2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 11 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky

Anyway, I got three tunes ready [To Zanarkand, Nights in White Satin, and Color my World] I'm not sure yet which one I will perform because I'm a little sick of all of them right now. I'll probably go with the 'Color my World' tune though as I've already submitted the other two in the past some place.

Would love to hear a your version of Nights in White Satin. The Moody Blues were one of the first more progressive type bands I started to listen to and always have a soft spot for them.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Well I've been on 25'-30'scaffolding for the past 3 months staining the lodge with oil. I can't even begin to tell you how sick of smelling like a fish every night is. Plus the amount of time it takes me to get linseed oil out of my hair every evening.

Carp or muskie?

Wear a painter's cap (available at Goodwill too).

Can we get some pics of the lodge & you on the scaffolding? Have you really been up there for 3 months? laugh

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

That's a tough choice, Hunky. I absolutely LOVE "Nights in White Satin," but I'm always eager to hear new arrangements by you. It's a win-win situation, I guess!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
(...) but I'm always eager to hear new arrangements by you. It's a win-win situation, I guess!

+1 thumb
Whatever you play, it's a pleasure to listen to.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Would love to hear a your version of Nights in White Satin. The Moody Blues were one of the first more progressive type bands I started to listen to and always have a soft spot for them.

I always used to hear those lyrics as "Knights in White Satin" and I could never figure out why they were wearing satin.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
"Knights in White Satin" and I could never figure out why they were wearing satin.

Me too!!! It took forever before I realized that it wasn't "knights." Actually, I still kind of hear it that way! :p

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Kinda spoilt it for me when I found out it was "Nights" . . always thought the song had a gothic feel to it. Like a Robin Hood atmosphere; just needed Kate Beckinsale to improve the visuals . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by chopinoholic
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Originally Posted by chopinoholic
I'm thinking to joining this recital. I will not give away any spoilers only that it will not be Chopin grin

I just hope you guys will appreciate it.

The struggle with the red dot can start...

Einaudi? laugh

Joplin? laugh
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by Peyton
Satie?

Weird Al Yankovic?

It will be older than that. Quite a famous chap too!

Pythagoras!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
J
J
Well I've been on 25'-30'scaffolding for the past 3 months staining the lodge with oil. I can't even begin to tell you how sick of smelling like a fish every night is. Plus the amount of time it takes me to get linseed oil out of my hair every evening.

Thank goodness for Goodwill and disposable clothes! [I just bought a stack of brand new T-shirts for 30 cents each].

Anyway, I got three tunes ready [To Zanarkand, Nights in White Satin, and Color my World] I'm not sure yet which one I will perform because I'm a little sick of all of them right now. I'll probably go with the 'Color my World' tune though as I've already submitted the other two in the past some place.

And I know this is the recital thread but I'm still thinking of Cheryl and all her birthday lobster and shrimp. [Here in Arizona we have fresh lizard, rattlesnake, and cactus]. I want some fresh lobster. Just a taste!

I chose To Zanarkand myself. Might be nice to hear both of our versions. I skipped the 4 bars near the end though, as, while I could play it, I couldn't play it well enough yet(imo) so I am submitting a shortened version of the song.

XXXV [Linked Image]
XXXIII [Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

Carp or muskie? Tongue and Linseed oil

Wear a painter's cap (available at Goodwill too). I don't ever wear hats as I get headaches from them. Plus I have a blockhead so they don't fit well.

Can we get some pics of the lodge & you on the scaffolding? Have you really been up there for 3 months? laugh

Well it seems that way anyway. Occasionally I come down for potty breaks and food but that's about it. Oh, and these pics were taken last week during a large managed fire just behind us so we had the lovely combo of inhaling fishy oil and smoke to choke on all day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mrs. Hunky helped high up on the front while I worked the back.

Btw, on the rear pic, it may look like the three sets of scaffolding are upside down with a stepladder ratchet strapped on top of it all, but it's just an illusion I assure you. I would personally never do that even if I was short a set of scaffolding and was too cheap to buy another set as it's just not safe!

earlofmar, happy birthday my friend. As Jotur said over a year ago...'I'm glad you joined' too!

Casinitaly Nothing really compared to those high school dances [and everything that goes along with them :), hehe!] so if I can rekindle some of those dance floor memories for you I'd be happy too.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks Mr SH, I am glad I found such a lovely place as well.

My my that's one big job you got on your hands there. Make me feel real wimpish for putting off painting our little box we call home.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
Originally Posted by Jayden
I chose To Zanarkand myself. Might be nice to hear both of our versions. I skipped the 4 bars near the end though, as, while I could play it, I couldn't play it well enough yet(imo) so I am submitting a shortened version of the song.

You can simplify it a bit instead of shortening the song; just play the chords from the first playthrough instead of the crazy 16ths/triplets/32nds.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by Allard
Originally Posted by Jayden

You can simplify it a bit instead of shortening the song; just play the chords from the first playthrough instead of the crazy 16ths/triplets/32nds.

Yeah I could, but I basically just cut the song to 2 minutes rather than running through essentially the same portion twice (since the song basically repeats the first minute and a half). I just took the ending and shoved it on the first playthrough. When I can finally play it reliably, I would like to do the whole thing. Think I have had enough of To Zanarkand for now :p, if that's possible.

God, I've had to edit out spelling mistakes 4 times in this post. I was just learning Suteki Da Ne, and it's really doing a number on my fingers right now.

Last edited by Jayden; 07/31/14 06:58 AM.

XXXV [Linked Image]
XXXIII [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

Carp or muskie? Tongue and Linseed oil

Wear a painter's cap (available at Goodwill too). I don't ever wear hats as I get headaches from them. Plus I have a blockhead so they don't fit well.

Well it seems that way anyway. Occasionally I come down for potty breaks and food but that's about it. Oh, and these pics were taken last week during a large managed fire just behind us so we had the lovely combo of inhaling fishy oil and smoke to choke on all day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mrs. Hunky helped high up on the front while I worked the back.

Btw, on the rear pic, it may look like the three sets of scaffolding are upside down with a stepladder ratchet strapped on top of it all, but it's just an illusion I assure you. I would personally never do that even if I was short a set of scaffolding and was too cheap to buy another set as it's just not safe!

earlofmar, happy birthday my friend. As Jotur said over a year ago...'I'm glad you joined' too!

Casinitaly Nothing really compared to those high school dances [and everything that goes along with them :), hehe!] so if I can rekindle some of those dance floor memories for you I'd be happy too.

THAT is some log cabin . . . .the logs aren`t even split down the middle! At least you'll have something substantial to fix your shelves onto . . . .I imagine the piano would sound different in such an environment. I don`t have a reverb setting on mine which says "log cabin (enormous)" . . . whome

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Whizbang, you mathematician you laugh

Happy birthday, earlofmar smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Casinitaly Nothing really compared to those high school dances [and everything that goes along with them :), hehe!
so if I can rekindle some of those dance floor memories for you I'd be happy too.

smile aw blush That would be swell !

I know my highschool days were pretty tame compared to some, but still....what memories!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Recital's open! All you prepared folks (= Not Me), go for it!!

J
J
Spending 30 minutes searching through 'call for submission' thread creation times and waking up early has paid dividends.

In at no.1!

XXXV [Linked Image]
XXXIII [Linked Image]
A
A
After skipping two recitals, I feel I really should participate again. Got a piece ready, but 30+ takes later still no decent recording. Keep coming up with creative and unique ways to misplay the thing.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Allard
After skipping two recitals, I feel I really should participate again. Got a piece ready, but 30+ takes later still no decent recording. Keep coming up with creative and unique ways to misplay the thing.

seems like it never gets easier.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission