2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Recital #35 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, it’s time for the 35th quarterly “Beginners and Beyond” recital hosted by the Piano World Adult Beginners Forum! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of August, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Daylight Savings Time, August 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7-9 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you’re new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

https://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN TIME on August 14, 2014.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I've come down with a very bad dose of "overpreparedness" and got myself in at No 2.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So I was just standing around minding my own business and the no. 3 spot opened up with no takers so I grabbed it.

I'm not going to play the game of trying to get a better and better take only to realize that I should have just kept the original one to begin with.

Of course, as always, my best performance is the one just after the one I submitted. It never fails!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm in!

It's really been delightful seeing the variety, and I have found several pieces that have made their way into my Must Learn queue! It's a nice way of getting exposure to a wider scope of piano music than I would otherwise bump into.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 08/01/14 01:23 AM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
In at number 6 smile

earlofmar, can't wait to hear your Chopin, I want to learn that too!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by sinophilia
In at number 6 smile

earlofmar, can't wait to hear your Chopin, I want to learn that too!

I would say it is an excellent introduction to Chopin. I always look forward to hearing what you present as well as you are a bit in front of me time wise so I get a little glimpse of the future. Plus we both have exquisite taste in music lol.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I recorded a few weeks ago, highest spot for me so far at no 7. Looking forward to the recital.

Jazztpt

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Plus we both have exquisite taste in music lol.

So true grin

I may be in front of you time wise but not in terms of playing ability. And I rarely tackle challenging pieces, although I'm making more forays into the intermediate realm now. How about Schumann's Kinderszene no. 1? wink

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
How about Schumann's Kinderszene no. 1? wink

YES PLEASE!! My favourite piece of the Kinderszenen. I am so much looking forward to the moment I will be able to play it..

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ok, I'm in! #8

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I'm trying to submit Saturday or Sunday. I was recording yesterday but it's not yet at the level I'm aiming for, however realistic that is..

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

So true grin

I may be in front of you time wise but not in terms of playing ability. And I rarely tackle challenging pieces, although I'm making more forays into the intermediate realm now. How about Schumann's Kinderszene no. 1? wink

A beautiful piece but I am trapped within a Debussy phase and don't quite know when he is going to let me go. Though I may get the boot soon enough as it's all very hard.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Well done all you organised people with your submissions in already!
Planning to record this weekend and submit the best I get...

[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
So I was just standing around minding my own business and the no. 3 spot opened up with no takers so I grabbed it.

I'm not going to play the game of trying to get a better and better take only to realize that I should have just kept the original one to begin with.

Of course, as always, my best performance is the one just after the one I submitted. It never fails!

Oh, then it's really easy: submit a crap version, start the recorder and record your final submission smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
In at 9! I'm on summer holidays so my connection is not so sharp

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

So true grin

Highly recommended. How about adding no. 7 to it for a bit of challenge ;-)

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I'm trying for a one shot record, so I'll be recording Saturday night and submitting whatever I end up recording grin

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Just to let y'all know: I'm leaving in a couple of hours for Chicago to help my hubby out at the biggest coin show of the year. Most of the time I will be in the convention center with no internet access. If you have trouble uploading your recording and email it to me instead, I may not be able to upload it from my end until we return on the 9th. If you have other questions/problems, you may get quicker resolution just posting your question here in the thread.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
No Wouter, that's not it at all. And who said said anything about submitting a 'crap' version and just kicking back?

In reality, it goes like this...

Start practicing your next recital piece 2-3 months ahead of time. Practice it everyday, numerous times per day. After a few months, you will not only have worked out the bugs but you will be so familiar with the piece that you will start getting a little tired of it. This is a bit of a problem actually because it is right about this time that you need to make a good recording of all the practicing you have been doing but at the same time you may become a little jaded with the piece and this lackluster attitude could possibly end up in your recording. It has in mine!

Anyway, after making a decent recording, I always 'think' I can do better [because I have...but not with the recorder on] I get into this self imposed stressful cycle of trying to get just a little bit better of a recording [in which nobody else will tell the difference!].

So this time, I'm not going to do that. If I can't make it sound any better after working a piece every day for several months, then I'm not going to be able to make any dramatic results in the eleventh hour. So in the next two weeks while many others will be squirming stressing out over a 'better' recording, I'm going to start working on my next recital submission.

Of course, in two months I'll be sick of that piece and we can have this discussion all over again but after many years now I've observed that this is how it actually works.

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
I'm in at 16. I agonized over whether to record 'In Church' by Tchaikovsky since it's my latest assignment from my teacher and she said it will be my last level 5 etude. Yay! Well, I decided not to record that since sinophilia already played it for the last recital, so I ended up submitting my exam piece by Beethoven. I might do 'In Church' for the piano bar next month. Didn't spent any time to prepare for the recording because I'm too busy with RCM 5 exam in 7 days! Ah, I'm going crazy. Wish me luck! You'll hear a spot where my mind just went blank for a moment. I didn't re-record. It is what it is.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission