2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
MikeN #2305947 07/23/14 01:03 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MikeN
Sure, but this depends on taste, does it not? Hence it's subjective?

Yes, that is what I meant in the second part of this text (the first part is the objective fact):
Objective reality: "I play this piece in some way such that these notes are struck with this velocity at this time for this duration, etc."
Subjective perception: "The resulting music sounds 'unpolished'." Since this is the subjective perception of the objective fact, this subjective perception may also be something like "The resulting music sounds polished and great" to a different listener.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2305950 07/23/14 01:05 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Atrys
Sure, but this depends on taste, does it not? Hence it's subjective?

Yes, that is what I meant in the second part of this text (the first part is the objective fact):
Objective reality: "I play this piece in some way such that these notes are struck with this velocity at this time for this duration, etc."
Subjective perception: "The resulting music sounds 'unpolished'." Since this is the subjective perception of the objective fact, this subjective perception may also be something like "The resulting music sounds polished and great" to a different listener.

So it seems we are in agreement.

Now I must ask why this discussion was necessary.

Last edited by MikeN; 07/23/14 01:07 PM.
MikeN #2305953 07/23/14 01:08 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

I don't know; you asked some questions so I figured I'd answer them grin

Last edited by Atrys; 07/23/14 01:08 PM.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2305958 07/23/14 01:13 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I don't know; you asked some questions so I figured I'd answer them grin

laugh So be it. One you chimed it, I guess I couldn't help but wonder why?

outo #2305960 07/23/14 01:14 PM
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
This website has some interesting insights on what it is that actually makes a great interpretation:

The Craft of Musical Communication
Fascinating article. I've added it to my favorites to re-read.

Best regards,

Deborah
Gooddog #2305977 07/23/14 01:57 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by gooddog
These are all great posts. Please keep them coming.

@bennevis, I finally had time to listen to the clips you suggested. Did you notice how Horowitz plays on the tail end of the beat? This gives it a lush quality.

Another expressive device which is related to agogic hesitation is desynchronization of hands. It seems to be coming back into fashion - I've heard quite a number of young pianists using it to highlight certain notes within phrases, or to start new phrases, to make the listener prick up his ears. This is especially effective if the LH bass note(s) is/are much lower than the RH melody, which is played just fractionally off the beat. Singers - both operatic and Lieder - do this quite often. Of course, it's a lot easier for a singer to soar freely with his/her melodic line, tugging and pushing at/against the beat supplied by the accompaniment, than a solo pianist who has to be careful not to sound contrived, or even amateurish grin.

Personally, I believe that many of these methods of elevating one's interpretation to new expressive heights can be picked up by listening to lots of great pianists, past & present - and to other great instrumentalists and singers. (When I got interested in opera and Lieder, my piano playing became much more freely expressive: I was already unconsciously making use of the kind of expressive devices used by singers, as well as their phrasing and 'breathing' - the bel canto quality so often implicit in Chopin, for example). Of course, technique and expression go together - without the former, one would struggle with the latter.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Gooddog #2305985 07/23/14 02:18 PM
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
@bennevis- It's funny you mentioned the desynchronization of the hands. Within the last year, I asked my teacher how to give the illusion of a sound increasing in dynamic after it has been struck - much like a singer or violin creating a crescendo while holding a single note. Desynchronization was his answer.

Best regards,

Deborah
Gooddog #2305986 07/23/14 02:19 PM
N
N
Oo, I have one. So sometimes, you play a really pretty piece and there's this climatic note--something minor and sad. The instinct is to play it louder, since it's the climax of a phrase. My piano teacher once asked me to build up to that note (this was Rachmaninoff's Elegie), but then play the note softly.

It was mind blowing how different that phrase sounded, it was that much more interesting and that much more dramatic.

In general, I think what he was teaching me is how to surprise listeners. I think the element of surprise is very important in music, art, theater.. life in general.

Anyway, that was one of my favorite musical moments.

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by neuralfirings
Oo, I have one. So sometimes, you play a really pretty piece and there's this climatic note--something minor and sad. The instinct is to play it louder, since it's the climax of a phrase. My piano teacher once asked me to build up to that note (this was Rachmaninoff's Elegie), but then play the note softly.

It was mind blowing how different that phrase sounded, it was that much more interesting and that much more dramatic.

In general, I think what he was teaching me is how to surprise listeners. I think the element of surprise is very important in music, art, theater.. life in general.

Anyway, that was one of my favorite musical moments.
A very good point but it's important that this device not be overused.

Best regards,

Deborah
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I saw one of the best masterclasses I have ever seen yesterday where the student played the Schumann Fantasy. The student was about to enter a doctoral program in piano performance. But the master class giver, the phenomenal Alexandre Moutouzkine, showed(in a very nice way) that there were an almost endless list of things the student was doing wrong. Of course, the student was not aware of these problems even though her playing was far beyond 99+% of amateurs.

A competent musician can always find an endless list of things to criticize, even in famous pianists. I can listen to a Lisitsa recording and comment nonstop through the entire thing on what she could be doing better.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Gooddog #2305991 07/23/14 02:22 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Oh, this brings to mind something I just learned at the VCM Summer Piano Academy. I was listening to Evgeny Kissen on YouTube playing Liszt's "Funeraille". His bass notes are positively frightening. He produces a sense of dread and inevitability that sounds like death approaching. I asked how Kissen was producing that feeling; was he playing the notes late? She told me...

Who told you? I thought your teacher was a man.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Oh, this brings to mind something I just learned at the VCM Summer Piano Academy. I was listening to Evgeny Kissen on YouTube playing Liszt's "Funeraille". His bass notes are positively frightening. He produces a sense of dread and inevitability that sounds like death approaching. I asked how Kissen was producing that feeling; was he playing the notes late? She told me...

This was at the VCM Summer Piano Academy in Victoria B.C. I had two private lessons with Michelle Mares who studied with Leon Fleisher, Alfred Brendel and others.

Best regards,

Deborah
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

I can listen to many recordings and comment nonstop through the entire thing on what the pianist could be doing differently to fit my liking.

FTFY.

R. W. Emerson
Gooddog #2305995 07/23/14 02:29 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

This was at the VCM Summer Piano Academy in Victoria B.C. I had two private lessons with Michelle Mares who studied with Leon Fleisher, Alfred Brendel and others.

Sounds like a quality teacher.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Atrys #2305996 07/23/14 02:29 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

I can listen to many recordings and comment nonstop through the entire thing on what the pianist could be doing differently to fit my liking.

FTFY.

If you like.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

That's an understatement. All of the teachers at the Summer Academy are top notch. I always come away with new insights.

Best regards,

Deborah
Gooddog #2306000 07/23/14 02:37 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

That's an understatement. All of the teachers at the Summer Academy are top notch. I always come away with new insights.

I'm sure.

Be careful not to take anything they say too seriously, though. There may be even more qualified musicians who disagree. Everything a teacher tells you that you don't agree with yourself should be taken with a whole container of salt.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

I'm sure.

Be careful not to take anything they say too seriously, though. There may be even more qualified musicians who disagree. Everything a teacher tells you that you don't agree with yourself should be taken with a whole container of salt.

"Be careful not to take anything everything they say too seriously...."

When a problem is "solved" by a practical suggestion or "Eureka!" advice from a teacher, why should that not be taken seriously? If it works, I do take the advice seriously.

I've heard performances and have had lessons with the same teacher and can attest that not only is she an outstanding performer but that she is also a wonderfully gifted teacher.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gooddog #2306079 07/23/14 05:23 PM
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Deborah, thank you for bringing this up again.

As an amateur I too am following the very informative comments so far with interest.

I might only add that one of my drawbacks has always been about the time I could spend to perfect a piece. There really was never enough time. Because I had other things that I had to do.
But, if perfecting a piece were my first priority in life, I am sure I could come up with a performance that would not leave that last 10% out.

Hakki #2306096 07/23/14 06:05 PM
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately, you are right. Besides all the technical things we need to do to make a performance special, we always have to consider available time, something many of us do not have. I find myself thinking, "Gee, if I could play this 500 times more, it would be perfect." That's tough to do with a full time job and only 1 to 2 hours of practice time a day.[Linked Image]

Best regards,

Deborah
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission