2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Are any better than others? A quick online shows there are free pdf's of old books, but if there is something that is recommended more than others I don't mind buying something.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Maggie,

My experience of these teaching materials is that they are a waste of money and paper. The student will do much better to have, at first, the teacher make up or suggest exercises for these straightforward textures based on the circle of 5ths. The student usually repeats these patterns in every major and minor key. This will work very well until the student is ready for the advancing intermediate études of Czerny, for example. Doing this, the student will actually learn enough so they're not dependent on a book for the theory, and will also acquire some very useful technical skills. Students who depend on a book, in comparison, never learn much of anything.

Why don't you just make up your own?

Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Hi Maggie,

My experience of these teaching materials is that they are a waste of money and paper. The student will do much better to have, at first, the teacher make up or suggest exercises for these straightforward textures based on the circle of 5ths. The student usually repeats these patterns in every major and minor key. This will work very well until the student is ready for the advancing intermediate études of Czerny, for example. Doing this, the student will actually learn enough so they're not dependent on a book for the theory, and will also acquire some very useful technical skills. Students who depend on a book, in comparison, never learn much of anything.

Why don't you just make up your own?

Agree with this. I very rarely use book in the beginning. I try to teach scales and arpeggios using improvisation, playing to a chord sequence and that seems to get them practicing more and learning different patterns naturally.

The only book I've tried is this one http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Scales-Chords-Arpeggios-Cadences/dp/0739003682

It's ok, but I would only use it with more advanced students

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I started with the Brown book, and then bought the Alfred book because it had cadences in it. But the Brown book has the broken arpeggios (or four note chords? I can't recall--there are certain things the Brown book has that the Alfred does not). I like the Alfred because it is clear where to put down the fourth finger, which is nice when building up a fingering scheme. It also has some helpful preliminary material for those interested in some basic theory behind concepts like key signature, chord building, scale degrees, etc. It has some suggestions for memorizing fingering schemes in groups as well.

However, after a while my teacher started giving me the look of death if I went to open a book to play any part of our scale routine. "Really? You need a book for the second inversion of the dominant seventh chord in A major?"

Now our warm-up consists of her naming a key and then my job is to play what she says in that key--contrary, parallel, chromatics, arpeggios, chords, cadences, broken chords. I grudgingly admit that it is a good thing to wean off the books so that these things are automatic.

But until that is a reasonable step to take, I do like the Alfred. Just make sure that whatever it is (that I can't remember) that the Alfred doesn't have, have the Brown at the ready.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I will check tomorrow, however my daughter, who is in her second year of piano, is not using the Alfred book or no book but rather my teacher is using something more basic for her. She is only just starting contrary motion: in the same pattern as I am expected to do it (up halfway, split, return, up rest of way, down halfway, split, return, down rest of way) but only over two octaves rather than four. I don't think that pattern is in her book, though. And I don't think it's in the Alfred/Brown, either. I think one of those books has it in the back as a common scale pattern, but not on each key page.

I would venture to guess that once they've made a full swing through the circle of fifths, my daughter will lose her book privileges as well!

Last edited by TwoSnowflakes; 08/07/14 01:29 AM.
Hanon ?

We meet upon the level, and..you don't fear someone whose story you know!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
I started with the Brown book, and then bought the Alfred book because it had cadences in it. But the Brown book has the broken arpeggios (or four note chords? I can't recall--there are certain things the Brown book has that the Alfred does not). I like the Alfred because it is clear where to put down the fourth finger, which is nice when building up a fingering scheme. It also has some helpful preliminary material for those interested in some basic theory behind concepts like key signature, chord building, scale degrees, etc. It has some suggestions for memorizing fingering schemes in groups as well.

However, after a while my teacher started giving me the look of death if I went to open a book to play any part of our scale routine. "Really? You need a book for the second inversion of the dominant seventh chord in A major?"

Now our warm-up consists of her naming a key and then my job is to play what she says in that key--contrary, parallel, chromatics, arpeggios, chords, cadences, broken chords. I grudgingly admit that it is a good thing to wean off the books so that these things are automatic.

But until that is a reasonable step to take, I do like the Alfred. Just make sure that whatever it is (that I can't remember) that the Alfred doesn't have, have the Brown at the ready.

Two Snowflakes, what is the Brown book? I'm not sure I know that one.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Learner
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
When I start students out with scales, I have a sheet that shows them the key signature of every key and fingering for scales and arpeggios. I'd much rather that they learn them by looking at their hands rather than reading notes, so they really internalize them. However, with some of my students, they lose sheets easily (despite me suggesting a binder to hold it in), for them, I just have them buy a book. Keith Snell's Scale skills are fine, but I usually start them a bit higher up in level because I want them to do all keys right away, but not too high to where they are 2 octaves, which my students don't do right away. Anyways, I haven't found anything that's perfect yet.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
When I start students out with scales, I have a sheet that shows them the key signature of every key and fingering for scales and arpeggios. I'd much rather that they learn them by looking at their hands rather than reading notes, so they really internalize them. However, with some of my students, they lose sheets easily (despite me suggesting a binder to hold it in), for them, I just have them buy a book. Keith Snell's Scale skills are fine, but I usually start them a bit higher up in level because I want them to do all keys right away, but not too high to where they are 2 octaves, which my students don't do right away. Anyways, I haven't found anything that's perfect yet.

That's the scale book my daughter uses! The Snell. But her teacher goes "off book" for quite a bit of it, so I guess she hasn't found anything perfect yet, either.

I might just write out everything in Sibelius and then print out a packet. If you wanted the perfect scale "packet" what would it have in it for each key?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

Yes, that is, indeed, it.

So, the Brown has double thirds, broken forms and chords for each key, stuff Alfred puts in the back. The Alfred has cadences and the triads up the scale in any key with their numeric designations, plus fingering hints (where the four goes down in each hand in the regular scale is at the top of the page).

Brown has additional information in the back, like chromatics, octaves and some alternate fingerings, but Alfred has WAY more. Not that I've ever really used it.

Alfred puts the "grand form" in the back, which is, more or less, the up, contrary, up, down, contrary, down pattern I do for all scales. But I just don't see why you need this written out at all.

M
M

That's the scale book my daughter uses! The Snell. But her teacher goes "off book" for quite a bit of it, so I guess she hasn't found anything perfect yet, either.

I might just write out everything in Sibelius and then print out a packet. If you wanted the perfect scale "packet" what would it have in it for each key?
Ya, that's the thing, I don't think having everything written out is necessary, just maybe an example in C major to get things started. For example, if you are doing the formula type scales, having a written out example for the purposes of simply explaining what you do, but not to read from it as you play it would be helpful.

In fact, a book that shows examples of these different ways of playing scales and arpeggios would be great. I know Hanon has some of them, but it's not complete, and of course they write everything out in all keys for you.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I guess I'm missing something. Why would you need chromatics in different keys? Do they just spell them differently/start on different notes?

1989 Baldwin R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdw
I guess I'm missing something. Why would you need chromatics in different keys? Do they just spell them differently/start on different notes?

You don't. I don't think I've ever seen a scale book with chromatics written out for each key. I mean, heck, it doesn't even change major/minor. It is what it is. No matter where you start, the fingering is the same and in both hands, the patterns by which the twos go down stays exactly the same.

The only thing that changes key to key in chromatics is contrary motion, or if you are doing them parallel but decide to shift which note one hand starts on. Then the pattern of how the fingering goes in relation to each hand executing the pattern shifts. In contrary, the pattern moves by key--or should I just say "starting note" since key isn't really accurate.

But, in any event, no, you're not missing anything and you don't need that written out, you just need to get used to it.

Last edited by TwoSnowflakes; 08/07/14 04:45 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Ya, that's the thing, I don't think having everything written out is necessary, just maybe an example in C major to get things started. For example, if you are doing the formula type scales, having a written out example for the purposes of simply explaining what you do, but not to read from it as you play it would be helpful.

In fact, a book that shows examples of these different ways of playing scales and arpeggios would be great. I know Hanon has some of them, but it's not complete, and of course they write everything out in all keys for you.

By "different ways" do you mean patterns (Russian contrary pattern vs. something other thing), or kinds of scales (thirds, sixths, melodic minor)?

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission