2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (ChrisGoesPiano, Greta99, Andrew_G, earlofmar, Coda9, Bruce Sato, amyram, BachToTheFuture, grd-dan, 9 invisible), 232 guests, and 379 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? #2300653 07/10/14 09:02 AM
A
Abby Pianoman Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm thinking of buying a Yamaha CP4 or Roland RD-800 URGENTLY.

Would appreciate some Pros and Cons from Owners of these 2 Keyboards.

I have a Kawai MP11.

Last edited by Abby Pianoman; 07/10/14 09:46 AM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300685 07/10/14 10:04 AM
T
theoak Offline
T
Abby, from your other posts, you seem to be partial to the Yamaha piano sounds and hence I have a feeling you will get more "satisfaction" out of the CP4 just from a pure piano perspective.

There are quite a few Youtube's out there that compare these two. Just go to youtube and search for Yamaha CP4 and you will find lots of videos.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300695 07/10/14 10:31 AM
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300696 07/10/14 10:36 AM
M
Marko in Boston Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
What is your intention or primary use for one of these boards? Pros and cons may vary based on application is why I'm asking.

Here's another good comparison.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300699 07/10/14 10:40 AM
A
Abby Pianoman Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi Theoak.. and David Farley.
Thanks for the prompt replies
I've looked at quite a few of these videos. The Kawai MP11 also sounded very impressive on the videos. I was hoping for feedback from owners or from those who have actually played these two Instruments.

I live on an Island called Ibiza where there are only 2 Dealers.
They don't have them here. The only way ti actually test one is by ordering it.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300714 07/10/14 11:22 AM
D
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Abby Pianoman
Dave Ferris. . I WILL make this MP11 sound good. Even if it's the last thing I do.

Your whole scenario is not THAT serious, take my word for it. laugh Maybe you should you just get a Nord Piano 2. grin

Seriously-I don't have a lot of playing hours in on the 800 but from what I've experienced, it's Roland's best DP that I've ever played. The 800's action might be a tad more refined then the CP4, but I feel the Yamaha has a quicker response- sound to touch- which is paramount for what I do-jazz.

The Yamaha is close to 10 lbs. lighter in schlepping weight. That was a huge consideration for me.

In the past I've had bad experiences with Roland DPs being too transparent in the mix and not being present enough with bass & drums live. Particularly the 700GX and 300GX. However the 800 is a whole new beast, two generations newer, and I'd be fairly confident in feeling there would be much better results, sonically, with the new sample Roland added.

In my case, I guess it comes down to, I'm pretty much a Yamaha guy for electronic keyboards. They always just work for me - sonically and from an action perspective in a live context.

I don't think you could make a bad choice between either. Again the lighter weight of the CP4 was a major issue for me.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300715 07/10/14 11:24 AM
T
theoak Offline
T
I did see a reference in one of the videos that the CP4 weighed in at around the mid 30 pounds, where the Roland was just over 50 pounds. I cannot remember the specifics. Hence, from a portability perspective, the Yamaha wins hands down here and would definitely save the back some in the setup and take downs on the stages.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300719 07/10/14 11:43 AM
V
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I lean slightly more towards the Roland camp, although I have not played the 800. I have owned (very briefly) both the CP4 and the P-255, and have also owned the FP-7F, FP50 and RD-64 SN Rolands.

Although I think that the CP4 is a very good gigging tool, the obvious sample stretching and looping, plus the slightly compressed/processed AP sound left me a little cold - and I felt that I would be forever bugged by these small issues. Despite that, I've heard some really great recordings from it and, as people have pointed out, you probably wouldn't notice the compromises onstage. The Rhodes variations are truly excellent, also, but I prefer other renditions of the Wurli to Yamaha's.

Generally I find that Roland's SN pianos draw me in, and make me want to play. The rich and evolving sound, and a really great finger/sound connection helps to make you feel as if you're playing an instrument rather than a computer. However, the downside has been a slightly dull sound that is difficult to position in a mix. The 7F was definitely a better solo piano (with a very fast action), and the 50 is nice, but a bit of a poor relation for a number of reasons that are not relevant to this discussion. The 800, however, has been described as "sublime" by some, and the PHA4 action has been very highly praised. The minor inconvenience presented by the power cord safety fix is probably not a deal breaker to most people.

With your Yamaha history, you'll probably be very comfortable with the CP4, but both the CP4 and 800 will give you the kind of full-bodied sound you seem to be looking for.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300723 07/10/14 11:59 AM
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can only say I like my CP4 very much. The action and sound feels very connected. I never get bored with it.

Unfortunately, when I was shopping the MP11 and RD-800 weren't available or I would have at least tried them out. And to be honest, probably would have been happy with any of them. I was already kind of leaning towards Yamaha, though, because I had a low-end Yamaha which was surprisingly good, especially when I hooked it up to external speakers. I liked the CFIII sound and kind of wanted to stick with that.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300725 07/10/14 12:01 PM
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Also, I'm not using it for gigging, so don't give my opinion too much weight. I have moved it from room to room.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300765 07/10/14 01:43 PM
E
emenelton Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I think it is a reasonable argument between the RD800 and MP11, which one is better. The CP4 is not in that league, especially as a solo instrument.

The Kawai is the most natural sounding hardware piano. The RD800 is richer sounding, to some.

The funny sampling anomalies with the kawai, you won't notice those with the dark voicing and appropriate speakers, otherwise the Roland.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: emenelton] #2300809 07/10/14 03:28 PM
M
Marko in Boston Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by emenelton
The CP4 is not in that league, especially as a solo instrument.

What makes you think the CP4 is not in that league? Just curious.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Marko in Boston] #2300816 07/10/14 03:49 PM
E
emenelton Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston

Looping and stretching, - Both Kawai and Roland have pushed the boundaries of every note sampling and seam-less velocity.

To me Kawai's sympathetic resonance is the best of all the hardware pianos as well.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300835 07/10/14 04:33 PM
A
Abby Pianoman Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi everybody. Please keep the feedback coming. I appreciate it very much.
My intention (to save myself a lot of hassle with my dealer) is to keep theKawai MP11 AND buy one of the two other boards. The feedback is helping me get nearer to a decision on which one to go for.
As far as schlepping goes, it is not a problem. I'm schlepping 97 Pounds (Kawai + case) twice a day, 6 days a week( I'm 59). I will use the Kawai and whatever new board, alternatively. Depending on the gig. Some gigs require quiet thoughtful music, while others require Motown and some wild Rock n Roll.

Last edited by Abby Pianoman; 07/10/14 04:34 PM.
Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: emenelton] #2300836 07/10/14 04:37 PM
M
Marko in Boston Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston

Looping and stretching, - Both Kawai and Roland have pushed the boundaries of every note sampling and seam-less velocity.

To me Kawai's sympathetic resonance is the best of all the hardware pianos as well.

Understood owning both Kawai and Roland. I can only imagine the new MPs take it to the next level. However, though minor, I find Yamaha's reverb outstanding. Something genuine about it that makes it convincing and very complimentary to the AP sounds. Especially noted on the CP4 which is just one of the reasons why Im a fan of that board, but not enough to pull me away from Kawai or Roland. YMMV

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300843 07/10/14 04:54 PM
E
emenelton Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hi everybody. Please keep the feedback coming. I appreciate it very much.
My intention (to save myself a lot of hassle with my dealer) is to keep theKawai MP11 AND buy one of the two other boards. The feedback is helping me get nearer to a decision on which one to go for.
As far as schlepping goes, it is not a problem. I'm schlepping 97 Pounds (Kawai + case) twice a day, 6 days a week( I'm 59). I will use the Kawai and whatever new board, alternatively. Depending on the gig. Some gigs require quiet thoughtful music, while others require Motown and some wild Rock n Roll.

Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: emenelton] #2300881 07/10/14 06:47 PM
G
GWILLY Offline
G
Hi. I posted this on the RD800 owners thread, but my feeling after owning this piano for a while now (and owned previously an RD700NX, and GX...) is that this keyboard is quite a bit improved over the others. I have not tried the Yamaha. However what I've really noticed is that the piano designer functions can really add a dimensionality that is not noticeable on the youtube videos. There's a lot of power to enhance the sound, and it really sings after you spend some time with it. The action is quite a bit improved, and the EP's are amazing. I haven't really dug into the tonewheel organs yet, but I can say they too sound much better. And there's so many great other sounds.

As I mentioned I haven't played the Yamaha, and I'm sure for gigging "bread and butter" sounds, you can't go wrong with either, but I suspect there's more flexibility and (usable) sounds on the RD800. Just my .02 smile

Last edited by GWILLY; 07/10/14 06:52 PM.
Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300895 07/10/14 07:27 PM
A
Abby Pianoman Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Downloaded and listened to the comparison. The Cp4 does have a beautiful reverb. Some keys 1 octave above middle C had a bit of keyboardiness to them. But then, most DPs have that problem. The pitch bend and modulation wheels are a bit out of place. I also liked the clarity of the Roland sound . I'm going to listen to a lot more videos of these 2 Dps in the next day or so. I have downloaded the manuals and sound/data lists of both and will read up even more in the next couple of days. I value your opinions. They ARE helpful.

Last edited by Abby Pianoman; 07/10/14 07:27 PM.
Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2300905 07/10/14 08:20 PM
M
Marko in Boston Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I have downloaded the manuals and sound/data lists of both and will read up even more in the next couple of days.

Great idea if you cant demo. I did that regardless. In the end the RD800 was everything I wanted and then some. The sound continual amazes me the more I dig into it. After using for months it has brought my playing to a new level that I never anticipated when I got into the digital world not too long ago. Thanks to an opportunity my band gave to me, I returned the favor by purchasing and learning the RD800. I practice hard, programmed a bunch of awesome live sets, and now we have significantly expanded our playlist to meet our customers demands (whether we like the songs or not wink ). I owe most of it to the sound and versatility of the RD800. It's been a great tool and an absolute pleasure to play. I constantly get compliments on its sound and Im not the best pianist/keyboardist that's for sure! I highly recommend the RD800 for live performance

Regarding the CP4. I have played/demoed many times but recently got to play it live. My friend (and coworker) plays in a band as well. He has a CP4 and a few other nice synths he uses live. This past holiday last week, I was at a (very informal) private house party that his band was playing at he invited me to sit in on a song. I took a quick look at their playlist and I went with Joe Cocker's Feelin' Alright as I know that one by heart. He cued up the CP4 sound for me and I jumped right in feeling completely connected and comfortable. While playing I was anticipated the solo about 2 minutes in hoping I could pull it off with a board im not used to playing. The CP4's action felt light and so forgiving that I pulled it off easily and seemed to please the audiences (however, you guys would have picked out a few of my stumbles and maybe giggled at my improvisations laugh ) So yes, I had a very nice connection and experience with a CP4 in a live situation outside of GC. With that said, yes it was a great experience with "one" song. Would it have all functionality, versatility, sound, and ease I need for my situation? Not sure, but I knew right away with the RD800 was the better choice for me. This does not mean the RD800 is "better" than the CP4. The RD800 just seems to be the better instrument to my ears, needs, and overall preferences. Could I live with a CP4? heck ya! But I truly think GWILLY said it best: "I'm sure for gigging "bread and butter" sounds, you can't go wrong with either, but I suspect there's more flexibility and (usable) sounds on the RD800." At the end of the day, it's pretty much that simple.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 07/10/14 08:35 PM.
Re: Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ? [Re: Abby Pianoman] #2301004 07/11/14 06:52 AM
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Abby,

just an observation- not a criticism. I'm amazed that you have a newest generation board- an MP11 - and are already looking for another keyboard. is that because you are disappointed in the MP11? if that is the case I doubt that either the RD 800 or the CP4 will satisfy you. Ever thought of moving into software pianos and using the MP11 to control them? there are real limitations to DP's.... and there are real limitations to software pianos..... and there are real limitations with acoustic pianos. The only perfect piano is in our heads. i'm still trying to find a way to download that one.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
(Vent) I hate my new electric piano
by Mariner - 02/24/20 12:53 AM
Choice of two old pianos
by ksdaddy - 02/23/20 07:59 PM
Kawai "Harmonic Imaging" - Progressive vs XL
by Ragtime2k - 02/23/20 07:35 PM
Garritan CFX problem
by kbrod1 - 02/23/20 07:04 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,156
Posts2,929,259
Members96,091
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission