2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene
What's worse is when a bot is allowed to come on this forum and spew out "knowledge" and clog up threads that originally are helpful to those involved. When will this thing get banned?

Another thing that's been asked ad nauseum.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Poetry, art and architecture are the ones you really need to know about.

None of those things address the physical act of playing. They may help with artistic ideas (which are really just material happenings in your brain), but they won't help with an understanding of the physical act of piano play.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vid
Can you site sources where scientific knowledge is applied to piano technique and pedagogy?

This isn't a challenge to your views at all but I'm genuinely interested in investigating such sources and find out what scientific research offers to the field.
Oy. You don't think this has been asked ad nauseum?

Learned my lesson. Just go to all scientific literature in the English language and I will find the answer.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
When you think about it forums are the perfect place to do the Turing Test. This one certainly fails!

Laissez tomber les mains
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Vid

Just go to all scientific literature in the English language and I will find the answer.

No, you won't be able to do that, and you don't need to either.

Just perform some searches on some journals as a starting point; it's pretty easy to intuit your way around the research-space after that.

Last edited by Atrys; 07/22/14 03:17 PM.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
When you think about it forums are the perfect place to do the Turing Test. This one certainly fails!

There wasn't a Turing Test being run anywhere. A test that is not run cannot fail.

R. W. Emerson

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Atrys
Originally Posted by carey

Sadly, very few folks receive a "proper" education these days
You can tell when you see the amount of false information spread in many areas of artistic pedagogy (piano being principal among them all).
Actually I'm referring to sad state of education in general, as evidenced by the growing number of high school graduates who can barely read, have only rudimentary math skills, and can't write their way out of a paper bag. And the situation isn't always much better at the college level (depending on the institution, of course). As for artistic pedagogy - many teachers simply teach the same way they were taught - and pedagogy courses aren't necessarily focused on "science."

I was simply saying that "most folks become perfectly fine pianists without any knowledge whatsoever of those scientific physical laws."
We all know what you literally wrote; I'm talking about what is implied by your writing. Scientific knowledge makes people better pianists.
MY understanding of the IMPLICATION of MY OWN statement is markedly different than your understanding of it. As for YOUR statement that "Scientific knowledge makes people better pianists," I'd qualify that by saying "Scientific knowledge has the potential to make some people better pianists...however, the information must be received, understood and put into practice. Not all folks are interested in or capable of doing that. Their loss, perhaps - but that's the way it is.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
B
Originally Posted by Vid
Originally Posted by Vid
Can you site sources where scientific knowledge is applied to piano technique and pedagogy?

This isn't a challenge to your views at all but I'm genuinely interested in investigating such sources and find out what scientific research offers to the field.
Oy. You don't think this has been asked ad nauseum?

Learned my lesson. Just go to all scientific literature in the English language and I will find the answer.

Alternatively, become adept with the Google search engine, and you'll soon discover where the troll finds his ludicrous and nonsensical 'facts'.

Seriously, the troll is spewing out lots of silly conjectures based on choice bits picked up from various websites, most of which are laughable in their idiocy. The latest one on the interossei muscles of the hand (which I'm very familiar with, having dissected my way through a cadaver during the training for my present job) is but one of numerous examples in this thread alone.

Let's all stop feeding this troll, before some of us - especially newer PW members - start questioning our own (and our teachers') judgements and reasonings of the how and why of the art of playing the piano.

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

As for artistic pedagogy - many teachers simply teach the same way they were taught

That right there is precisely the problem.

Not all folks are interested in or capable of doing that.

These people are known as "ignorant" or "close-minded", but yes, I agree these sorts of people do exist. Those poor people.

R. W. Emerson

None of those things address the physical act of playing. They may help with artistic ideas (which are really just material happenings in your brain), but they won't help with an understanding of the physical act of piano play.
Perhaps this entire thread has simply been a material happening in my brain....although it feels more like a broken record that keeps repeating and repeating and repeating......

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Vid

Just go to all scientific literature in the English language and I will find the answer.

No, you won't be able to do that, and you don't need to either.

Just perform some searches on some journals as a starting point; it's pretty easy to intuit your way around the research-space after that.

Cite one specific source *you* think is relevant to your point. *That* would be a starting point relevant to this discussion.

Just a single one, so we can judge for ourselves whether any of what you are saying has been tested and proven through rigorous research as thoroughly as you claim. That's not asking too much, is it?

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Perhaps this entire thread has simply been a material happening in my brain

I can confirm that it is not, and this thread is indeed real. It exists in a MySQL database outside of your mind...

R. W. Emerson
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Saranoya

Cite one specific source you think is relevant to your point.

Which point?

R. W. Emerson
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

Perhaps this entire thread has simply been a material happening in my brain

I can confirm that it is not, and this thread is indeed real. It exists in a MySQL database outside of your mind...
The internet has come alive. It's alive I tell you!

Laissez tomber les mains

As for artistic pedagogy - many teachers simply teach the same way they were taught

That right there is precisely the problem.
Of course it is. A no brainer.
Originally Posted by atrys
Not all folks are interested in or capable of doing that.
These people are known as "ignorant" or "close-minded", but yes, I agree these sorts of people do exist. Those poor people.
No - that's simply how YOU apparently choose to perceive and classify them. And I hope you realize how unbelievably condescending your "these sorts of people" and "those poor people" statements are.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
No - that's simply how YOU apparently choose to perceive and classify them.

Nope. It is a factually correct statement to say that these sorts of people are ignorant. It's not only my opinion, it's also a factual claim to truth.

R. W. Emerson
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
@ Atrys: A page or so ago, Vid asked you this question: can you cite sources where scientific knowledge is applied to piano technique and pedagogy?

Your response was to refer him to a Wikipedia page listing whatever scientific journals random people have thought to add, in a variety of disciplines so wide as to be pointless in the context of this particular conversation. It makes me think you are pulling your "objective truths" out of your hat, and to hide it, you tell people to "do their own homework".

Get me one peer-reviewed article that reports specifically on the relationship between movement and pianistic skill. Then perhaps, we can have a meaningful conversation based on that.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Vid asked you this question: can you cite sources where scientific knowledge is applied to piano technique and pedagogy?

My response was appropriate and addressed his request.

Get me one peer-reviewed article that reports specifically on the relationship between movement and pianistic skill.

One does not need an article to know that piano play is a physical feat, so of course movement and motions makeup this feat.

Jesus, it's like some of you people have never done homework or research or any other kind of intellectual endeavor in your whole life. Don't expect to be spoonfed everything. Laziness is just one of many paths to ignorance.

R. W. Emerson

No - that's simply how YOU apparently choose to perceive and classify them.

Nope. It is a factually correct statement to say that these sorts of people are ignorant. It's not only my opinion, it's also a factual claim to truth.

Sure - whatever you want to believe is fine. Perception is reality after all. grin

Last edited by carey; 07/22/14 04:14 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Vid asked you this question: can you cite sources where scientific knowledge is applied to piano technique and pedagogy?

My response was appropriate and addressed his request.

Get me one peer-reviewed article that reports specifically on the relationship between movement and pianistic skill.

One does not need an article to know that piano play is a physical feat, so of course movement and motions makeup this feat.

Jesus, it's like some of you people have never done homework or research or any other kind of intellectual endeavor in your whole life. Don't expect to be spoonfed everything. Laziness is just one of many paths to ignorance.

You are a funny guy, Atrys. And so, oh so predictable. Once more, you've convinced me that talking to you is a waste of my time. This time it took only two posts. I'm learning.

By the way, I am in fact currently engaged in the writing of a chapter for an international scientific monograph, slated for publication in the first half of 2016. I know exactly how to "do my own homework". I just doubt that you do.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission