2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hello everyone, let's give this a try smile

If you'd like to perform in a recital where we plan and perform a program together then sign up here! We'll create a program meant to be heard as a meaningful, beautiful and entertaining whole.

Please sign up for 15 minutes of time by responding to this thread. I just need your name. We'll determine the pieces as a group once we know who is performing.
You can share your 15-minute slot with someone else if you know you'll both play something short.
There is a maximum of 2 hours. If more people sign up then some people will be on a sub list in case of a cancellation. If not many people sign up then performers can have more time each.

Once the list of performers is set, program planning will happen on this thread. It would be great to have the whole community, not just those performing, involved in choosing repertoire and order. Non-performing listeners can make requests too! Hopefully we can come to a consensus together. Performers do make the final decision on what they play, and I decide the order.

I will post the program list on this thread as it continues to develop over the coming weeks.

The performance will be posted as a soundcloud set (playlist) on Friday, July 25 at noon EST. There will be a separate thread for the performance, discussion, and any program notes that the performers would like to share.

Submission deadline is Thursday, July 24 at noon EST.
Please send submissions to me over PM in a way that allows me to download .wav or .mp3.
Cut-and-paste editing is allowed; no tempo changes, dynamic changes, pitch changes etc., and absolutely no plagiarism.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I think you meant June, not July.

I will sign up for a slot, but I will be playing several smaller pieces as opposed to one large one.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
P
I'd like to join as well. I will also be playing several shorter pieces rather than a long one. I can assure you that the pieces won't be as impressive as Poly's, though. :P

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If I understand this correctly we first sign up to say we're interested in participating. What piece we end up playing will be determined later according to signing up what's on the recital program and what each performer selects from that program?

Is this correct?

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Sounds like it.

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Heather, with this reply, consider me signed up. I have several options for a 15 minute slot -- let's see who else is interested, and I can adjust the repertoire to fit a consensus for the recital "theme".

P.S. Leave it for late July, as you have listed -- I won't be around to record in late June - early July.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I think you meant June, not July.

[...]

The title says "July" and, twice in the post, she lists July dates. I think it's July.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, I do mean July.

So far Polyphonist, Tim Adrianson and Pover are signed up. There is still room for 5 performers (or more if you share your time.)

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vid
If I understand this correctly we first sign up to say we're interested in participating. What piece we end up playing will be determined later according to signing up what's on the recital program and what each performer selects from that program?

Is this correct?

Hi Vid,
Yes, and you will be part of deciding what's on the program, based on what you'd like to perform.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Sign me up

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I'm entirely game, if you'll have me...nothing impressive to offer though wink
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm game. Sign me up!

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome doctor S, FSO and Vid smile
I'm already excited. I'm sure there will be a great variety of music here.

Our performers so far:
Polyphonist
Tim Adrianson
Pover
doctor S
FSO
Vid

2 more can still join.

Last edited by hreichgott; 06/06/14 02:23 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well, I'm in.

How does this work? Do we submit a repertoire list from which y'all chose one or more pieces for the recital, or do we have to learn new music by JULY??

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I assume you learn the music for the recital - you have two whole months, after all. At least I'm going to be playing new pieces, using it as an opportunity to expand my repertoire.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Originally Posted by Vid

Is this correct?

Hi Vid,
Yes, and you will be part of deciding what's on the program, based on what you'd like to perform.

It seems to me like a most bizarre way of preparing a recital program :
- we sign up because we are interested in performing, not knowing what we will be playing or whether what we want to play will be "acceptable" or "appropriate" for the recital.
- then, when the requisite number of people are signed up (that's determined how? since we don't know what we will play, nor for how long we will play except that we are limited to 15 minutes)
- then everyone signed up mutually contributes suggestions as to what the program will be, presumably based on what each of those individuals wants to play or has ready to play
- then someone makes the final decision and does what: gives final blessing to some of the proposed suggestions and eliminates others?

We'll determine the pieces as a group once we know who is performing.

... and how are "we" going to do that when we don't know what is in the repertoire list of those wanting to perform. Does everyone list all the pieces s/he wishes to perform and we choose from among them? What if the "choice" made isn't the performer's preferred piece?

It would be great to have the whole community, not just those performing, involved in choosing repertoire and order. Non-performing listeners can make requests too! Hopefully we can come to a consensus together. Performers do make the final decision on what they play,

The whole community weighs in on what they want to hear in this recital choosing from what list? The community makes the choice, but the performers make the final decision and Heather gives the final approval? If I am performing and the community decides what I should play but I have the final decision and we are at odds, what then?

Isn't this the most involved, convoluted way of trying to "organize" a recital? By the time the requisite number of performers is achieved, the lists of repertoire are posted and the community votes, it will probably be August!

I guess I don't get it.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BruceD
By the time the requisite number of performers is achieved, the lists of repertoire are posted and the community votes, it will probably be August!

Seeing as 7 out of the 8 performers have already signed up, I don't think the first item on that list is going to take very long. As for the second step, I don't see why repertoire lists would be posted, since it seems like a key aspect of this recital is flexibility. The third step, given an efficient discussion/voting process, I can't see taking very long either - the entire initial process should take under a week.

Regards,

Polyphonist
That's kind of how I see it too. I can see where Bruce's kinds of questions are coming from too, but this just 'feels' like a thing where it has a great chance to work out fine, despite the looseness. It seems like a thing where Heather has a nice basic idea and a good handle on how to work it out. Yes, it's a little vague, but judging from the degree of interest and the tone of how it's all being presented and discussed, I think the kinds of things Bruce is asking about will work themselves out step-by-step as the group goes along. It'll be interesting to see. If it's successful, which I think it will be, I think the process itself might be as interesting and fun as the music itself.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD

I guess I don't get it.

You are not alone - neither do I. But, whatever - if people want to do it, why not?

FWIW, I never listen to our e-citals here as if they are real life concerts in real time, which may be one reason why this format mystifies me.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission