the notes pretty well on his first read-through. Just one of many similar cases one could cite.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/ocportal
schumoney #2318280 08/21/14 06:43 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I view piano playing as a relaxing activity. I don't set future goals and expectations for two reasons. First reason is that I enjoy playing too much to even consider setting myself up for possible future disappointment. Second reason is that the discovery process is boundless so why restrict it.

Enjoy

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
schumoney #2318286 08/21/14 07:02 PM
Although I think it's "reasonable" to think you can reach the level described in your OP in three years, it's also true that around 99% never reach that level. And some of that 99% are people with excellent teachers and good practice methods.

I agree with those that say the quality of your teacher and the quality/length of your practicing are very important. But talent is at least part of the equation also.

Setting goals seems to be a good thing for many people. OTOH it might be better to just enjoy the journey however fast it is. I think it's very important to remember that you're already at a level where the number of total masterpieces(as good as the Ballades but technically easier) available is unlimited.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/21/14 07:03 PM.
Scordatura #2318289 08/21/14 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Scordatura
How long? Assuming you already, in principle, have the technical facility required for accurately and fluently playing a piece you are starting to study...
I'm 99% sure the OP doesn't feel he presently has the necessary technique.

pianoloverus #2318332 08/21/14 09:21 PM
F
F
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think it's very important to remember that you're already at a level where the number of total masterpieces(as good as the Ballades but technically easier) available is unlimited.

It's already highlighted, but still...
+1

Francisco Scalco #2318360 08/21/14 10:55 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
I think it's very important to remember that you're already at a level where the number of total masterpieces(as good as the Ballades but technically easier) available is unlimited.

It's already highlighted, but still...
+1

lol I was considering to write the exact same post when I read yours

Poetry is rhythm
pianoloverus #2318556 08/22/14 11:08 AM
F
F
Although I think it's "reasonable" to think you can reach the level described in your OP in three years, it's also true that around 99% never reach that level. And some of that 99% are people with excellent teachers and good practice methods.

I agree with those that say the quality of your teacher and the quality/length of your practicing are very important. But talent is at least part of the equation also.

Setting goals seems to be a good thing for many people. OTOH it might be better to just enjoy the journey however fast it is. I think it's very important to remember that you're already at a level where the number of total masterpieces(as good as the Ballades but technically easier) available is unlimited.
The question is rather if it is possible to get to that level in three years at that age between ages 22 and 25(?). Now the pieces mentioned are far from being the most difficult in the repertoire but I dont know anyone who has been able to get to that level at that age. Now I do beleive it is possible, but still interesting to think about... What do others here think on this matter?

Last edited by Franz Beebert; 08/22/14 11:10 AM.
Franz Beebert #2318615 08/22/14 01:52 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
The question is rather if it is possible to get to that level in three years at that age between ages 22 and 25(?). Now the pieces mentioned are far from being the most difficult in the repertoire but I dont know anyone who has been able to get to that level at that age. Now I do beleive it is possible, but still interesting to think about... What do others here think on this matter?

I personally don't know any people who started at age 15-18 or so as I'm assuming OP did and really studied seriously, but I'm almost 22 and I feel like my technique still improves considerably with practice, and at a pace not any slower than some of the 14 year olds I've met, so I would guess that it's doable.

Another thing though is that at age 22-25, most people typically don't have much time to practice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
K. Kawai piano. Best tuning,
by Maximillyan - 11/29/20 03:22 AM
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,122
Posts3,028,376
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission