2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2295484 06/26/14 07:47 PM
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
How many people have had trouble finding a good piano technician?

I did a little research and found out that new piano sales in the US in 2007 was about the same as during the depression, and had been steadily declining since about 1978. http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/uspiano.htm

I wonder if this has affected how easy or hard it is to find a technician in one's geographical area.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 06/26/14 07:52 PM.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
In my immediate geographic area we have approximately half a dozen technicians that can do top quality tuning and maintenance (regulation, replace a string, and so on). In addition several of them are top quality piano rebuilders.

There are also technicians who do poor work. I've seen some shockingly bad work.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My tech is affiliated with the well respected shop where we got the pianos. No trick to it.

Learner
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Mark,

I think it's hard to find a good piano tech. I once called a RPT I thought would be excellent. His tuning was impeccable, but his regulation work was next to useless. Most of all, we didn't like his grumpy attitude even though we were polite and nice with him. We felt he didn't like his work anymore or maybe that our baby grand wasn't "good enough" for him or something.

I never called a tech again, bought some tools and I'm now tuning/regulating the piano myself. My partner is a pianist too and she's happy with the work I do.

Also, about your link, I saw those statistics before. I think it's interesting to see that despite uprights sales going down and being partially "replaced" by digital pianos, grand pianos sales remain much more stable.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I think its hard to find a good piano tech. Many of the very good ones don't sound too eager to take on a new client. Just as importantly, its hard to find one you can trust.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I don't think that the number of new piano sales is necessarily a good guide to the ability of piano techs to earn a living in their field. In a recession, or any time when money becomes tight, people who have pianos are going to cut back on tunings, etc., irrespective of whether the pianos are new or not.

A further note on the numerical trends in the OP: I would bet that sales have declined a whole lot since 2007. The so-called great recession really got underway in 2008, which has to have caused a radical decline since then.

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Bosendorff,

Good for you. How did you learn? Do you use an ETD? I bet a lot of piano owners are wondering the same thing you did; could I learn to do this myself?

M
M
Originally Posted by Grandman
I think its hard to find a good piano tech. Many of the very good ones don't sound too eager to take on a new client. Just as importantly, its hard to find one you can trust.

Being in San Francisco Bay Area, there are good piano tech around but my problem is mine appears to be too busy to take care of ordinary folks like me. I have worked with him for just over three years. I like to have my piano serviced 4 or 5 times a year and usually schedule for appointment several weeks in advance but often my excellent tech just could not afford the time. I was bumped off his schedule rather abruptly recently when Murray Perahia came to town; then last week he was tuning for San Francisco Symphony and could not make it to my home. Now I am hoping to see him next week, keeping my fingers crossed.

2010 Steinway B #586826
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I've had a number of good techs when I lived in the Washington, D.C. Area. After moving to the Delaware shore not so much. Finally found a great young tech and rebuilder ( Bennett School Grad) in Denton Md which is about 40 miles away.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Good for you. How did you learn? Do you use an ETD? I bet a lot of piano owners are wondering the same thing you did; could I learn to do this myself?

I'm "self-taught" and use TuneLab. I can't tune a temperament aurally, but I use my ears to tune the wound strings, etc.

I wouldn't recommend it to other owners though, unless they are meticulous, careful and patient. But if I can do it, I'm sure others can too.

M
M
Third time's the charm for me here in Central Jersey. The first really wasn't good, and the second tuner I tried made the first one look great...

The tuner I use now is extremely professional and knowledgable. Only person I will let tune my Walter now.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Bosendorff
I never called a tech again, bought some tools and I'm now tuning/regulating the piano myself. My partner is a pianist too and she's happy with the work I do.
Good for you! That is exactly how and why I started--it was never intended to be such a epic quest; I was just trying to help.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I found my tuner on Angie's List. Turns out he was a student of the same tech I took a course from about 45 years ago.

I'll do some regulation and repair myself, but I leave the tuning to Matthew. The consequences of getting on the wrong pin and breaking a string make it not worth the risk. On a smaller, more common piano I might chance it. Not on the 1929 Knabe concert grand.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There's only two real piano technicians who have ever set foot in my house and touched any of my pianos. The first was the local RPT, a nice guy whom I've purchased some piano wire and asked for advice a time or two... he inspected one of my pianos that was up for sale for an interested buyer.

The second was a concert piano technician I met here on Piano World, Sally Phillips. Wow, what a piano technician! I got her to tune my C7 and check some of my own work that I had done on it. She was complementary on some things and critical on others, but that is why I called her.

I knew she was special when she told me that she had tuned for several very well known performing artist and celebrities over the years. In fact, she made me feel like a celebrity!

I honestly don't think they get any better than Sally Phillips! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
L
I found my RPT through my first piano teacher. A classically trained pianist himself, I not only get first class tuning and whatever else is needed, I also get a mini-concert as he tries it out! Somehow, it never sounds like that when I play laugh

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission