2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I did say that it was based on my experience.

The idea is that if I sit to work on a piece prematurely (or when I don't have enough time), perhaps the quality will deteriorate and as such the piece will be "lost", in a sense that it will be done and thus not to be revisited again.

In other words it's better, for me, to wait for the right circumstances, or for me to create the right circumstances anyhow (which is difficult enough as it is).

I don't know if I'm making much sense right now... too early in the morning.

R
R
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
The problem with "saving it for later" is that all but the best composers will never come back to what they have saved. The better thing to do is make it into a complete piece, however short.

That can't be true, because I don't think I am one of the best composers. wink

At some point it's time to move beyond short pieces, though. Writing a melody and short pieces is only the first step in a composer's development. Once you advance beyond that to longer pieces it is not an option to make a complete piece in one sitting. For me the process usually starts with brainstorming and coming up with a lot of ideas and save them for later. Then I start going through these to see which could work together to make a coherent piece of music.

Very rarely do I start from the beginning and write bar by bar until the end. That would only happen occasionally if I work on some short <5 minute piece.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by RogerW
Writing a melody and short pieces is only the first step in a composer's development.

Who wants to break the news to Chopin?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RogerW
Writing a melody and short pieces is only the first step in a composer's development.

Who wants to break the news to Chopin?
I doubt an example v is any kind of an argument. wink

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
What is an "example v"?

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ritzycat
Some days, I only write a few measures before I get bored and feel I've exhausted myself. Sometimes I write a roughly two-minute long piece in an hour. I'm not a "seasoned" composer, so I don't know the complicated musical components that I can 'use'.

I usually start my pieces with a theme that I get stuck in my head. I am often conjuring up melodies in my head and then I just memorize them until I get home and write them out in Finale. Then I work on it some more there or save it for later.

The problem with "saving it for later" is that all but the best composers will never come back to what they have saved. The better thing to do is make it into a complete piece, however short.

Poly, that may be your modus operandi, but I always save it for later. My pieces are built up over lengthy periods of time. I don't believe I've ever composed any piece in one sitting. However, I also don't consider myself one of the best composers either. It strikes me that this is simply a difference of working methodology. I count on the different perception of things a day later to add insight into the finished product. I find the concept of inspiration of the moment to (for me) be overrated.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ScottM
I defer to gsmonks since he knows all.

This is why I refer to you as a troll. If you're not going to contribute, if you're simply here to be disruptive, then bugger off.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Some days, I only write a few measures before I get bored and feel I've exhausted myself. Sometimes I write a roughly two-minute long piece in an hour. I'm not a "seasoned" composer, so I don't know the complicated musical components that I can 'use'.

I usually start my pieces with a theme that I get stuck in my head. I am often conjuring up melodies in my head and then I just memorize them until I get home and write them out in Finale. Then I work on it some more there or save it for later.

Poly, that may be your modus operandi, but I always save it for later. My pieces are built up over lengthy periods of time. I don't believe I've ever composed any piece in one sitting. However, I also don't consider myself one of the best composers either. It strikes me that this is simply a difference of working methodology. I count on the different perception of things a day later to add insight into the finished product. I find the concept of inspiration of the moment to (for me) be overrated.

I don't think you can generalise about methods of composition without putting your foot in it. Approaches to writing music are probably as varied as the number of people working at the craft.

Songwriting is a simple case in point. Some begin with the music, some with the lyrics, some work on both simultaneously, some still take a stab at textual declamation as they're writing, most modern popular songwriters have never heard of it. Some prepare before writing by setting the situation and/or mood. Others wait for the "right time" and/or situation. Some feel a deep need to travel, and write about experiences along the way. Others lock themselves in a cubicle with no windows go to work at it like composers back in the old Tin Pan Alley days.

I never work from "inspiration" because the kind of ideas that come to me when I'm feeling inspired are appealing but lacking in substance. But I'd never claim this is true of everyone, because it's easily demonstrated that it's not.

It's always a mistake to assume that what works well for yourself would work well for others.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What is an "example v"?
A real typo, because I was typing from my phone! wink

Other than that, you still don't get what I'm saying?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by gsmonks

I don't think you can generalise about methods of composition without putting your foot in it. Approaches to writing music are probably as varied as the number of people working at the craft.

I believe I was very careful to NOT generalize. I was simply comparing the two methods as I perceive them and what I believe to be (for me) the benefit of my modus operandi. I really don't understand how you missed that.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nikolas
What is an "example v"?

An opinion that it is naive to compose short pieces cannot be taken seriously.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What is an "example v"?

Your reply about Chopin, was a reply to RogerW. I can't see the word "naive" in his post, or actually any kind of meaning close to that.

More over he, as well as me and as well as Steve are talking from our own perspective and are very clearly stating so. I don't know what's so wrong about that!

*I think* that the idea about short pieces vs large pieces is that a large piece eventually will need some development, while a shorter one can be "just" the melody and a counter melody and that's it. Nothing wrong with any of them, and I love them both (considering what I've been composing), but perhaps this is what Roger and Steve are saying (?)

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by gsmonks

I believe I was very careful to NOT generalize. I was simply comparing the two methods as I perceive them and what I believe to be (for me) the benefit of my modus operandi. I really don't understand how you missed that.

I wasn't commenting on your post, Steve.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
What is an "example v"?

Your reply about Chopin, was a reply to RogerW. I can't see the word "naive" in his post, or actually any kind of meaning close to that.

More over he, as well as me and as well as Steve are talking from our own perspective and are very clearly stating so. I don't know what's so wrong about that!

*I think* that the idea about short pieces vs large pieces is that a large piece eventually will need some development, while a shorter one can be "just" the melody and a counter melody and that's it. Nothing wrong with any of them, and I love them both (considering what I've been composing), but perhaps this is what Roger and Steve are saying (?)

Development is more an attribute of 19th century music and earlier. Later composers (late 19th century, early-to-late 20th century) wrote more programme and programme-like music that was through-composed.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
What are all the things you can do to a melody (just thinking out loud, here)? Original, retrograde, inversion, retrograde inversion, augmentation, diminution, reharmonisation . . . you can play with the harmonic rhythm, the melodic rhythm, you can write the melody at a different scale degree or using a different scale altogether . . . change the time signature, expose it as a single melody with or without accompaniment or weave it into a contrapuntal texture . . . then there are the various melodic shapes, there is reorchestration . . .

None of which addresses the use to which the end result is put.

For example, who among us can write a scary melody or piece of music? Something that strikes a visceral fear into the listener.

Maybe we should have a series of contests or challenges. Beginning with writing something truly terrifying.

H'm . . . you know, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single piece of really scary music. Can you?

R
R

I have no idea where you read that opinion. I can also say that it is normal for a pianist to start by learning short pieces, then eventually progress to learning longer pieces. That doesn't mean that I think it is naive to perform short pieces by Chopin.

The dictionary meaning of composition is "the act of combining parts or elements to form a whole". The quite natural progression when learning something like this is to start from the smallest elements. You first learn to combine notes to form a melody (or rhythmic patterns, harmonies, textures, soundscapes etc.). Next you learn to combine these new elements, melodies with harmonies, rhythmic patterns and other textures to form a bigger whole. Then you learn to combine these larger chunks into larger pieces of music. There's really no way around this. You can't write a sonata unless you first learn how to write the smaller elements of a sonata. And Chopin was very able to compose sonatas, so I really don't know what news you want to break to him.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Roger,

Maybe there is an art to the appropriateness of particular musical material for various durations of music? The opening of Beethoven's Hammerklavier sonata is "obviously" (but not necessarily) the start of something other than a prelude, and as well of something other than a work with for instance only 20 minutes compass. Some composers seem to have issues in one extreme or the other - Chopin is great in both, but for instance Schubert seems to have had some issues in composing for large multi-movement forms.

I don't know if originating one type of material vs. the other, and either of the needed quality, is easier, maybe shorter compositions with more concentrated focus just need a different type of effort rather than being intrinsically easier to pull off.

Some composers seem to be most secure with the monumental and gargantuan, and to possibly have issues with the miniature (with Wagner and Bruckner there are examples of this).

This is all a very general observation, and very roughly sketched out, yet maybe there is something to it? As a professional composer maybe you have some insight about this.

R
R
Hi Michael,

Regarding material suitable for long or short pieces, I think proportions is the most important word. There needs to be no difference between a 3 minute or a 15 minute movement when it comes to form, they might both consist of the same structural elements, but the individual elements are longer and more expanded in the latter. An 8 bar main theme that ends with a perfect V-I cadence would for example be very difficult to use as base for a large scale piece.

Composing good music of any length is not easy by any means and it would be wrong to claim that anyone composer writing mostly short pieces is less worth, if those short pieces are of great quality. Some composers will find that they like one or the other more, which is good, because we need all kinds of music. We wouldn't want all novelists to churn out only >2000 page epics either. smile

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The difference between long and short pieces music can often be likened to the difference between novel writing and poetry.

It's often said that the best writers (both novel-writers and poets) have more written about them than their own total output.

Several cases in point- a number of very short compositions by both Schumann and Debussy. Their very brevity is the reason they're used as examples for analysis in university. Bach's Chorals, Inventions and Symphonias would qualify as well.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Roger!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission