2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
I just started reading Oliver Sachs' book Musicophilia and in the introduction he says that some people experience colors(I knew that because it's been talked about a lot at PW and I think some members have this experience),

and other people experience smells or tastes or feel various sensations in their body when listening to music. And some people can be passionately moved by music despite being unable to make any "sense" of what they are hearing.

Has anyone heard much about or actually experienced what I mention in the second "paragraph"?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes! Sometimes music really stinks.

Gary
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
No smells or tastes from listening to music, but I have developed a liking for the slight odor of old pianos and old sheet music. The odor is associated with music in general, not the other way, though.

As for colors, there's a physical basis for an association. Light is a wave phenomenon, and if you keep on doubling frequency, going up octave after octave, eventually you get to the visible spectrum, which is just short of an octave wide.

If we continue the way octaves are numbered on an 88 key piano, A0 through C8, it turns out that F#44 through G#44 are red, A44 is orange, A#44 is yellow, B44 and C45 are green, C#45 is cyan, and D45 through F45 are all blue.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
If we continue the way octaves are numbered on an 88 key piano, A0 through C8, it turns out that F#44 through G#44 are red, A44 is orange, A#44 is yellow, B44 and C45 are green, C#45 is cyan, and D45 through F45 are all blue.
Does everyone who sees colors see the same color for a given note?

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Does everyone who sees colors see the same color for a given note?
From what I've read, the answer is no.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Sometimes, when I'm sight reading horn parts with my butt. I haven't eaten any sound lately but I'll let you know.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
The Dies Irae by Verdi is so vivid you can nearly smell the sulfur from the day of wrath, and see the flames.

Listen to it though, don't watch it on youtube (or close your eyes).

Poetry is rhythm
Sometimes I can taste it, especially playing Bach. Usually, it's creamy.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
Sometimes I smell the wine from my beverage. But that probably doesn't count laugh

Alas I seem to only be able to hear music.

F
F
I definitely see colors. All the time! I often see scenery and images in my head while playing.
As for tastes and smells... Not really. Actually not at all. smirk I do get feelings of hot and cold. For instance, in the 7th movement of Papillons, I always feel like I'm inside a warm cottage, looking outside where it is snowing and windy. I get such a warm cozy feeling as if I really am warm inside a cottage... And funnily, my professor said the same thing! Ha!

*Fiona*

"If music be food of love, play on!"
P.S. I am in love with Beethoven, infatuated with Liszt, and crazy about Chopin!
And when he behaves, Rachmaninoff is my darling! ;p
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Fiona0424
I definitely see colors. All the time! I often see scenery and images in my head while playing.
As for tastes and smells... Not really. Actually not at all. smirk I do get feelings of hot and cold. For instance, in the 7th movement of Papillons, I always feel like I'm inside a warm cottage, looking outside where it is snowing and windy. I get such a warm cozy feeling as if I really am warm inside a cottage... And funnily, my professor said the same thing! Ha!

OP is talking about synesthesia; everybody has the experiences you do, but few have synesthesia.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
No, but I've noticed that certain pieces will pop into my head based on how I am feeling and what is happening, and a disproportionate number of them are from Scriabin. If I hear the big piano run from the third movement of Scriabin's Concerto, I know that I am stressed. If I hear the C# minor etude, Op. 42 No. 5, I am pensive. If I hear the 4th Sonata, I am curious or searching. For some reason, his music just resonates with my moods, such that it starts up with seemingly no provocation at all.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
When I smell something, I blame it on the dog.

I can't decide if I have synethesia or not. Sometimes I have experiences of colors while listening to music but they are pretty faint. They do seem to be fairly correlated to the key - the same keys seem to induce the same colors, but it's not so cut and dry. For me emotions and feelings are also almost always woven into music that aren't so concretely emotional or sensual but something in between. Also, I'm not sure if I have perfect pitch, but I've taught myself through practice to recognize notes and keys by referencing songs in my memory. I have a very accurate, spacious, and robust tonal memory that lets me do this.

I've read the same book, and there is a chapter about a guy who can infer the keys of music because he remembers songs and instruments, and also that he has a kind of 'looser' synethesia. Dr. Sacks believes he has relative pitch. In any case, that character more closely describes me.

I have never experienced the smell or taste thing! That's a lovely book by the way - the story of the man with permanent amnesia was so terrifying, interesting, and inspiring!

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
V
V
I've heard a person with synesthesia describe food tasting like music but not the other way around.

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission