2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#2300994 07/11/14 06:45 AM
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I'm finishing up my week at Summerkeys now - having a great time. Then my wife will drop me off at Mount Katahdin and I will walk back to Georgia - I hope!

Follow my adventure here:
http://www.trailjournals.com/forrest14/

I will miss playing the piano - hopefully I can get back up to speed fairly quickly when I get home in 5 or 6 months.

There probably won't be anything profound in my journal, but if I know people are watching, I won't be as likely to give up and go home!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
could you not get a hiking piano lol

5 to 6 months is a long time, are you wild camping along the way?

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
You mean, from Mount Katahdin in Maine to middle of Georgia?? That's about 2000 miles? Wow, you took half a year off from work?

What kind of route do you take? Hills or mainly flat?

Good luck with that hike!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There probably won't be anything profound in my journal, but if I know people are watching, I won't be as likely to give up and go home!

@@>>>>> @Sam S grin

Sam you have my profound admiration in doing this, repeatedly no less. Looking forward to your journal. I once hiked (really just walked) 185 miles and thought it was a big deal. Of course this was 20 or so years ago. Now I do 3-4 miles per day. smile

Last edited by Ragdoll; 07/11/14 08:24 AM. Reason: moved eyeballs

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I should have given a little more info. It's the Appalachian Trail, 2185 miles. I'm going southbound, Maine to Georgia. Hope to done by Christmas. I hike and camp, but get off the trail every 5-7 days to resupply.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Have a great thru-hike, Sam. I have always wanted to do it, having hiked bits and pieces of the AT many years ago. What trail name are you adopting?

Who knows, maybe you'll encounter a "trail angel" with a piano!!

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Awesome, Sam S. Best wishes for a great hike!

I took two weeks off this summer for fishing in Montana. When I got back, I was very rusty at the piano. The first three days were very rough and I was disheartened. But my fingers started coming back first, then my memory. In a little over a week, I was back to where I was before the trip.

Enjoy the adventure!

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Maybe you can keep posting an occasional photo here wink

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I bookmarked you, Sam, and put it right next to my "walking tour" dream site so you'll keep me up for doing it!

I love reading journals, so I'm so glad you're doing it. A friend of mine, before there were online journals, did a long walk in middle America and then published her journal and I read it avidly. Then another friend more recently did a car/camp tour and I followed her for awhile. When I did my long trip in '89 I kept a journal, and sent friends post cards from every stop. One family posted them on a map of the US so their 4-year-old could keep track smile At some point I should finish collating the stuff from that journal. Online seems like a great way to keep it simple but regularly.

Have a great adventure! And thanks so much for letting us share it with the link.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I know a professional cellist who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (2600 miles from Mexico to Canadian border). Some of his internet cello friends (including me) took our cellos to him at various points where the trail nears roadways so he could play. I drove over an hour to meet him near Santa Clarita in Agua Dulce. For my trouble I got a hamburger and a fascinating look into trail culture and the support system that aids the hikers of which I am an official "Trail Angel".

Have a safe trip Sam. Know that your piano friends are with you. Personally I look forward to following your blog.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Good luck, Sam. It'll be fun. Never been on the AT, but have backpacked and peakbagged in the Sierra and along the PCT for a long time.

Don't worry about piano, though. You'll be amazed at the places you'll find one just sitting around. When doing the John Muir Trail a couple of years ago I spent some time on one in Red's Meadow. Last year, I played Bach on a piano in a Death Valley ghost town that probably hadn't been tuned, or regulated, in over a century. The action was a little rough.

What are you using for a pack? My girlfriend and I really like the ULA Circuit. Light, but rugged enough and carries really well. Are you going alcohol, canister, or stoveless?

Gary
C
C
I wits you the best on your 6 month journey - hopefully there isn't much snow and ice this year on the toughest mile part in NH. That's a wonderful picture with your brother on the journal.

There are a lot of magical places on the AT. I always loved the part in Hanover, NH, where you'd slip around the back corner of a baseball field, and suddenly were in a completely different world.

If you still need any PW computer volunteers for anything, I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by carlos88; 07/11/14 11:32 AM.

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Sam, this is fantastic!

My father was a devoted hiker, and some of my fondest memories are of the hikes we took when I was a kid. He always dreamed of walking the AT, talked about it all the time. Sadly, he passed away in 1954, dream unfulfilled. In fact, I don't think he ever got more than 100 miles from home in his whole life. Different world, then.

It is inspiring to realize that after all these years, someone is living out his dream!

Good luck to you!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
What an adventure!!!! I am in awe. Best of luck to you, Sam on your journey. I know many people who dream of doing this. Few actually do it. So, Kudos to you!!! Don't worry. Your piano will welcome you home!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Have a great time through-walking the AT. I've got a coworker here who did 30 days on the PCT last September (starting up north and working his way South.) I personally do a lot of hiking/backpacking, but I'm not a long-distance walker.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Plowboy

Last year, I played Bach on a piano in a Death Valley ghost town that probably hadn't been tuned, or regulated, in over a century. The action was a little rough.

That would be fun to hear. You should have recorded it.

T
T
Sam: Glad to hear you had a great time at SummerKeys! Have a great, safe hiking trip! How wonderful and lucky of you to be able to do that!

(I came back from Lubec with a weekend stay in Boston and arrived home literally a quarter to midnight on Sunday, and had to work the next day--couldn't avoid it, as our office was having a 4-hour training that Monday.)

Work in progress...
Sam, This is good news for me, the fellow I was following in Trail Journals had to leave the trail in New York (NBound) last week because of knee problems. Now I'll be able to follow you. Here's a tune to start your journey: http://youtu.be/4rEJmkUmJlE Good luck, have fun Fred

Roland HP504
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, that's one heck of a walk Sam!

Best wishes - stay safe!

I will look forward to reading you updates - you're in my favourites!

Take care!!!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's a pretty long walk, Sam, but I'm sure you will enjoy the trip!

Be careful, and watch out for snakes, bears and extra terrestrials. laugh

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission