2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
29 members (FloRi89, EVC2017, CyberGene, Greta99, clothearednincompo, 1957, Hammertime, Chouca, 8 invisible), 407 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yamaha CLP-430 or Kawai CA-65
#2301544 07/12/14 02:08 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Hello,

I've been following the forum for quite some time and reading the comments on various digital pianos, but finally decided to register to ask for some advice. I am planning to buy a digital piano soon and I've narrowed my choices to Yamaha CLP-430 and Kawai CA65. To see them personally, I went to several stores today, and to me, a complete beginner, both of them felt and sounded great. And in terms of price, I got some really great discounts from different sellers for both of these pianos. But I can't decide which one I should choose. I am hoping someone experienced here could give me some advice.

Thank you,

Last edited by ilkergoksen; 07/13/14 03:56 AM.
Re: Yamaha CLP-430 or Kawai CA-65
ilkergoksen #2302054 07/14/14 01:28 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ilkergoksen, welcome to the forum.

Both instruments are very good, and will serve you well as a beginner.

Personally speaking, I believe the CA65 is the superior instrument, as it offers a superior keyboard action (100% real wooden keys) and more advanced sound technology (88-key piano sampling). The Kawai is also rather more feature rich, with MP3/WAV playback and recording to USB, a graphic LCD display, and many Virtual Technician parameters for customising the sound.

Please note that Yamaha have introduced the new CLP-5x5 series of instruments, that represent a considerable improvement over the previous generation models. The CLP-545, for example, is a much closer competitor to the CA65 than the CLP-430 you are considering.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
ilkergoksen #2303070 07/16/14 02:48 PM
T
T
Or maybe the Yamaha CLP-470. The CLP 400 series are being discontinued with the 500 series introduction. You may get a good deal on a 470.

With that being said, the 545 has all of the latest greatest "stuff" in it.

ilkergoksen #2303103 07/16/14 04:27 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I don't know how you can compare the CLP430 to CA65, when the price difference is like 700USD between them.
The CA65 is superior (and that word in not enough) to the CLP 430 in every aspect.
As theoak wrote, you can look for discounted 470 model, which is comparable to CA65, or look for Roland or new series of Yamaha.

Sorry, we will not tell you which one is better. This is a choice like "hey guys should I marry blonde or brunette". It's personal taste. 470-545-CA65-HP506 you need to play and choose the one you like. Otherwise, you may like or not like at all the piano.

If you are complete begginer, but that one that feel more comfortable with sound and touch. As for the older Yamahas, me (and not only) thinks that they are like few years back in technology to the CA65 or New rolands (or even older rolands), however, I did not played the new CLP5xx series, so I cannot comment on them.

They are so different, that you need to try and take the one you like better. If you are unedecided, which one to choose, because they are equally superior to you, buy the one which is cheaper or better looking.

ilkergoksen #2303130 07/16/14 06:05 PM
T
T
From a tech perspective you will get more bang for your buck via Roland or Kawai.

To me, Yamaha is kind of like Apple, in that you will pay a premium for their products. It does not mean though that their products are better. They just think they are wink

If I were to invest in a Yamaha however, it would be a CLP-535 or higher. Yamaha as improved the action and comes with newer piano sounds.

theoak #2303136 07/16/14 06:26 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by theoak
From a tech perspective you will get more bang for your buck via Roland or Kawai.

To me, Yamaha is kind of like Apple, in that you will pay a premium for their products. It does not mean though that their products are better. They just think they are wink

Apple knows its products are better, and knows everyone else knows that too, only they won't admit it (because they're stuck with PCs for whatever reason).

Whereas Yamaha thinks its products are better, but knows everyone else in the know knows otherwise......... wink

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #2303138 07/16/14 06:34 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by theoak

Apple knows its products are better, and knows everyone else knows that too, only they won't admit it (because they're stuck with PCs for whatever reason).

Whereas Yamaha thinks its products are better, but knows everyone else in the know knows otherwise......... wink

if your sentenes both are with ";)" than I agree wink
REgarding Apple... well.. in really hundreds of things they are years behind the current. but apple is a religion, not the tech-wise buying. Remember please, that firt iphone was completely bought from chinese company. They just improved it and then sold as their big success made from scratch. Overprices toys for apple fundamentalists. BTW, Apple stuff is hanging also often, not less than Android, I have both so I can say wink

REgarding the Yamaha I agree smile
Overprices because of name and recognition, to less value for money, well, at least in digital pianos (to the 4xx series). I am curious of the 5xx series. Maybe I will change my opinion wink

kapelli #2303160 07/16/14 08:31 PM
Not wishing to drift too far off-topic, but...

Originally Posted by kapelli
Remember please, that firt iphone was completely bought from chinese company. They just improved it and then sold as their big success made from scratch.

I was not aware of this, and would be interested to learn more about the iPhone's origins if you're able to provide a link. Of course, I understand that the product is manufactured in China, however I had always assumed that the original concept was designed by Apple in California. Is this not the case?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
ilkergoksen #2303253 07/17/14 03:22 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you all for the replies. The reason I am comparing these two is because I got very similar prices for these two pianos from two different stores. As I understand from visiting at least 6-7 stores in the last week, music stores are having a hard time financially here in Turkey, so they are giving extra discounts to attract the customers. I got a good price for Kawai CA65 and bought it. I also tried Yamaha CLP440, CLP430 and Kawai CA65 side by side, and liked the Kawai better. Now I am waiting for the delivery and looking forward to learning.

ilkergoksen #2303260 07/17/14 04:58 AM
C
cub Offline
C
Congrats on your new piano. You've chosen an instrument you can 'grow into' over the years as you learn how to play. The CA-65 has a very highly regarded action which will give you a nice realistic feel at the keyboard and good control over the piano sound. Hope you enjoy it very much.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,853
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission