2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
54 members (c++, DigitalSpace, bwv872, Drthotho, Beowulf, anotherscott, 36251, crooow, 10 invisible), 497 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Playing the Avant Grandes & CLP585
#2314384 08/12/14 03:40 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Recently spent some time at Yamaha in London playing these, and my thoughts were: (I'm a reasonably serious classical pianist)

The sound of the CLP585 is definitely better than all the predecessors I've played, and if I was limited by budget, I'd definitely go for this over the other DP contenders.

The touch to my mind is unfortunately no better than the 480, and really stopped me considering this further... so I turned to the Avant Grandes and the NU1.

The NU1 clearly had the best sound engine, but whether it's snobbery or real playing constraints, I don't think I'd be happy with an upright action.

The N2/3 are again clearly ahead of the N1, mainly in terms of sound performance - the TSR or whatever it is on the N2/3 does present added value, but probably not enough alone to justify the price hikes over the N1. When you add in the sound performance (largely speaker performance I accept) I personally felt that the N2 presents the best option. After an hour on the N2, I crossed the room to play on a Yamaha C7 that happened to be up there. Maybe it was a poor example, but I can honestly say I preferred playing the N2.

So, with a house down-sizing in the offing, I shall try to sell my 3 yr old Kawai RX3 (anyone interested?), and hot-foot it back to London to buy the N2 (which is on offer at the moment).

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: Playing the Avant Grandes & CLP585
Chris Warren #2314398 08/12/14 05:16 AM
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
There has never been a moment since I've owned my N2 that I questioned my decision.

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
Chris Warren #2314405 08/12/14 06:02 AM
E
E
Hello
I have currently an N2 and a 575
I previoysly owned an NU1,
So I think I can also comment on your message.. grin
First: I love my N2, that is clear.
It has the best action I have ever played, better than any accoustic upright and any numeric (for me even Kawai with its top action is far behind)
Second: I really like my 575: it has a very good action (I like it) and a very good sound (via headphone, it is clearly superior to the N2, but not via the speaker)
Third: I can no more stand the NU1 action...
it is exactly like a B1 action...not really pleasant,
It is far from a good upright action for me (the U1 action I have tried are really better than the NU1)
But its sound was quite good indeed
Now...everything is a matter of personnal preference and goals.

But for sure, you will enjoy your N2
You can also improve more its sound by mixing it with external VST like I do (search for some post I have made on that topics)

Cheers and enjoy.

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
enzo.sandrolini #2314437 08/12/14 08:13 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As an owner of both an AvantGrand, a mid-priced Kawai DP, and a Yamaha C2X in the past three months here is my take on the discussion:

There are a LOT of good reasons to own something like an N2. Space, budget, or other requirements to name a few. From my time with the AG, the action and sound is far better than any DP I've played on, pretty much at any price.

However, an N2 will never be an acoustic replacement or facsimile for a properly tuned and regulated acoustic grand of reasonable quality IMHO.

You have to remember that the speakers on the N2 can't complete with my $600/pr Paradigm bookshelf speakers, nor can the amp compete with my mid-level Yamaha receiver.

Here is how I would put it. If you were to put a person in a room with a very good A/V system, and play a recording of a piano performance, and then play the same performance on a grand sitting right behind that person, I think it would be quite clear what the recording was and what the live performance was.

But as I said before, the N2 is a really nice DP that has a lot going for it.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Chris Warren #2314523 08/12/14 11:40 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Chris Warren

So, with a house down-sizing in the offing, I shall try to sell my 3 yr old Kawai RX3 (anyone interested?), and hot-foot it back to London to buy the N2 (which is on offer at the moment).

Can you share, via PM if preferred, what the offer price is? I then wonder to myself if they would keep to that price with a PX trade in that Yamaha also currently do. This forum is bad for GAS!

Chris Warren #2314838 08/13/14 04:27 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Sure - I think the current offer is around £9,100 incl. delivery within a limited radius of London. They will do PX, but they offered a silly price for my RX3 so I'll try to sell privately.

BrianDX #2314869 08/13/14 06:19 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BrianDX

...snip...
Here is how I would put it. If you were to put a person in a room with a very good A/V system, and play a recording of a piano performance, and then play the same performance on a grand sitting right behind that person, I think it would be quite clear what the recording was and what the live performance was.

Previous such "tests" have showed that even the "golden ears" folk can't tell the difference between tier one grands and even modest DPs - on SOUND ONLY.

Last edited by R_B; 08/13/14 06:20 AM.
R_B #2314881 08/13/14 06:57 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R_B

...snip...

Previous such "tests" have showed that even the "golden ears" folk can't tell the difference between tier one grands and even modest DPs - on SOUND ONLY.

Balderdash.

I've been plugged into the A/V community for 40+ years, and I know the differences that blind tests can reveal (like discerning a live instrument from a recorded one), and those they cannot (Differences with speaker wires for example).

If you really think that a person with normal hearing cannot discern the difference between the sound of a live grand in a room and a DP playing the sound of a live grand (using what are basically car speakers) then we must agree to disagree.

As I said before, the N2 is a great DP. But I've heard salesman push the AG series as "perfect" and "even better than the real thing". Total, utter nonsense.

P.S. The reason that I feel very strongly about this, is that I believed the sales hype and spend a lot of hard-earned money on the AG series. It was a VERY expensive mistake. Folks who are considering spending $10K+ on a DP should know what these instruments can do well, and what they cannot do.

Last edited by BrianDX; 08/13/14 07:02 AM.

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Chris Warren #2314908 08/13/14 08:19 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The living sound of a piano maybe almost impossible to simulate still, although I don't see why it might not happen in the future. A digital piano sounds 'potted', because only the optimum sounds have been captured.7

Even so, perhaps a recording of a perfectly tuned grand piano and a recording of a very fine DP (the best VST, for example) could be indistinguishable - both being played through speakers. In other words, a DP can arguably deliver the quality you'd get from an artist captured on record or CD, but not the experience of hearing a real piano at a close range in good listening conditions.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
BrianDX #2314915 08/13/14 08:32 AM
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R_B

...snip...

Balderdash.

I've been plugged into the A/V community for 40+ years, and I know the differences that blind tests can reveal (like discerning a live instrument from a recorded one), and those they cannot (Differences with speaker wires for example).

If you really think that a person with normal hearing cannot discern the difference between the sound of a live grand in a room and a DP playing the sound of a live grand (using what are basically car speakers) then we must agree to disagree.

As I said before, the N2 is a great DP. But I've heard salesman push the AG series as "perfect" and "even better than the real thing". Total, utter nonsense.

P.S. The reason that I feel very strongly about this, is that I believed the sales hype and spend a lot of hard-earned money on the AG series. It was a VERY expensive mistake. Folks who are considering spending $10K+ on a DP should know what these instruments can do well, and what they cannot do.
When I play my N2, I don't think it sounds like a real grand. What I think it kind of sounds like is being in a studio, playing a real grand and only hearing it through headphones. I'm not wearing headphones, but I can imagine my live sound this way. Of course it's still not the same, but is close enough when I factor in that I can't fit a grand or have enough money for the grand I'd buy, if I had the room smile

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
toddy #2315000 08/13/14 11:39 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toddy
The living sound of a piano maybe almost impossible to simulate still, although I don't see why it might not happen in the future. A digital piano sounds 'potted', because only the optimum sounds have been captured.7

Even so, perhaps a recording of a perfectly tuned grand piano and a recording of a very fine DP (the best VST, for example) could be indistinguishable - both being played through speakers. In other words, a DP can arguably deliver the quality you'd get from an artist captured on record or CD, but not the experience of hearing a real piano at a close range in good listening conditions.

I completely agree with this comment.

Having said that, I do not want to minimize the terrific sound quality of the N2. Once the volume is adjusted properly, it delivers the most accurate reproduction of a grand piano sound I have heard.

The same cannot be said for the N1.

Chris Warren #2315150 08/13/14 07:02 PM
T
T
Chris Warren, from a sound perspective, how would you rate the N2 versus the 585?

Chris Warren #2315418 08/14/14 09:42 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Chris Warren
The sound of the CLP585 is definitely better than all the predecessors I've played, and if I was limited by budget, I'd definitely go for this over the other DP contenders.

The touch to my mind is unfortunately no better than the 480, and really stopped me considering this further...

I would agree regarding the CLP-480 as I own one and it is well worth its price tag when you consider the only advantage to the AvantGrands is the action and other than that the CLP-480 is Yamaha's best digital, currently. I also own the older CLP-990M and it has equal sound and action.

The speakers are very good and the action is reasonable enough for any serious classical pianist as I believe there is no need to upgrade to another model as there are no major changes with the CLP-585.

And, here is a short demo at my CLP-480:

https://app.box.com/s/33352vxz78p98bvrojio

theoak #2315757 08/15/14 01:22 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I would rate the 585 and N2 equally on sound if you just compare notes without any dynamics/touch considerations.

36251 #2316588 08/17/14 01:53 PM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by 36251
Originally Posted by R_B

...snip...

Balderdash.

When I play my N2, I don't think it sounds like a real grand. What I think it kind of sounds like is being in a studio, playing a real grand and only hearing it through headphones. I'm not wearing headphones, but I can imagine my live sound this way. Of course it's still not the same, but is close enough when I factor in that I can't fit a grand or have enough money for the grand I'd buy, if I had the room smile

When ANYONE "Plays" ANY instrument they have an entirely different sensation to when they merely HEAR the sound of it.

Again, on a SOUND ONLY basis the golden ear blessed have been unable to distinguish "real" from "simulated".

R_B #2316961 08/18/14 01:11 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
R_B, there is a huge difference between a piano in the room (and I mean an acoustic piano) and a recording of a piano played back from a sound system. You are talking about the latter, not the former. A *recorded* piano may be difficult to distinguish from a DP. But an actual piano in the room is an entirely different matter, as Brian already pointed out.

maurus #2316971 08/18/14 01:40 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by maurus
R_B, there is a huge difference between a piano in the room (and I mean an acoustic piano) and a recording of a piano played back from a sound system. You are talking about the latter, not the former. A *recorded* piano may be difficult to distinguish from a DP. But an actual piano in the room is an entirely different matter, as Brian already pointed out.

My point exactly.

Chris Warren #2317203 08/19/14 05:44 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
...and your belief is that a DP is NOT a "recorded piano" ?

R_B #2317212 08/19/14 06:05 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by R_B
...and your belief is that a DP is NOT a "recorded piano" ?

It maybe impossible to tell the difference between a system where a traditional piano is captured by microphones and reproduced on a high quality sound system [a recording of a piano], and a system where each note has been recorded at various levels and re-triggered by a player in performance through a similar sound reproduction system [a DP].

The live experience of playing, or just listening to, a traditional piano is, still, quite a different thing. It is not yet reproducible in virtual reality, though we're getting closer.

This is all anyone is saying. I thought that's what you were saying, too, as a matter of fact.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Chris Warren #2317330 08/19/14 12:10 PM
K
K
Owning an N1, I have to echo what others have already stated. Playing the N1 using the speaker system, it sounds like you listening to a recording of a piano - not an actual piano. I guess there is no substitute for a real acoustic...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DGX-660: A key in a style playing wrong...
by Kruiser_56 - 11/28/20 09:23 PM
Photorelation - Complete piano disassembly, Yamaha P-155
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/28/20 08:41 PM
Interval recognition
by Sebs - 11/28/20 08:01 PM
Disklavier DKC-850 connect to Laptop?
by carlspost - 11/28/20 07:14 PM
Disklavier DKC-850 connect to Laptop?
by carlspost - 11/28/20 07:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,113
Posts3,028,283
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission