Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Artur Gajewski, Animisha, bambooninja, Alex C, Charles Cohen, A Guy, 90125, 16 invisible), 952 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 48 of 50 1 2 46 47 48 49 50
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2783006
11/21/18 01:37 AM
11/21/18 01:37 AM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Did you do Faber for your other levels?

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2783211
11/21/18 03:56 PM
11/21/18 03:56 PM
F
flyin_gnome Offline
flyin_gnome  Offline
F

Yeah I started with Book 1 of the adult beginner course in January. Those are the only books I've done. Also the theory book by Farber practical theory complete. I breezed through that thing with my former guitar theory background and trumpet playing.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2783229
11/21/18 04:52 PM
11/21/18 04:52 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Do you use the support videos? I think Randall Faber (I think that’s who does the videos) is really good. He goes thru the information and explains stuff well.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2783236
11/21/18 05:02 PM
11/21/18 05:02 PM
F
flyin_gnome Offline
flyin_gnome  Offline
F

I havent heard of those. I take a weekly private lesson and work on them in there. I will look them up though. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2786881
12/01/18 08:03 PM
12/01/18 08:03 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
This pedaling lesson is quite interesting and I got some good advice from the forum. I’m going to continue trying to catch up on pedal study as I don’t expect it to get easier. I’m starting the last part of the chapter with the eighth note/quarter note rhythm. “Yellow Bird” is the song.

Welcome aboard prog_frog. I hope we can build this group up.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: monkeeys] #2786889
12/01/18 08:22 PM
12/01/18 08:22 PM
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
P
prog_frog Offline
prog_frog  Offline
P

Hudson Valley, NY, USA
prog_frog here, checking in!

I'm not yet onto book 2. I'm at the tail end of book 1, and right now am slowing down my practice of Minuet in G and Polovtsian Dances, both of which I'm hoping to bring to performance level. Also played through "Banuwa" for the first time tonight, which I think is the last piece in the book besides the review piece ("Carnival of Venice" I believe).

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: monkeeys] #2786922
12/02/18 12:14 AM
12/02/18 12:14 AM
F
flyin_gnome Offline
flyin_gnome  Offline
F

Originally Posted by monkeeys
This pedaling lesson is quite interesting and I got some good advice from the forum. I’m going to continue trying to catch up on pedal study as I don’t expect it to get easier. I’m starting the last part of the chapter with the eighth note/quarter note rhythm. “Yellow Bird” is the song.

Welcome aboard prog_frog. I hope we can build this group up.

I liked Yellow Bird, took me a minute to get the hand motions down. There are some really great ones after that. I'm am finishing up the last couple of pieces in the book and brought home book 3B so I'm looking ahead as well.

For some reason when I record myself its like pressing the push to forget button as im always making mistakes behind the camera. But perhaps the more I do it the better I will get at it... anyhow here's my quick attempt at the 2nd to last song Novela with out the repeat. Just because I like how it sounds.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-0TQK1edmiYhENTzHGRJ8VNPcsFFvv1_/view?usp=drivesdk

And also tchaikovskys theme from the page before it... and yes it has mistakes smirk but getting there for my lesson Thursday.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--1Oh3KPe8IcukPnkUPgIyBTVMItrY7o/view?usp=drivesdk

Not ready to share to the world of YouTube for hosting videos but hope this works ok.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: flyin_gnome] #2786923
12/02/18 12:16 AM
12/02/18 12:16 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by flyin_gnome
Not ready to share to the world of YouTube for hosting videos but hope this works ok.

Actually, you can host videos on Youtube which are private or which can only be accessed via a link you directly send to people. Both of these types of videos are not searchable/findable on the Youtube search engine or on Google.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2786939
12/02/18 02:14 AM
12/02/18 02:14 AM
F
flyin_gnome Offline
flyin_gnome  Offline
F

Hey thanks. It's been so long since I've put anything on there I guess I didnt remember or think of that.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2786984
12/02/18 08:37 AM
12/02/18 08:37 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Hi Folks... I'm happy to be joining this thread after having received lots of useful advice on buying a used piano elsewhere on this forum. So having nabbed a nice, used piano, I figure it's time to choose a method book.

I've had brief looks at Alfred's, Hal Leonard's and Faber's and am leaning towards Faber's "Adult Bravo Pack 1 (especially interested in the extra Classical book that goes along with the "All-in-One course book 1.)

I was kind of surprised that the Faber book 1 starts with notes and finger numbers "floating around" on a blank page... no staff. I've been learning violin this past year and started straight away with notes on a staff. The Fabers seem to be really good at what they do so can anyone help me understand the whys and wherefores of this "staff-less" approach?

I like the lesson one demo video I saw and would definitely spend the full 2 hours studying them as I go along.
I also like the idea of having an MP3 of the pieces in the book.
If anyone can chime in on how you use and how much you like these AV supplements, I'm all ears...

... and to preemptively answer the "do you have a piano teacher" question:
No, for starters, I'll see how I fare with Faber plus occasional tips from my violin teacher and community orchestra mates.

Nice to meet y'all and thanks for the wealth of info you've packed into this 32 page long thread!

Kawai GE-1
Starting on Faber All-in-One
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2787023
12/02/18 11:11 AM
12/02/18 11:11 AM
F
flyin_gnome Offline
flyin_gnome  Offline
F

Welcome to the fun. I had no idea about the AV supplements until this thread. Have always just worked with a teacher. They seem very helpful though as I've started browsing through them. There is always so much to learn.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2787026
12/02/18 11:24 AM
12/02/18 11:24 AM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
We’re glad you are here TryAnotherName, I came from Alfred’s 1 and didn’t see this free float system. Book 2 doesn’t have anything like that as far as I can tell. Im sure you will get an answer here. Please keep us posted.

I just worked of a few measures of Yellow Bird last night flyin_gnom and it looks to be fun. I’m going to start getting those motions tonight.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2787054
12/02/18 01:18 PM
12/02/18 01:18 PM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
@ Flyin_gnome and @monkeeys: check this out. Seems there is AV support for book two, too :-)
Faber Adult Piano Adventures Book 2 - AV support.

Last edited by TryAnotherName; 12/02/18 01:19 PM.

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TryAnotherName] #2787092
12/02/18 03:35 PM
12/02/18 03:35 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Originally Posted by TryAnotherName
@ Flyin_gnome and @monkeeys: check this out. Seems there is AV support for book two, too :-)
Faber Adult Piano Adventures Book 2 - AV support.

The videos are really good. Its got audio imbedded in the Ebook that I’m not crazy about tho.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2787113
12/02/18 04:30 PM
12/02/18 04:30 PM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Thanks for checking it out, monkeeys. I just called my local music chain store and they have a paper copy so I'm going to check it out before they close tonight.

The sales person in the sheet music department mentioned that Alfred's series was by far their best seller... even to teachers working with students. I hypothesized (hearsay from the web) that teachers may think their students are more satisfied with the left-hand-chords based Alfreds because they can play more rich sounding tunes quicker with that method. The sales person didn't exactly say, no, to that.

I remember learning "Around the World in 80 Days" in 2nd grade (that was 55 years ago :-) with chords. Since I didn't much like learning piano and dropped out a couple of years later, I'm possibly drawing the wrong conclusion today. The store has both so luckily I can check them both out.

Monkeeys, how do you like the chords based approach in book 1? (I think it says you're using that in your signature.) Thx.

Last edited by TryAnotherName; 12/02/18 04:40 PM.

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2787135
12/02/18 05:18 PM
12/02/18 05:18 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
I really can’t compare as I’ve never used the first Faber. I liked the Alfred’s 1 even tho they all have their critics. I’m also doing the pianovideo lessons and I do like her approach to intervals early on. That has helped me with chords. I’d say to just try and look them both over because there are so many opposing opinions. Also, the songs that are in these methods are for instruction and there are concepts involved that are educational. Don’t let yourself get put off by the music selections as a lot of them are just the “bitter cough syrup” you take to learn the lesson. Whatever your choice just set up to be patient. I’m just the opposite by nature I guess and it hindered me early on. There just isn’t any shortcuts. You will do well when you get settled in. 🙂

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2787169
12/02/18 07:14 PM
12/02/18 07:14 PM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Thanks again monkeeys.

Bought the Faber. Besides the fact that it's not as chords based in the beginning as the Alfred's, I found the layout easier on my eye.

I hear you on the "no shortcuts". Just now tackling a couple of sub-optimal violin habits which were the price I paid for having muscled through my first two violin books in record time.

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2787176
12/02/18 08:07 PM
12/02/18 08:07 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
One of my guitar pals took up violin a couple of years ago. We are in the country so it’s Fiddle but he is taking classical lessons. I like the layout in the Faber book also but I haven’t looked at all of the pieces. Little late for that I guess.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2789290
12/09/18 06:59 AM
12/09/18 06:59 AM
South Florida
T
TryAnotherName Offline
TryAnotherName  Offline
T

South Florida
Hi Faber Crew,

So my copy of All-in-One which I picked up last Sunday before the local music superstore closed didn't have to collect dust for too long as my piano was delivered earlier than expected... Thursday afternoon.

Here are some notes on my first couple of days with Faber and the piano... and a couple of questions:

Since, as previously mentioned, I've been learning violin for a year, it wasn't too tough to work through to "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" (p. 51). Learning to "directly" recognize the notes on the bass key is obviously the tricky part for me... just G, F and E so far. I think the smart money is just to absorb the fact that a given "dot" equals a given piano key without having to translate (one space or one line down) from the treble key. In more challenging pieced down the road, there's obviously no going to be time for that kind of thought detour anyway. Since Faber takes this real slow, I'm hoping to escape without an note reading trainer app.

I've looked at Randall Faber's first three short videos and they really speak to me... the importance of feeling the keys, a relaxed wrist and how the hands press down and the wrists lift up to prepare for the next notes. Lovely. Setting up a camera to monitor my violin bowing is something I do every now and then. It's a pain in the neck to set up but the feedback is really useful. Does the same hold for learning piano?

Since I don't know what I don't know :-) what are the most common types of trouble that a beginning self-learner gets into?

To address my initial Faber book puzzlement about it starting with just dots and finger numbers (and then notes written inside the dots) and no staff, I think I get the Faber's purpose. It seems to be a strong message supporting his first videos about feeling the keyboard, not looking at it. All good... BUT... the fingers are not always "hovering" over the same keys! Sometimes the left thumb is on middle C, sometimes on the B. There's going to be a lot more variety in where the hands hover down the road. Any tips on how our brains assimilate just where the hands are (which determines what note a given finger strikes) would be hugely appreciated.

'Nuf questions for starters. Words of wisdom and warning appreciated.

Kawai GE-1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2789362
12/09/18 11:55 AM
12/09/18 11:55 AM
A
anonymous1977 Offline
anonymous1977  Offline
A

Hello Folks - I just became a member today. I bought the Yamaha P-45 a few weeks back during Blackfriday sale at Costco. I got the piano, stand and bench for $399 which is $100 off the list price. I had purchased a piano lesson package from skillssuccess and have been practicing over the last two weeks. However, the lessons are not well organized when the instructor moves from beginning to intermediate and I have shared the feedback with skillssuccess. Needless to say I will not be using the website again for learning.

I do not have any music background. I am 41 and a beginner. I came across this website when I started exploring on-line. I have placed an order for the Faber Accelerated Piano Adventure for Older Adults series. I have ordered the Lesson, Theory, Performance and Technique and Artistry 4 book series for Level 1. Amazon had a coupon for $5. So, I ended up spending $26 for all four. I am hoping to start reading and picking up some skills.

Page 48 of 50 1 2 46 47 48 49 50

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing DP to acoustic, muffled/metallic sound etc...
by Artur Gajewski. 01/16/19 01:27 AM
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,592
Posts2,782,181
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission