2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by turandot
It's been many years now, but I too feel the need to apologize to Rich G.

Years ago, I was on holiday...let's just say... somewhere in Spain. I was eating lunch at a third-rate sidewalk cafe when I snatched the Cinzno ashtray off the table and pocketed it. Then I left inconspicuously without paying for my meal. The next morning I stole the bathmat from my hotel room and checked out hurriedly with the bathmat wrapped around my head to disguise my identity.

I know now that those actions were very wrong and I am so-o-o bummed out about the whole thing. But at that time I was young, naive, and hungry. I hadn't eaten in 3 weeks. I desperately needed that mat for my bathroom and I needed the ashtray too. I smoked like a chimney in those days and my crushed butts were all over the floor. I was down on my luck and just couldn't afford to pay for those items.

Shortly thereafter I left the city where I was staying and took up residence in a Benedictine Abbey where I spent the next 36 years cleaning the latrines and cleansing my soul.

Rich,

I am so-o-o sorry for any harm my actions night have done to you personally or to your business interests.

Auntie T

I know your tongue is planted firmly in your cheek with this post Auntie T. I am missing your point, but... I accept your apology?

Also, Mahermusic (the OP here), you are not accepting PMs and I would like to get in touch with you.

Please feel free to use the contact info. in my sig.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
M
OP Offline
M
It's been many years now, but I too feel the need to apologize to Rich G.

Years ago, I was on holiday...let's just say... somewhere in Spain. I was eating lunch at a third-rate sidewalk cafe when I snatched the Cinzno ashtray off the table and pocketed it. Then I left inconspicuously without paying for my meal. The next morning I stole the bathmat from my hotel room and checked out hurriedly with the bathmat wrapped around my head to disguise my identity.

I know now that those actions were very wrong and I am so-o-o bummed out about the whole thing. But at that time I was young, naive, and hungry. I hadn't eaten in 3 weeks. I desperately needed that mat for my bathroom and I needed the ashtray too. I smoked like a chimney in those days and my crushed butts were all over the floor. I was down on my luck and just couldn't afford to pay for those items.

Shortly thereafter I left the city where I was staying and took up residence in a Benedictine Abbey where I spent the next 36 years cleaning the latrines and cleansing my soul.

Rich,

I am so-o-o sorry for any harm my actions night have done to you personally or to your business interests.

Auntie T

Man...this is cryptic. Is this like one of those things that describe where a hidden treasure is buried if we are able to decipher just what you are talking about?

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Also, Mahermusic (the OP here), you are not accepting PMs

Huh! I never knew that... Should be fixed now.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P

Also, Mahermusic ... I would like to get in touch with you.

You see, we need to know who 'Guido' should pay a visit to...

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phacke

Keep your eyes peeled for this guy-> smokin cursing

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by phacke

Keep your eyes peeled for this guy-> smokin cursing

I don't know how, but somehow everybody here knows my Uncle Guido. And yet they play piano and they can type, so they most likely still have most of their fingers.

Interesting...

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Is that Uncle Guido who is always carrying a violin case?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
OP Offline
M
That's odd....I keep getting PM's from someone in the "cement" business....

(had to say it...)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mahermusic

Man...this is cryptic. Is this like one of those things that describe where a hidden treasure is buried if we are able to decipher just what you are talking about?

Sorry, no treasure Maher.

I was looking through the list of threads here late Sunday to see if there was anything of interest. Your thread caught my eve because of the unusual title.

Reading you opening post, I couldn't understand why you would feel a necessity to apologize, especially many years later in such a public style. Cross-shopping -- sending an unknown face to the competitor's place -- is kind of a fact of life in the industry. I don't know what kind of dirt can reasonably be gathered though because if the mole is identified, he'll get nothing. If he's not identified, he'll be perceived as a consumer. It's not easy to gather dirt that way either.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in my opinion carrying guilt around for years for the breach of ethics you described is about as necessary as Jean Valjean seeking out Inspector Javert to confess that he stole the frig'n bread and asking to be executed.

The comment about Rich being pure evil cracked me up. In my experience no piano dealer is pure evil and no piano dealer is pure gold either, even Saint Rich.

Anyway, congratulations for having such a worthwhile career after you exited the biz.

Keep the faith

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
ca·thar·sis

/ke'THärsis/

noun

1. the process of releasing, and thereby providing relief from, strong or repressed emotions.

synonyms: emotional release, relief, release, venting

Marty in Minnesota

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
di·dac·tic adjective \dī-ˈdak-tik, də-\ adj.
: designed or intended to teach people something

—used to describe someone or something that tries to teach something (such as proper or moral behavior) in a way that is annoying or unwanted

Synonyms
pedantic, preachy, donnish, pedagogic.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
KurtZ,

That sounds like a description for some of my... not so subtle poetry... you know, the ones in didactic pentameter?

Hey Turandot...nice to see you, man. I'm back at Blossom Festival with Cleveland Orchestra in four weeks! (the previous sentence was a stellar example of unsaintly and blatant self-promotion grin)

BC

Last edited by Beacon Chris; 07/23/14 10:24 AM.

Musician, Singer, Teacher, Humorist, Dad...

“I have an inferiority complex, but it’s not a very good one.”
― Steven Wright
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

Cross-shopping -- sending an unknown face to the competitor's place -- is kind of a fact of life in the industry. I don't know what kind of dirt can reasonably be gathered though because if the mole is identified, he'll get nothing. If he's not identified, he'll be perceived as a consumer. It's not easy to gather dirt that way either.

I am not speaking for Mahermusic, but I think I know where he is coming from. This competing dealer, like some, trains his salespeople and checks his facts later... if at all. They usually spend more time talking about others than themselves in a typical presentation.

Today his salespeople tell customers that the Matchless Cunningham is a terrible piano that we order from the cheapest supplier with no name and then put a decal with our name on it.

Yes it is ridiculous and yes I feel that most do not believe it. But some do.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
T
T

I am not speaking for Mahermusic, but I think I know where he is coming from. This competing dealer, like some, trains his salespeople and checks his facts later... if at all. They usually spend more time talking about others than themselves in a typical presentation.

Today his salespeople tell customers that the Matchless Cunningham is a terrible piano that we order from the cheapest supplier with no name and then put a decal with our name on it.

Yes it is ridiculous and yes I feel that most do not believe it. But some do.

When I visited the store, which it will remain nameless, I heard the same thing. When the comparison was brought up when I was shopping for a piano, I politely corrected the sales person at that store that what he/she was telling me was not true. I told them repeatedly, I personally tried the Cunningham Piano, their sound rivals or if not better than more than 75% of the piano they have in stock.

Once they realized that I am speaking the truth and my arguments had some meat in them, they backed down. I wish I can play them again.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Friends:

For those of you who have NOT played one of the new Cunningham grands, I can attest that during a brief visit to the shop and showrooms some ten months ago, I played a new 5'11" grand that bore no resemblance to any other Asian piano of my acquaintance. It had beauty, authority, colour and a touching, lyric quality. Like so many other modern pianos it was a feast for the eye. However, the real difference came in the playing and the hearing. The new Matchless Cunningham has its own distinctive and very artistic tone.

There are other, much more experienced and able hands/ears amongst this forum who have had the same experience.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ditto, Karl!

I OWN a Matchless Cunningham Parlour Grand.

And I absolutely love it! It sings!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

I am not speaking for Mahermusic,

Nor do you need to.

Various opinions of the Matchless Cunningham have nothing to do with Mahler's public apology. My point was simply that the guy shouldn't be beating himself up for acquiescing to participate in a common industry practice "many many year"s ago. .

Mahler didn't introduce Matchless Cunningham pianos into his topic. The were irrelevant since the incident he referred to happened "many many years" ago when there were no new Matchless Cunninghams on the market..

I suppose I should congratulate you for keeping a spent thread alive by inserting your house brand of piano into it and bringing the horrible practices of your competitor up to date.

But I won't.

Last edited by turandot; 07/25/14 02:20 AM.
M
OP Offline
M

Mahler didn't introduce Matchless Cunningham pianos into his topic.

Hahaha.... why THANK YOU!!!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Mahler's public apology.

Did Mahler finally apologize for the length of his symphonies?

Just maybe he is decomposing his symphonies as well as himself.

wink

Marty in Minnesota

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wondered 'mahermusic' in reading your initial posting, why you didn't send it as a PM to Rich. It seems well intentioned, though what's with the need to apologize anonymously worldwide publicly ?

Rich, receives a lot of attention and accolades here, perhaps more than any other person in the piano business here on PW.
He well may deserve ongoing praise for his pianos and commitment to music and piano , but continual threads that keep linking to his business, here on PW, get rather redundant, obsessive and advertising orientated.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission