2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, ChrisGoesPiano, bluebilly, Christopher90, Dariusz D, Deltajockey, 11 invisible), 531 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
And some 30's:

39. Copper – Morning – Well, between you and Grieg it was indeed morning. The sun coming up over low hills, their shadows receding as it gets higher, the first stirrings for breakfast in the farm houses. Very nice.

37. Swiss Ms/Doris – Samba Lele – How cool! You’ve got a good handle on the rhythm here, and there’s a lot going on when the rh is doing its little filigrees. I’m just doing my first piece with kind of a Latin feel and it’s taking a little time to start hearing/feeling where everything goes. Well done!

35. wjf – Blue Bossa – Very cool feel to it, but a nice pulse thru it all. Very lyrical and well-played. Congrats on your first ABF recital.

34. Ganddalf – Bruremarsj – I was really looking forward to this because I’ve danced to a lot of hardangar fiddle music. I played a little portable pump organ with some fiddlers on some Norwegian tunes, and it was wonderful. You captured some of that feel here, that haunting beauty of them. Very nice.

33. Andy Platt – Sonata – Our motto in the band was “D*mn, we’re not as bad as we used to be” laugh so I know how you feel. Actually, this was very charming, a delicate feel. I like this era of music, the sort of endless round feel of it. I’m impressed with your abilities here, and to have most of it memorized, so it hangs together in your head. Very nice.

32. Richard (zrtf90) – Warum? A very polished performance, you’re so comfortable with this. I like the kind of wistfulness, the care-taking feel, like you’re engrossed in it. And you bring in the bass very well. Nice going, Richard!

Looks like I still have some great music to come, so I hope to finish listening tomorrow.

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 08/15/14 11:55 PM.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Having a great time listening to all the pieces but actually will have to do some practice at some point today. A few thoughts:

01. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - To Zanarkand thanks for the kind works on my piece and yes I hope to play Chopin again in another recital. Your own playing is quite remarkable; the overall ability to control and play such a complex piece with so little experience is a great indication you have a very bright future. I wish you luck in your next ambitious piece but suspect you do not need it.

02. earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20 I’ve already told you what I think!

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World The first acoustic piano of the recital and I am blown away with the power and sound. Always a delight to hear you play and I loved the opening but when the piece opened up it was heavenly. You should be protecting those precious hands instead of construction work.

04. ladypayne - How Deep the Father's Love for Us What a gift to be able to arrange music to this level. Very heartfelt piece played with aplomb.

05. AZ_Astro - Troubador A year in maturation shows, this sounded effortless. Everything about it was just perfect for a great listening experience.

06. sinophilia (Diana) - Minuet from Serenade no. 1 Op. 183 thanks for your kind words on my piece sinophillia, it is only the keeper of the money in our house stopping me from having an acoustic but I am working on it. I always look forward to your submissions for the continual improvement is clear to hear. Despite your misgivings this was beautifully played and my initial thought was you have made another definite leap in ability. I see no reason after a few listens to change that thought.

07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose As always I am impressed with those who can write, arrange and execute their works. This is professional stuff I could imagine people paying for.

08. CarlosCC - Discovery at Night CarlosCC, this piece grabbed me from the first time I heard the CD and is a favourite of mine. So I was easily won over by your choice but unprepared for such a masterful interpretation. I had to go and listen to the original and I hear nuances in your playing that move me just as much, if not more. Easy to see why this genre and this composer in particular is a strong favourite.

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) Such research and work just to get your piece to the piano is admirable. This was a fascinating insight into a composer I have had little contact with. Always an engaging pianist to listen to, again you set a very high bar.

10. George Schiro - Dissonance I could not hear the warts lol, just someone who knew exactly what they were doing and doing it extremely well.

11. ajames - Old French Melody having a piece mature under your fingers is very satisfying. This isn’t an easy piece for only 13 months. It has a couple of technical challenges I remember having great difficulty with and never got to flow as well as you have here. A very good performance and I don’t think it will be long before we are hearing longer works from you, although short and sweet are good too.

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation) got sucked into listening to two submissions lol. I am with you on this one, more Peyton is better than less. But just to be clear that is a fine bit of piano improvisation going on there.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
I had been so looking forward to hear all the recitals.. I am out of town since last night.

A few minutes ago I had a chance to hear only one song..

ShiroKuro: I really enjoyed your piece from Einaudi.

I cannot wait to hear the rest..

All of you are an inspiration for a beginner like me. I hope someday I am ready to summon the courage and share a piece in future recital.

To the past, current, and future participant of PW Recital: Bravo!!!

Last edited by pdxfz1; 08/16/14 01:38 AM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I may have to write off my practice regime today I just can't stop listening to you guys:

50. jotur/Cathy Turner - I'ts Been A Long, Long Time I really enjoyed reading the story of your progress and best of luck for that first paying gig. The piece itself was a delight to listen to and although not quite my era, (although I might qualify that and say it is timeless), left me grinning from pleasure.

51. MandyD - Beauty and the Beast I am pleased you made it into the submission and got over your technical recording problem. Three months isn’t long and these are early days so just getting here is impressive. I remember (not that long ago) a two minute piece was asking a lot so clocking in at 2.41 and maintaining musicality is an achievement in itself. You are on the right track so keep doing what you are doing.

52. carlos88 - Preludes, Book 2: Dead Leaves Your end of summer is my end of winter and on a cold rainy night this is very apt listening. It sounds remarkably difficult to play and control a piece like this, well done. I am even more impressed with your mission to learn all the Debussy Preludes, no easy feat.

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n. 4 Toccata Great you managed to get to play a good piano for this and the recording isn’t nearly as bad as you had eluded to. The confidence of your playing is very impressive and was a great delight to listen to.

54. Ohio_Mark - Schumann_Op68_2_5 Nice playing Ohio Mark, both pieces sounded really firm under your fingers with no hint of any preceding problems. The extra time on the pieces that aren’t quite ready will make them all the better when we hear them in future recitals.

55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon I think you have used “this is one of the easy ones” excuse before lol. However every three months you bring out a fairly longish piece and make it look easy, all the time sounding brilliant. There is now an expectation of a high level performance, I was not disappointed this time around either.

56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road A song I have heard all my life and hold in high regard as one of the best Beatle songs, perhaps even one of the best songs of a generation. When done well it never fails to tug at my heart strings and your version achieves that which is a very intimate experience, thankyou.

57. Greener / Jeff Green - Badinerie Your submissions are generally more polished so I get your point about it not in its final form. None the less new Bach pieces to me are always a great revelation but this one is telling me I will never be ready for this.

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche Call this “flying by the seat of your pants”? I call it breathtaking. This is another high quality submission from yourself, the piece working so well because the smallest details are given the necessary attention.

59. TX- Bluebonnet (Linda) - The Yellow Rose of Texas Glad you made it to the recital. For two months this is excellent progress with a lovely balance of the hands beginners often struggle to achieve. As a relative beginner myself I am reminded of all the promise that can be heard in a first recital piece. So perhaps listening as a teacher might, I hear your progress and can’t wait to hear the next instalment in your journey.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow - Beautifully played Ed - a real joy to listen to - I like many of the Dan Coates arrangements also (working on one for the next Recital myself) - your playing on this is both delicate and masterful and evokes perfectly the spirit and essence of this great old standard thumb

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Next batch:

11. ajames - Old French Melody You brought out the definite Russian flair to this. Excellent job for the short time you have playing.

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation) Wonderful embellishment of this Jann Tierson piece. Your version is so rich and full. It sounds like you had a lot of fun with it. The recording quality is excellent as well.

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 I like this better without pedal as well. Your legato is very nice, and I like your steady rhythm treatment of the piece. I admire you for doing it in one take!

14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow I love the uplifting quality of this Dan Coates arrangement! He does indeed use the whole keyboard, but you expressed the melody beautifully over the busy accompaniment. Very sensitively played.

15. dynamobt/Marilyn - Prelude in d minor No 6 WTC Book I Oh, this is my nemesis. I fought with this a couple of years ago and will get back to it someday. You did a wonderful job balancing and shaping the voices, which I know is not easy on this piece! Great job!

16. 8 Octaves - Sonatina in F Major, 1st Mvmt. I love this cheerful little piece. You gave it the jaunty feeling it needs. You had a nice balance between the RH and LH voices, and nice dynamics. Good for you to do this in one take!

17. JimF - Its All in the Game You really sing the piece, pacing it nicely. The melody is well projected over the rich accompaniment. Very nice.

18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair OK, I love the video. That dog has you well trained. You did a beautiful job of bringing out the joy in this expressive piece, giving it life. It sounded perfect.

19. noobpianist90 - Mazurka in A minor Op. 67 No. 4 Another one take performance, and a really nice one! This is my first introduction to this Mazurka, but it sounds like you have an excellent handle on it. Nice, sensitive interpretation.

20. barbaram - Bach Invention No. 8 Nice balance between the voices, bringing each out in turn. Excellent job for only 15 months back at the piano!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another batch....jumping around a bit.

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor Some people make playing difficult baroque music sound effortless, just like this submission. The portato (quarters?) in the bass sounded just perfect to me, the right length, slightly detached, and so nicely balanced. Very nice.

24. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Little Suite Loved the pictures and the playing, Cheryl. It isn't easy to change gears liked you needed to in each of these little gems. Great job getting these done during your very busy summer. I think they would sound even better recorded without the silent function.

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera") Your passion for this music really shines, Trapper. And I really appreciate your extended write-up...makes it easy to follow the musical story which you have created. Super.

26. dpaws - Searchlight Rag Really enjoyed this rag, which I'd not heard before. Your rhythm sense is so rock solid. Just watching all the stride work with your left wore me out. Bravo.

27. Mohan Karthik - Gallop (Original) you had the melody really singing on this composition. Nice job. Lots of energy.

28. RedKat - Manha de Carnaval I love this tune and you play it with great expression and musicality. Nice phrasing on the melody. Good job on this beautiful piece.

Standchen-FScubert/FLiszt arr.
Tristan y Isolde -Wagner(arr.)
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Another great recital, folks. My thanks again to Monica and all who contributed.

02. Earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20
Beautiful! To me this has always been one of the most perfect of all short piano pieces. You played it with impeccable control and powerful feeling. Remarkable for less than two years at the piano!

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World
Well done! The unusual harmonies in this song have always fascinated me; my hat is off to you for figuring them all out by ear, that is no mean feat. Spirited improv in the middle section, I really enjoyed it.

07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose
Russ, that was terrific; sophisticated but kind of tender and sad! The song reminds me of something, not sure what, perhaps Exodus. Great voicings throughout, and excellent lines articulated above them!

09. Wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68)
Wonderful, spirited playing, quite impressive! You really convey the gypsy dance feeling well. For some reason I have always been obsessed with Bartok's music, though I have never tried to play his piano pieces. BTW, there is a fascinating movie called After the Storm: The American Exile of Béla Bartók, which I watched recently on Netflix, about the man and his music

10. George Schiro - Dissonance
Wow, those chords do have a nice bite that propels the music forward with a lot of energy. Very spirited, sets up an expectation that we are on our way to something that may turn out well - - - or maybe not. Well done!

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation)
Beautifully done. Lots and lots of notes in both hands at a fast tempo, but all very precisely played and with excellent tone and dynamics. I envy your technique. And yeah, I'm for the improv version!

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846
Beautiful . That has always been high on my list of greatest melodies of all time, I love it, and you performed it with excellent technique and real feeling. BTW, the Coursera music theory course (discussed in another thread) concludes with a performance of this piece on a harpsichord, and an harmonic analysis of it.

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3 What a sad, searching piece. I did not hear any struggles with the big chords, and you maintained the balance between the melody and accompaniment very well. Nicely played.

22. WimPiano - Schumann - Op. 68 No. 3 - Trallerliedchen (Humming Song) What a nice precursor to the Schumann Themed recital. You have a good feel for this piece already. Very nice progress for 10 months.

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor I don’t know about Handel being less demanding than Bach. There is a lot going on here. You have a lovely balance between voices, and I like the light pedal to give the piece more softness. Wonderful playing.

24. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Little Suite This little suite does offer a lot of variety. The three contrasting movements would each challenge you in different ways. You have made great progress on it, and it sounds like you had fun with it. Nice job.

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera") Very dramatically played! I struggled with those chromatic chord progressions when I learned this one. They roll off your fingers easily. Lots of fun.

26. dpaws - Searchlight Rag A nice relaxed take on this rag. It makes me think of taking a paddle wheel down the Missouri River from Hannibal, MO. Your “cranky” piano fits the mood perfectly. Very competently played.

27. Mohan Karthik - Gallop (Original) Nice composition! It does remind me of galloping a horse across a field. Well done!

28. RedKat - Manha de Carnaval Very nice Latin piece, with a soulful melody and rich harmony. I like your phrasing, and the subdued accompaniment.

29. Allard - Dream of the Forgotten Child Beautifully played! You project a lot of emotion in this. Watching your video, your hands look much more relaxed than when I saw you play at EPP1. Congrats!

30. Mar_red - Polish Roads / Dreamy Lullaby - Medley If your playing and recording are not perfect, they are very close to it! This is a beautiful medley. I liked your Segway between pieces as well.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
17. JimF - Its All in the Game - smooth and easy and relaxing - and emotion evoking - music to make slow, soft, gentle love to...

"Then he'll kiss your lips,
And caress your waiting finger tips,
And your heart will fly away."

Very nicely done Jim!

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
P
P
Jayden (Jayden Traynor) 01

Wow this sounds awesome really good for your 7 months playing. Well impressed and can tell you are passionate about the song too. Never heard the original but the song sounds haunting and is something I would like to learn and play.

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair - Seems you have the essence of this Debussy piece. Good touch and tone. Nicely done. Maybe a bit more work polishing the video though. smile

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor - Well played! Neat articulation and left/right hand synchronization. No clunks. Excellent voicing. Just a few hesitations, but generally fantastic job. Handel is not easy at all.

31. (Was)TrueBeginner - Tender Memories - Sorry about your dad's passing. Thanks for sharing the melodies you wrote for the last and this recital. Good stuff!

47. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31, No. 2, 3rd mvmt - You're right that the tempo is a bit too safe for this, but you have all the essentials down, so perhaps a bit more in your fingers and you could get it up to the proper speed. Nice dynamics. Left hands at times too overbearing, otherwise nice job. Such an accomplishment to be able to play this. Some of your phrasing is superb then certain themes for left hands become very rough, need more work. It's work in progress, you're so close. A third movement from a Beethoven sonata is like reaching the peak of the mountain.

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n. 4 Toccata - Awesome. You did Kabalevsky proud. Strong technique and nicely done. I enjoyed it.

55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon - Very moody, emotional playing. Only a small mishap soon forgotten in the sea of chords. Perhaps a little less pedal for a bit cleaner sound. Very effective use of crescendo for the coda. Nice.

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche - Ocean waves slashing against the rocky shore where the flowers bloom near the coastline of Carmel California on Highway 1, flowing, winding, a good day. I have taken this drive, know what it looks like, now I know what it sounds like.

Everyone - Everyone deserves a big applause for the time and dedication in making all these pieces come alive. I listened to each and every single submission, just great. I'm not able to comment on every piece of music in the recital, and the ones I commented on, I did so sincerely without any intention of criticism. Thanks for sharing your music.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
And some 20's:

29. Allard – Dream – You play with great assurance and confidence, which leads to musicality and feeling in this piece. Well done.

26. dpaws – Searchlight Rag – How wonderful! You are so “in tune” with the technical requirements of this rag, and play with precision. Your rhythm and pulse are right on. I loved it.

25. Trapper John – Phantom – One of your specialties, and a good one. Very dramatic, and well-played.

24. casinitaly (Cheryl) – Little Suite – I love the second one – sort of processional, like graduations and weddings. I’m with others – I don’t know how you did this with so little time this summer. I’m fighting the time/emotional drain of busyness, and if you have hints I’d welcome them. These were terrific.

22. WimPiano – Trallerliedchen – Delightful! Nice flow throughout, and delicately played.

20. barbaram – Invention – There’s never too much Bach  This was terrific. You had such a nice balance between the voices, so that they were both heard simultaneously and sounded beautifully. Brava!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
These recitals are always a bit of a drain on our time. They're fabulous to listen to but if the comments don't come within a certain time-frame they seem to lack much of the impact that's generated while the recital is still fresh. I'll add what I can while I get the opportunity.

01. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - To Zanarkand
35. wjf - Blue Bossa
41. Tom Christian - Minuet in G, BWV Anhang 116
43. AndrewJCW - Scarborough Almonds
45. paul1971 - The Entertainer
46. BrianDX - Parasailing
48. jamie_vt - Allegretto from Symphony No 7
49. EnGee - Overture - The Marriage of Figaro
51. MandyD - Beauty and the Beast
59. TX- Bluebonnet (Linda) - The Yellow Rose of Texas
Welcome to all of you making your debuts in the recitals. You play an important role in these affairs and you always seem to raise the bar for entry. I don't remember a recital where the newcomers haven't surprised us with the standard of their playing or their bottle for submitting and this one is no exception. It's great also to hear an alternative instrument. I suspect it's actually harder to duplicate the sound of a harpsichord than a piano, they always seems so thin and lacking in body on a digital, but whenever I hear a real harpsichord it makes me want to play one.

47. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31, No. 2, 3rd mvmt
Another welcome but this one for someone more familiar with recitals and clearly not in need of an appraisal from me. Very well done, Paul.

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World
07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose
08. CarlosCC - Discovery at Night
12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation)
14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow
18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair
23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor
25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera")
34. Ganddalf - Bruremarsj etter Myllarguten (Op.72 no 8)
36. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 8 'Pathetique' in C minor, mvmt 3
50. jotur/Cathy Turner - I'ts Been A Long, Long Time
55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon
Always among the first performers I go to when the recitals open and always a pleasure to listen to. Where the newcomers provide fresh blood you provide the backbone, the inspiration for the rest of us, giving us an idea of the diversity we can choose from and how far we may be able to reach, whatever sphere takes our fancy.

You are all so good at your own thing, you play with passion and integrity and your personalities come through. These performances add depth to your posts in the forum, help us build a picture of you and make it more real when we interact with you in the conversations. Thanks for giving us something of yourselves.

02. earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20
This is a very thoughtful and intelligent performance. I often find myself saying much the same thing about many of your posts. I think you have good future with this instrument.

05. AZ_Astro - Troubador
George's work is not as easy as first listen might indicate and he has a quite unique sound when he plays himself. This has benefitted from the time you've spent with it and the little foibles that sound great when you first learn a piece but lose their novelty as it matures in your fingers have mellowed out to make the whole thing very even.

06. sinophilia (Diana) - Minuet from Serenade no. 1 Op. 183
You're making great progress on the piano, Diana, and your approach is very attentive and considered. There are little things that would have been picked up by a teacher but you play with such verve and listen closely enough that these things will be picked up yourself as you gain experience anyway. This is a nice piece and it suits you very well.

11. ajames - Old French Melody
Another piece that's improved over time. There's a sense of a piece being finished when it's been with you a while - and I've taken advantage of this with my own submissions of late. A very accurate performance for your experience despite the extra time and you have a nice touch on the instrument. This performance is good enough to inspire someone else just as Recardeo's did you.

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846
And yet another piece that's matured. I don't know what you mean by the notes popping. I play this with only those upper notes giving a syncopated and percussive tapping above a more subdued accompaniment. This is a very difficult piece to keep in good time but the extra time playing it has been of use to you. I would prefer a greater contrast between the tense moments and the points of relaxation in both dynamics and tempo, maybe twist the knife a bit more in the dominant pedal passage, but you've done enough here to show that you know where they are.

15. dynamobt/Marilyn - Prelude in d minor No 6 WTC Book I
A fabulous performance full of vigour and deliberation. There were moments where it felt like you had a tiger by its tail around the forty second mark and briefly again around a minute but mostly this was well within you and you've a fine command of the separate voices.

If I were to be finicky, though I have no right to be, I would ask where you thought the climax was and to mark it more in how well you built up to it and came down from it.

17. JimF - Its All in the Game
It's nice to see you becoming more regular in the recitals, Jim. This is a nice gentle piece played with careful tenderness and bringing out the melody very nicely - as well as the bass on that Estonia. Wonderful.

20. barbaram - Bach Invention No. 8
This is very well played. There's such a lot of control here, even in the treacherous passage, M21-23, that it will stay with you as long as you continue to practise with that much care. Have you chosen to play with the modern touch rather than the default detached articulation of the time? It hasn't detracted from the lightness or precision either way so well done on that front.

As it is uncharacteristic I'm not sure if it's a slip or a misreading - it's always difficult to tell in a recording - but I might draw your attention to the penultimate note in case it's the latter.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
57. Greener / Jeff Green - Badinerie
Jeff, since you asked(!): there are patches here that show you have all the necessaries. This is just a bit rushed for the show. It's just not a piece you've nurtured and worked on for a long time before presenting it at either its best or your own. It's a genuine and honest work in progress - and it's showing promise.

Before getting on to your performance, this is not written for piano so the first thing I would do is download the original orchestral score before starting work on this and get very familiar with the differences. You must then decide whether you want to play Bach or Raff. I think I know where you'd go so take a look at M8 and M10 and ask yourself how important it is to make grace notes out of the accompaniment.

There will also be times when the music is written for too many instruments than you have fingers and something has to give (and I do this a fair bit with Haydn's string quartets). The most obvious thing in a string quartet is to get rid of the second violin - the very name is suggestive of redundancy - but there are other considerations; it may the stretch from bass to viola part that's making it difficult while the second violin may be 'just' double thirds. In the Badinerie you have a whole gamut of voices to choose from.

Neither the Bass, the Cello nor the Cembalo (LH) are doing anything individual so use any one of those three as your left hand and use the flute as your right hand. Listening to the orchestral version there's very little interfering with the flute as far as to and fro phrases are concerned so when there's any interaction at all, as in MM6-10 it's all in the bass. Get the right hand loose and light and that melody screwed down before adding anything in the right hand. Get the bass down too and then get them working together. Only when you've got these down ask yourself if there's anything in the accompaniment that needs to reinforce the harmony for key changes etc. I'd look at the cembalo RH before anywhere else and consider adding extra notes to LH rather than impede a clear melody. I'd even change a Bass note for a more important chord note (like a third for a fifth if I needed to show a harmonic shift).

Raff has added too much (for my liking) to the RH but has done better in M13-16. It detracts too much from the lightness of the melody. My first job would be to make the whole thing more like M13 throughout. The spread chord in M15 is too Romantic for Bach and compromises the melody too much. This piece needs short precision not long phrasing. My advice would be to compromise the harmony before compromising the melody.

You're missing important melody notes in M1 and similar but not in the second half; the second pair of semiq's in the phrase, the first pair in M1. Get these back in.

As to the uneven tempo, it's mostly as a result of battling the unfamiliarity at present. You've got a good balance between the hands, the melody is coming through very well. I'd go so far as to say you'd have done a better job using just your ear than this particular transcription but your reading is still good for the time you've been doing it.

Richard
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm receiving some really generous comments on my Bach piece. You know who you are as far as who said what. I'm terrible with plugging into a comment other comments. I'm going to listen hard, Richard, to find that climax!! It's true that as of now, I'm not sure where it is.

Thought I'd get to listening more today. House chores needed my attention. Hope to get to the rest of the recital tomorrow.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
13 Plowboy. Nice work, man. This HSS Bach's trademark relentlessness about it. Like an Ice Road Trucker. . .nuthin's gonna stop him. Enjoyed this interpretation.

14. Riddler. Great sound Ed with steady depth and good reverb. Disney quality to it, one can imagine that annoying Judy Garland doin' her stuff. Intricate work carried out wonderfully well.

15. Dynamobt. Bach marked for excellent piano practice and this is excellent. Not easy is it? Diminished and augmented chords abound and you got the lot!

16. 8Octaves. Sounds like my ole grand from years back (wife's actually). Your tempo seemed good to me and sounded really well. One take? I wish. . .well done you!

17. Jim F. Remember this well, breast song with a solid bass in this arrgt which you do justice to. There is depth to this timeless classic which was also recorded by Cliff Richard. Betta shut up now. . .

18. Peterws. Dunno if The Bitch deflected attention from this most elegant piece, but l did a better recording earlier. Unfortunately, it also contained more mistakes ( shrug)

19. Noobpianist. A real feel for this music is on display here. Good to hear. Refined and really easy on the ear with good phrasing and fiddly bits. Casio and Software piano is an unbeatable combo, able to take on the best IMO.

20. Barbaram. Rh melody, Lh melody both played together. Typical Bach which makes his work so vaslusble to anyone willing to pursue perfection. Also good to drive to, a viable alternative to The Who or Quo. Nobody would fall asleep to this. Loads of life and an excellent job done.

21. Auto. Damn Google! Hate it. Another guy with a dodgy thumb! This is a most pleasant tune with a comfortable feel to it. You play with assurance and feeling. Well done!

22. Wimpiano. We all appreciate Schumann more because of the themed recital. Just bought "Scenes from Childhood" You played most steadily and melodiously. Another one for your collection.

23. Timmyab. A most wonderful light touch you have here, so fluid and accomplished. Your piano sounds like it was made for this. Lovely. I wish. . .

24. CasinItsly. Great bid of s lovely place. A delightful triple piece with a happy infectious feel to it. I have been infected!

Terrific stuff laydees and gentlemen's . . .bye!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
And, the teens:

21. outo – Souvenir - I liked this a lot, the quietness, the ending bass and timing. Well played.

19. noobpianist90 – Mazurka – How beautiful. Light, airy, chime-like. You did a nice job here.

18. peterws/peter – Girl with Hair – This is high level interpretation, Peter – very well thought out and played. Just the kind of dreaminess someone in love would have.

17. JimF – It’s all in the Game – oh wow, I have to put this in my repertoire. So cool. You want to come and sit in for me in one of my gigs? This is great.

16. 8 Octaves – Sonatina – Excellent! Nice articulation for the liveliness of this piece, and the phrasing kept it from being just a lot of notes. I liked it.

15. dynamobt/Marilyn – Prelude – Whew! This was great! I loved it! Several times in it I raised my eyebrows in appreciation of the technique. And the interpretation! I could hear everything, and it was engrossing. Wowzer.

14. Riddler (Ed) – Over the Rainbow – I’m working on this, because it just seems like a necessary part of my repertoire. My brother played Jeff Beck’s version of this at my mother’s burial. This was a great arrangement and you did a lovely job with it, letting the melody just float over the frills.

12. Peyton – Mother’s Journey – Another Wow! You have a great feel for this – if I tried it it would have no coherence at all. But you have a wonderful interpretation. well done.

Cathy

Cathy
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Ok today I am definitely going to get some decent practice in, but first:

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 Quite a deceptive piece to get right and play well especially without peddle. Loved your dynamics throughout and the gentle swell towards the close did what it always does, lifts my spirit.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow You are right about this being a fantastic arrangement although it sounds daunting. But you play so well all notion of difficulty is forgotten as we concentrate on the fabulous and timeless melody.

15. dynamobt/Marilyn - Prelude in d minor No 6 WTC Book I Fabulous playing, loved the spirit of the piece and the sound of your piano in particular. Four repeat listens is testament I really enjoyed it.

16. 8 Octaves - Sonatina in F Major, 1st Mvmt. I am learning this Sonatina at the moment (seems impossible for now) so I have listened to it many times. Apart from the tempo issue this is a lovely clean performance, all notes very crisp, of what is quite a challenging technical piece. Well done.

17. JimF - Its All in the Game If this is your average day then forgive me for being jealous. Such a memorable piece given an impressive arrangement and with your lovely touch is a joy to listen to.

18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair I have been learning this one recently and I know every note, rolled chord and nuance of the piece well (pity I can’t play it). I have to say this is way up there with some of the best renditions I have heard. For an extra bonus at end of the excellent video I took the links and viewed again some of your earlier works such as “contemplation”, “Me a bike and a piano”, really great stuff.

19. noobpianist90 - Mazurka in A minor Op. 67 No. 4 I can tell why you were captivated by this piece, it has a very distinct charm. Nicely played and little hint it is not complete as it flows so well.

20. barbaram - Bach Invention No. 8 I have seen this one written as one of the most difficult of the inventions (they are all hard to me). With such a short time having returned to piano this is exceptionally good.

21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3 No one ever appears to be satisfied with their recital entry, always room for improvement if only more time. However I could not hear any unevenness and really enjoyed listening to this piece over and over. Not the type of piece that I would play but I really enjoyed being an audience for this one.

22. WimPiano - Schumann - Op. 68 No. 3 - Trallerliedchen (Humming Song) I am yet to hear most of Album for the Young having only dabbled with it but this was a lovely previously unheard treat. Great playing for only 10 months and your piano sound was perfect to my ears.

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor Very solid performance and perhaps one of my favourites so far. There is just something magical about this piece that I love so thanks for sharing.

24. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Little Suite I had considered playing a Gurlitt piece I have been learning this recital and had noted he had never appeared before. I don’t know why that is, obviously he is underrated, so congratulations on being the first to share one of his marvellous little gems with us.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Alright, I finally got a chance to listen to all the recital pieces. I took a stab at commenting on each one. So from the perspective of someone fairly new to the piano and knowing next to nothing about music...

01. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - To Zanarkand I can't believe you've only been playing 7 months. Really enjoyed listening to it.

02. earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20 Congrats on overcoming your psychological barrier. This piece sounds very dignified to me.

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World Got me swaying to the music in this one, all calm and lazy, then it suddenly took off and had my full attention with all this energy, then back to the calm and lazy feeling. Loved it.

04. ladypayne - How Deep the Father's Love for Us I don't know if pretty can be applied to a song, but that's what I'm calling this.

05. AZ_Astro - Troubador I really like this, very nice.

06. sinophilia (Diana) - Minuet from Serenade no. 1 Op. 183 I'm not familiar with Romantic music yet, but after listening to this lovely piece that's going to change.

07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose I envy those who can improvise. I thought it was great.

08. CarlosCC - Discovery at Night A pleasure to listen to, didn't want it to end. What does it mean to add color?

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) Wow, I didn't know I'd like this style of music! I hope you had as much fun playing these pieces as I had listening to them.

10. George Schiro - Dissonance I had no idea rough edges and warts could sound so nice.

11. ajames - Old French Melody I agree with you about the melody line being graceful and strong. I just wished it was longer.

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation) The improv version is nice but, same as your wife, I prefer the as-written one better. However, I do prefer the slightly slower tempo of the improv piece. At least it seemed a bit slower to me.

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 Lovely. And the video montage was great as well.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow I'm glad you perservered, otherwise we wouldn't have this awesome piece to listen to. I like everything about it.

15. dynamobt/Marilyn - Prelude in d minor No 6 WTC Book I Yep, I enjoyed it. Very much so.

16. 8 Octaves - Sonatina in F Major, 1st Mvmt. Very nice! I was curious to hear what this piece sounded like at a faster tempo, so I listened to a few on youtube. I can honestly say, I prefer the tempo you played it at.

17. JimF - Its All in the Game I love melodies, and this was no exception.

18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair I thought it was very expressive. Cute dog in the video.

19. noobpianist90 - Mazurka in A minor Op. 67 No. 4 This is a work in progress? I'm not qualified to offer a critique, but I can tell you that I enjoyed listening to it.

20. barbaram - Bach Invention No. 8 I'd say your enjoyment in playing this piece comes through in the music.

21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3 What an interesting piece. Nice!

22. WimPiano - Schumann - Op. 68 No. 3 - Trallerliedchen (Humming Song) Doesn't seem like that easy of a piece to me. I just hope I can make something like this sound as nice as you did after only 10 months of playing.

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor A pleasure to listen to. (As an aside, I got a chuckle out of this: "I like a bit of Handel. Lighter than Back and less demanding." I don't know why but it sounds to me like you're describing a beer.)

24. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Little Suite I loved it, especially the first movement. And the vacation photos were a treat to look at.

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera") Thanks to all that additional info you provided, it had me listening intently to every note, which was a great experience and made me appreciate it more than if I didn't know anything about the piece.

26. dpaws - Searchlight Rag This piece put me in a happy place. I must be mistake-deaf because I don't hear all these so-called imperfections people keep mentioning. (Unless they're my own, of course.)

27. Mohan Karthik - Gallop (Original) Lovely, to me it feels sort of bright and dreamy at the same time.

28. RedKat - Manha de Carnaval Another really enjoyable piece that I didn't want to end.

29. Allard - Dream of the Forgotten Child Listening to this piece while watching you play was mezmorizing. BTW, I also really like the lighting in you video.

30. Mar_red - Polish Roads / Dreamy Lullaby - Medley Happy 20th recital! Both pieces had me fully engaged from beginning to final note.

31. (Was)TrueBeginner - Tender Memories What a beautiful composition, and played so tenderly, brought tears to my eyes.

32. Richard (zrtf90) - Warum? This piece appeals to me in so many ways, just so lovely to listen to.

33. Andy Platt - Sonata in D Minor, K.213 I enjoyed this piece. It "shine"ed for me, as is.

34. Ganddalf - Bruremarsj etter Myllarguten (Op.72 no 8) Speaking as someone who has a very unsophisticated musical ear, I don't necessarily hear despair and anger, but more a feeling of wistfulness instead. In any case, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

35. wjf - Blue Bossa I haven't heard your earlier version, but I can say I like this one very much, it's so smooth.

36. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 8 'Pathetique' in C minor, mvmt 3 Awesome performance! /standing ovation

37. SwissMS/Doris - Samba Lele That looks like a lot of fun to play. I know I had fun listening to it.

38. Sand Tiger - Pixie Dust That had an interesting sound to it which I think added some extra liveliness to the piece. Makes me want to experiment with different piano sounds.

39. Copper - Morning Light and airy plus a sprinkling of darker chords, sounds wonderful.

40. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Addio, fiorito asil So that "easy" stuff can be sight read, just like that? Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the ground.

41. Tom Christian - Minuet in G, BWV Anhang 116 Seriously, only 9 month? Loved both the sound and your playing.

42. MaryBee - Magnetic Rag I kept telling my feet to stop tapping along to the beat, but they wouldn't listen!!

43. AndrewJCW - Scarborough Almonds Too short. I really enjoyed this (too short) piece. So absolutely lovely, it really pulls the listener in. Well, it did for me, anyway. But it's not perfect. You know why? That's right, because it's too short!!!

44. LadyAugustina - Bratja/Brothers Great music and video combo. Hope you'll find time to get something new up for the next recital.

45. paul1971 - The Entertainer Boy, you really need to give your inner voice a talking to. There's nothing even remotely terrible about this piece. Quite the opposite in fact! And kudos for being able to play this so well after only 9 months.

46. BrianDX - Parasailing What an interesting arrangement. And your playing of it was a delight to listen to. I ended up playing 4 or 5 times because once was not nearly enough. So I'd say you should feel more than just "pretty good" about this piece.

47. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31, No. 2, 3rd mvmt I'm guessing "perpetuum mobile" translates to perpetual motion, which this piece does feel like. I like it.

48. jamie_vt - Allegretto from Symphony No 7 I wouldn't have guessed someone could get back into playing the piano this quickly after being away from it for so long. Very nice.

49. EnGee - Overture - The Marriage of Figaro Hey, didn't you say you were going to be playing "Jingle Bells"? I'll try to find it in me to forgive you for the bait and switch. As for what you did submit... bravo!!! It sounds great! Really nicely played. You should be proud of yourself.

50. jotur/Cathy Turner - It's Been A Long, Long Time Firstly, congrats on you new paying gig!! Secondly, think this piece is fantastic. I can listen to this style of playing all day long and never get tired of it.

51. MandyD - Beauty and the Beast I know at one point you said you weren't going to continue with this as your recital piece, but good job sticking with it because you ended up doing a terrific job with it. Look how far you've come in such a short time. I say, well done!!

52. carlos88 - Preludes, Book 2: Dead Leaves I can see why you'd play something happier afterwards. Nonetheless, it's a nice piece. I particularly liked the sound of the leaves falling.

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n. 4 Toccata I quite enjoyed listening to this piece. Very perky.

54. Ohio_Mark - Schumann_Op68_2_5 I think they both sound great, and they seem to go quite well together.

55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon I love the sound of this piece, even if it is a bit sad.

56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road This piece does put one in the mood for reminiscing. I don't usually like songs played at this slow of a tempo, but I think I need to make an exception for this one.

57. Greener / Jeff Green - Badinerie A nice, fun sounding piece. I was curious how people danced to this. A search for "dancing to badinerie" on youtube brought up a demo.

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche Wow, it's beautiful. A joy to listen to, so I just sat back and soaked it all in. Lovely!!

Last edited by TX-Bluebonnet; 08/17/14 01:18 AM.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,118
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission