2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I am trying to determine if there is some way to adjust the velocity or volume of one side of the keyboard differently than the other side on the Kawai MP6.

My bass register seems too loud in comparison to the mid and upper ranges.

Last edited by jaymes677; 08/06/14 12:05 AM.

Kawai MP6 Stage Piano
JBL LSR305 Monitors
S
S
Originally Posted by jaymes677
I am trying to determine if there is some way to adjust the velocity or volume of one side of the keyboard differently than the other side on the Kawai MP6.

My bass register seems too loud in comparison to the mid and upper ranges.

(Oops! I just noticed that you're asking about the MP6. My answer, given below, was written thinking you were asking about the MP7. I suspect the solution given below won't work on the MP6, but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

I'm leaving it here just in case someone with an MP7 or MP11 wants to address a similar issue. It will work on both of those boards.)

Yes, you can do this, and quite precisely. Use the individual key volume parameter. You will need to create a keyboard scaling curve by adjusting the volume of each individual note as you wish. This is done in the System settings. Then, for any setup, choose the individual key volume settings you have created for this purpose. You can create up to five separate sets of individual key volume settings, and choose among them according to what works best for the setup you're playing.

This works extremely well. I also experienced the bass overpowering the mid- and upper-ranges (on my MP11) and fixed it perfectly using this method.

You will have to use the newest version OS to do this. Earlier versions of the OS lack this capability.

Last edited by Savante; 08/06/14 12:44 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Savante, as you note, this '88-key Volume' functionality is not available on the MP6.

However, it may be possible to crudely achieve a reduced bass volume by assigning the same sound (e.g. Concert Grand) to four individually split zones, then reducing the volume of lower split zones.

However, this may result in a noticeable 'step' in volume between the top note of Zone1 and the bottom note of Zone2 etc.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
T
Why not use EQ?

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
M
M
Originally Posted by torhu
Why not use EQ?
That's what I was thinking....usually you can reduce a range of frequencies via EQ.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by torhu
Why not use EQ?
That's what I was thinking....usually you can reduce a range of frequencies via EQ.

I think perhaps some EQ adjustment, in conjunction with the multi-zone volume method suggested by Kawai James, might be helpful. However, my experience is that EQ can have some undesirable effects, such as thinning out the sound too much if you reduce the bass too much, that does not occur with volume adjustments. Therefore I think I would try using the zone/volume approach first, and then perhaps use a little EQ to smooth out transitions between zones.

On the MP11, where the 88-note volume option is available, I found this solution to be much more satisfactory than EQ adjustments, which I also tried. EQ is certainly a useful parameter, but perhaps not the go-to choice for rebalancing the volume levels across the keyboard.

These are just general considerations. Of course you will choose whichever method or methods produce the sound which is most appealing and pleasing to you.

Last edited by Savante; 08/06/14 01:40 PM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
My left hand being too loud happened to me as well. DPs put out volume differences that are different than how an AP would react. Do you have a sub? Are your speakers bassy? I had to learn how to play lighter depending on what register I was in. My left hand used to be more brutal until I made a conscience effort to pull it back.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission