Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
133 registered members (ando, 90125, Animisha, Alex C, Amedeus, accordeur, amad23, akc42, anotherscott, 28 invisible), 1,346 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: TwoSnowflakes] #2316692
08/17/14 07:26 PM
08/17/14 07:26 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Ha, go for it. But seriously, by saying a composer is an "aspirational gateway" I don't mean to say that any particular piece is my main aspiration, only that once I'm good enough to attempt any Rachmaninoff, I feel like I've passed through a gateway of sorts in terms of skill level. Even if, once I'm through that gateway, it's Schumann I aspire to play. That's not the case with Schumann because there's a reasonable amount to play starting at a moderate level, so "getting to Schumann" has less of a gateway feel to me.

I'm sure I'll feel the same about Liszt, even though I'm actually not a huge fan of much of his music. But once I get good enough that the study of any Liszt is a pedagogically appropriate, I'll feel incredibly gratified. It'll mean I can feel legitimately close to being ready for some of those dream pieces I never permitted myself the luxury of getting to study.

Does that make sense?
Perfect sense !! However, Liszt wrote a few things that are accessible to intermediate level pianists - so it may be possible for you to break through that "aspirational gateway" right now. Case in point..... wink
http://youtu.be/cq5pS5NRzzk

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2316698
08/17/14 07:40 PM
08/17/14 07:40 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
Carey, I'm not comparing him to other composers, I believed this comparison already existed. I'm not agreeing with it. I don't think of him as a 'difficult composer': my idea of one has to do with what twosnowflakes already said.
But well, seeing this whole thing was in my head, I'll stop and say I'm wrong. However, I still believe that there's something weird about the reception to Schumann's music. Seeing the responses in this thread, this may be a personal issue, concerning my specific environment (Brazil).
But thank you all for your responses!

It is often remarked that certain composers are rated differently in different countries - why this is so is not evident. (Bach, Mozart and Beethoven are rated highly in all countries that have a Western classical audience).

Schumann is certainly one of these 'unfortunate' ones. His symphonies are almost guaranteed to empty concert halls in the UK and USA, but fill them to the brim in Germany and Austria. But his piano music (including his piano concerto, but not violin or cello concerto) is always popular with audiences in the UK, who can't hear enough of his Fantasy in C, Carnaval, Kreisleriana, Kinderszenen, Op.12 Fantasiestücke, Symphonic Etudes....but not so much his Davidsbündlertänze, or Papillons or Humoreske or Bunte Blätter.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: bennevis] #2316710
08/17/14 08:01 PM
08/17/14 08:01 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by bennevis
It is often remarked that certain composers are rated differently in different countries - why this is so is not evident. (Bach, Mozart and Beethoven are rated highly in all countries that have a Western classical audience).
I don't travel much - so this is a fairly new concept to me. ha

Schumann is certainly one of these 'unfortunate' ones. His symphonies are almost guaranteed to empty concert halls in the UK and USA, but fill them to the brim in Germany and Austria.
True. (I did live in Germany for a time.)
But his piano music (including his piano concerto, but not violin or cello concerto) is always popular with audiences in the UK, who can't hear enough of his Fantasy in C, Carnaval, Kreisleriana, Kinderszenen, Op.12 Fantasiestücke, Symphonic Etudes....but not so much his Davidsbündlertänze, or Papillons or Humoreske or Bunte Blätter.
Pretty much the case in the USA as well - with the exception of Papillons which seems fairly popular here.

I wonder how Brahms fares in Brazil. grin

Last edited by carey; 08/17/14 08:02 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: TwoSnowflakes] #2316718
08/17/14 08:12 PM
08/17/14 08:12 PM
New York City
P
Polyphonist Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Polyphonist  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P

New York City
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
I say this with love in my heart, but have any of you sexist pigs ever considered the fact that the actual pianist who first played (and show-cased) these works was a seasoned concert pianist by the name of Clara?

Shame on you.

Why or how else would he have had the luxury of writing works at this level?

Clara Schumann did not have just something to do with his success as a composer, she had everything to do with it!

I'm really not clear where the sexism has been here.

Perhaps Louis was being sarcastic?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: Carey] #2316726
08/17/14 08:37 PM
08/17/14 08:37 PM
TwoSnowflakes Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TwoSnowflakes  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by carey
Ha, go for it. But seriously, by saying a composer is an "aspirational gateway" I don't mean to say that any particular piece is my main aspiration, only that once I'm good enough to attempt any Rachmaninoff, I feel like I've passed through a gateway of sorts in terms of skill level. Even if, once I'm through that gateway, it's Schumann I aspire to play. That's not the case with Schumann because there's a reasonable amount to play starting at a moderate level, so "getting to Schumann" has less of a gateway feel to me.

I'm sure I'll feel the same about Liszt, even though I'm actually not a huge fan of much of his music. But once I get good enough that the study of any Liszt is a pedagogically appropriate, I'll feel incredibly gratified. It'll mean I can feel legitimately close to being ready for some of those dream pieces I never permitted myself the luxury of getting to study.

Does that make sense?
Perfect sense !! However, Liszt wrote a few things that are accessible to intermediate level pianists - so it may be possible for you to break through that "aspirational gateway" right now. Case in point..... wink

Ooh, dig it! Non-bravura Liszt!

Well, now I just need a new aspirational gateway composer. I'm taking nominations.

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2316727
08/17/14 08:42 PM
08/17/14 08:42 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
F
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
FarmGirl  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

F

Scottsdale, AZ
Here's the enigma of Schumann pieces to me:

After listening to Schumann's Carnaval by Olga kern, I was ecstatic and told myself "Yep,that's the piece I'm gonna play someday when I get better". A few days later I heard Carnaval performed by another pianist who obviously plays much better than most of people I know. However, this time around it sounded so overly complex and brainy. Did not move me. I started having headache towards the end and told myself "now that's the piece I will never play in my life"

I cannot figure out why. It may be just me

Last edited by FarmGirl; 08/17/14 09:08 PM.

1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Morzart Rondo in A minor, K511
3) Schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) kabalevsky Variations in A minor OP 40-2
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: TwoSnowflakes] #2316730
08/17/14 08:51 PM
08/17/14 08:51 PM
F
Francisco Scalco Offline OP
Francisco Scalco  Offline OP
F

Originally Posted by carey

Does that make sense?

Ooh, dig it! Non-bravura Liszt!

Well, now I just need a new aspirational gateway composer. I'm taking nominations.

Stravinsky! I don't know if that's of your interest, but here's a composer who's not complacent with the humble beginner. It's just straight up Petrouchka, or his sonata. What a bastard. laugh

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: beet31425] #2316742
08/17/14 09:33 PM
08/17/14 09:33 PM
Pacific Northwest, US.
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
argerichfan  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A

Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted by beet31425

I don't think people generally think Schumann's music is "so difficult".

Oh dear, my good mate. The Symphonic Etudes was the last major piano piece I studied at uni before moving on to church music. I shudder to think how stupid I was at the time for taking on such a difficult fresco. Listening to my performance 14 years later -oh the pain- what was I thinking? (I did get the notes at least.)

Ah, youth, terribly wasted on the young, thanks Oscar Wilde.

Several years ago I heard Stephen Hough play the Carnival in recital. Apparently he ran out of steam towards the end, maybe he was merely having a bad day, but it was hard to overlook a sense of fatigue.

In some aspects, I think Schumann as challenging as anything in Chopin or Liszt.

Jason
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: argerichfan] #2316799
08/18/14 01:32 AM
08/18/14 01:32 AM
DonaldLee Offline
DonaldLee  Offline

Originally Posted by argerichfan

In some aspects, I think Schumann as challenging as anything in Chopin or Liszt.

I would say more difficult. Chopin and Liszt are quite comfortable in the hands when played correctly. Schumann's music, for me and most of my peers at school, is quite clumsy in the hands, and always feels a bit awkward.

Donald Lee III
BM '16 James Madison University
MM '18 Cincinnati Conservatory of Music

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: FarmGirl] #2316811
08/18/14 03:47 AM
08/18/14 03:47 AM
Seattle, WA
M
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member
MarkH  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Seattle, WA
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I started having headache towards the end and told myself "now that's the piece I will never play in my life"

That actually happens to me a lot with Schumann, especially with Carnival. One piano teacher and I discussed this, and he suggested that it had to do with the monotonousness of Schumann's rhythms. Once he falls upon a rhythm he likes, he can often repeat it wayyyyyyy too many times in a way that pierces my brain.

I think he may indeed be more difficult than Chopin and Liszt for example, because their music is well-composed enough that it often "plays itself", whereas Schumann's requires very careful effort to make it work at all.

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: DonaldLee] #2316865
08/18/14 08:10 AM
08/18/14 08:10 AM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

Donald, that's the one thing I've always thought about Schumann as well, in reviewing this thread. In several of the major works, I seem to run physically out of gas -- and I think it's because of the cumulative effect of negotiating too many awkward passages as part of the proposition. Musically, they make sense, and so I'm not criticizing him exactly -- but I've found that I need to plot out a strategy to get from the beginning to the end gracefully. You've got to be physically strong to play Schumann well, IMO!

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2316896
08/18/14 09:59 AM
08/18/14 09:59 AM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA

Stravinsky! I don't know if that's of your interest, but here's a composer who's not complacent with the humble beginner. It's just straight up Petrouchka, or his sonata. What a bastard. laugh

I'm told Ravel is really hard too.

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:​
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Sinding, Frühlingsrauschen (Rustle of Spring)
Beethoven, Sonata no. 14 in C# minor (Moonlight), mvts. 1 & 2
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: DonaldLee] #2316898
08/18/14 10:15 AM
08/18/14 10:15 AM
NYC
R
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RealPlayer  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R

NYC
I would say more difficult. Chopin and Liszt are quite comfortable in the hands when played correctly. Schumann's music, for me and most of my peers at school, is quite clumsy in the hands, and always feels a bit awkward.
I just read this thread from the beginning, and was wondering when someone would mention this. I agree about the awkwardness(es).

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: RealPlayer] #2316916
08/18/14 11:16 AM
08/18/14 11:16 AM
F
Francisco Scalco Offline OP
Francisco Scalco  Offline OP
F

Originally Posted by RealPlayer
I just read this thread from the beginning, and was wondering when someone would mention this. I agree about the awkwardness(es).

I feel that way about most of the germanic composers... Beethoven, Schumann, Brahms... they are never (with the exception of Brahms; because of different times I believe) pianistic, always very orchestral. I get the impression they weren't composing music -for- the piano. Which is why I love it so much. laugh

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2316931
08/18/14 11:36 AM
08/18/14 11:36 AM
TwoSnowflakes Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TwoSnowflakes  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hmm, I chalked up the "interesting" navigational issues in Schumann to just not being terribly advanced in general, but maybe it's just Schumann. On the other hand, once I had those down, the pieces were generally comfortable. Now, of course, I'm not playing Schumann's very advanced works.

The Brahms I'm playing feels very broad under the hands in the way that Chopin does not. In fact, I have to very deliberately prevent keeping my hands way stretched out. I seem to want to stay prepared for it all, and over time that is fatiguing, and after a bit more time, a bit achy, in fact.

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: TwoSnowflakes] #2316947
08/18/14 12:19 PM
08/18/14 12:19 PM
L
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member
Louis Podesta  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

I say this with love in my heart, but have any of you sexist pigs ever considered the fact that the actual pianist who first played (and show-cased) these works was a seasoned concert pianist by the name of Clara?

Shame on you.

Why or how else would he have had the luxury of writing works at this level?

Clara Schumann did not have just something to do with his success as a composer, she had everything to do with it!

I'm really not clear where the sexism has been here.

And I say this as a huge fan of Clara Schumann (I'm reading a book written entirely about her right now, in fact) and as a person with a comprehensive and lifelong familiarity with being female.

I don't believe we were mainly wondering why he wrote exceptionally difficult works, but whether he wrote them in greater or lesser proportion to other composers.

Unlike Schubert, who could have cared less if he or anyone else could play his late Sonatas, some composers cared a great deal about how their works would actually sound.

With Brahms, when he was older, he would climb up four flights of stairs to get to young Moritz Rosenthal's apartment so he could have the young pianist play some of his works that he no longer could.

With Schumann, he had the woman he had loved, since she was twelve years old, to flesh out any technical problem or compositional idea. There is simply no way a man who was severely mentally ill, with a bunged up fourth finger to boot, would have composed what he did without a lover/wife/concert pianist at his beckon call.

Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: Louis Podesta] #2316962
08/18/14 01:14 PM
08/18/14 01:14 PM
Bay Area, CA
beet31425 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
beet31425  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Bay Area, CA

Unlike Schubert, who could have cared less if he or anyone else could play his late Sonatas...

So... you're saying that Schubert did care? At least you're saying his caring level was > 0... smile

-J

Beethoven op.110, Chopin op.27/2, Liszt Vallée d'Obermann
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: beet31425] #2316964
08/18/14 01:19 PM
08/18/14 01:19 PM
California
P
phantomFive Offline
3000 Post Club Member
phantomFive  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P

California

Unlike Schubert, who could have cared less if he or anyone else could play his late Sonatas...

So... you're saying that Schubert did care? At least you're saying his caring level was > 0... smile

-J

There is probably a way he could have cared less......for example, if it were a cold night, and his toes were frigid, he would probably care even less whether people could play his songs. Cold toes are important!

Poetry is rhythm
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: phantomFive] #2316965
08/18/14 01:24 PM
08/18/14 01:24 PM
Bay Area, CA
beet31425 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
beet31425  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted by phantomFive

-J

There is probably a way he could have cared less......for example, if it were a cold night, and his toes were frigid, he would probably care even less whether people could play his songs. Cold toes are important!

I'm understanding now. So, I think Louis's point was that Schubert had warm toes, but Schumann had particularly cold toes. Maybe that's why he wrote such difficult music?

Beethoven op.110, Chopin op.27/2, Liszt Vallée d'Obermann
Re: Schumann's Difficulty [Re: Francisco Scalco] #2317010
08/18/14 03:36 PM
08/18/14 03:36 PM
Germany
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member
patH  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Germany

Objection! wink
Les cinq doigts is works for beginners. The right hand always stays on the same keys.

Everything is possible, and nothing is sure.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fazioli Changes Over the Years
by Sleepingtiger. 01/22/19 11:07 AM
p515/clp685 vs cp88
by Jitin. 01/22/19 10:16 AM
Twinkle or Moonlight?
by MrsD. 01/22/19 04:16 AM
My LTCL Repetiore
by Jaguarinoff. 01/22/19 03:31 AM
Hailun & Room Size
by Katie-eights. 01/21/19 09:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,725
Posts2,784,650
Members92,193
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission