2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
70 members (Almaviva, AmyKaye, Boboulus, 1009Vic, Arty Movie, Alan F, accordeur, 18 invisible), 572 guests, and 230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 83 of 86 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 86
Re: Faber Graduates
CognitaP #2980289 05/17/20 12:13 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by CognitaP
HI pagirl I'm glad that you have found it useful. I found that it took a while before I was getting them right most of the time so worth persevering with this.

Im currently working on Trumpet Concerto from Unit 14 which I think is a loverly piece. I am
working on getting it to a tempo where it all plays fluently easpecially the 8th note sections which is challenging, but with perseverance I will get there. I am also doing the same with Ice Skater. I can play this really well at a reasonable tempo but not up to 156 which the app suggests playing at. Getting my fingers to be more nimble and do what then need to do at speed when on the 8th notes is a constant challenge for me.

I will post one of my earlier recordings when I work out how. I have opened up a Soundcloud account and downloaded my recording of a Lion Sleeps Tonight but have not worked out how to share it on this forum.
Chill-time or anyone else that uses soundcloud can you let me know how you share the videos. Do you have them as public videos on soundcloud and then just copy the link into the forum or is there another way ?

That is what I do. 1. Record to USB on my piano. 2. Upload the MP3 file to soundcloud. 3. Copy the link and paste into the forum.

Quick update. I have 4 songs that I need check on in 3a but have begun working in Book 3b. Feels good to begin a new level. With more free time and no commute (working from home) I've been on my bass a good bit learning some Red Hot Chili Pepper songs for fun, then playing the bass linnes on piano. Slap bass licks do not translate well the piano. LOL

Last edited by Chili_Time; 05/17/20 12:20 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3b. Kawai MP11SE.
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
BrianDX #2980301 05/17/20 12:29 PM
C
C
I do one 30 note quiz per day with this little app. It has helped me a lot! You can set staff to treble bass, grand, etc.

https://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note

I am going to add your app to the mix to change things up.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 05/17/20 12:31 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3b. Kawai MP11SE.
[Linked Image]
BrianDX #2980516 05/17/20 09:28 PM
P
P
Hi CognitaP - I was wrong, There is an Improvisation course. It’s taught by Jordan Leibel. He’s pretty good, and he has a Couple of videos of some of his work on YouTube, under Pianote. One is called Ray Charles 12 Bar Blues on Piano. It’s a fun lesson.

Chili_Time...That little app is great! Throwing in those sharps and flats, plus those Ledger line notes really challenges you! Thank you for sharing!!!

Fran...

Casio Privia 160, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11
BrianDX #2980576 05/18/20 02:22 AM
C
C
Thanks Chili_Time I will do this with soundcloud and post my recording soon .

Good to see you are still progressing well . Well done for getting to the end of 3a ( even with a few pieces still to practice) its an acheivement you should be proud of. Yes I can understand you feeling good about moving to the next level. I feel like that when moving from one unit to the next and I'm only on book one so as the difficuly ramps up with 3a it must be a feeling of great acheivement to move to 3b. Well done.

Your playing of the Bass sounds fun.

Pagirl. Thank you for looking into the improvisation course . I will check out the online videos and see from there . At this point I dont want to jump too far ahead of myself , as that is what I did in the past and it got very confusing and frustrating . As I new feel I am making steady progress, I want to stick to this and build up slowly my improvisation skills to fit alongside the Faber course .

Using Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO Book 1
Currently working on Unit 16
Also working with Faber Technique and Artistry book 2
Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano
BrianDX #2981179 05/19/20 02:17 PM
P
P
Here is what I’ve been working on way toooo long!!! I started going backwards in my progress, at least it feels like it! Do you think I can leave it, at least for now, and move on? This is always the hardest for me, knowing when I’ve learned enough from a piece. What to look for???

https://app.box.com/s/3f0te917itb4zou2bijk6haqf1v7y389

Fran...

Casio Privia 160, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11
BrianDX #2981354 05/19/20 08:51 PM
C
C
Boy do I struggle with this one. I still can't play it as smooth and well as I want to but this recording is about the best I can do currently. I so with I could have seen Scott Joplin play live.

https://soundcloud.com/chili-time/the-easy-winners

[Linked Image]
pagirl #2981356 05/19/20 08:56 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by pagirl
Here is what I’ve been working on way toooo long!!! I started going backwards in my progress, at least it feels like it! Do you think I can leave it, at least for now, and move on? This is always the hardest for me, knowing when I’ve learned enough from a piece. What to look for???

Fran...

Hi Fran,

I'n not qualified to give advice about moving on but you sound so good! I hope someone comes along that can give better advice than I can. Thanks for posting I always enjoy hearing all you fellow Faberites play. Sometimes I feel like i go backwards too, so you are not alone in that feeling.

[Linked Image]
Chili_Time #2981363 05/19/20 09:33 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Originally Posted by pagirl

Fran...

Hi Fran,

I'n not qualified to give advice about moving on but you sound so good! I hope someone comes along that can give better advice than I can. Thanks for posting I always enjoy hearing all you fellow Faberites play. Sometimes I feel like i go backwards too, so you are not alone in that feeling.

Oh my goodness! You are playing so well!!! I can see from yours, one area I need to really work on, tempo!!! You are just flying across those keys, and it makes that piece come to life! I was told that speed would come naturally with practice, but I am wondering if I should take a little more time, and work on it. Right now, I am mainly trying to get the notes right, along with some basic dynamics. Hmmm...more practice!!! 😏

Fran...

pagirl #2981367 05/19/20 09:53 PM
Nice to hear all the progress you made!

Love the artistry you put in this little piece!

I enjoy this familiar tune too!

CognitaP, looking forward to your recording too!

I'm struggling with fingers rolling on all black keys with "The Great Wall of China"... my fingers easily slip off the keys... I guess it just takes more time to get used to black keys... It's a lovely piece though!

Song of Kilimanjaro, Unit 7 (The D Major Scale) of Faber 3A, with performance and Christmas books
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2
My Recordings
BrianDX #2981511 05/20/20 09:27 AM
P
P
Thank you Wish4Thing! Your support means a lot!!! I’m intrigued with your next song!! It sounds like it’s a real challenge! I know you’re up to it though, can’t wait to hear it!

Fran...

pagirl #2981682 05/20/20 01:40 PM
Hi Fran, I saw similar questions from Faber teachers on Facebook Piano Adventures® Discussion Group: post 1 and post 2. You'll have to join the group to read the posts and comments... hope this helps.

Here is one sample comment: Last year I decided to flip this question on my students and was surprised to find out that they would usually prefer to keep working on the same song.
I started used a rubric/scoring system in lessons to help them evaluate their progress on a piece and decide if they are ready to move on. We "score" note accuracy, rhythm, Dynamics, articulation, and tempo. Sometimes the student will say that everything is perfect and it helps me see what they don't understand or recognize as wrong. Other times they know their rhythm isn't quite there but over weeks struggle to fix it so we zero in and fix it together.

Song of Kilimanjaro, Unit 7 (The D Major Scale) of Faber 3A, with performance and Christmas books
My Recordings
Wish4 Thing #2981694 05/20/20 01:59 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing
Hi Fran, I saw similar questions from Faber teachers on Facebook Piano Adventures® Discussion Group: post 1 and post 2. You'll have to join the group to read the posts and comments... hope this helps.

Here is one sample comment: Last year I decided to flip this question on my students and was surprised to find out that they would usually prefer to keep working on the same song.
I started used a rubric/scoring system in lessons to help them evaluate their progress on a piece and decide if they are ready to move on. We "score" note accuracy, rhythm, Dynamics, articulation, and tempo. Sometimes the student will say that everything is perfect and it helps me see what they don't understand or recognize as wrong. Other times they know their rhythm isn't quite there but over weeks struggle to fix it so we zero in and fix it together.

Thank you!!! This should give me an idea of what to do. I think I’m going to move on for now, but take more time with my next project. Maybe, what I have learned will sink in a bit.

Fran...

pagirl #2981782 05/20/20 04:52 PM
The Great Wall of China, still weak on scales (not as even as I wanted to be, left hand is clumsy), especially on black keys... but I'll pass myself on to next one so I don't feel too frustratedgrin Thanks for listening!

My Recordings
BrianDX #2981888 05/20/20 09:00 PM
P
P
Wish4Thing - I loved it! I was particularly drawn to your use of the sustain pedal! I am just now learning how and when to use it, and it seems easy until you actually start using it! It’s hard to be a critic when you really enjoy something. I’d say, “keep up the good work.”

Fran...

BrianDX #2981941 05/20/20 11:48 PM
Thanks, Fran! You are always so supportive!

One of the reasons I like Faber is its music arrangement. The pedal is marked in places where exactly it's needed...

I look forward to what your next project is going to bring to us!

My Recordings
BrianDX #2982016 05/21/20 05:53 AM
C
C
Hi all

pagirl WELL DONE I know how hard you have worked on this . You have the notes rhythm and dynamics right so give yourself a big pat on the back for getting it to this point . It sounds great. As you have said all you need to work on now is the tempo but Im sure this will come with time.

You asked if you should drop it now and move on . I'm not a teacher so cannot say for sure but what works for me is when I get to this stage, I then move on to a new piece to learn but at the same time keep some practice time to continue to work on pieces that need polishing or getting up to tempo. My view is that getting all pieces correct with notes , rhythms, dynamics and up to tempo, is an important part of the learning. If we can get all this right at this level it will pay dividends when learning more complex pieces later one such as the ones chili.time is playing. Getting a piece up to tempo takes time and is not easy. What your fingers can do at slow speeds they seem not to be able to do at faster speeds when you start practicing them at faster tempos. This is what I am finding is my biggest challenge particularly with playing 8th notes at the correct tempo.

Chili_time. all your struggling has paid off it sounds fantastic . You continue to be an inspiration to what I can only aspire to achieve if I continue to put in the practice .

Wish4 thing This sounds great you have the dynamics and the rhythm playing well with the eighth notes played nice and smoothly and fitting in well with the melody. Adding the pedal adds another element of musicality to the piece. Well done. I agree with you about the arrangements that Faber does. It is also why I like the Faber books .

This link below takes you two of my pieces that I have recorded. The Lion Sleeps Tonight and the Can Can. I feel I still need to work on getting the left hand more softer on both and are working on this . My current projects are Trumpet Concerto ( unit 14) and working on polishing Ice Skater which I have ok except getting it up to tempo. I struggle playing 8th notes fast as my fingers are not as nimble as they need to be .

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=cognitap

CognitaP #2982053 05/21/20 08:38 AM
P
P
Cognita - Fantastic!!! I am really in the company of some wonderful artists!!! The expression you have captured in this piece is excellent! You have made me want to really dig in and get better! Thank you so much for sharing. The lion Sleeps Tonight is a great piece, and the Can Can is a true delight! I will definitely take your advice to heart.

Fran...

Last edited by pagirl; 05/21/20 08:39 AM.

BrianDX #2982109 05/21/20 10:45 AM
Very impressive performance, CognitaP! You have both the tempo and the smooth flow on the keyboard at the same time with Can Can, not easy to do, well done! I also love the legato in your Lion Sleeps Tonight!

I'm loving our little Faberites recital, brightening my day! Thank you all!

My Recordings
BrianDX #2982234 05/21/20 03:32 PM
C
C
pagirl and Wish4_thing

Thank You So Much for your kind words .

Its good to get feedback on how I have been doing. I can be my own worse enemy with lack of confidence in my playing.

Our little group of Faberites is a delight to be part of and share all our journeys no mater what level we are on.

BrianDX #2982241 05/21/20 03:41 PM
C
C
@Wish It took me a long time to Get Great Wall of China done. Those slippery black keys in the arpeggio drove me nuts. Add to that I really didn’t care for the song and well I was glad to see that one in my rear-view mirror. You did a good job on it. There is a lot of hand movement up and down the keyboard in that one so not easy to play fast.

@Cognita I loved the can-can It is a song everyone recognizes and then wow The Lion Sleeps tonight sounded great. Great tempo and smooth!

[Linked Image]
Page 83 of 86 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 86

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beethoven sonata no.4 op.7
by dolce sfogato - 07/12/20 03:03 PM
WTC 1: Fugue No. 16 in G-minor
by Stephano - 07/12/20 01:46 PM
Casio CDP-S350 / 150 now available in USA
by PianoManChuck - 07/12/20 11:46 AM
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Warning for second hand sellers
by KevinM - 07/12/20 09:36 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,220
Posts2,979,896
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission