2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 31 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 31
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Prices of USED software are VERY negotiable, so I think it would be interesting to post both asking and paid prices.

It is a little ODD that "used" software depreciates so rapidly, although it doesn't "wear out" in the same way that hardware does.
Sure, it tends towards obsolescence, but in many/most cases it is upgradable to the latest and (alleged) greatest version, often at low/no cost.

The bloom appears to have gone off this particular rose anyway, so I would expect a December sale of the intro pre-release price, or $99.xx

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by R_B
Prices of USED software are VERY negotiable, so I think it would be interesting to post both asking and paid prices.

It is a little ODD that "used" software depreciates so rapidly, although it doesn't "wear out" in the same way that hardware does.
Sure, it tends towards obsolescence, but in many/most cases it is upgradable to the latest and (alleged) greatest version, often at low/no cost.
I'm not aware of any sold prices for 2nd user software. RC has had a mixed reception so maybe that fact alone will exert downward pressure on the resale price.

The bloom appears to have gone off this particular rose anyway, so I would expect a December sale of the intro pre-release price, or $99.xx
I'm not so sure if it's broadly lost its favour or we've just gone quiet on it. I've been using it for the last few days and I'm still taken by it, particularly the 'close' setting only - I can't find a use for the other mic options. I've no idea what the real RC sounds like but its sample library is particularly consistent and convincing as a piano - even if not everyone is convinced by its timbre.

Yes, I can see deals coming up again. Maybe this is the advantage of dealing with an outfit like VIlabs who are direct to buyer. Unless I'm mistaken, the Garritan is sold through a network of agents who also want their cut.

C
C
I agree Dire Tonic, I still am very happy overall with RC. It just sounds so 'regal' to me wink I don't feel as if I'm missing out on something better, though eventually I'll prob bite the bullet and swallow my pride and get Ivory AG for a fuller sound when desired.

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
C
C
I'm trying to figure out how to emulate the resonance of the strings...like when you hit a key on an AP, the sound/resonance lingers. The only aspect I've found that sounds like this is the 'reverb'. Is this the only way to affect the resonance?

Thanks!

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Chrisl
I'm trying to figure out how to emulate the resonance of the strings...like when you hit a key on an AP, the sound/resonance lingers. The only aspect I've found that sounds like this is the 'reverb'. Is this the only way to affect the resonance?

Thanks!

Hold the pedal down. I'n not sure what is implemented in the P105, damper and/or string resonance, I suspect the former only (resonance with pedal down, but not with keys down);'but on most entry and mid level DP's there is no possibility to extend it.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Hold the pedal down. I'n not sure what is implemented in the P105, damper and/or string resonance, I suspect the former only (resonance with pedal down, but not with keys down);'but on most entry and mid level DP's there is no possibility to extend it.

I am confused. I thought Chrisl was trying to figure out something related to the Ravenscroft software piano. What does how what is implemented in the P105 have to do with that ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
C
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

I am confused. I thought Chrisl was trying to figure out something related to the Ravenscroft software piano. What does how what is implemented in the P105 have to do with that ?

Yes dmd, I was hoping to have that option in RW. I have lessons on a Steinway, and love the sustained note on the strings after pushing and letting go of the key, and I have my 105 with RW that I practice on...so I was just hoping to get it to be more like the Steinway.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chrisl
Yes dmd, I was hoping to have that option in RW. I have lessons on a Steinway, and love the sustained note on the strings after pushing and letting go of the key, and I have my 105 with RW that I practice on...so I was just hoping to get it to be more like the Steinway.

Well, the little I know about it ... would seem to point in the direction of the SYMPATHETIC RESONANCE. I would fool with that setting some.

Of course, you might get your best advice by calling VILabs for support.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I appreciate the info., PianoManChuck. About the Ravenscroft VPC. I haven't seen any more info. Look forward to more.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
P
Originally Posted by rnaple
I appreciate the info., PianoManChuck. About the Ravenscroft VPC. I haven't seen any more info. Look forward to more.

I haven't seen any more info either, other than their website for acoustic pianos! You might want to contact them.

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Something that might help this thread.
All the discussion of metallic sound.
The first thing I think of with this is acoustics of the room you're listening in. As well as the speakers. Metallic usually indicates what they call: "early reflections". Those are close reflections from the speakers to you. They reflect so quickly. They sound as the original note played. They can create a metallic sound.
I've been working on the acoustics with my VPC. I don't hear any problem with metallic in the recordings from VILabs.
You don't need another 2 cent's worth opinion. I will admit I'm going to buy it.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
cdl Offline
C
This is my first post, but first let me say that I recently purchased the Ravenscroft 275 virtual piano. I love it! The sound, miking options, and player friendly approach is tremendous. This is the first piano software that I would consider using to record a solo piano album with. I still use my old Yamaha KX88 keyboard controller (no problem using with Ravenscroft) because of the wonderful action.

Unfortunately I have some negative feedback with regards to VI Labs. Before I purchased the software on July 12, I had a couple of questions regarding my computer's hard drive's speed compatability. When I couldn't find the exact answer, I emailed VI Labs through their website using the "contact" fill-in form. After waiting about a week, and no answer, I cautiously went ahead and downloaded the software. Thankfully there were no problems once everything was downloaded. A couple of days later I had a couple of more questions about EQ and mike settings, and again contacted VI Labs through their website. Again, no response. I tried two more times for a total of four times, and to this day, July 28, 2014, I've had no response. Unless I am doing something wrong, this is totally unacceptable! Has anyone else experienced this? I certainly hope not.

Again, don't hesitate to buy this piano software. The customer support...you will have to judge for yourself.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It could be that the messages you sent did not reach VI Labs, or that the messages VI Labs sent have not reached you. Perhaps check the Spam folder of your email account, just to be sure.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
cdl Offline
C
I checked. No spam items on my end. I just don't want this to happen to others. Here is the page link that I filled in with my questions.

http://www.vilabsaudio.com/index.php?route=information/contact

If anyone can think of another way to contact VI Labs, I would greatly appreciate knowing. In all fairness, maybe VI has a glitch in their mail system? Hopefully a representative scans this forum, and can offer a solution?

C
C
I contacted them last february when my HD crashed and I needed a new ilok license. I am pretty sure they replied within 1 day. I used the contact page on their website. There is a user here, Lance VI Labs, here who works for VI, maybe you can try sending him a PM. You

Last edited by CountSmith; 07/28/14 04:04 PM.
C
cdl Offline
C
That's good to know about Lance at VI on this forum.

Thank you!

S
S
only one word for Ravenscroft...

Beautiful!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Superbaffone
only one word for Ravenscroft...

Beautiful!

VILabs did a really good job of sampling - it's consistent, clean, without bumps or clangs but maybe the Ravenscroft itself isn't quite to my taste. Better for jazz, maybe, than anything else?

I wish VILabs would have another go at a Steinway, I'm sure they'd have a winner.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dire tonic

I wish VILabs would have another go at a Steinway, I'm sure they'd have a winner.

I'd rather they do a Yamaha CFX. I'm not counting on Garritan to ever finish theirs.

Between the Vintage D, Ivory II American D, and their own True Keys American (which isn't bad) I've got enough Steinways. If you don't like either the Vintage D or Ivory II American D, I wonder what you are looking for? I don't hear many flaws in either. It's more a matter of which original piano I like better.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Macy
I'd rather they do a Yamaha CFX. I'm not counting on Garritan to ever finish theirs.

I'd be interested in their CFX also.

Between the Vintage D, Ivory II American D, and their own True Keys American (which isn't bad) I've got enough Steinways. If you don't like either the Vintage D or Ivory II American D, I wonder what you are looking for? I don't hear many flaws in either. It's more a matter of which original piano I like better.

I wasn't bowled over by anything I heard of the TK American but I sensed that VIlabs got into their stride with the Ravenscroft, better methods maybe (I'm guessing) so I'm hoping they've sharpened their tools, their know-how.

I've just bought Ivory American so I'm still messing about with it. That and the vintage D are both good - and strikingly different from each other - but they could be better. I don't like Vintage D's una corda, and at the moment I find Ivory a bit on the woolly side. Other than eradicating obvious flaws It's not easy to pin down and specify what I'm looking for but I think I'll know it when I play it and hear it.

Page 28 of 31 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission