2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 289 of 452 1 2 287 288 289 290 291 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Barry, it looks like you're just about ready to start on "Blow the Man Down." From what I've been reading, it's a tough one for most people, but doable of course.

I'm still working through the saints marching on songs. I think it'll be a couple more days before I'll be able to play through both versions back to back. I'm thinking I might maybe try to record an audio file of it once I get to that point, assuming I can figure out how.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
E
E
I'm still in Jingle Bells :-) In "Harmonic 4ths & 5ths". I don't know which page is that because in Kindle it doesn't show pages! Only progressing and 'strange' location (180 of 556). It is the first time that I'm using both hands in playing something and this is a big challenge for me. It is almost done good (that is, Jingle Bells), but still not 100% correct (I feel). It is not easy to be self-critical but when I can reach playing the piece comfortably with relaxed (almost) hands/fingers, I know I did it. I think I need about 5 years to reach my goal in learning the Piano (intermediate level), but it is just a guess!

I don't have a teacher and I don't have Piano :-O but I hope next month I can get a digital piano. About the teacher, hmmmmmm, I don't know really. I wish I could have a 'good' teacher, but I think a good teacher is not easy to find and costs a lot.

So, for my learning with Alfred's book level 1, I use a notation software and my Midi keyboard (synth action feel) to enter the notes. It is a nice way of practising as well.

My plan is to get a digital piano first, then finish level 1 of Alfred's books then start Level 2 and then 3 later. I have also a software tutorial as well and I'm going through level 1 (there is level 2 later) and of course PianoWorld Forum is a great place to learn/read advices from other users/teachers :-)

Good luck to all and have fun learning :-)

J
J
Hi guys!

Glad to see that there are others in the same boat as I am. I'm 37 and I started with my first lesson in early June. I'm using the Alfred's book and I'm on page 62. I try to practice for an hour a day (sometimes that is impossible) and when I do I go through the last 20 or so pages in the book, playing through the songs and exercises. I also go through some scales and other exercises that my teacher showed me.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi! Also, I'm wondering what the other competing beginner books are...I started Alfred's because that is what my teacher has, but maybe there are others? Better ones?

Good luck guys and keep practicing!

Jay

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome Jay!

Just do what your teacher says.

Learner
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by JayG42

Anyway, just wanted to say hi! Also, I'm wondering what the other competing beginner books are...I started Alfred's because that is what my teacher has, but maybe there are others? Better ones?

Jay

Teachers I think are generally happy to work from several books as long as the student is learning. There is no one method and no one method book. If you like classical music this link to Fundamental Keys has gotten a lot of good mentions of late but I have never used it.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello people!

I bought a keyboard and some learning books (including Alfred's) at the start of the year but only lasted around 3 or 4 weeks before seemingly running out of time and energy. However this last week or so I'm getting excited about music again.

I have played guitar at what I would describe an advanced beginner level for a number of years, as well as drums and bass. I would love to learn to play the piano too, so my time is split between the two. My short term goal for piano is to finish Alfred's book one.

I am also documenting the process on a youtube channel, I have found there is a world of difference between thinking I can play something, and being able to play it cleanly to a metronome with a camera on record! I find this process helps me focus on each piece properly and helps combat my natural desire to rush through the learning as quickly as possible.

Anyway nice to meet you all and see you around.

The last song I have properly played is Beautiful Brown Eyes, here it is on my youtube channel if anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK7P5dj_CDs

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
EnGee: Hello and welcome! Since I'm not very far along in the book, I still do Jingle Bells every day as part of my review/practice routine. It was also the first time for me to use both hands, and it did not come easily to me.

I can't imagine doing Alfred's from the kindle. Actually, I didn't even know that was an option. How do you do the worksheet sections?

Do you already have a DP picked out? I just upgraded from a Yamaha 76 key DP to a Casio 88 key DP, and wow what a difference. So different, that I'm actually back-tracking and running through everything from the beginning to help me get used to the action of the keys. I strongly recommend that you try to get something as soon as possible. And good luck to you too!

JayG42: Hi Jay! Which book are you using? That's some nice progress. If it's the AIO book then you're about half way through already. Did you just recently start using the damper pedal? If so, how did that go? It's great that you started out with a teacher. Hopefully that's working out well for you.

As for your question about other methods, you may want to start a new thread about it in the Adult Beginner's Forum.

AndrewAJC: Hi there Andrew. I checked out your video, and I think you did a great job. BTW, I like the black sleeves on black. Gave it that disembodied hands looks, sort of like Thing in the Addams Family smile. Maybe if you keep coming back here it'll help keep you motivated. Hint, hint!!

Last edited by TX-Bluebonnet; 07/11/14 08:31 PM.

Linda

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
Maybe if you keep coming back here it'll help keep you motivated. Hint, hint!!

That's certainly the idea! This thread is quite inspiring in itself. It feels like I'm in a distance education class with people from all over the world. smile

E
E
Thank you TX-Bluebonnet :-)

It is the third day with Jingle Bells and still couldn't feel comfortable playing it! I believe everything is little bit hard when 'new' but repeating it and practicing more make it easier. I'm not in a rush, I want to take my time (slow indeed!).

How much time do you spend daily? I'm spending one hour (Half an hour with e-media piano tutorial and half an hour with Alfred's book). I think one hour daily is enough for our levels, maybe we can increase it later to two hours with level 2 of the book.

Well, I chose the kindle version because mainly I use the computer for learning so it is easier for me to use Kindle in one half of the screen (27" with 1920x1080 resolution) and the other half is the notation program. My workflow in learning Alfred's book is to have a pen and papers (with musical staff printed) for exercises and the notation program to enter the notes of the exercise. I try to figure out first how it sounds before playing it then playing it in the notation program to hear it, and then start making my noise :-)

Yes, you are right. I need a DP as soon as possible, so that I'm trying to progress very slow because mostly I would repeat everything when purchasing a new DP.

I think you made a good choice by choosing Casio Previa (is it PX 850? I think I read in another thread, maybe). Well, I just spent my saving for the past months on a new desktop computer parts, so I need to save again for a digital piano. I was almost sure to have Kawai ES100 (I love the Kawai brand! I had a nice memory with their keyboards in the 90's!) Anyway, because PX 150 is cheaper with nice keys, I think I will choose Casio PX 150. I need it also as a Midi Controller (just the keys because I have another midi controller with knobs/sliders) to practice/play with software tutorial and other music applications. But I also considering PX 750 (the same price as Kawai ES100) and might put it the other side of the room and plug it to my laptop (you see? I can't do without computers :-O). I still need to go to the shop and play little with them but mostly it is between Casio PX 150 (or PX 750) and Kawai ES100. Casio/Kawai have reasonable prices here while Yamaha DPs are way overpriced and Roland is always expensive.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Think I just hit my first real hurdle on page 89 with 'Blow the Man Down'. The constant bass line with melody on top is a bit much for my brain at this stage. Think I've had enough for today but I should get time tomorrow to tackle it. The good news is I actually like the song so it shouldn't be too much of a grind.

I don't think I can contribute much to a discussion on gear. I do know my keyboard is a Yamaha p105. I don't have much to compare it to but I feel that it's more than adequate for my needs at this stage.

Last edited by AndrewAJC; 07/12/14 08:52 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
EnGee: It took me quite a while to get my hands coordinated on "Jingle Bells." The trickiest parts for me were the 2 'one-horse o-pen sleigh' sections. I ended up ignoring the rest of the song and played just those trouble spots in slo-mo until I finally got it well enough to add back into the song.

If you haven't already, I suggest adding the next page into your practice routine, which includes "Measuring Harmonic 4ths & 5ths" and "Dueling Harmonics." It's good review stuff and will help relieve the monotony of playing JB over and over again, in July no less. crazy

I don't know anything about MIDI controllers. Is it for recording? I was just doing some research on how to connect my DP to my computer so I wouldn't have to record to the USB stick first. I think I have it figured out, but I need to buy a cable first in order to try it. Once the two are connected I'll use the Audacity program to do the recording. Or so I hope.

Andrew: Yeah, "Blow the Man Down" does seem to have popped up now and again during the history of this thread, and not in a good way. laugh What approach are you using? Hands separate before HT? That is good news that you like the song. I can't imagine struggling for days/weeks with a song I didn't like. I also like that song. I've seen quite a few videos of people playing it, and I prefer the versions where it's not being played quite so fast as a lot of them are. Keep us updated on how it's going.

Linda

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, and a progress update: I now have both versions of "When the Saints go Marching in" completed to my satisfaction. cool Until I try to record it, that is. mad I might try again later to get a decent recording of it, but until then I am going to move forward to the G position.

(ETA for EnGee) I don't really keep track of my practice time and sometimes it's in bits and pieces, but I'll guesstimate about an hour a day during weekdays and probably around 4-5 hours during a weekend.

Last edited by TX-Bluebonnet; 07/12/14 05:06 PM.

Linda

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Linda,
Congratulations on your progress! Despite having some setbacks, you're continuing to move forward and you seem to be having fun along the way. Way to go! smile

Warm Regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
E
E
Thanks TX-Bluebonnet. I will see the next page tonight. I have the same difficulty in the same place as you are, but today I'm going to finish Jingle Bells because I'm about 80% there to play it in a good way.

About the MIDI and how to connect your Midi instrument to your computer, you can read section E-35 in your Casio's manual for precise steps on how to connect it. It is in general like connecting your printer (Using the same cable as in a USB printer, so if you have a USB printer, you can use the cable and test your Casio). The Midi in short is a protocol to transmit instructions data (not audio) between the devices/applications that implement Midi. There are two popular ways, the Midi in/thru/out cables and ports, and the Midi over USB.

In relation to Midi, I find the Notation software is very useful for learning and also for recording Midi data sent from my Midi Controller (which is a device/keyboard with or without knobs/modulation wheel/pads ..etc to send Midi instructions usually to Software or another Midi devices, for example I use my Keyboard, Oxygen 49, to record Midi in my notation program or to play/control a software synthesizer). Anyway, I don't want to complicate the things for you. What I suggest is to look at Finale Notepad. It is a free notation program (the catch is they want you to get used to it and then buy a higher edition of Finale, which is a good policy). Finale Notepad can receive/send Midi from your DP after you choose your Midi device in the preferences of the program. What the advantages? Well, the advantages are many, some of them are; easy editing, seeing exactly how the notes are played, and you can record your notes either by playing your DP or entering them by hand (by mouse!).

The other free nice notation program is MuseScore. It is a free open source software, and without limitations (while Finale Notepad is limited to 8 staffs). I still prefer Final Notepad of the two because it is for me easier/nicer to use, although I'm using Notion 4 now which is a commercial software which I like a lot. Choose whatever you feel more comfortable with.

Happy Midi(ing) :-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I got Blow the Man Down okish and the next couple as well, although things will definitely be slower from here for me. I actually found a Alfred's Lesson Book Level 1 which has a lot of the pieces from the All in One book as well as many others, so I went through a lot of them today. I am now up to Lullaby which I seem to be able to play ok until I turn the recorder on, but should get it down soon enough as well.

[video:youtube]21huYLmSjM8[/video]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Very nice playing AndrewAJC but I had to smirk, you have the heater close enough to roast you....just like me. Australian winter's are fairly mild (unless you live in certain areas) but even on the east coast where I live it still feels quite chilly.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah my town is pretty bad for aus. Range today was -2 to 11. Also that heater's a piece of crap, it looks a lot hotter than it is.

Last edited by AndrewAJC; 07/13/14 09:14 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My how which hemisphere you live in matters shocked

35c today with 90% humidity on the east coast here...

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Andrew: You sure got over that BTMD hurdle very quickly. Very well done, congrats. As for that heater tiki, I'm embarrassed to say I thought it was a light of some sort. It didn't occur to me that it's cooler in other parts of the world right now. blush Today's weather forecast for my location is 102deg (39C) and for tomorrow 104deg (40C).

Linda

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
EnGee: How's "Jingle Bells" coming along? I got my DP connected to my computer via the MIDI, so all set with that, thank you. I'm not sure if I want to do the notation software stuff, but if I do and I run into any problems, I'll send you a PM.

Linda

Page 289 of 452 1 2 287 288 289 290 291 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission