Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Artur Gajewski, Animisha, bambooninja, Alex C, Charles Cohen, A Guy, 90125, 16 invisible), 952 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 50 1 2 47 48 49 50
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2789407
12/09/18 01:40 PM
12/09/18 01:40 PM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Welcome, anonymous1977 ... I'm new here too and just got started on Faber. Very happy with it.

While you're waiting for your books to arrive, I suggest you download the free Piano Adventure Player app. There are 16 units of free videos by Randall Faber (very clear and... I'd say, graceful.)

Kawai GE-1
Starting on Faber All-in-One
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TryAnotherName] #2789429
12/09/18 02:28 PM
12/09/18 02:28 PM
A
anonymous1977 Offline
anonymous1977  Offline
A

Originally Posted by TryAnotherName
Welcome, anonymous1977 ... I'm new here too and just got started on Faber. Very happy with it.

While you're waiting for your books to arrive, I suggest you download the free Piano Adventure Player app. There are 16 units of free videos by Randall Faber (very clear and... I'd say, graceful.)

Thank you. The app doesn't seem to exist on Android.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2789441
12/09/18 02:52 PM
12/09/18 02:52 PM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Oooops, guess it's iOS only.

Here's a Youtube link that will get you to the same content for book 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ2DT1yXjXs&list=PLROQq1cZUMn_XJFiAh1KHMTpwTc1jX_Qz

... and here's Randall Faber's Youtube channel link. This guy is seriously committed to sharing his knowledge (which, of course, drives sales.) Win-win. Thanks Randy :-)

https://www.youtube.com/user/FaberPianoAdventures/featured

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2789672
12/10/18 06:15 AM
12/10/18 06:15 AM
Phoenix
tbonesays Offline
tbonesays  Offline

Phoenix
I made it to book 4, but it turns out episode 4 has at least 4 different books.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2790302
12/11/18 09:46 PM
12/11/18 09:46 PM
A
anonymous1977 Offline
anonymous1977  Offline
A

Folks - I need some help. I received all the accelerated core material for level 1. I do not have a teacher. I am self learning And have the following questions:

1. What is the sequence in which the books need to be read? Lesson, theory, performance etc.
2. The starting chapter and second unit where he gets into musical notes is a bit confusing. I am unable to smoothly follow through. How do I know if I am getting it correctly? For example in one of the starting pages he has two sets of five like notes grouped up and down but with symbols on the left hand as well as right hand within the same measure. Am I supposed to play together? I can't seem to find videos of this.

Regards
Azeez

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: anonymous1977] #2790307
12/11/18 10:13 PM
12/11/18 10:13 PM
A
anonymous1977 Offline
anonymous1977  Offline
A

Originally Posted by anonymous1977
Folks - I need some help. I received all the accelerated core material for level 1. I do not have a teacher. I am self learning And have the following questions:

1. What is the sequence in which the books need to be read? Lesson, theory, performance etc.
2. The starting chapter and second unit where he gets into musical notes is a bit confusing. I am unable to smoothly follow through. How do I know if I am getting it correctly? For example in one of the starting pages he has two sets of five like notes grouped up and down but with symbols on the left hand as well as right hand within the same measure. Am I supposed to play together? I can't seem to find videos of this.

Regards
Azeez

I think I may have panicked too quickly. When I do a search on how to read sheet music there are tons of videos out there. Hopefully when I look through a few of them and come back to Faber I could continue easily.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2790328
12/12/18 12:00 AM
12/12/18 12:00 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Randall Faber’s videos on good basic technique is one of the best online tutorials I’ve seen for beginners, especially the last 4 videos.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLROQq1cZUMn9lq2U9fBeJxtbcsAJaNfzc

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2790463
12/12/18 12:18 PM
12/12/18 12:18 PM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
If you don't have a teacher this You Tube channel may help you. He plays through all the major method books including the Faber books.

If that link won't work go to youtube and search for the "Lets Play Piano Methods" channel. The "tinymozarts" channel has Faber method book videos also

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIeSnI-BmRMkxURGZ7nHtzQ[/video]

Last edited by Chili_Time; 12/12/18 12:22 PM.

Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 2 For The Older Beginner. Yamaha P-115.
[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Chili_Time] #2790485
12/12/18 01:26 PM
12/12/18 01:26 PM
A
anonymous1977 Offline
anonymous1977  Offline
A

Originally Posted by Chili_Time
If you don't have a teacher this You Tube channel may help you. He plays through all the major method books including the Faber books.

If that link won't work go to youtube and search for the "Lets Play Piano Methods" channel. The "tinymozarts" channel has Faber method book videos also

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIeSnI-BmRMkxURGZ7nHtzQ[/video]

Thank you, I will check it out.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2791637
12/15/18 03:24 PM
12/15/18 03:24 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Offline
Birdgolf  Offline
B

Utah, USA
Well for anyone interested, I just completed Unit 1 of Piano Adventures Level 4. Working in Unit 2 which is Dotted-Eighth to Sixteenth Patterns. Happy Holidays, Birdgolf

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2792424
12/17/18 03:15 PM
12/17/18 03:15 PM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
About half way through Faber book #1 now. I'm having a blast trying to figure out how to move both hand slightly differently at the same time. The phenomenon is even stranger with violin... also a barrel of monkeys figuring out how to pat your head and rub your tummy simultaneously while producing some semblance of music.

Although I think the AV material available in Faber's app is excellent and although just about every single piece is demonstrated on Youtube by multiple teachers, I decided to try weekly lessons, locally.

The teacher is happy to continue with Faber (he quite likes it) and thinks technique and music theory are really important... so that's three things we agree on already.

Any recommendations that are specific to learning piano to make the most of those lessons would be welcomed. Thx

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TryAnotherName] #2792432
12/17/18 03:35 PM
12/17/18 03:35 PM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
Originally Posted by TryAnotherName
About half way through Faber book #1 now. I'm having a blast trying to figure out how to move both hand slightly differently at the same time. The phenomenon is even stranger with violin... also a barrel of monkeys figuring out how to pat your head and rub your tummy simultaneously while producing some semblance of music.

Although I think the AV material available in Faber's app is excellent and although just about every single piece is demonstrated on Youtube by multiple teachers, I decided to try weekly lessons, locally.

The teacher is happy to continue with Faber (he quite likes it) and thinks technique and music theory are really important... so that's three things we agree on already.

Any recommendations that are specific to learning piano to make the most of those lessons would be welcomed. Thx

Good luck with the teacher! My teacher has taught me a lot about piano.
She has done all this and more for me. Hope this helps.:
Corrects me when I'm playing the wrong notes.
When I'm not sure of a rhythm helped me tap it out and count it out. Basically taught me how to figure it out on my own.
Teaches me to find the right tempo for a piece.
She has dramatically improved my dynamics.They were awful and she made massive improvements. Helped me understand the mood of the piece and how to convey that with dynamic changes.
Teaches me theory on the spot in small doses I can understand.
She picks pieces outside the Faber books as supplements that are at just the right level. Not too hard, not too easy.
Helped me a LOT with using the pedal. I mean a lot.
Demonstrates how it should sound when I'm lost.
Plays duets with me. I enjoy this because it just sounds so good.
Watches and fixes technique as I play.
Basically while I don't sound great I sound a lot better than I would without her.

Oh I edited to add... She tells when when I'm ready to move on (or not). Sometimes I think I'm good on a piece but she will explain why she wants me to give it another week and what to focus on. Other times I think something needs work and she will tell me I've learned what I need to from a piece and can move on and continue to play that one for fun if I want to.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 12/17/18 03:43 PM.

Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 2 For The Older Beginner. Yamaha P-115.
[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2792607
12/18/18 05:43 AM
12/18/18 05:43 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Thanks, Chili-Time. Gosh, the pedals, forgot about those... oops. Truly time for a teacher!

Also, having a teacher set pace sounds about right. There may be a fundamental difference between say, violin, and piano here. On my violin forums, there's a somewhat common experience that a teacher will have the student move on to the next piece, not because the current one is played well but because the student has understood the specific lesson to be learned in that piece. Notice, I said "understood" not "mastered". I think the underlying assumption with violin learning is that it's so damn hard to pull a nice sound that you've got to expect a much longer timeframe to get there. Many of us older violin students seem to find that tough to accept. At first I was thinking, "Wow, my teacher thinks I'm a lost cause, not worth the bother." Many, many moons later, I began to understand the wisdom of my teacher's pace setting approach.

I would guess it's not quite the same with a piano... a student's dynamics, phrasing or whatever may be so-so, but each individual note on a nice piano just sounds plain nice to my inexperienced ear. There aren't any intonation problems and the spectrum of opportunities for screwing up sound production on a piano is much narrower than on a violin.

OK, so maybe I'm stuck in a serious case of "I don't even know what I don't know".

Please, keep wisening me up!

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2793542
12/20/18 06:27 PM
12/20/18 06:27 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Ive finished up O Sole Mio from 2 tho a bit slow with some harsh arthriris flares in the LH. Im glad everyone is doing well and sticking with practice during these busy holiday months.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: monkeeys] #2793757
12/21/18 09:32 AM
12/21/18 09:32 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Originally Posted by monkeeys
...Don’t let yourself get put off by the music selections as a lot of them are just the “bitter cough syrup” you take to learn the lesson. ...

Had my first lesson yesterday (lucked out... fun, useful, challenging and encouraging) and the teacher was surprised that I was to happy with the music selections. Same with my violin lessons based on the Suzuki books. It's like I have the ears of a little kid since I've listened to so little over the course of my almost 65 years. Twenty years ago, I was very involved with a form of dance called "eurythmy" (familiar to Waldorf/Rudolph Steiner school aficionados) which is heavy on music theory to determine the choreography and gestures. That old experience is a help, for sure.

Back to Faber and my new teacher. He asked me to play something I had been tinkering with to see where I stood. I jumped to page 90 & 92 and he was alarmed:
Him: "No, no, you have to start from the beginning to get the basics."
Me: "I did, I started at the beginning."
Him: "OK, let's hear it."
Well, kudos to Randal Faber and his teaching materials. Except for the fact that I completely forgot the pedal on "American Fiddle Tune", he was OK with taking it from there.

So I think Faber 1 is awesome but I did have a couple of important takeaways from an actual first lesson:
- Feedback on my hand shape (like holding a tennis ball and with my wrist not permanently above my knuckles)
- Reminder to keep my fingers hovering close to the keys (left pinky likes to do a 'drinking tea with the Queen" thing)
- Playing louder (typical for violin newbies also... the thought being, 'if it's gonna be wrong, it might as well be quiet-wrong.')
- That all these corrections won't happen over night... on going process.

For those of you using the Faber All-In-One, my teacher did say that the little bits of theory in there are not enough on their own. If I hadn't had a beginners grasp on theory, he would already be supplementing the book with additional materials. Like I said, I only have a beginner's grasp so I'm sure there's supplemental theory stuff coming soon.

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2793767
12/21/18 09:53 AM
12/21/18 09:53 AM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
Sounds like a good first lesson! I too battle with my left pinky flying away.

The children’s tunes like “row row row your boat” never bothered me. I already know the melody so it’s kind of fun to learn and play a song I am familiar with. Once I learn a tune I enjoy playing it. Now some songs I like more than others and the difference is I’ll stop playing row your boat once My teacher checks it off but I play the Beatles and Billy Joel almost every day. The Beatles & Billy Joel books are labeled “easy” but they are not easy for me at my current level. I hope maybe they will become “easy” once I am done with the Faber book 3b.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 12/21/18 09:56 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2798521
01/04/19 05:25 PM
01/04/19 05:25 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Offline
Birdgolf  Offline
B

Utah, USA
Any Faber folks out there?

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Birdgolf] #2798665
01/05/19 07:56 AM
01/05/19 07:56 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Yup, recent and so far huge Faber fan here.

As mentioned above, I chose the Faber because I liked the page optics the best, because the left hand is not primarily chords based (gets to play the melody every now and then) and because I think Randall Faber's short videos are excellent. In the meantime, I'm also discovering that the teaching progression is brilliant... one new little skill each piece or two... enough to keep me on my toes without being overwhelming.

Now approaching the end of Book 1 and discussed the next step with my teacher. He was perfectly happy to continue with the "All-in-One" version and just supplement theory knowledge in our lesson discussons. He also prescribed "Hanon - The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 exercises" for technique and finger strengthening.

I've read some frustrated comments about the selection of pieces in beginner methods in general. Sure, I like some of the pieces better than others (my musical preference has always been baroque) but I'm still on board with what ever Faber throws in there. For example, my two assignments for the week are "Aria" (Mozart, p. 121) and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (p. 123) Not hard to guess which I prefer :-) I think the game plan is to appreciate the particular learning learning opportunity in each piece... and then move forward.

@Birdgolf, are you going to continue with Faber after book 4? Also, which version do you use and what, if anything, do you use to supplement it?

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2799604
01/08/19 03:55 AM
01/08/19 03:55 AM
Oregon
G
Ginger Flaherty Offline
Ginger Flaherty  Offline
G

Oregon
Hello all,
Try Another Name clued me into this thread.

I'm not a graduate of Faber yet but wanted to say hello as i start following this thread.

I am just starting out as an adult and using the Faber Regular Series rather than the Accelerated or the Adult. [See post under First lesson on the 4th thread (entry Jan 7) for why].

Today was my 8th day of playing and 3rd day working on Faber Level One Unit One.
My teacher let me choose my first homework song.
I chose the Faber arrangement of "It Don't Mean a Thing if it Aint Got that Swing" from the Faber & Faber Playtime Jazz and Blues Level 1 book. Progress due on my 2nd lesson on Friday Jan 11.

I am having some difficulty with counting the rhythm out loud while I play it. Vocalizing the count, distracts my brain and slows down my hands. But I know my teacher will want me to demonstrate I can count out the rhythm while playing.

The piece is a 5 finger song that starts on a pick up note, has legato and staccato notes, 1/8th notes, dotted quarter notes, some simple chords for the left hand, dynamics, and is meant to be played fairly quickly. I probably should have chosen an easier piece for my 1st week - something like Haunted Mouse.

Well at least I have three more days to practice it before my next lesson and of course it doesn't need to be polished. We'll see how it goes.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2799606
01/08/19 04:07 AM
01/08/19 04:07 AM
Oregon
G
Ginger Flaherty Offline
Ginger Flaherty  Offline
G

Oregon
Hello TryAnotherName,

Just a shout out to another adult learner violin/piano combo player!!!

And I totally agree about the work it takes to pull a good tone/intonation out of my violin... verses it sounding pleasant on the piano right from the start...

Violin is my 1st instrument but that means it takes the pressure off of the piano playing - I can just enjoy the piano not worry about my progress on it, the way I do with my violin.

Cheers

Last edited by Ginger Flaherty; 01/08/19 04:08 AM.
Page 49 of 50 1 2 47 48 49 50

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing DP to acoustic, muffled/metallic sound etc...
by Artur Gajewski. 01/16/19 01:27 AM
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,592
Posts2,782,181
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission