Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
NAMM 2018
-------------------
Forums With A View!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Bach_ingMaddie, AprilE, Beakybird, AZNpiano, amad23, 18 invisible), 809 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2315317 - 08/14/14 04:54 AM How is my progress?  
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 8
Xaynor Offline
Junior Member
Xaynor  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: May 2014
Posts: 8
Hi everyone!
Apologies in advance if these types of threads are a nuisance, but I'm curious to know how I'm progressing with the piano (I'm just loving it right now!)

I know this can't really tell much about how I can play but surely something can come out of it. I've had my keyboard for a little under two months and taught myself, without any assistance. The most difficult song I can currently play is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwz_6x2fCYI

That took me around a week and half to learn (I'm still practising on it though so I can play it flawlessly without any mistakes). However, I did cut some notes off the right hand to simplify it a bit, though it still sounds just as good.


Just based off being able to play that piece, how would you say I'm doing? I'm not sure what's classified as difficult but I honestly didn't expect to be able to play that for a while.

Thanks a lot!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2315320 - 08/14/14 05:22 AM Re: How is my progress? [Re: Xaynor]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,201
earlofmar Online content
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,201
Australia
You are doing fine so keep up the good work and enjoy. However it would be impossible to give feedback without listening to your version (with or without mistakes) but even then any feedback would not be useful to you at this stage.

Progress on the piano is not measured by any mastery of one piece and certainly not after two months. Progress is an improvement in a range of skills needed for the piano, from repertoire, sight reading, technique, exercises, etc. I think the more important question is what sort of piano player do you want to be and do you have a plan, or know, how to get there. Once you have answered that you can set some goals and monitor your own progress. But remember it is no use comparing yourself to others or any sort of "normal". This is your own journey and nothing can change that.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2315322 - 08/14/14 05:32 AM Re: How is my progress? [Re: Xaynor]  
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 110
MandyD Offline
Full Member
MandyD  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 110
Australia
Your doing better than me. Do you have to read the music or do you just follow the lines? I'm just curious as I haven't seen lines coming down like that before, it kind of reminds me of Sing Star lol.


[Linked Image]
#2315328 - 08/14/14 05:52 AM Re: How is my progress? [Re: MandyD]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,201
earlofmar Online content
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,201
Australia
Originally Posted by MandyD
Your doing better than me. Do you have to read the music or do you just follow the lines? I'm just curious as I haven't seen lines coming down like that before, it kind of reminds me of Sing Star lol.


MandyD it is a program called Synthesia


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2315333 - 08/14/14 06:09 AM Re: How is my progress? [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 410
UKIkarus Offline
Full Member
UKIkarus  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 410
England, South East
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by MandyD
Your doing better than me. Do you have to read the music or do you just follow the lines? I'm just curious as I haven't seen lines coming down like that before, it kind of reminds me of Sing Star lol.


MandyD it is a program called Synthesia


And while it is widely used and a clever little piece of software, I cannot follow it at all... never was very good at guitar hero etc haha laugh


Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
#2315334 - 08/14/14 06:09 AM Re: How is my progress? [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 8
Xaynor Offline
Junior Member
Xaynor  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: May 2014
Posts: 8
Thanks @earl ! You're definitely right smile

@Mandy, like earl said, it's Synthesia. I basically use that to learn pieces as I cannot read sheet music (I plan to learn eventually). I don't technically use the program though anymore, I just look at the notes and play them myself at my own pace over and over in sections until I get the whole piece done. I stopped actually using it because I wasn't really learning just blindly playing notes from the computer screen, and if you weren't playing at the exact pace of the song, the notes would count as a miss and that made me lose concentration, plus it discouraged me.

Not sure if I made sense there but try different methods and see what you learn best with!


Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Issue 100
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My kawai makes a motor sound, help me, listen!!
by Miko Piano. 02/21/18 03:07 AM
Stable (Garritan) CFX
by Gombessa. 02/21/18 12:07 AM
Saying letter names
by MomOfBeginners. 02/20/18 05:11 PM
Bending screws and other stuph
by Ed Foote. 02/20/18 04:58 PM
CFX Full delivery time within the US?
by CyberGene. 02/20/18 02:09 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics184,372
Posts2,697,839
Members89,656
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0