2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Next time pick up a concerto that both you and the orchestra can handle. I did not listen to the first movement. All I can say about the last movement is that it is not performance ready yet.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Hakki
Next time pick up a concerto that both you and the orchestra can handle. I did not listen to the first movement. All I can say about the last movement is that it is not performance ready yet.

Sorry but I can´t accept critics for people that play of this form "https://app.box.com/s/s7qr07harwb6wg0uuex7" Good luck!!

F
F
Originally Posted by Heliogabalo

Sorry but I can´t accept critics for people that play of this form "https://app.box.com/s/s7qr07harwb6wg0uuex7" Good luck!!

I agree Hakki's way of putting it may have sounded harsh, but it's an opinion that I can say most of us can agree upon. It's tough, but that's the way it is.
And btw, his performance of the Pathetique was very fine, and although critics can (as always) be made, he has much more control of what he's doing than you. Exactly what did you find so bad on his performance? You can say it in spanish, no biggie.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
....You can say it in spanish, no biggie.

....and actually I'd prefer it in Spanish, since I'm trying to get better at it and I like to get all the practice I can. I'll try to answer in Spanish too -- and BTW I will welcome negative comments as well as positive ones on how I do. smile

To Helio: Sorry if it seems I'm having a little too much fun with this "positive" and "negative" stuff. But really, it's hard not to.

We can understand that you want to avoid nasty comments, but maybe ironically, trying to forbid anything in advance is in itself a negative. It automatically puts a negative atmosphere on the whole thing -- in addition to stifling the discussion.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

https://app.box.com/s/s7qr07harwb6wg0uuex7

I've taken out the quotes around the link; now it works.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't know... I mean that hair cut? Get those hair of yours cut and you will be better off! grin (Kidding obviously, just in case the smiley is not enough).

What about from me? Can you accept feedback from me? It's the same as Hakki I'm afraid. Or what about from someone you don't know much about?

Look, I said it above and I'll say it again. Once you put it on the net, legally nothing happens, but in reality it enters the norm of para-Internet! You see now people can take your video and do whatever they want.

Have you ever seen pictures being deformed and ridiculous to a... ridiculous level, just because someone asked a simple question?

I actually can't see that, due to country bans, but here it should be: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/2394/

It's not to say that something like this might happen to you, or your video. But being so defensive won't do you much good.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

Sorry but I can´t accept critics for people that play of this form https://app.box.com/s/s7qr07harwb6wg0uuex7 Good luck!!

Believe me, it is the best possible critic you could hear from people that play of this form.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Christian, I can see that you are proud of your performance, and you should be! The number of persons on the planet who can play this is a very minuscule per cent of the whole. On that basis alone it is exceptional.

I think what is being said by posters here is that this level of excellence, which I know you have worked hard to achieve, isn't the end point, it is only the starting point for a dedicated artist. Many of us have heard all of the best and most noble recordings of this work stretching back for many decades, and we want to hear you take your playing of it to the next level.

I think you can go further with it. This is not criticism, it is a compliment in disguise.

All of us press to go further, especially the very best, which is why the best are so good at what they do.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
I think you can go further with it. This is not criticism, it is a compliment in disguise.

I start to get nervous when my teacher nods and smiles but doesn't say much. I know things are getting really bad when she starts giving nondescript compliments. And the lesson is going disastrously when she feels compelled to say something about how far I've come in lieu of saying anything about what I just played.

It's when I feel like I'm drowning in detail and being made to go back until she's satisfied that I realize this is a lot better position to be in than the alternative. When she has dozens of things to say about one line of music, or will stop me cold with a disappointed slap on her leg for a tiny error and won't let me wave it off that I know she fundamentally believes I'm better than that and I've got more to give. It means someone has high expectations and isn't lowering standards for you.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes

I start to get nervous when my teacher nods and smiles but doesn't say much. I know things are getting really bad when she starts giving nondescript compliments. And the lesson is going disastrously when she feels compelled to say something about how far I've come in lieu of saying anything about what I just played.

Hi TwoSnowflakes, I would rather hear him develop his own ideas for the music then for me to give him any. With technical accuracy Christian probably knows already the issues that performance conditions exposed in his playing of the work.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Hi TwoSnowflakes, I would rather hear him develop his own ideas for the music then for me to give him any. With technical accuracy Christian probably knows already the issues that performance conditions exposed in his playing of the work.

Well, sure! I was just lending a bit of support to your idea that what feels like criticism is often fundamentally a compliment.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I will leave out being political and nice and tell it straight out on the face.

This was just plain very bad and very funny to watch both for the orchestra and the pianist.

Whether my comments are harsh or not I don't care.

All parties involved are adults and should be able to take any comments as they are, whether they are harsh or not.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes

Well, sure! I was just lending a bit of support to your idea that what feels like criticism is often fundamentally a compliment.

+1.
I would like to add that honest criticism / feedback is what makes pianist corner worthwhile. No one (well, most of people) would not like to hurt a child or weakling. So I too take it as a form compliment when someone gives me very honest opinion about my playing. Like someone thinks I could improve on it or someone thinks I'm mature enough to handle it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Hakki, generally it is best not to issue sweeping judgement without a thorough knowledge of what is happening. Bad relative to what? This could be Christian's first time to play with an orchestra. I've heard worse privately from a pianist I am friends with and in a less ambitious first concerto appearance choice after winning a regional competition.

The prohibition also applies to untempered positive praise which can go straight to a performer's ego - especially if the performer is quite young. The ego stands in the way of and blocks access to the sources of creativity. The greatest composers and pianists don't say in their writings and letters, "look at what I did, look at how great it is, look at how amazing I am!".

There should always be a challenge to constantly improve and explore so as to realize for us even just intermittent moments which, perhaps fleeting and of short duration in a specific performance, seem to suspend time and transport one beyond any normal experience almost into a direct contact with the musical ideas themselves which are beyond anything our minds can devise and are beyond all of time.

Does one have to be nice? Of course not, there is freedom of speech. From a pragmatic view is a balanced response, acknowledging hard work and dedication, what is most constructive? Probably this is so.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

Last edited by Kreisler; 06/29/14 04:58 PM. Reason: Personal attack deleted
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
The orchestra was out of tune at times (esp. violins!).

The piano and orchestra were out of synch some of the time.

The piano was not clearly recorded. The mics were too far away
from the piano to hear it clearly. There was too much of the
room reverb to hear the piano clearly.

The quality of the recording reflects on the seriousness of the
musician.

Get a REAL professional to record you next time...

Last edited by Paul678; 06/29/14 07:10 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Paul678
The orchestra was out of tune at times (esp. violins!).

The piano and orchestra were out of synch some of the time.

The piano was not clearly recorded. The mics were too far away
from the piano to hear it clearly. There was too much of the
room reverb to hear the piano clearly.

The quality of the recording reflects on the seriousness of the
musician.

Get a REAL professional to record you next time...

Perhaps the OP didn't have any control over the quality of the recording....and even a "professional" recording wouldn't help the first two issues you identified. smile

That said, I appreciate community orchestras and the positive outlet they provide for amateur musicians. And performing as a soloist with a community orchestra can be a good experience for any pianist !!

Sure - there is always room for improvement. But I personally could never do what the OP has accomplished here (i.e. perform the Rach 2 by memory with an orchestra...any orchestra) and I'm pleased he had the opportunity to do so.

Christian, thanks for sharing your videos with us. thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Carey, I totally agree with you. I somehow got caught up in negative vs positive feedback type of discussions and forgot the point of the post. It is indeed a super cool experience.
Christian, thanks for sharing your experience.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission