2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I find myself continually astonished by Godowsky's pianistic ingenuity. The fugue, especially, is extraordinarily innovative - no composer before or since has been able to create works like this for only half a pianist. Godowsky is famously quoted as saying that if one hand can be made to sound like two, two hands can be made to sound like four. And if anyone was capable of that, it was Godowsky. Here is the work, performed by Marc-Andre Hamelin, whose control of the keyboard and immaculate technique makes his interpretation sparkle like none other.

Opinions?

Regards,

Polyphonist

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Pretty amazing - both the writing and the performance.

Kudos to Hamelin - whose masterful interpretation truly sparkles !!

In terms of the compositions themselves - on first hearing I felt the Fugue was more effective than the Prelude - only because the Prelude seemed to run a bit too long.

Thanks for sharing these !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
F
F
I hear the performer taking too many liberties with rubato which slows forward momentum. A straight performance would most likely sound much better. Also, the performer fails to accentuate the melody so it gets lost in both pieces. This could be a recording issue, though, but it can't be discerned from the recording so lets blame it on the performer. (However, knowing who the performer is, it's most likely a performer error.) It could be a bit faster overall because momentum and energy is slightly lost.

About the compositions, they are really nice, especially the Prelude. I don't know how effective a one-handed, 3-part Fugue can be since the range is severely limited.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, Hamelin seems to use rubato where the score indicates rall and a tempo - such liberties! ha

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
A lovely recording! Amazing what can be done with one hand.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Aside from Godowsky's technical achievement in the composition of this work, there is also the musical element, and there are some very beautiful passages in both the prelude and the fugue.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
F
Originally Posted by Vid
Yes, Hamelin seems to use rubato where the score indicates rall and a tempo - such liberties! ha

This is the difference between a musician and a typist: a musician can hear on his own, a typist must be given instructions.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by faulty_Damper
Originally Posted by Vid

This is the difference between a musician and a typist: a musician can hear on his own, a typist must be given instructions.

That is a false comparison. A better one would be a musician vs a player piano. But a musician still needs instructions otherwise you get into improvisational style music or they are the composer.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Vid

So who is at fault here - Godowsky for writing in the markings, or Hamelin for following them?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Neither of them are at fault. Markings are simply what the composer hears. Whether to actively try to emulate that or not is another discussion.

I hear the performer taking too many liberties with rubato which slows forward momentum. A straight performance would most likely sound much better. Also, the performer fails to accentuate the melody so it gets lost in both pieces. This could be a recording issue, though, but it can't be discerned from the recording so lets blame it on the performer. (However, knowing who the performer is, it's most likely a performer error.) It could be a bit faster overall because momentum and energy is slightly lost.

Is there a recording of this you prefer? Unfortunately with Godowsky, there seems to be so little with which to compare various interpretations of the music.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
Neither of them are at fault.

Obviously; I'm trying to see if Mr. Faulty is up to having a logical discussion or not.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MALDI_ToF

Is there a recording of this you prefer? Unfortunately with Godowsky, there seems to be so little with which to compare various interpretations of the music.

I don't know of any other recordings of this particular piece except for a couple by unknowns on Youtube, which I am fairly certain are not better than Hamelin's.

Godowsky's music needs more attention.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I second that notion. Pianists need to focus on his real music, not the Chopin etude transcriptions. Those should be shunned from musical society.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I second that notion. Focus on his real music, not those Chopin etudes. They need to be ignored forever.

I really cannot tell when you are being sarcastic.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
His Chopin transcriptions are in poor taste, and it's a shame that they're what Godowsky is known for.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
His Chopin transcriptions are in poor taste.

In your opinion.

...it's a shame that they're what Godowsky is primarily known for.

Agreed.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
F
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Vid

So who is at fault here - Godowsky for writing in the markings, or Hamelin for following them?

This is still the typist analogy you're hinting to. A musician wouldn't need the expressive markings on the score. He can hear it on his own. Here's a real life example: you read a book aloud. There are no expressive markings anywhere on the page. More direct comparison, you read J.S. Bach's works. There are almost no expressive markings on the score. A more stylistically similar analogy: Alkan's Trois Etudes dan le genre Pathetique - no expressive markings anywhere, neither tempo nor dynamics, etc.

His Chopin transcriptions are in poor taste, and it's a shame that they're what Godowsky is known for.

I must respectfully disagree. But it is a shame that Godowsky is most famous for that set or transcriptions.

I still prefer the original Chopin Etudes though.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree with you, faulty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission