Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (cmoody31, 7uturu, BigIslandGuy, AprilE, Animisha, akc42, ando, apianostudent, 16 invisible), 927 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 53 1 2 49 50 51 52 53
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Ojustaboo] #2812321
02/08/19 12:39 PM
02/08/19 12:39 PM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Originally Posted by Groove On
Originally Posted by TryAnotherName
I'm using the All-In-One... moving forward at a brisk pace in book 1 - and basically wanted to figure out what I was missing out on. Ginger and Animisha gave me some food for thought... especially about using complementary pieces to shore up skills learned.

Well, I guess my teacher saw the down side of moving forward in the pieces too quickly because at our last lesson (my 4th) he saddled me up with more finger strength, stamina exercises (Hanon), two octave scales in 5 keys (OMG, still stumbling over C Major) and the assignment to transpose a sweet little French melody from C to G and D.:

The Adult All-In-One does move at a very brisk pace, this is why many adults prefer the regular Piano Adventure books. As a "re-beginner" I found the All-In-One just right for me as a refresher so that I could dig into the many Faber literature books at each level - which can be bought really cheap - used off Amazon. In addition, I worked my way through the Joytunes Piano Maestro app which has tons music from Elementary up through 3B.

But all by itself All-In-One moves much too briskly - if you're still working on honing fundamental skills and knowledge.

Welcome to the Faber thread, Anthony.

I wanted share an update on my "moving forward at a brisk pace..." report from several weeks back.
The bad news is that I've slowed down.
The good news is that I've slowed down.

I got about 3/4 into Faber 1 All-in-One and everything was going swimmingly... always showed up at lessons with 3-4 pieces prepared. Love the way one new "pony trick" builds on the previous. Then I reached a point around "Ice Skaters" (p- 138-139) and "Trumpet Concerto" (p. 146-147) where I needed more than a week to get them reasonably accurate with some semblance of dynamics at an appropriate tempo. I hope I'll be laughing at todays "me" in 10 years time when I'm spending weeks and months on whole concertos :-)

In addition to slowing me down with scales and Hanon exercises, my teacher has also started choosing pieces from Faber Classics that exercise skills similar to those used in the All-in-One spot I happen to be at. We also discuss a bit of applied theory at each lesson. I guess this is what Groove On was getting at... that All-in-One all alone isn't quite enough repetition (with variations) to solidify a newly learned skill.

Last lesson, I came having reviewed 6 previous Faber pieces. Teacher said that was kind of futile ... at some point you just can't juggle that many balls. It's about the skills learned that stay with you. Hmmmm

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2812941
02/10/19 12:54 AM
02/10/19 12:54 AM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
Hey fellow faber folks, i mailed the forum manager and thouvht it would be best to change my name. Although surely not my intention i just felt that it could be rude or offensive.

Im still in the 3 unit taking my time along with that country book i write about in the non-classical forum. Also, as i was looking on the faber site to see about getting a dvd of level 2 i noticed a discussion board that is inactive but a decent little archive of Faber talk.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2813357
02/11/19 03:02 AM
02/11/19 03:02 AM
Austin, Texas, USA
Riff Raff Offline
Riff Raff  Offline

Austin, Texas, USA
At about what point are you intended to start with the supplemental books that go along with a given lesson book? Like for Adult Level 1, when should you start on the Classics/Popular/Christmas books? Or for Basic Level 1, when should you start on the PlayTime/Popular Repertoire/Christmas Book type books? I'm more familiar with the Alfred Adult books where the correspondence between them tends to be spelled out at the page level, but only saw that for Faber with the core Lesson/Theory/Technique/Performance books and was wondering.

Last edited by Riff Raff; 02/11/19 03:12 AM.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2813422
02/11/19 08:14 AM
02/11/19 08:14 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Hi Riff Raff,

I'm happy to share what I did (with some guidance from my teacher) as a beginner about 10 weeks in to Faber All-in-One for Adults.

I came to my first lesson after having worked through book one to about p.100. I also brought the Faber Classics to my first lesson and showed it to the teacher. His reaction was, "oh, you can already play just about anything in the Classics book now." That was sweet, encouraging, and flattering but not quite true :-)

The Classics book is divided into three sections. The first section of the three contains really simplified classics for beginners. For the most part, both hands stay put where they've started with a rare finger lift to a black key or hand shift. So yes, this first section was largely doable with the tools I had picked up in the All-in-One book 1 by p.100.

Eight weeks of lessons later (and having slowed down the self-competition of gobbling up as many pages as I could as quickly as I could :-) I'm finishing up pp.146-147 (Trumpet Concerto.) What happened in my learning curve (and in the All-in-One) between pages 100 and 147 were three significant things which, I feel, now give me access to the full spectrum of pieces in the Classics book:
- Progressive introduction to moving both hands out of their starting position in different ways.
- Very basic intro some important chords.
- Two octave exercises in scales (C-G-D-A and E) and a few Hanon exercises... both great for coordination, hand position and figuring out how to put my hands on auto-pilot for certain patterns.

If you have a teacher, they'll help you identify the Classics pieces that especially reinforce the specific new skills you're working on in the All-in-One book. If not, that's a little trickier. Now that you mention it, it wouldn't be a bad idea if the Fabers did a little bit of cross referencing in their next edition :-)

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2813849
02/11/19 11:37 PM
02/11/19 11:37 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
I got started on "Lion Sleeps Tonight" in practice today along with chord inversions from another book. This should be a fun song.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2813921
02/12/19 06:14 AM
02/12/19 06:14 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Totally... enjoy it, dobro...

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2814614
02/13/19 02:49 PM
02/13/19 02:49 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
I called Faber to see about buying the dvd for level 2 since i dropped the expensive net service. The lady said no go and that i would have to buy the entire package for 27 bucks. Amazon changed the price from 21 to 26 in a few hours. Ill keep trying.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2814844
02/13/19 10:09 PM
02/13/19 10:09 PM
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
HollyBytheLake  Offline
H

Madison
Hello to all, new to this thread, I'm in Faber 2 AIO last unit. I've spent some time the last few days re-reading this thread in its entirety. (Obsessive? Who's obsessive?) We all owe a tremendous debt to Brian, Mario, Ebony, Ralph, Tyrone and others who went before and confidently said, "Trust the process, it works." So, if any of you OGs pop in and catch this, many thanks.

Current lesson is 16th notes, and I'm working on Sea Chanty and start Musetta's Waltz tomorrow. I've got Festa Espana hanging on from the last unit on arpeggios. (It's a tempo thing). I ADORE Puccini, so expect to really enjoy Musetta's.

With any luck I'll finish up Espana this week opening a slot for Pachebel's Canon, the last piece in the book. It's weird after being in it since last summer to feel it coming to a close. Thanks to Brian, et al, I know I've got a couple more years security blanket ahead of me.

but think how good I could be in five years...
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2814851
02/13/19 10:43 PM
02/13/19 10:43 PM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
That's cool to have you joining the Faber thread, Holly.

Since you read through the whole works ("who's obsessive?" :-) I guess you saw the chat about the fact that Faber AIO in itself doesn't really have enough pieces to adaquately reinforce new skills. So we were looking for other sources. I saw you mentioned parallel material from the RCM in your practice diary thread. I'll check that out, thx for the idea. Is there any obvious way to figure out which RCM pieces run roughly parallel to the AIO units?

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2814859
02/13/19 11:07 PM
02/13/19 11:07 PM
F
flyin_gnome Offline
flyin_gnome  Offline
F

Hey hows everyones progress going? I'm about half way through book 3B just did Snowfall and Rage over the lost Penny. Things have been going well. I'm working on some scale/arpeggio exercises in between my normal stuff to help with some fingering muscle memory and just improve speed and accuracy.

I got to try out my dream piano today a Shigeru Kawai Sk5 and an Sk3. Didnt even bother with the SK7 on the floor other than drool. It was love at first note. I just adore those pianos. And hopefully someday will have one of my own.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TryAnotherName] #2814864
02/13/19 11:27 PM
02/13/19 11:27 PM
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
HollyBytheLake  Offline
H

Madison
TryAnotherName

Somewhere on this thread around the first 10 pages or so there was a link posted that had half a dozen or more different methods graphed out for comparison. I'm kicking myself that I didn't print it out. It's there. You just half to dig for it. I can only say from my experience. The end of Faber 2 AIO is somewhat beyond RCM level 1. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: HollyBytheLake] #2814880
02/14/19 12:49 AM
02/14/19 12:49 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

Originally Posted by HollyBytheLake
TryAnotherName

Somewhere on this thread around the first 10 pages or so there was a link posted that had half a dozen or more different methods graphed out for comparison. I'm kicking myself that I didn't print it out. It's there. You just half to dig for it. I can only say from my experience. The end of Faber 2 AIO is somewhat beyond RCM level 1. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Are you referring to this?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2814886
02/14/19 01:09 AM
02/14/19 01:09 AM
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
HollyBytheLake  Offline
H

Madison
Tyrone, That's the one. Thanks for finding that. I just printed it off to go in my binder of neat piano finds.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2814927
02/14/19 03:40 AM
02/14/19 03:40 AM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
We are glad that you are joining this thread. Im in unit 3 of level 2 and would be interested and thankful for any observations that you have.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: dobro] #2814993
02/14/19 09:14 AM
02/14/19 09:14 AM
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
HollyBytheLake  Offline
H

Madison
Is that Unit 3 of 2 AIO? The F major scale unit?

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2815012
02/14/19 09:40 AM
02/14/19 09:40 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
TryAnotherName

Somewhere on this thread around the first 10 pages or so there was a link posted that had half a dozen or more different methods graphed out for comparison. ....

Are you referring to this?

Bingo... thanks for the link Tyrone and for remembering that the chart posted over a year and a half ago even existed, Holly!

Now all I have to do is figure out how the AIO Adult version relates to the "expanded" Faber Adventures in the chart. I think a trip to my local, decently stocked music store's sheet music department is on my horizon.

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: HollyBytheLake] #2815104
02/14/19 11:52 AM
02/14/19 11:52 AM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
Is that Unit 3 of 2 AIO? The F major scale unit?

Thats it. Im on "The Lion Sleeps Tonight " at the moment. Ive enjoyed level 2 so far.

I found the dvd from the other sellers section for 22.17 and went ahead and had to buy the book/cd too.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: dobro] #2815127
02/14/19 12:48 PM
02/14/19 12:48 PM
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
HollyBytheLake  Offline
H

Madison
Dobro,

Swing rhythm! Ooh, fun!

Hated the pedal in mm. 17 & 29, but since then I've been FORCING myself to do all pedaling as indicated and I'm slowly losing my aversion to it. (Which if you sneak ahead to Feista Espana on pg. 170, shows is something I obviously couldn't ignore for too long.)

I will confess I did not do all those repeats, but that was probably because pop type pieces seem to suffer the most by arrangement. More so than classical pieces IMHO.

Have fun, and let us know how you're progressing with it.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2817534
02/19/19 05:36 PM
02/19/19 05:36 PM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
Well it is on to Faber 3a for me. My teacher suggested we add the Performance Book for 3a in addition to the usual Lesson, Artistry & Technique, Theory and Sight Reading books. I mentioned to my teacher I want to learn to play from Fake Books (the level 2 Theory book included some Fake Book pieces) so will also be adding some beginner Fake Book songs (Beatles, Eagles, etc.). This means it will be a slower process to get through the level 3 books, but I am okay with that because I’m really enjoying the pieces I’ve learned recently both with Faber and in the supplemental books by James Bastien. The Journey is getting more fun and more interesting

Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115.
[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: HollyBytheLake] #2817561
02/19/19 06:07 PM
02/19/19 06:07 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

Hated the pedal in mm. 17 & 29, but since then I've been FORCING myself to do all pedaling as indicated and I'm slowly losing my aversion to it. (Which if you sneak ahead to Feista Espana on pg. 170, shows is something I obviously couldn't ignore for too long.)]

Why do you hate the pedal? Do you hate the resulting resonance and blurred sound? Or do you hate the action of pedaling itself?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
Page 51 of 53 1 2 49 50 51 52 53

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
All of Rachmaninoff's Keyboard Works Ranked
by JDRPiano. 04/24/19 12:23 AM
New piano v. Used piano
by ConfusedinWalnut. 04/24/19 12:04 AM
1931 Story & Clark Player - no idea where to start
by loukywells. 04/23/19 10:29 PM
Prokofiev documentary
by pianoloverus. 04/23/19 10:18 PM
My favorite piano: Ravenscroft 275
by RobR. 04/23/19 08:15 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,631
Posts2,821,182
Members93,131
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission