Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
108 registered members (BethRH, BritishJim, Angelos58, ahinton, Bruce In Philly, Bobby Badd, 26 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops #2296933
06/30/14 10:13 AM
06/30/14 10:13 AM
Texas
G
greddin Offline OP
greddin  Offline OP
G

Texas
I finally bit the bullet and purchased the Ravenscroft 275. It sounds really great but I'm getting a lot of cracks and pops in the playback.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Here are my computer specs.

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo / 2.53Ghz
Hard drive: SSD (UVI Workstation/Ravenscroft installed)
RAM: 4GB

UVI Workstation Audio settings:
API: ASIO
Output Device: Komplete Audio 6
Sample Rate: 44100
Buffer Size: 512

I have not made any changes to settings yet. This is all default settings at this point.

Thanks,
-Greg

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2296942
06/30/14 10:41 AM
06/30/14 10:41 AM
Wales
V
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member
voxpops  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

Wales
My solution to this problem was to download ASIO4ALL plus the free version of Cantabile Lite 64-bit, and host UVI Workstation in that, using the ASIO4ALL drivers. That cured the problem, and allowed me to run smoothly at 128 samples.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2296943
06/30/14 10:42 AM
06/30/14 10:42 AM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

uk south
It's not too bad a cpu so perhaps it's surprising you're getting problems with such a large buffer - there's certainly no point in increasing the buffer size since latency must already be noticeable or close to it.

How many of the 4 mic position samples have you loaded up? If more than one mic position, try it with one position only to see if that improves matters. If it does then that might point to the cpu underperforming. That could possibly arise from your power settings. Go to control panels/windows mobility centre and make sure the drop-down menu for 'battery status' is set to 'high performance'.

Another test would be to abandon the audio interface and try the system using only the asio4all driver with the computers own motherboard soundchip.

edit: yes, as voxpops has noted, running UVI inside a host improved matters when we first got hold of the Ravenscroft. UVI has seen a few revisions since then so it's possible that it now runs properly under its own steam....not too sure about that though...

Last edited by dire tonic; 06/30/14 10:45 AM.
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: voxpops] #2296954
06/30/14 11:22 AM
06/30/14 11:22 AM
Switzerland
D
Digitalguy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Digitalguy  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

Switzerland
Originally Posted by voxpops
My solution to this problem was to download ASIO4ALL plus the free version of Cantabile Lite 64-bit, and host UVI Workstation in that, using the ASIO4ALL drivers. That cured the problem, and allowed me to run smoothly at 128 samples.

I'd say the cure here was running inside Cantabile. Asio4all shouldn't be any better that the asio drivers of an external soundcard.

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Vienna Imperial, Galaxy Vintage D, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: dire tonic] #2296956
06/30/14 11:29 AM
06/30/14 11:29 AM
Switzerland
D
Digitalguy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Digitalguy  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

Switzerland
Originally Posted by dire tonic
It's not too bad a cpu so perhaps it's surprising you're getting problems with such a large buffer - there's certainly no point in increasing the buffer size since latency must already be noticeable or close to it.

How many of the 4 mic position samples have you loaded up? If more than one mic position, try it with one position only to see if that improves matters. If it does then that might point to the cpu underperforming. That could possibly arise from your power settings. Go to control panels/windows mobility centre and make sure the drop-down menu for 'battery status' is set to 'high performance'.

Agree with the suggestions, however, the CPU is just decent, not very powerful, so it might be best to check the polyphony, and the number of options activated, in addition to the number of mic positions. Also, other softwares running at the same time could have an impact on the CPU performance. Having said this, running the piano in a host, and not in UVI, seems to be the best option (for me and many others here)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Vienna Imperial, Galaxy Vintage D, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: Digitalguy] #2296958
06/30/14 11:32 AM
06/30/14 11:32 AM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

uk south
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Originally Posted by voxpops

I'd say the cure here was running inside Cantabile. Asio4all shouldn't be any better that the asio drivers of an external soundcard.

I found the manufacturers drivers for both the lexicon alpha and the M-audio firewire interfaces to be bettered by Asio4all. True to say I was surprised.

Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2296959
06/30/14 11:36 AM
06/30/14 11:36 AM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

uk south
- incidentally, I've just checked UVI 2.5.3 - it seems to be perfectly fine as a standalone....

Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: Digitalguy] #2296970
06/30/14 12:23 PM
06/30/14 12:23 PM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Right you are. This is a marginal computer for the purpose. I used a similar dual-core laptop until a year ago ... but it was running Windows XP, which is lighter on resource consumption. Also, I had turned off all unnecessary services to conserve resources. It was adequate, but just.
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Agree with the suggestions, however, the CPU is just decent, not very powerful, so it might be best to check the polyphony, and the number of options activated, in addition to the number of mic positions.
I moved to a faster quad-core box and I was able to move to the 8 msec latency setting on the audio interface ASIO. The old laptop would crackle if I dropped any lower than the 18 msec setting.

Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2297049
06/30/14 05:12 PM
06/30/14 05:12 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Greddin: One thing that can cause crackles & pops is the speed throttling of the processor, to save power. Make absolutely sure it is locked on 100%, by selecting the High Performance power plan, and then drill down into the settings to make sure the minimum and maximum processor speeds for that plan are both set at 100%.

Greg.

Middle-aged Jeremy Clarkson acolyte.
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2297083
06/30/14 07:42 PM
06/30/14 07:42 PM
Texas
G
greddin Offline OP
greddin  Offline OP
G

Texas
Wow, thanks for all the information all. I'll try to respond as best I can.

@dire_tonic: Yes I was using two mic perspectives close and room. The problem does still hang around when using just one mic position though. But it might not be as bad using just the one mic position.

@voxpops: I downloaded the ASIO4ALL drivers and Cantabile Lite 64-bit, both of which I am not familiar with at all. But I managed to figure out how to "host" the UVI Workstation dll and load the Ravenscroft 275. However, when I select the ASIO4ALL v2 driver from the drop down I'm not getting sound. I do however get sound if I select the "ASIO - Komplete Audio 6" driver though. If I switch to the ASIO4ALL driver does it use my laptop's built-in audio output over the Komplete Audio 6 device? If so, this might by why I'm not hearing anything as I don't have an audio cable plugged into my laptop itself. Currently sound is generated from the Komplete Audio 6 USB device.

Having said all that, I can hear a dramatic improvement when hosting the UVI Workstation through the Cantabile Lite app. The cracks and pops aren't 100% gone but I'd say they're about 90% gone. I'm wondering if it would be even better if I figure out how to make the ASIO4ALL v2 driver to work?

@sullivang: Yep, I was aware of the throttling of the CPU. I did a sanity check to make sure it was at 100% though and it was.

I have a beefier PC I could switch everything over to. It has an AMD Phenom II X4 (quad) 2.80Ghz processor and 16Gb of RAM. But it's a desktop and not a laptop. I don't have an iLok key so when I purchased the Ravenscroft 275 I associated the iLok license key to my laptop. If I decided to switch computers is it possible to associate the iLok/VILabs license key with my Desktop PC?

Thanks guys for all the responses today. You've definitely helped me!

-Greg

Last edited by greddin; 06/30/14 07:49 PM.
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2297136
06/30/14 10:36 PM
06/30/14 10:36 PM
Wales
V
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member
voxpops  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

Wales
Greg, you probably need to configure ASIO4ALL. To do that you need to open its configuration window, and select the outputs you wish to use. You can also set the latency slider to the same value you've chosen for the Ravenscroft. If you click on the wrench icon you can access more paramenters in ASIO4ALL. Sometimes a few of the other more obscure settings can also change things for the better, but they can be hard to get your head around - best to leave them and try the obvious things first. The most difficult thing to troubleshoot, I found, was that the internal Windows synth that generates various system sounds can take over all the audio outputs, and that can be a lengthy troubleshooting job, but hopefully in your case it's just a question of setting the right devices for ASIO4ALL to use.

mabraman, 2015
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2297137
06/30/14 10:40 PM
06/30/14 10:40 PM
Wales
V
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member
voxpops  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

Wales
Oh, and one other thing. In addition to choosing the high performance plan, it is very advisable to switch off all WiFi devices and connections, as they can eat resources in the background. I can't remember where I found them, but someone has published a list of things that should be done to a PC when using it for audio. It's worth tracking that down and doing as many of the tweaks as possible. But basically, it boils down to having as little as possible running in the background as you can get away with.

mabraman, 2015
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2297166
07/01/14 01:32 AM
07/01/14 01:32 AM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia

Middle-aged Jeremy Clarkson acolyte.
Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2297279
07/01/14 09:54 AM
07/01/14 09:54 AM
M
mariof Offline
mariof  Offline
M

Hi Greg,

I would suggest you to run LatencyMon (http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon) or dpclat (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) to help you pinpoint what is dragging your computer down.

I would also suggest you to customize an environment (power options, reduced services and disable non critical programs).

Good luck!

Mario

Re: VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 Cracks & Pops [Re: greddin] #2297791
07/02/14 03:53 PM
07/02/14 03:53 PM
Texas
G
greddin Offline OP
greddin  Offline OP
G

Texas
Update:

After using both latency monitors provided by mariof I've been able to get even more of the cracks and pops out of the playback. I would say the cracks and pops are 99% gone now. Having disabled the WLAN and LAN adapter (as identified by LatencyMon) I can actually sit down and load up the Ravenscroft 275 through Cantible and have a pleasant playing experience.

I'm still using the Komplete Audio 6 ASIO driver but I still want to try using voxpops tips on getting the ASIO4ALL driver configured properly.

I wouldn't have gotten this far without the help of everyone on this thread. I really appreciate it. I emailed VI Labs support a couple of days before I started this thread and I still have not heard back from them yet. But I guess I don't need them now smile

Thanks again,
-Greg

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Focusrite 2i4 vs Internal Sound Card on Mac mini
by David B. 11/18/18 11:23 AM
VPC1 voltage
by IosPlayer. 11/18/18 10:26 AM
Where are you?
by MacMacMac. 11/18/18 10:16 AM
How will you understand you are not a beginner anymore?
by PianoStartsAt33. 11/18/18 08:54 AM
What's in a nym?
by MacMacMac. 11/18/18 04:03 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,399
Posts2,762,218
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission